X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Risto the Great
    • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Prolet View Post
    Risto, So if your grand father left you a house in Macedonia and its passed on to your father then its passed on to you, do you then have to pay tax on it in Australia even though it has nothing to do with Australia??
    If you sell it for more than it was worth when you inherited it (and if you declare it!).... yes. There are a few variables that relate to when your father left it to you and his father to him (pre/post capital gains tax) but the obligation still exists in the first instance.

Originally posted by Prolet View Post
    Risto, What can family courts do if you own a trust?? They cant sue the trust.
    They will try to determine who has real control over the trust. If it is the parents, they lose their pensions, if it is the kids .... they determine which kids. Then the trust assets are treated as though they are family assets for the purpose of family settlements. How do they determine control, they look at the appointor, the trustee(s) and anybody else who has effective control even if they are not listed as either of these.
    Risto the Great
    MACEDONIA:ANHEDONIA
    "Holding my breath for the revolution."

Hey, I wrote a bestseller. Check it out: www.ren-shen.com

Comment

• AMHRC
      De-registered
      • Sep 2009

Australian Government Bows to Greece

AMHRC Press Release 20/10/09

Australian Government Bows to Greek Pressure and Threats and Refuses to Recognise the Republic of Macedonia by its Constitutional Name

Melbourne, Australia – The Australian Macedonian Human Rights Committee (AMHRC) has been disappointed to learn that the Australian government has engaged in dialogue with Australian-Greek organisations on the issue of the Republic of Macedonia’s identity and that it has acceded to some of their demands. These Greek organisations are underpinned by policies aimed at preventing the Macedonian nation-state from exercising its right to self-determination. This has all occurred barely two weeks in advance of Nikola Gruevski’s (Premier of the Republic of Macedonia) planned Australian visit.

A report in the online version of the Greek – Australian newspaper, “Neos Kosmos” (12/10/09) states that “...Greek-Australian organisations have already sent a letter to Kevin Rudd in the light of the Gruevski visit.” The article continues to explain that the author of the letter, director of an Australian based Greek organisation, Paul Kyritsis, pleaded with the Australian Prime Minister to continue using the “FYROM” name in reference to the Republic of Macedonia – especially on the planned signing of a bi-lateral social security agreement between Australia and the Republic of Macedonia during Premier Gruevski’s visit. In this letter to Prime Minister Rudd, Kyritsis concluded with a very thinly veiled threat: “In closing...acknowledging this nation under its provisional name (FYROM)...will...stand as a gesture of both respect and goodwill towards the Greek government and its Hellenic Diaspora by pacifying their budding unrest.”

The Neos Kosmos report moves on to reveal the extent of the bigotry involved by mentioning that the same Greek organisation had actually written a letter to the Australian Foreign Minister, Stephen Smith, protesting the Republic of Macedonia’s usage of its constitutional name on its Australian based embassies and consulates. This outrageous protest was rejected in a response written on behalf of the Australian Foreign Minister by Mr. Sean Singh, Director of the Southern Europe Section in the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT).

However, according to this and a more recent Neos Kosmos report (19/10/09) the Greek community received positive responses from both Mr. Singh of DFAT and from the Australian Foreign Minster, Stephen Smith on the issue of the Republic of Macedonia’s constitutional name. They both affirmed that Australia would continue not to utilise the Republic of Macedonia’s constitutional name and that the offensive “FYROM” name would be applied by the Australian government in the signing of the social security agreement.

The AMHRC rejects this pandering to bigotry and appeasement of threats. Such a rejection has also been made by over 125 countries that have chosen to ignore Greece’s discriminatory policy and recognise the Republic of Macedonia by its constitutional name – among the 125 are the USA, Britain, Canada, Russia and China. The AMHRC cannot understand how it could possibly be in Australia’s interest to ignore what has become standard international practice and continue to support the indecent, discriminatory and unlawful campaign being waged by Greece against the Republic of Macedonia. Moreover, we cannot understand why DFAT would reveal the terms of an international agreement to a set of individuals in no way connected to the matters dealt with in the agreement. This may obviously be construed as a slap in the face by both Australia’s Macedonian Community and by the Republic of Macedonia’s delegation, due to visit Australia next week. It also needs to be asked of the Australian government, if this is the appropriate way to treat an ally? It is not commonly known that the Republic of Macedonia and Australia have been and remain military allies in ground wars in both Iraq and Afghanistan since 2003. The AMHRC has written to Prime Minister Rudd and DFAT requesting clarification on these issues.

Formed in 1984 the Australian Macedonian Human Rights Committee is a non-governmental organisation that informs and advocates to governments, international institutions and broader communities about combating discrimination and promoting human rights. Our aspiration is to ensure that Macedonian communities and other excluded groups in Australia and throughout the world are recognised, respected and afforded equitable treatment. For more information please visit www.macedonianhr.org.au, or contact AMHRC on +61 3 93298960, or via [email protected]

Comment

• El Bre
        • Sep 2008

Discouraging news. Is the Greek lobby in Aus that far reaching?

Comment

• Rogi
          • Sep 2008

Politically, it's like being in Greece.
          In fact the Greek lobby is probably more influential in Australia than it is in Greece.

Comment

• Bill77
            • Oct 2009

Originally posted by El Bre View Post
            Discouraging news. Is the Greek lobby in Aus that far reaching?
            if i am not mistaken, melbourne is the second or third largest greek populated city in the world only after Athens and Solun.
            http://www.macedoniantruth.org/forum/showthread.php?p=120873#post120873

Comment

• Bill77
              • Oct 2009

Anyway, what loss is it for Macedonia that Australia don't recognise it by its constitutional name. They have an identity problem them selves and the land is An English ocupied country. So they can relate to Greece who also ocupy Macedonia and both took it with guns, and both are acused with ethnic clensing. Just like the stolen generation and the attempt to Breed pure aboriginal with a white fellas to completely exterminate the pure indiginess people of this land.

But puting History aside, This is the curent situation in Australia re Macedonians. Any where you go where Translation or Interpretor pamphlets are distributed such as Hospitals, employment services, any Governmental department, The pamphlets clearly states if we need a "MACEDONIAN" interpretor. Or if its basic information, its clearly under the heading "MACEDONIAN". Also all but one televison channels (sbs) mention majority of the time macedonia or macedonian by broadcasters such as sporting comantators when they come across a local kid or man or women that has a macedonian heritage. We are alowed macedonian schools. we are alowed sporting clubs that mention the name Macedonia. I am also certain, to show respect, The aussie Government will address Nikola Gruevski as the macedonian prime minister behind closed doors. Hopefuly thrugh diplomatic discusions we macedonians will benifit such as pension plan and future ties which is the most important for now. I know its week and not good enough of the Australian Government Bowing to Greek preasure, But sooner or later, justice will happen. :rmacedonia

Comment

• Bij
                • Oct 2009

I am not surprised. We (in sydney at least) can't even organise a chook raffle, much less any political representation.

maybe this is why Grujo cut his trip short?

Comment

• Rogi
                  • Sep 2008

Bill77, it will not just happen. The onus is on us to make it so.

Comment

• George S.
                    • Aug 2009

how nonsensical it is one country doesn't like us & they can dictate to another what their behaviour should be.I thought self identification is the go but obviously not.The mighty vote is more important.I wonder what the census shows in melbourne whether there are as many greeks??I'm led to beleive there is a huge number of macedonians perhaps in ecess of 300,000??Sbs is still discriminating by referring to us as fyrom.I think like anybody we need to lobby the government.I think its good that gruevski didn't come as some greeks expressed so much hate for him that there would have been phusical altercations on the streets.I'ts really a continued saga of non recognition of us macedonians to the extent of ridicule & that we don't exist according to the greeks.But somehow the rule of law & human rights must prevail.We know that the truth is with us.
                    Last edited by George S.; 10-21-2009, 05:33 PM. Reason: edit
                    "Ido not want an uprising of people that would leave me at the first failure, I want revolution with citizens able to bear all the temptations to a prolonged struggle, what, because of the fierce political conditions, will be our guide or cattle to the slaughterhouse"
                    GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

• Bill77
                      • Oct 2009

Originally posted by Rogi View Post
                      Bill77, it will not just happen. The onus is on us to make it so.
                      All we can do is keep trying and never giving up. i am not sugesting time only and doing nothing is the way to go. its enevatable the change will hapen just like it was enevatable for the Berlin wall to come down and no one beleived it. But curently, it has all to do with popularity and Government sucking for votes. Justice takes a back seat. Majority rules and minorities suffer. Only when it comes to Macedonias or sebia minority problem the western world has an issue. Haaah Democracy. i shit on democracy. what is Democracy anyway. who sets the standerd of what Democracy is and is not. it is a tool for western governments to use only when it suits them and there arguements for war.

Comment

• Pelister
                        • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Bill77 View Post
                        All we can do is keep trying and never giving up. i am not sugesting time only and doing nothing is the way to go. its enevatable the change will hapen just like it was enevatable for the Berlin wall to come down and no one beleived it. But curently, it has all to do with popularity and Government sucking for votes. Justice takes a back seat. Majority rules and minorities suffer. Only when it comes to Macedonias or sebia minority problem the western world has an issue. Haaah Democracy. i shit on democracy. what is Democracy anyway. who sets the standerd of what Democracy is and is not. it is a tool for western governments to use only when it suits them and there arguements for war.
                        I agree.

Too many double-standards. The Australian government, especially Kevin Rudd is a hypocrit if he fails to recognize our human rights. Considering all his talk about human rights violations in China ... etc

Comment

• Bij
                          • Oct 2009

let's not forget his first act as PM, apologising to the aborigines.

Comment

• George S.
                            • Aug 2009

If kevin Rudd 007 doesn't care about human rights violations in china do you think that he cares about us macedonians.Pliticians only care for themselves.What have the macedonian people done to desrve such treatment.I think greece will stop at nothing & we need to be more vigilant & lobby harder than greece.recognition will come later eventually.I can tell you now greece is definitely not happy that macedonia is recognised by 124 countries & it was actually going to throw in the towel because it can't duplicate what the macedonian people are they exist.Also greece is spending countless of millions of $ to rewrite history to lie & cheat & say in one hand macedonians don't exist & to lie & cheat & say that the greeks are themselves macedonians .
                            "Ido not want an uprising of people that would leave me at the first failure, I want revolution with citizens able to bear all the temptations to a prolonged struggle, what, because of the fierce political conditions, will be our guide or cattle to the slaughterhouse"
                            GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

• XRVOL
                              • Jan 2009

Is it possible Gruevski cut short his visit as a reaction to the "greek" communities' successes?

Comment

• Bill77
                                • Oct 2009

Originally posted by XRVOL View Post
                                Is it possible Gruevski cut short his visit as a reaction to the "greek" communities' successes?
                                I think he had other duties to attend. i think something at the UN but not sure exactly what. But the main reason is, pardon my french but where the fuck is Rudd?????? overseas the rude dog. Did he meat Gruevski at all if not, did he realy give a shit about meating Gruevski. I tell you i am ashamed if not. We need to send a letter of discust.

while i am on aus politics, we need to completly ignore the two main partys from now on and lobby and support toward someone like the Greens. I remember Bob Brown defended us once and i believe many greens around the world do. We need to keep on writing to mr Brown who has Got a voice and show him suport. As of the vic state Gov, i will spit on Bachelor if i ever cross his path, who did nothing for us considering he won his seat election everytime by record margins thanks to the macedonian comunity in the nth suburbs. And what has he ever done for us? sweet F all.

Comment

Working...
                                X