• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dimko-piperkata
    • Sep 2008

Ancient name, modern dispute

By Barnaby Phillips, on August 18th, 2010

I'm off today to the country that I dare not name, lest I offend the Greeks.

Yes, I'm talking about that neighbouring state just to the north. It calls itself - and is recognised as such by many countries across the world - "the Republic of Macedonia".

But Greece is concerned that name implies a territorial claim over its own northern region of Macedonia.

So, at the United Nations, the country is officially known as the Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia, or FYROM.

This is an absurd and clumsy compromise that, almost everyone agrees, has long outlived its usefulness.

But talks between Greece and FYROM/Macedonia, mediated by the UN, have been dragging on for years, with little sign of progress.

At this point you are probably rolling your eyes and sighing in despair, (unless you are from one of the two countries involved, in which case you may be already preparing a furious comment for this blog, informing me that I need to know more about Ancient and Balkan history before I stray into such treacherous waters), but in this part of the world the "name dispute" is important.

The two countries have been discussing new names for FYROM/Macedonia that they could both live with.

"Republic of Northern Macedonia" and "Republic of Macedonia-Vardar" have been mooted as possibilities.

But we soon run into sticking points; the Greeks would like any new name to be adopted by all countries, whereas the government in Skopje has said it should only apply to bilateral relations between it and Athens.

It has argued that those countries (a comfortable majority within the UN General Assembly, by the way) that already have recognised "the Republic of Macedonia" could carry on using that name.

In one sense, Greece holds some strong cards; it can veto FYROM/Macedonia's accession to the EU and Nato.

On the other hand, the Greeks know, regardless of their conviction that they are right, that their insistence on this issue is, to put it politely, frustrating to most of the rest of the world.

George Papandreou, the Greek prime minister, must somehow weigh up the competing demands of domestic and international opinion, at a time when his country is reliant on financial support from abroad.

I'll be interviewing Nikola Gruevski, the prime minister of "the Republic of Macedonia," in Skopje, the capital.

Amongst other things, the Greeks accuse him of appropriating their ancient history, in order to give his country a false sense of identity.

For example, he has renamed Skopje's airport as "Alexander the Great Airport", (you won't be surprised to hear that no Greek airlines land there, hence my journey from Athens involves complicated connections, and takes a lot longer than a glance at a map would suggest).

Look out for the interview on Al Jazeera English in the coming days.
    1) Macedonians belong to the "older" Mediterranean substratum...
    2) Macedonians are not related with geographically close Greeks, who do not belong to the "older" Mediterranenan substratum...

Comment

• fyrOM
      Banned
      • Feb 2010

Bizarro Land: Mak Government pays damages to Businessmen for Bad Weather

This sort of news does not bode well for confidence in anyone with hope and intent on assisting Macedonia in any way when private individuals will not take appropriate steps ie insure their crops to help themselves.

Many people make investments around the world with the understanding that every investment regardless of its nature comes with inherent risks and there is a need to take precautions to aid a successful outcome or minimize loss. No one gets indemnity in speculative investing by the government anywhere in the world and such action by the government of Macedonia can only be seen as waste and mismanagement at best and at worst more akin to outright favouritism and corruption. Does the government have any logical and legitimate explanation for such action or is any aid to Macedonia serving to prop up a corrupt government and society.

Such news and the conclusions it springs in peoples minds only serves to sap the will of everyone who wants to help Macedonia. The government should consider their actions well before embarking on them if they hope to keep any resemblance of propriety and good governance. Most disappointing news which the government need take heed of.

Comment

• Risto the Great
        • Sep 2008

Wow OM, this is actually quite disturbing if it can be verified. I totally agree with you. This must not happen again. Admittedly, the EU subsidies for all EU countries pretty much do this day in day out, but c'mon .... who gets the money here? Everyone or just current Government supporters?
        Risto the Great
        MACEDONIA:ANHEDONIA
        "Holding my breath for the revolution."

Hey, I wrote a bestseller. Check it out: www.ren-shen.com

Comment

• fyrOM
          Banned
          • Feb 2010

It gets worse RTG. Read the article about them in the past which has breed a sense of entitlement.

In what can only be termed 'bizarre' and certainly not seen anywhere else, the Macedonian Government has already paid local (private) businessmen hail and rain damages for previous years

And now they are up in arms for their latest round of cover my losses.

How is anyone in the diaspora going to feel when they take from their own funds to support Macedonia and Macedonian ngos maybe suffer a loss in their own investments and cop it on the chin and then read this sort of thing. Are we trying to build a nation or ensure only certain individuals prosper and rise to prominence in the emerging RoM.

It doesn’t say but I suspect the Prespa region would have mix of ethnic groups but heavily Albanian.

Comment

• Prolet
            • Sep 2009

PM:The 90's are still costing Macedonia today

Saturday, 04 September 2010

The 90’s was the period when large damages were made and opportunities which were missed can not be compensated i.e. the mistakes were of strategic character with consequences felt even today, PM Nikola Gruevski said Saturday after opening the local road from the village of Vizebgovo to Kacanicki pat.

- Privatisation model cannot be mended. The capital of around EUR 5 Billion was made worthless, 200.000 workers were dismissed, and chance for entrance of foreign investments was missed. We will feel the consequences from wrong steps during the transition period for another 20 years, Gruevski said, commenting the political debate on the 90’s.

Regarding the critics from SDSM on his press conference, dedicated to the four-year Government's work, Gruevski said that he did not hear anything essential from opposition besides how he was looking and whether there was tremble in his voice.

The Anti-Corruption Commission prior to budget re-balance had 65% more money planned for this year than it received during the SDSM ruling and I think that its working is not endangered at this point, PM Nikola Gruevski said.

- After the rebalance they have 50% more funds than during the time when SDSM was ruling party. If I’m wrong I call Anti-Corruption Commission institutionally to address to the government and together to find ways to resolve this problem. We will not certainly leave them without resources for work, Gruevski said answering journalist question on accusation of the Anti-Corruption Commission for not having enough resources to work.

Regarding the positive assessment of GRECO organisation for improvement of the corruption in the country, Gruevski said that government’s moves in the past years brought significant improvement in fight against corruption.

PM Nikola Gruevski Saturday stated that he hopes that triple murder that happened Thursday in Aerodrom settlement is only unpleasant event, which will not happen again.

- Such murders happen in all countries but we are doing everything in our power to prevent them. We make a lot of efforts in improving the situation in the police, i.e. procedures for admittance of new members of Ministry of Interior are being improved drastically and I am convinced that we will continue in the same tempo, Gruevski said.

On journalist question whether he is concerned for this personal safety, he said that he is not concerned in general.

МАКЕДОНЕЦ си кога кавал ќе ти ја распара душата,зурла ќе ти го раскине срцето,кога секое влакно од кожата ќе ти се наежи кога ќе видиш шеснаесеткрако сонце,кога до коска ќе те заболи кога ќе слушнеш ПЈРМ,кога немаш ни за леб,а полн си во душата затоа што ја сакаш МАКЕДОНИЈА. МАКЕДОНИЈА во срце те носиме.

Comment

• fyrOM
              Banned
              • Feb 2010

Ohhh…who’s your hero Prolet.
              Nice touch to the signature.How many brownie (nose) point does it get you in the party.

Comment

• Prolet
                • Sep 2009

Macedonian Ministers Visit Ukraine

There will be statue of Sveti Kliment Ohridski in the center of the capital city Kiev. Economic and Culture agreements were also signed.

The delegation was lead by Prime Minister Nikola Gruevski.

Last edited by Prolet; 11-03-2010, 11:26 AM.
                МАКЕДОНЕЦ си кога кавал ќе ти ја распара душата,зурла ќе ти го раскине срцето,кога секое влакно од кожата ќе ти се наежи кога ќе видиш шеснаесеткрако сонце,кога до коска ќе те заболи кога ќе слушнеш ПЈРМ,кога немаш ни за леб,а полн си во душата затоа што ја сакаш МАКЕДОНИЈА. МАКЕДОНИЈА во срце те носиме.

Comment

• kykypajko
                  Banned
                  • Apr 2009

send him a email about this

Comment

• Dejan
                    • Sep 2008

That looks pretty good kykypajko
                    You want Macedonia? Come and take it from my blood!

A prosperous, independent and free Macedonia for Macedonians will be the ultimate revenge to our enemies.

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
                      • Sep 2008

Originally posted by kykypajko View Post
                      Have you sent him an email about it?
                      In the name of the blood and the sun, the dagger and the gun, Christ protect this soldier, a lion and a Macedonian.

Comment

• kykypajko
                        Banned
                        • Apr 2009

Originally posted by Soldier of Macedon View Post
                        Have you sent him an email about it?

i'm waiting for authorization from the "last of the macedonians" on MTO. i wouldn't want to be blamed for being a traitor without getting their blessing

Comment

• Risto the Great
                          • Sep 2008

Originally posted by kykypajko View Post
                          i'm waiting for authorization from the "last of the macedonians" on MTO. i wouldn't want to be blamed for being a traitor without getting their blessing
                          We do tend to measure Macedonians by their actions here. Are you ashamed of something you have done?
                          Risto the Great
                          MACEDONIA:ANHEDONIA
                          "Holding my breath for the revolution."

Hey, I wrote a bestseller. Check it out: www.ren-shen.com

Comment

• kykypajko
                            Banned
                            • Apr 2009

riste,

how do you measure "actions" by posts?? than MTO truly is the home of the last of the macedonians

Comment

• indigen
                              • May 2009

Originally posted by Soldier of Macedon View Post
                              Pelister, I don't believe that Gruevski is a traitor, I certainly don't see him in the same way as I do Gorgievski, Buckovski, Frckovski, Crvenkovski and co. Of all the political leaders we have had thus far, Nikola Gruevski is miles ahead of them all.

I believe he is a Macedonian patriot and is sincere in his efforts at preserving our identity, were it anybody else in his position as PM during the last few years the name would have probably already been changed. The fact is, the negotiations have been dragging on for 2 decades and Nikola Gruevski inherited this problem from previous SDS governments, and he has not given up, despite all speculations, allegations, rumours, etc, he has not yielded to Greece, he respects the truth of his Macedonian ancestry and history, and honours its great figures hence promoting Macedonian cultural richness and unity.

If he sells us out, then of course my tune along with many others will change, but he has been under huge pressures on many occasions and has not sold us out, I will support him so long as he supports Macedonia.
                              SOM, can we have an update on how you see Gruevski today?

Comment

• Rogi
                                • Sep 2008

I'm not sure if any of the pre-existing circumstances have changed?

We can, and do, argue that the mere fact he has not ended the negotiations is in itself an act of treason against the Macedonian people, identity and cause. Moreover, the fact that he formed a coalition with terrorists who tortured and killed Macedonians, is where I lost any faith in his party and Government, it became evidently clear that gaining power for the sake of being in power, like a typical career politician, not for any ideology, was the main driving force. My general view is in line with this, but I cannot rule out with certainty the counter-argument...

It can be speculatively argued that during his time in office, there has been a substantial change among the views of the majority of the Macedonians living in the Republic of Macedonia, where once they were pleading to join EU/NATO at any and all cost, now the majority are against joining those organisations at the cost of the Macedonian name, only a slight majority are in favour of joining those organisations at all and those numbers keep changing further and further in favour of the Macedonian cause, and so one can argue, and I'm only playing devil's advocate here for a moment to stir discussion, that he could be building up the internal support among the Macedonian people for a withdrawal of the interim accord, where previously there was very little support in Macedonia, for such action.
                                Last edited by Rogi; 11-19-2010, 01:33 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X