• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • spitfire
    Banned
    • Aug 2014

Originally posted by SoutherNeighbour View Post
    Ok yeah the tune is nice but the words are propaganda.It's like the epitome of Greek propaganda on the Macedonia issue.
    Well if you omit half of the second verse it can be used by anybody.

Comment

• SoutherNeighbour
      • Aug 2014

Here's a failed attempt by the lokatzides to sing it in Thessaloniki during the oxi parade

lol.

It cracked me up big time

http://www.orthodoxia-ellhnismos.gr/

Comment

• Philosopher
        • Sep 2008

Originally posted by spitfire View Post
        I think it is sang in national holidays in schools still. But this became a fashion in the early 90's. I don't remember it when I was going to school.
        You mean the time when Macedonia seceded from Yugoslavia and became a sovereign country? And Greece, fearing the territorial ambitions of a small country, began this anthem in the schools all over Greece? Would this be a fair characterization?

Comment

• spitfire
          Banned
          • Aug 2014

Here's a failed attempt by the lokatzides to sing it in Thessaloniki during the oxi parade

lol.

It cracked me up big time
          It's accustomed for special forces to sing it while they parade. For those forces that are considered of best moral in general. Among other marches of course.
          Last edited by spitfire; 09-08-2014, 11:02 AM.

Comment

• spitfire
            Banned
            • Aug 2014

Originally posted by Philosopher View Post
            You mean the time when Macedonia seceded from Yugoslavia and became a sovereign country? And Greece, fearing the territorial ambitions of a small country, began this anthem in the schools all over Greece? Would this be a fair characterization?
            The song itself is older than that. It's traditional. But as a fashion I do remember it begining at that time in schools. Nor do I remember it during parades before that time.

Comment

• SoutherNeighbour
              • Aug 2014

Yep,spot on.

I doubt anyone knew it before the 90's

Comment

• Philosopher
                • Sep 2008

Ok yeah the tune is nice but the words are propaganda.It's like the epitome of Greek propaganda on the Macedonia issue.
                When was this song written? What is the propaganda aspect? What are the controversial lyrics?

Comment

• SoutherNeighbour
                  • Aug 2014

I think it was first coined when Greece had the tensions with Bulgaria I think it became famous in the army mostly during the 40's with the Bulgarian annexation or even before that.

The controversial lyrics are around the Greekness of Macedonia.Its repeating how Macedonia is Greek and Greece's pride and this kind of crap.

However it was widely sang after the 90's in schools,parades etc
                  Last edited by SoutherNeighbour; 09-08-2014, 11:12 AM.

Comment

• spitfire
                    Banned
                    • Aug 2014

When was this song written? What is the propaganda aspect? What are the controversial lyrics?
                    It was writen at the time of the balkan wars. SN is refering to a verse about Bulgaria that is not sung today.
                    Well you know how it goes with these songs and their lyrics. From time to time they re changing. It's like "la bamba... ".

Anyway, it was more often sung in the northern parts of greece prior to the national anthem. I don't remember it in athens when I was going to school.

Comment

• Philosopher
                      • Sep 2008

Famous Macedonia
                      the land of Alexander,
                      you drove away the barbarians,
                      and now you are free!

You are and you'll be Greek,
                      the very pride of every Greek,
                      and we will be looking
                      at you with pride again!

Macedonians cannot
                      live enslaved,
                      even if they lose everything,
                      they still have their Freedom!
                      I see now. Wikipedia states around 1910.

Comment

• SoutherNeighbour
                        • Aug 2014

See also how in the last verse it implies that Macedonians are Greeks
                        Last edited by SoutherNeighbour; 09-08-2014, 11:27 AM.

Comment

• spitfire
                          Banned
                          • Aug 2014

There are two verses more. And this translation is not so elaborate in meaning, artistically speaking.
                          I found another link but it's in greek. It states that this is a macedonian dance adapted for a military march.

Comment

• SoutherNeighbour
                            • Aug 2014

Anyway bottom line is that its Greek propaganda as a response to the then Bulgarian threat in Macedonia.

I think we are quite off topic

Comment

• Philosopher
                              • Sep 2008

See also how in the last verse implies that Macedonians are Greeks
                              I have often wondered, ignoring the issue of ancient history, when did northern Greeks become consciously Macedonian Greeks? Obviously there is bias built into that statement, for it assumes that northern Greeks have only began calling themselves Greek Macedonians in recent history.

What I am getting at. There are references posted in this forum about "Macedonians" in the 1500s, 1600s, 1700s, speaking a Slavic language. And so what I am curious about is whether Greeks also identified as Greek Macedonian at this time in history, and how these people managed to co-exist? And why are there problems now?

And perhaps more importantly, why is that the authors of the writings of the 1500s, 1600s, 1700s, failed to acknowledge or notice Greek Macedonians?

Comment

• George S.
                                • Aug 2009

the name issue is not an issue to us macedonians.We can simply ignore thwm nothing will happen.Why panic for nothing.Greece has many problems created by itself.
                                "Ido not want an uprising of people that would leave me at the first failure, I want revolution with citizens able to bear all the temptations to a prolonged struggle, what, because of the fierce political conditions, will be our guide or cattle to the slaughterhouse"
                                GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

Working...
                                X