Macedonian Truth Forum

Macedonian Truth Forum (http://www.macedoniantruth.org/forum/index.php)
-   News and Politics (http://www.macedoniantruth.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Macedonia and the European Union (http://www.macedoniantruth.org/forum/showthread.php?t=9152)

osiris 07-18-2009 02:08 AM

anti slavic sentiment dies hard in western europe combined with the general ignorance about eastern europe its a recipe for disaster.

the result was kosovo a mafia state servicing the iilict desires of the west sex and drugs.

jankovska where do you live a few years ago i was in london and kept running into albanians everywhere from notting hill to soho to edgware rd, you name it they were there

Pelister 07-18-2009 02:34 AM

[QUOTE=Risto the Great;19730]The only reason any Macedonian EU advocates ever existed was because of the ability for Macedonians to interact no matter what side of the (artificial) borders. This will be a reality now WITHOUT being a member. There is no further need for anything more.[/QUOTE]

I still don't see the sense in negotiating our Macedonian Nationality for a fairy tale.

These organizations violate their own charters. What this tells me is that they have to change, not Macedonia.

It seems to me that the individuals in this government put far too much value in membership !

Pelister 07-18-2009 02:38 AM

[QUOTE=Napoleon;19800]Doe anybody know how easy it is for an Albanian resident in Macedonia to gain either an Albanian or Kosovo passport? Also, does anybody have an idea whether or not they travel on Macedonian or Albanian passports as a general rule?

The reason I ask this is because I believe this issue is an essential key in solving Macedonia's Albanian minority question. Although it is inevitable that Macedonia will gain EU membership sooner or later, I feel the longer Macedonia holds out the better. This will be especially so when Albanian and Kosovo citizens are able to visit, work and live in the EU more easily without restrictions while Macedonian citizens can still not do so. This will give many Albanians in Macedonia a powerful incentive to obtain Albanian or Kosovo passports in order to seek greener pastures in the EU. After an fews years, I think Macedonia should enact laws banning citizens holding dual passports and restrict the gaining of citizenship to people who can prove ethnic Macedonian descent.

Western Europe has treated Macedonia so well during the last 100 years or so, why not repay their 'kindness' by giving them large Albanian minorities :clap: :clap: :clap:[/QUOTE]

This has occured to me too.

Any guesses what will happen once everyone in the region has a visa free regime?

Rogi 07-18-2009 11:31 AM

Now that there will be a visa liberalisation for Macedonian citizens (and not for Kosovo or Albania), everyone from Albania and from Kosovo will be applying from Macedonian citizenship. It will be the beginning of a case similar to the Macedonians applying for Bulgarian citizenship.

Now, unless you are from Macedonia, the only way you can gain Macedonian citizenship, is if they are ethnic Macedonians. So, in theory, the number of Albanian citizenships will not increase.

However, with some of the key people who approve citizenship now being Albanians, you can expect that many will be granted a Macedonian citizenship - unless stricter controls, checks and bounds are enforced.

Soldier of Macedon 07-18-2009 07:46 PM

Isn't Albania almost in the EU in any case?

Rogi 07-18-2009 10:23 PM

No, the EU Candidate countries are Croatia, Macedonia and Turkey.

Albania is still not yet a candidate country, they would join the EU some 5 years after Macedonia would, and Macedonia will join the EU in 7-8 years.

Jankovska 07-19-2009 06:55 AM

To get Bulgarian citizenship you need to prove you are ethnic Bulgarian and thousands of Macedonians' proved' this. Why would it be any different with the Albos?
anyways does anyone have a list of countries Macedonians can travel to without a visa? I can't seem to find out.
Thanks

Bratot 07-19-2009 06:19 PM

You dont need to prove you are an ethnic Bulgarian in order to get their citizenship.

All you have to do is to sign for your grandparents to be a Bulgarians.

Risto the Great 07-19-2009 06:35 PM

[QUOTE=Bratot;19841]You dont need to prove you are an ethnic Bulgarian in order to get their citizenship.

All you have to do is to sign for your grandparents to be a Bulgarians.[/QUOTE]
I don't think a third of Bulgaria can do that honestly.

Risto the Great 07-19-2009 07:30 PM

Schengen exemption for Macedonia reduces demand for Bulgarian passports

[url]http://www.sofiaecho.com/2009/07/17/757476_schengen-exemption-for-macedonia-reduces-demand-for-bulgarian-passports[/url]

[QUOTE]
The European Commission recommendation that Macedonian citizens be allowed to enter Schengen countries visa-free from January 1 2010 has caused a drop in demand for Bulgarian passports, Skopje-based Dnevnik said on July 17 2009.

Macedonia is being given the concession along with two other Western Balkans states, Serbia and Montenegro.

Dnevnik, as reported by Bulgarian news agency Focus, said that in recent days advertisements offering to help Macedonians get Bulgarian passports had dropped off and the number of people seeking assistance was "even lower".

There was still some interest in Bulgarian passports, mainly in cases of people wanting to buy motor vehicles.

Bulgaria has been a member of the EU since January 1 2007 but its citizens were given Schengen visa exemption in 2001.

The daily reported that analysts said that the change was proof that Macedonians wanted Bulgarian citizenship for economic reasons.

"It is not clear yet how many Macedonian citizens have acquired Bulgarian citizenship. Bulgarian ambassador in Skopje Miho Mihov said in 2007 that nearly 10 000 Macedonian citizens had acquired Bulgarian citizenship. He said that more than 60 000 people were waiting for Bulgarian passports," the paper said.

A Skopje resident who had been advertising his services as a mediator in securing Bulgarian passports said that no one was phoning him anymore.

"Inquiries have ceased. People consider it unnecessary as next year they will be able to travel with their Macedonian passports. Besides, the procedure for obtaining a Bulgarian passport is lengthy and any applicant will have to wait for at least two years.

"Bulgarian identity cards are still in demand as they can be used for the purchase of cheap motor-cars and be driven later in Macedonia," the intermediary said.

Dnevnik said that the procedure for acquiring Bulgarian citizenship required filing of a declaration that the applicant had Bulgarian ancestors.

The newspaper said that after Bulgarians were allowed to travel visa-free, "Macedonians spotted their chance of obtaining employment abroad at a time of persistent economic crisis and high unemployment rate in their own country".[/QUOTE]

But if they are Bulgarians, surely they would still request their Bulgarian passports. :ostrich