Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SoutherNeighbour
    • Aug 2014

It seems that National Geographic's Greek edition is speculating over the possibility that its Alexander's tomb.The title reads : Amphipolis- Could it hide Alexander?

(sorry the link is in Greek)

Comment

• Amphipolis
      Banned
      • Aug 2014

Originally posted by sydney View Post
      Thanks for all the updates on this topic. On a brief side note, is there an authoritative website that you would recommend outlining all the archaeological sites in northern Greece?
      This is the best I could find (excavations per district and year). But... it's not all of them. For instance, there's an important ongoing excavation at Vergina where five new royal tombs were found last year, and I don't see it in the list.

Greece has 39 ephorates of prehistoric and classic antiquities and 28 ephorates of Byzantine antiquities. Each one of them is responsible for a certain district and conducts several excavations simultaneously.

Comment

• Amphipolis
        Banned
        • Aug 2014

This is in Greek.

If you click on any ephorate you can see (on the right) the museums, monuments and archaeological sites they're responsible of. This is the Amphipolis Ephorate (Ephorate No 28)

Comment

• SoutherNeighbour
          • Aug 2014

Daily Mail suggests its either Alexander or Olympias.

A number of scholars believe that the tomb in the Amphipolis region of Serres was built for Alexander the Great's mother Olympias (pictured on a coin).

Comment

• George S.
            • Aug 2009

i don't think alexander is buried there.There are other palaces and places for alexander to be buried.I think we should wait and see may be a dna could be done on the deceased to reveal whether they are greek or macedonian??
            "Ido not want an uprising of people that would leave me at the first failure, I want revolution with citizens able to bear all the temptations to a prolonged struggle, what, because of the fierce political conditions, will be our guide or cattle to the slaughterhouse"
            GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

• Constellation
              • Jul 2014

Originally posted by George S. View Post
              i don't think alexander is buried there.There are other palaces and places for alexander to be buried.I think we should wait and see may be a dna could be done on the deceased to reveal whether they are greek or macedonian??
              This raises a good point. If a DNA test can be performed on the corpse, it would be most interesting to see what the R1a levels of the deceased are.

If the R1a is around 10-15%, which is common in the southern part of the Balkans, then this would disprove the Slavic migration theory, as it would show that pre-Slavic peoples had the same R1a as the modern peoples of the Balkans.

If, however, the R1a is very low in the corpse, say about 1-3%, then it would add credence to the theory that people with high R1a migrated to the Balkans and intermixed, though obviously in very low proportions.

I do not have much faith in the Greek government in providing honest answers, however.

Comment

• Nikolaj
                • Aug 2014

I am not sure testing bones that old would be suitable for DNA analysis.

Last year, researchers estimated that the half-life of DNA — the point at which half the bonds in a DNA molecule backbone would be broken — is 521 years.
                That means that, under ideal conditions, DNA would last about 6.8 million years, after which all the bonds would be broken.

I guess it'll depend on how well the remains have been contained.

Comment

• Sovius
                  • Apr 2009

Originally posted by Constellation View Post
                  This raises a good point. If a DNA test can be performed on the corpse, it would be most interesting to see what the R1a levels of the deceased are.

Y-DNA exists in an either/or state in terms of qualitative analysis. The person in question, if discovered to be a male, will test positive for one haplogroup and one haplogroup only. Numerous subclades (minor mutations) exist within each haplogroup, allowing researchers to reconstruct the movements of various prehistoric and historic populations, as well as, locate their source populations, who preserve earlier mutations that gave rise to later mutations. Source populations also have previous source regions, as all haplogroups in existence today are derived from a population carrying a single haplotype that splintered over time into the many different haplogroups that we can now study today. Words do the same thing, as Dr. Merrit Ruhlen and others have demonstrated many times over throughout the last few decades to the lament of the Slavically challenged.

Comment

• George S.
                    • Aug 2009

at some point in time the remains of alexander were embalmed as is written in extracts even julius caesar saw alexanders body.There is a strong possibility that his body is buried at one of the many palaces he had .Whether it is greece or rom.
                    "Ido not want an uprising of people that would leave me at the first failure, I want revolution with citizens able to bear all the temptations to a prolonged struggle, what, because of the fierce political conditions, will be our guide or cattle to the slaughterhouse"
                    GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

• Amphipolis
                      Banned
                      • Aug 2014

Not good, or accurate, but worth checking.

Αmfipoli-Νews.com: 3D tomb tour - Η Αμφίπολη σε 3D (demo tour) - YouTube

Comment

• George S.
                        • Aug 2009

sounds convincing enough.
                        GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

• Amphipolis
                          Banned
                          • Aug 2014

A stunning mosaic depicting a chariot with a man in motion discovered by archaeologists in the tomb of the ancient caste Amphipolis.

The new breakthrough comes to light while underway from KI' Prehistoric and Classical Antiquities excavated the hill castes Amphipolis and the gradual removal of part of the fill, the second place, behind the Caryatids until the surface floor at a depth of 6m. the dome

The biggest part of a mosaic floor, which covers the entire surface area ie 4.5m. wide by 3 m. along revealed by removing the backfill.

It is made of small pebbles, white, black, greyish, blue, red and yellow. The main scene surrounding cartouche, width 0.60 m., Which is composed of a double loop, and blocks the current thread. The background of the scene is in shades of gray-blue.

The main scene depicts a chariot in motion, drawn by two white horses, which leads bearded man with a laurel wreath on his head. ,

In front of the chariot shows the god Hermes as psychopomp, who once petasos, jacket, winged sandals and holding caduceus. The composition is directed from east to west.

The show is known for its excellent performance in the art of detailed characteristics of both forms, and horses, as well as the harmony of colors. The modern synthesis is the burial complex dated to the last quarter of the 4th century BC The mosaic has been damaged in the center, in the shape of circles, diameter 0,80m. However, many parts of the damaged portion are found in sandy embankment. The next few days will try welding and restoration, to synthesize, to the extent possible, the overall picture of the performance.

The mosaic floor, east and west, it has been revealed in its entirety, as the excavation is still ongoing in these parts. In the south of the mosaic floor and between the piers of Caryatids revealed limestone threshold, covered with white plaster. To the north of the floor revealed the marble threshold of the door leading to the third space, decorated with Ionic molding at bottom.

Also identified, just below the doorframe, inwardly of the third space, a further two portions of the door panels of marble.

Edit: Pictures are coming in the next posts
                          ===
                          Last edited by Amphipolis; 10-12-2014, 06:05 AM.

Comment

• Amphipolis
                            Banned
                            • Aug 2014

Edit: One more

And one more

Last edited by Amphipolis; 10-12-2014, 06:39 AM.

Comment

• Amphipolis
                              Banned
                              • Aug 2014

I should remind you that "swastikas", called double meander, gammadion, tetra-gammadion or tetra-skelion in Greek is a common decorative motive. Here's the mosaic in Olynthus:

Comment

• SoutherNeighbour
                                • Aug 2014

A British expert in archaeology is criticising Greece's culture ministry over the mosaic revealed today.

She is basically saying that the horses depicted are Alexander's and that Greece's culture ministry has unearthed findings linking Amphipolis to Alexander but the ministry purposefully withholds info.

Her claims have quickly spread in Greek media the past few hours

Blogger is a blog publishing tool from Google for easily sharing your thoughts with the world. Blogger makes it simple to post text, photos and video onto your personal or team blog.

Amphipolis: Alexander's Horses

But by refusing to share this information with the people of Greece, the Ministry of Culture has broken their bond of friendship with the people of Greece, whom they serve, and whose taxes fund their work.

I think that it is time that the Greek Ministry of Culture told the Greek people about Alexander's Horses and other finds from the excavation. Please do so

Comment

Working...
                                X