Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Philosopher
    • Sep 2008

I think this excavation demonstrates the majesty of the ancient Macedonians, since it is essentially incomparable to anything else in the region. One has to remember the ancient Macedonians had an empire -- Macedonian Empire -- so this is no surprise.

Comment

• Macedonian_Nationalist
      • Jul 2012

Originally posted by Nikolaj View Post

Hephaestion
      Isn't that Peter Pan ?

Comment

• spitfire
        Banned
        • Aug 2014

View photos from Amphipolis Tomb, explore the map and read the latest news

Comment

• Niko777
          • Oct 2010

Comment

• SoutherNeighbour
            • Aug 2014

Originally posted by Philosopher View Post
            Is this excavation being treated differently than other excavations in Greece, say in Crete or Athens?
            Definitely so.I cant recall any other excavation getting so much publicity in Greece.All media keep on doing daily updates and it has been non stop on the news since early August.For example I watch online the SKAI channel central news bulletin which is a big news channel in Greece.I can tell you that there has been no day from early August until today that the Amphipolis tomb is not covered on the central bulletin.

I was not alive during the Vergina excavation but in my lifetime this is truly the most widely covered archaeological discovery in Greece.This is mostly due to Samara's visit who has actually helped turned a scientific discovery and process into a reality show in Greece that puts enormous pressure on the archaeological team and unfairly so .The Greek public is becoming very critical of this ''Amphipolis reality show'' from what I hear.
            Last edited by SoutherNeighbour; 09-14-2014, 10:13 AM.

Comment

• SoutherNeighbour
              • Aug 2014

Δύο καθηγητές πανεπιστημίου ερμηνεύουν το φαινόμενο του τελευταίου μήνα.

Check this article out.Unfortunately in Greek (try using google translate).It describes this huge hype in Greece over the tomb

The article's title in English would be something like ''The Madness around Amphipoli''

An excellent read from today's Kathimerini
              Last edited by SoutherNeighbour; 09-14-2014, 10:21 AM.

Comment

• SoutherNeighbour
                • Aug 2014

Here's the google translate link

Δύο καθηγητές πανεπιστημίου ερμηνεύουν το φαινόμενο του τελευταίου μήνα.

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
                  • Sep 2008

Originally posted by SoutherNeighbour View Post
                  You are right.I guess speaking specifically about Alexander's sexuality should be ok if its somehow linked with this tomb right?
                  I have no issue with people discussing Alexander's alleged sexual orientation(s), irrespective if it is linked to this tomb or not. I just don't want people to start going into specific details regarding sexual acts (be they in relation to Alexander or anybody else).
                  Originally posted by spitfire
                  .......the timing of the re-start of the excavation is a bit weird. And with all that visiting of the prime minister in August making it a... show? They had stopped the excavation 8 or nine months before, so why did it restart now......15 or 20 days before the Nato summit? Where the pm of the republic of macedonia was actually announced as such?

Guesses of mine. This government is right wing, very right wing. They have nationalists as advisors. What if they told samaras to go along with this plan? After all he has nothing to lose with the tomb (except money).
                  In this case, I think it is entirely plausible that something subjective like politics has influenced something (that should be) objective like archaeology. And although a shame, many have come to expect it from the Greek government.
                  In the name of the blood and the sun, the dagger and the gun, Christ protect this soldier, a lion and a Macedonian.

Comment

• Philosopher
                    • Sep 2008

I have no doubt that if this excavation unearths information against the official mythos of Athens it will be censored and possibly destroyed. This is not something I would say is unique to the Greek government. I would say most governments would do the same in order to protect a certain mythos from being exposed.

What will this tomb yield? We may never know the whole truth.

Comment

• spitfire
                      Banned
                      • Aug 2014

You mean if it is from Roman times as suggested by some archaelogists, or something that has to do with the name dispute?

At this time they don't know yet. It could even be an athenian tomb. Amphipolis was an athenian collony until 357BC.

Comment

• Philosopher
                        • Sep 2008

Originally posted by spitfire View Post
                        You mean if it is from Roman times as suggested by some archaelogists, or something that has to do with the name dispute?

At this time they don't know yet. It could even be an athenian tomb. Amphipolis was an athenian collony until 357BC.
                        I am referring to the name dispute. If there is information in this tomb that is against the Greek mythos, I suspect it will be buried. But this is all speculation for now.

What's the latest at the tomb? What is the deadline?

Comment

• spitfire
                          Banned
                          • Aug 2014

There is no deadline. I think that by the weekend we will know more.

You see all that dirt has to be examined too. This is a slow process.

The last official anouncement was on September the 14th.

Here's another link that gets updated often. This one has the claims of the archaeologist about the tomb being one from Roman times.

View photos from Amphipolis Tomb, explore the map and read the latest news

Comment

• Philosopher
                            • Sep 2008

Originally posted by spitfire View Post
                            Here's another link that gets updated often. This one has the claims of the archaeologist about the tomb being one from Roman times.

http://www.theamphipolistomb.com/
                            No, it does not state Roman times. The professor believes the tomb is Roman, not Macedonian.

Mrs Olga Palagia, professor of Classical Archaeology in the University of Athens, believes that the tomb is Roman and not Macedonian.

She states that the Caryatids were the favorite symbol of Roman Emperor Augustus and the monument could be honored to the dead of the Battle of Philippi (Macedonia, Greece), in 42 BC. In the battle of Philippi forces of Mark Antony and Octavian were against the forces of Julius Caesar's assassins, Brutus and Cassius.

Comment

• spitfire
                              Banned
                              • Aug 2014

As the excavation proceeds, there will be need for support. This will slow down a bit further the excavation.

Here's a look why support will be needed. It's because the more you enter inside the more heavier the upper part is.

There will be news update shortly, and information so far says that the whole body of the caryatids will be revealed.

Comment

• sydney
                                • Sep 2008

I find it strange why the entrance to the tomb would not be marked or carry an inscription announcing who is buried there. Is that not the custom?

And if indeed it is both a grave for fallen soldiers and a memorial of a battle, then why is the epitaph seemingly buried deep inside?

Comment

Working...
                                X