X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dejan
    • Sep 2008

What about 'evski'?

Constellation, how could you not know the above which you have mentioned? It's almost a (Macedonian) educated assumption/observation.
    You want Macedonia? Come and take it from my blood!

A prosperous, independent and free Macedonia for Macedonians will be the ultimate revenge to our enemies.

Comment

• VMRO
      • Sep 2008

There are even Macedonians with surname "Malenko"

I have even come across Macedonians with their last name ending in just an N.
      Verata vo Mislite, VMRO vo dushata, Makedonia vo Srceto.

Vnatreshna Makedonska Revolucionerna Organizacija.

Comment

• Risto the Great
        • Sep 2008

Originally posted by VMRO View Post
        There are even Macedonians with surname "Malenko"
        What a ridiculous name.

I have even come across Macedonians with their last name ending in just an N.
        Usually reserved for the "domazet"
        Risto the Great
        MACEDONIA:ANHEDONIA
        "Holding my breath for the revolution."

Hey, I wrote a bestseller. Check it out: www.ren-shen.com

Comment

• DedoAleko
          • Jun 2009

A greek passport that belonged to a grandmother of mine (my fathers side) issued 1930 has a visa from the kingdom of yugoslavia in it. I can't read how our family surname is written in "greek",but the visa details are written in cyrillic and our family surname is written without a suffix.
          I also have some bulgarian papiers where our surname is "slightly" adapted (to sound more bulgarian I guess),but most interesting is my grandmother's (my mothers side) first name history.Born (in what is today RoM) as Tashka (Ташка) and that is how we all called her, then at some point the bulgarians came and gave her new birth certificate and changed her name to Nadezda (Надежда),then the serbs came and gave her yet another birth certificate where she is registered as Nada (Нада)!
          Last edited by DedoAleko; 07-18-2014, 01:32 AM.

Comment

• makedonche
            • Oct 2008

Dedo Aleko
            How many more changes are we going to allow before we do something about it?
            On Delchev's sarcophagus you can read the following inscription: "We swear the future generations to bury these sacred bones in the capital of Independent Macedonia. August 1923 Illinden"

Comment

• VMRO
              • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Risto the Great View Post
              What a ridiculous name.

Usually reserved for the "domazet"
              The Malenko surname is from the Ohrid region, while the surnames ending with N are from the Kostur/Lerin region.

Comment

• Risto the Great
                • Sep 2008

The Malenko surname is from the Ohrid region, while the surnames ending with N are from the Kostur/Lerin region.
                The Malenko name is awful, but if you swap a couple of vowels, it becomes glorious!

Again, the "N" ending would typically apply to a domazet whereby his name becomes "Malenkin" using the above example. And it goes further than Kostur/Lerin in my estimations.
                Risto the Great

Comment

• DedoAleko
                  • Jun 2009

Originally posted by makedonche View Post
                  Dedo Aleko
                  How many more changes are we going to allow before we do something about it?
                  makedonche, we are all witnesses that things haven't changed much.Maybe it is even worse nowadays than before because we change our names on a voluntary basis, just to please our masters!
                  Last edited by DedoAleko; 07-18-2014, 03:43 AM.

Comment

• Risto the Great
                    • Sep 2008

Makedonche should think about his own name ... or our names in Australia. Many are already Anglicised one way or another. Being called Chris, I'm one of them.
                    Risto the Great

Comment

• George S.
                      • Aug 2009

the anglezizing has basterized the names people are avoiding the old Macedonian names
                      "Ido not want an uprising of people that would leave me at the first failure, I want revolution with citizens able to bear all the temptations to a prolonged struggle, what, because of the fierce political conditions, will be our guide or cattle to the slaughterhouse"
                      GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

• VMRO
                        • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Risto the Great View Post
                        The Malenko name is awful, but if you swap a couple of vowels, it becomes glorious!

Again, the "N" ending would typically apply to a domazet whereby his name becomes "Malenkin" using the above example. And it goes further than Kostur/Lerin in my estimations.
                        Pretty interesting about the Domazet application.

Do you think Risto Altin or his ancestor was a domazet lol

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
                          • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Constellation
                          Why not invent something new? Why not make your surnames entirely unique. Why not "ovia". Like Macedonia.
                          Because there is some precedence in such naming conventions, let alone the fact that it is grammatically correct. Why on earth would they create something new
                          I assumed incorrectly that ski was not native to the southern Balkans and that the Macedonian government began to change surnames (which is true to some extent) to ski. It is true in my family, where the original "ov" later become "ovski".
                          There may have been encouragement to use -ski instead of -ov and -ev in some areas and the imposed -ich in others. Right or wrong, I would suspect that many Macedonians were just fed up with Serbs and Bulgars laying false claim on them. If it was forced by the government then half of Macedonia would not be still using the -ov and -ev surnames.
                          In the name of the blood and the sun, the dagger and the gun, Christ protect this soldier, a lion and a Macedonian.

Comment

• lavce pelagonski
                            • Nov 2009

Constellation,

Have you heard of the Pirinski Tzar Jane SadanSKI?

In everyday selo life people would refer to others by -ovci. Eg. Denes ke odime kaj Klimovci.

What does your surname end in?
                            Last edited by lavce pelagonski; 07-18-2014, 08:19 AM.
                            Стравот на Атина од овој Македонец одел до таму што го нарекле „Страшниот Чакаларов“ „гркоубиец“ и „крвожеден комитаџија“.

„Ако знам дека тука тече една капка грчка крв, јас сега би ја отсекол целата рака и би ја фрлил в море.“ Васил Чакаларов

Comment

• julie
                              • May 2009

Constellation
                              my paternal line there was no ov suffix, but ..evski
                              your assumption the son of applies to the ov only is incorrect, the ski also denoted "son of "

and during tito times surnames were forcibly changed in instances to "ich" for people in the Republic, and they reverted back to the ...ski

Paternal line from Republic

This will be hard for you to grasp as well...but pre Aegean Macedonia forcing the hellenisation of surnames on my maternal line.....they also were known by the suffix ovski.....

what point are you trying to make ?
                              "The moral revolution - the revolution of the mind, heart and soul of an enslaved people, is our greatest task."__________________Gotse Delchev

Comment

• Constellation
                                • Jul 2014

Originally posted by julie View Post
                                Constellation
                                my paternal line there was no ov suffix, but ..evski
                                your assumption the son of applies to the ov only is incorrect, the ski also denoted "son of "

and during tito times surnames were forcibly changed in instances to "ich" for people in the Republic, and they reverted back to the ...ski
                                I do not think "ski" means "son of". It means "from" or originating "from". Your are not the first to point this out, but I do not think it is accurate.

Paternal line from Republic

This will be hard for you to grasp as well...but pre Aegean Macedonia forcing the hellenisation of surnames on my maternal line.....they also were known by the suffix ovski.....

what point are you trying to make ?
                                It is not hard for me to grasp any of this. I will repeat what I have said multiple times...the purpose of this thread is education and discussion. There is no hidden motive to prove or disprove anything.

I assumed incorrectly that "ski" was imposed on top "ov" "ev" and in general "ski" to distance the Macedonians from the Bulgarians. Not because the Macedonians are Bulgarians and not because of some Tito conspiracy.

I have already stated that with my surname, it originally ended as "ov", but later became "ovski".

I still think the thesis about the Bulgarians is accurate, but very off in many other regards.

I now know "ski" has been in use for a long time and has been in a wide variety of regions, including so-called Greek Macedonia.

Comment

Working...
                                X