Macedonian Truth Forum

Macedonian Truth Forum (http://www.macedoniantruth.org/forum/index.php)
-   News and Politics (http://www.macedoniantruth.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Macedonia and the European Union (http://www.macedoniantruth.org/forum/showthread.php?t=9152)

Pelister 07-18-2009 02:34 AM

[QUOTE=Risto the Great;19730]The only reason any Macedonian EU advocates ever existed was because of the ability for Macedonians to interact no matter what side of the (artificial) borders. This will be a reality now WITHOUT being a member. There is no further need for anything more.[/QUOTE]

I still don't see the sense in negotiating our Macedonian Nationality for a fairy tale.

These organizations violate their own charters. What this tells me is that they have to change, not Macedonia.

It seems to me that the individuals in this government put far too much value in membership !

Pelister 07-18-2009 02:38 AM

[QUOTE=Napoleon;19800]Doe anybody know how easy it is for an Albanian resident in Macedonia to gain either an Albanian or Kosovo passport? Also, does anybody have an idea whether or not they travel on Macedonian or Albanian passports as a general rule?

The reason I ask this is because I believe this issue is an essential key in solving Macedonia's Albanian minority question. Although it is inevitable that Macedonia will gain EU membership sooner or later, I feel the longer Macedonia holds out the better. This will be especially so when Albanian and Kosovo citizens are able to visit, work and live in the EU more easily without restrictions while Macedonian citizens can still not do so. This will give many Albanians in Macedonia a powerful incentive to obtain Albanian or Kosovo passports in order to seek greener pastures in the EU. After an fews years, I think Macedonia should enact laws banning citizens holding dual passports and restrict the gaining of citizenship to people who can prove ethnic Macedonian descent.

Western Europe has treated Macedonia so well during the last 100 years or so, why not repay their 'kindness' by giving them large Albanian minorities :clap: :clap: :clap:[/QUOTE]

This has occured to me too.

Any guesses what will happen once everyone in the region has a visa free regime?

Rogi 07-18-2009 11:31 AM

Now that there will be a visa liberalisation for Macedonian citizens (and not for Kosovo or Albania), everyone from Albania and from Kosovo will be applying from Macedonian citizenship. It will be the beginning of a case similar to the Macedonians applying for Bulgarian citizenship.

Now, unless you are from Macedonia, the only way you can gain Macedonian citizenship, is if they are ethnic Macedonians. So, in theory, the number of Albanian citizenships will not increase.

However, with some of the key people who approve citizenship now being Albanians, you can expect that many will be granted a Macedonian citizenship - unless stricter controls, checks and bounds are enforced.

Soldier of Macedon 07-18-2009 07:46 PM

Isn't Albania almost in the EU in any case?

Rogi 07-18-2009 10:23 PM

No, the EU Candidate countries are Croatia, Macedonia and Turkey.

Albania is still not yet a candidate country, they would join the EU some 5 years after Macedonia would, and Macedonia will join the EU in 7-8 years.

Jankovska 07-19-2009 06:55 AM

To get Bulgarian citizenship you need to prove you are ethnic Bulgarian and thousands of Macedonians' proved' this. Why would it be any different with the Albos?
anyways does anyone have a list of countries Macedonians can travel to without a visa? I can't seem to find out.
Thanks

Bratot 07-19-2009 06:19 PM

You dont need to prove you are an ethnic Bulgarian in order to get their citizenship.

All you have to do is to sign for your grandparents to be a Bulgarians.

Risto the Great 07-19-2009 06:35 PM

[QUOTE=Bratot;19841]You dont need to prove you are an ethnic Bulgarian in order to get their citizenship.

All you have to do is to sign for your grandparents to be a Bulgarians.[/QUOTE]
I don't think a third of Bulgaria can do that honestly.

Risto the Great 07-19-2009 07:30 PM

Schengen exemption for Macedonia reduces demand for Bulgarian passports

[url]http://www.sofiaecho.com/2009/07/17/757476_schengen-exemption-for-macedonia-reduces-demand-for-bulgarian-passports[/url]

[QUOTE]
The European Commission recommendation that Macedonian citizens be allowed to enter Schengen countries visa-free from January 1 2010 has caused a drop in demand for Bulgarian passports, Skopje-based Dnevnik said on July 17 2009.

Macedonia is being given the concession along with two other Western Balkans states, Serbia and Montenegro.

Dnevnik, as reported by Bulgarian news agency Focus, said that in recent days advertisements offering to help Macedonians get Bulgarian passports had dropped off and the number of people seeking assistance was "even lower".

There was still some interest in Bulgarian passports, mainly in cases of people wanting to buy motor vehicles.

Bulgaria has been a member of the EU since January 1 2007 but its citizens were given Schengen visa exemption in 2001.

The daily reported that analysts said that the change was proof that Macedonians wanted Bulgarian citizenship for economic reasons.

"It is not clear yet how many Macedonian citizens have acquired Bulgarian citizenship. Bulgarian ambassador in Skopje Miho Mihov said in 2007 that nearly 10 000 Macedonian citizens had acquired Bulgarian citizenship. He said that more than 60 000 people were waiting for Bulgarian passports," the paper said.

A Skopje resident who had been advertising his services as a mediator in securing Bulgarian passports said that no one was phoning him anymore.

"Inquiries have ceased. People consider it unnecessary as next year they will be able to travel with their Macedonian passports. Besides, the procedure for obtaining a Bulgarian passport is lengthy and any applicant will have to wait for at least two years.

"Bulgarian identity cards are still in demand as they can be used for the purchase of cheap motor-cars and be driven later in Macedonia," the intermediary said.

Dnevnik said that the procedure for acquiring Bulgarian citizenship required filing of a declaration that the applicant had Bulgarian ancestors.

The newspaper said that after Bulgarians were allowed to travel visa-free, "Macedonians spotted their chance of obtaining employment abroad at a time of persistent economic crisis and high unemployment rate in their own country".[/QUOTE]

But if they are Bulgarians, surely they would still request their Bulgarian passports. :ostrich

Soldier of Macedon 07-24-2009 12:42 AM

[url]http://www.mia.com.mk/default.aspx?vId=66370871&lId=2[/url]

[QUOTE]Skopje, July 23 (MIA) - There are real chances for Macedonia to meet the benchmarks and get a date for opening of the European Union (EU) accession talks this fall , EU Enlargement Commissioner Olli Rehn said Thursday at a joint press conference with Prime Minister Nikola Gruevski.

- However, it will depend on the results that are going to be delivered in the next two months, Rehn said.

The EU will play fair, which means no altering of the criteria for opening of the EU accession talks, Rehn said.

- I am impressed by the quality and speed of the conducted reforms for annulment of the EU visa requirements. It is a confirmation of the commitment, political will of the Government, Parliament and state institutions to achieving the desired goal, Rehn said, pointing out that the list of criteria that Macedonia should meet is becoming shorter.

The remaining tasks Macedonia should complete in order to enter the next phase of the EU integration process include an adoption of law on parliament, changes to the laws on public administration and financing of political parties. The EU enlargement chief also underlined the importance of implementing the Ohrid Framework Agreement.

[B]The name dispute is a bilateral matter, not part of the criteria for opening of the EU entry talks, Rehn said. However the practical start of these negotiations requires the consent of all EU members, he added.[/B]

The EU is welcoming the resumed efforts of UN mediator Matthew Nimetz towards settling the name row, Rehn said.

There are many opportunities that should be exploited for final settling of this matter, he added.

Gruevski reiterated the Government's commitment to meet all benchmarks, saying that in the upcoming period it would be focused on all activities that should result in a positive European Commission report on the country's progress and hence to launching of the membership talks. The EC recommendation for annulment of visa regime is an additional boost to this effect, the PM said.

This afternoon, Rehn is scheduled to meet Parliament Speaker Trajko Veljanovski and members of the National EU-Integration Council. He also had a meeting with President Gjorge Ivanov.

Rehn's visit to Skopje is part of his Western Balkan tour. He visited Belgrade and Podgorica on Wednesday and would head for Sarajevo on Friday.[/QUOTE]

So the name dispute is a bilateral matter, which effectively means that it should not effect Macedonia's chances of gaining entry to the EU. However, because Greece is already in the EU, it is using its veto power as a member to realise aims that are a bilateral matter with Macedonia that does not conern the EU.

Clearly this is wrong, immoral and criminal.

Yet, the European Union turns a blind eye.

Risto the Great 07-24-2009 02:22 AM

You know what ... for the benefit of future (continued) fame ... I will now predict that Macedonia will cause the downfall of the EU. If the EU maintains this level of hypocrisy then surely it cannot maintain itself as an organisation of significance.

Soldier of Macedon 07-24-2009 02:31 PM

The Balkans including Macedonia have always been a power-keg in Europe, anything is possible.

King Makedon 07-26-2009 11:29 AM

There are pro and contras

pro: all garbage scum of macedonia will leave to EU.
contra:new garbage will arrive.

Risto the Great 07-27-2009 06:30 PM

Macedonia Hints at Visas for Kosovo and Albania

[url]http://www.balkantravellers.com/en/read/article/1368[/url]
[QUOTE]Macedonia Hints at Visas for Kosovo and Albania

Text by Balkan Insight

27 July 2009 | Macedonia will follow directions given by the European Commission, EC, in deciding whether to establish a visa regime for citizens of Kosovo and Albania.

According to Macedonia’s Foreign Ministry, this issue has yet to be discussed. Until now, citizens of Albania and Kosovo have travelled freely into Macedonia.

“It is early to discuss this issue. Until the final decision for visa liberalisation [is made], we will be in constant contact with the EC,” ministry Spokesperson Petar Culev said.

Culev said that the Macedonian government will not act unilaterally in determining future policy on the issue.

“This will depend on recommendations given by the EU. If they require us to establish a visa regime with citizens of Albania and Kosovo, then we will respect this decision,” he said.

However an expert on EU integration, Mersel Bilalli, warned that Macedonia should not take such a decision.

“Nothing should change as far as the free movement of citizens of Albania and Kosovo is concerned. But if they want to travel to other European countries, they should possess a valid visa for the country they are visiting,” Bilalli told daily Koha Ditore.

This issue was brought onto the table by the recent EC proposal that Macedonia, Serbia and Montenegro be included on the so-called “white Schengen list”.[/QUOTE]

I hope this happens.

Soldier of Macedon 07-27-2009 06:46 PM

So do I, the only people that don't want this to happen is the Albanians. Why on earth are they allowed to travel freely from their countries into ours in the first place? Albania and Kosovo should be treated no different than our other neighbours.

King Makedon 07-27-2009 07:36 PM

we all know why they all took BG passports. for surviving their business, for a cheap car and for travelling. Now the governement has to change the law for importing used cars from EU so it will be as cheap as in bulgaria. Then they won't need the BG passport anymore. exept criminals.

Soldier of Macedon 07-27-2009 09:48 PM

So much for the forced declaration of 'Bulgarian' origins. The way our Tatar-loving cousins to the east have went about 'assimilating' non-Bulgar populations has to be one of the most comedic in all the Balkans.

Pelister 07-27-2009 11:54 PM

[QUOTE=Risto the Great;20045]You know what ... for the benefit of future (continued) fame ... I will now predict that Macedonia will cause the downfall of the EU. If the EU maintains this level of hypocrisy then surely it cannot maintain itself as an organisation of significance.[/QUOTE]

If the Macedonians can hold it together - and back some pretty simple principles, such as ASK their soveriegn rights and right to self determination be respected.

It could, at the same time, point to the fact that the E.U has been violating the principles of its own charter. It is that simple.

You can't hold a country and a people hostage - for being democratic, accepting human rights, and complying to every international law and treaty - but they can hold the Macedonians hostage, can't they? It is time the Maks woke up.

The E.U has to change.

Soldier of Macedon 07-28-2009 01:36 AM

You're right Pelister, it is the EU that has to change its ways and show some consistency in action, not just words. This hole of an organisation continually turns a blind eye to blatant human rights abuses, and now it wants to abuse our human right to self-identify as Macedonians and dishonour the memory of our ancestors who spilled their blood for the liberty of the Macedonian, our language and our land? Never.

The Macedonians across the world have already decided their own fate, there is no other option but to hold strong and defend our identity as a people from all these vultures that are trying to encroach upon us. This is an artificial dispute created by the modern Greeks, to nobody else is this a problem. We will win this, there is no other option, we will win, and then we will repay the modern Greeks for their hospitality during our emergence as a nation in the modern era. We will not allow our history to be erased by a group of modern Greeks who spoke Albanian and called themselves Romans until some Anglo-Germanic 'enlighteners' taught them who they 'really' are.

The development of our nation comes by natural evolution of the people, modern Greeks needed a state first to create a nation, our people didn't. Modern Greeks needed foreigners to teach them about their (false) history, our people didn't. We [B][I]will[/I][/B] win, and they will pay. Time.

Jankovska 07-28-2009 03:41 AM

True the majority will not be chasing Bulgarian passports but honestly I don't see how the visa's have such an impact on this. People don't get Bulgarian passports just for travel, they get them za pechalba and with the visa's we'll be getting you have no right to work. I am not sure, maybe it is a quiet period because everyone wants to see what is happening.
As for the cars I think our goverment is a joke regarding this- my brother drives a tiko of £3000 in the UK you can buy a BMW for that amount. It's supid

Soldier of Macedon 07-28-2009 06:33 AM

[url]http://www.mia.com.mk/default.aspx?vId=66451564&lId=2[/url]
[QUOTE][B]Swedish FM welcomes Macedonia's progress towards EU membership[/B]

Brussels, July 27 (MIA) - I think we are making good progress. There are open issues we are working on, and we had the opportunity to exchange views on the situation in the Western Balkans. We also discussed about the possibility of moving the region towards European integration. There is no question that the Western Balkans is interesting for the Union, said Swedish Foreign Minister Carl Bildt at a press conference late Monday following the EU-Macedonia Stabilization and Association Council, MIA reports from Brussels.

Bildt's Macedonian counterpart Antonio Milososki agreed, saying that good progress has been made, although there are certain things that need to be completed in the upcoming period, but with an enormous motivation to do this.

"The close cooperation we have established with the European Commission is crucial in Macedonia's approximation to Europe. The country is ready and motivated to move forward regarding the issue and I believe that the October report is our priority, meeting the benchmarks, so that we obtain the EC recommendation for beginning of Union accession talks by the year-end", said FM Milososki.

He added that the Council meeting once again demonstrated that EU-Macedonia cooperation strengthens by the year.

[B]Asked if he shared the optimism of Enlargement Commissioner Olli Rehn that Macedonia and Greece could settle the name issue so that Macedonia opens accession negotiations, Bildt said he was neither optimist nor pessimist, but would rather wait for the [U]EC Progress Report in October[/U], adding that a solution to the problem is in the interest of both parties[/B].[/QUOTE]
What progress report?

Soldier of Macedon 07-28-2009 06:40 AM

[url]http://macedoniaonline.eu/content/view/7652/45/[/url]
[QUOTE]EU - Macedonia meeting in Brussels
Monday, 27 July 2009

FM Antonio Milososki, Deputy PM for European Affairs Vasko Naumovski and Deputy PM for Framework Agreement Implementation Abdilakim Ademi Monday in Brussels will participate at the meeting of EU - Macedonia Stabilisation and Association Council.

Milososki will chair the meeting and Carl Bildt, Swedish Foreign Affairs Minister, will be president-in-office of the Council. Macedonia's progress towards the EU accession and visa liberalisation will be discussed at the meeting.

Sixth meeting of the Stabilisation and Association Council takes place only two months prior to release of the [B]EC Progress Report[/B].[/QUOTE]

Risto the Great 07-28-2009 07:10 AM

More carrots for the mythical golden ultimate carrot.
What a farce.
I hope Gruevski is playing with these fools in the traditional Balkan fashion.

Risto the Great 08-04-2009 10:34 PM

Macedonia will not introduce visas for countries from the region

[url]http://www.focus-fen.net/index.php?id=n189901[/url]
[QUOTE]Macedonia will [B]most likely[/B] refrain from introducing visas for Albania, Kosovo, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Turkey and the other countries falling in the EU black list, the Macedonian daily Nova Makedonija reports. According to experts by placing Macedonia on the white Schengen list, the EU does not require Macedonia to equalize its visa regime with that of the Schengen area countries.
“The country is to independently decide whether or not to introduce visas. This has been illustrated by Bulgaria, which kept putting off the introduction of visas for Macedonia as long as possible” explained Sonja Kostovska of the Center for Policy Research and Development.
Macedonia’s Foreign Ministry has not replied with regard to the allegations by Pristina-based daily newspaper Koha Ditore that Macedonia may introduce visas for Kosovo and Macedonia as of 1 January next year.[/QUOTE]

Wake up Macedonia ... learn to play the game.

Jankovska 08-05-2009 03:00 AM

I don't see them actually introducing visa's for Kosovo and Albania,our Albanian politicians have to much power and are given the right to use any sort of manner to gain anything they want.

NikodimMKD 08-05-2009 11:05 AM

We should have visas for all neighboring states.

Daskalot 10-15-2009 08:45 AM

Macedonia and the EU!

I will start a new thread in regards to Rogi's statement below.

[QUOTE=Rogi;24948]I'd like to see it too.

On another note, actually related to the topic, it seems the news of this report is much bigger than we may think. Apparently Greece will not be blocking Macedonia's EU accession and (supposedly) a date for starting accession talks will be announced in December.[/QUOTE]

I would like to point out that EU does have the requirement of the name change on the agenda, this is what Scandinavian news outlets report.

Daskalot 10-15-2009 08:53 AM

Here is an article from the Danish newspaper, Berlingske Tidende:

[url]http://www.berlingske.dk/verden/makedonien-rykker-taettere-paa-eu[/url]

[QUOTE]
Makedonien rykker tættere på EU

EU-Kommissionen rækker hånden ud mod Makedonien og foreslår forhandlinger om medlemskab. Men først skal en langvarig navnestrid med Grækenland løses.

Onsdag den 14. oktober 2009, 15:11
EU lægger nu op til at starte forhandlinger med Makedonien om optagelse i unionen.

I den årlige udvidelsesrapport noterer EU-Kommissionen, at der er sket så store fremskridt i Balkanlandet det seneste år, at det nu opfylder de såkaldte Københavnerkriterier, som er en facitliste for medlemskab.

Dermed bør EU-landene give grønt lys for reelle optagelsesforhandlinger, lyder konklusionen.

Makedonien blev for næsten fire år siden officielt udnævnt til kandidatland i EU, men siden er der ikke sket de store fremskridt i forhandlingerne. Det skyldes især en navnestrid med nabolandet Grækenland, som har en provins med samme navn.

EU's udvidelseskommissær, Olli Rehn, lægger heller ikke skjul på, at EU-forhandlingerne risikerer at blive blokeret af grækerne, hvis der ikke findes en løsning hurtigst muligt.

- Det her er en meget stærk opfordring til at få løst navneproblemet og fjerne det fra dagsordenen. Det haster mere, end det nogensinde har gjort, for at sikre Makedonien en fremtid i EU, siger han.

På grund af navnestriden går Makedonien i EU-kredse under det mere politisk korrekte navn FYROM (Den tidligere Jugoslaviske Republik Makedonien).

Hvis EU-landene går med til at starte optagelsesforhandlinger, så står Makedoniens EU-drømme dog fortsat foran en årelang proces. Først skal der nemlig forhandles om i alt 35 kapitler, der sikrer, at ansøgerlandets love er tilpasset EU-lovgivningen.

/ritzau/[/QUOTE]

Translated by Google translate:
[QUOTE]Macedonia moves closer to EU

EU Commission reaching out to Macedonia and proposes negotiations on membership. But first a long name conflict with Greece resolved.

Wednesday 14 October 2009, 15:11
The EU is now up to launch negotiations with Macedonia to join the union.

In its annual enlargement report notes the EU Commission that there has been so much progress in the Balkans last year that it now meets the Copenhagen criteria, which is a facit list for membership.

Thus, EU countries should give the green light to the actual accession talks, is the conclusion.

Macedonia was for nearly four years ago officially nominated candidate in the EU, but since there has been much progress in the negotiations. This is mainly due to a name conflict with neighboring Greece, which has a province with the same name.

EU Enlargement Commissioner, Olli Rehn, nor will hide the fact that EU negotiations could be blocked by the Greeks, if there is a solution as soon as possible.

- This is a very strong call to resolve the name issue and remove it from the agenda. It is more urgent than it has ever done for Macedonia to ensure a European future, "he says.

Because of the dispute over the name Macedonia is in EU circles under the more politically correct name of FYROM (Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia).

If EU countries agree to start accession negotiations, so stand Macedonia EU dreams still ahead of a year-long process. First, having traded for a total of 35 chapters, which ensures that the candidate country's laws into line with EU legislation.

/ Ritzau / [/QUOTE]

Daskalot 10-15-2009 09:07 AM

Swedish press, Svenska Dagbladet:

[url]http://www.svd.se/nyheter/utrikes/artikel_3652497.svd[/url]

[QUOTE]Makedonien ett steg närmare EU

Publicerad: 14 oktober 2009, 16.45. Senast ändrad: 14 oktober 2009, 17.28

Makedonien är nu redo att börja förhandla om EU-medlemskap, anser EU-kommissionen.

På gatorna i Makedoniens huvudstad Skopje togs onsdagens besked emot med glädje. Folk viftade med EU-flaggor och bilar tutade. Landet har väntat länge på att få börja förhandla, bland annat på grund av ett bråk med Grekland om rätten till namnet Makedonien.

- Det här ska ses som en mycket stark uppmuntran till att lösa namnfrågan så att den flyttas bort från dagordningen, sade EU:s utvidgningskommissionär Olli Rehn när han presenterade årets utvidgningsrapport i Bryssel.

Han konstaterade återigen att Kroatien närmar sig målsnöret för sina förhandlingar, som beräknas vara klara under första halvåret nästa år. Läget var länge helt låst eftersom Slovenien blockerade förhandlingarna på grund av en gränstvist mellan de båda länderna.

Turkiet började förhandla om medlemskap 2005, samtidigt som Kroatien. Men tempot i reformarbetet är lågt.

- Vi har sett förnyade ansträngningar till reformer, men vi förväntar oss att Turkiet gör mer, sade Rehn.

Till exempel måste yttrandefriheten stärkas, rättssystemet reformeras och rättigheter för fackföreningar förbättras. Dessutom kvarstår kravet att turkiska hamnar ska öppnas för cypriotiska fartyg.

Men det är inte bara bristen på reformer som sätter käppar i hjulet för Turkiet. Motstånd kommer också från Frankrike, Tyskland och andra EU-länder som inte tycker att Turkiet hör hemma i EU.

Även Island har lämnat in en ansökan om medlemskap, som håller på att gås igenom av EU-kommissionen just nu. Det finansiellt omskakade Island skiljer sig från de andra EU-aspiranterna. Geografiskt, men också för att mycket av EU-lagstiftningen redan är införd och att demokratin är stabil. Men därmed inte sagt att förhandlingarna kommer att bli smärtfria, tvärtom väntas många strider om fisket.

Bryssel TT-Reuters
[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE]Macedonia one step closer to EU

Published: 14 October 2009, 16.45. Last update: 14 October 2009, 17:28

Macedonia is now ready to begin negotiations for EU membership, believes the EU Commission.

On the streets of the Macedonian capital Skopje was Wednesday's statement received with joy. People waved Union flags and cars chimed. The country has been waiting a long time to start to negotiate, partly because of a quarrel with Greece on the right of the name Macedonia.

- This should be seen as a very strong incentive to resolve the name issue so that it moves away from the agenda, "said EU Enlargement Commissioner Olli Rehn as he presented this year's enlargement of the report in Brussels.

He noted once again that Croatia is approaching the finishing line in their negotiations, which will be completed during the first half of next year. Location was quite long since locked Slovenia blocked the negotiations because of a border dispute between the two countries.

Turkey began negotiations for membership in 2005, while Croatia. But the pace of reforms is low.

- We have seen a renewed effort at reform, but we expect Turkey to do more, "said Rehn.

For example, freedom of speech strengthened the judicial system reformed and improved rights for unions. There is also the requirement that the Turkish ports to be opened to Cypriot ships.

But it's not just the lack of reform that puts spanner in the works for Turkey. Resistance also comes from France, Germany and other EU countries who do not believe that Turkey belongs in Europe.

Although Iceland has submitted an application for membership, which is being reviewed by the commission at this time. The financially shaken Iceland differs from the other EU aspirants. Geographically, but also because much of the EU legislation is already in place and that democracy is stable. But this is not to say that the negotiations will be painless, contrary expected many battles on the fishery.

Brussels Reuters[/QUOTE]

Daskalot 10-15-2009 09:17 AM

Norwegian press, Dagbladet:

[url]http://www.dagbladet.no/2009/10/14/nyheter/utenriks/eu/8579559/[/url]

[QUOTE]Makedonia ett skritt nærmere EU-medlemskap

Og Kroatia nærmer seg mållinjen.

EU-kommisjonen anbefaler at det innledes forhandlinger med Makedonia om medlemskap i unionen. Samtidig nærmer Kroatia seg mållinjen.

- Vi kan nå anbefale at det åpnes forhandlinger om medlemskap med Den tidligere jugoslaviske republikken Makedonia, sa utvidelseskommissær Olli Rehn onsdag.

Rehn sier at Makedonia nå i tilstrekkelig grad oppfyller de politiske og økonomiske kriteriene for å innlede samtaler om medlemskap.
Navnestrid

Men fortsatt gjenstår blant annet en strid med Hellas om landets navn, som grekerne ikke anerkjenner.

- Jeg håper myndighetene i Skopje ser dette som en anledning til å bilegge navnestriden som har vært med oss de siste 18 årene, sa Rehn.

Forslaget om forhandlinger må støttes av alle 27 EU-land før samtalene kan starte. Makedonia søkte om medlemskap i 2005.

Det har lenge vært opplest og vedtatt at EU først må få på plass sin nye Lisboa-traktat før nye utvidelser av Unionen kommer på tale. Men i sin årlige gjennomgang av situasjonen for gruppen av EU-aspiranter, kunne Rehn slå fast at prosessen for alle landene er på sporet.
Kroatia først

Først i løypa ligger Kroatia, som Rehn anslår kan være klart til å vurderes for opptak neste år.

- Kroatia nærmer seg målstreken, fastslo Rehn.

- Men landet må forbedre seg i kampen mot korrupsjon og organisert kriminalitet. Landet må også gi FNs krigsforbryterdomstol for det tidligere Jugoslavia (ICTY) tilgang til dokumenter, sa Rehn.

Den ferskeste kandidaten, Island, kan komme i mål på samme tid som Kroatia, ifølge Rehn.

- Det er mulig at Kommisjonen kan presentere sin mening om Island før jul, sa Rehn til nyhetsbyrået Reuters. Deretter er det opp til EUs medlemsland å åpne for forhandlinger.

- Islands søknad gir en ny dimensjon til vår dagsorden for utvidelse, ikke bare geografisk, men også når det gjelder EUs rolle som en økonomisk stabiliserende kraft, sa Rehn.

(NTB)
[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE]Macedonia one step closer to EU membership

And Croatia is approaching the finish line.

The European Commission recommends opening negotiations with Macedonia's membership in the union. At the same time Croatia is approaching the finish line.

- We can now recommend that it will open negotiations for membership with the former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia, said enlargement commissioner Olli Rehn on Wednesday.

Rehn says that Macedonia now sufficiently fulfills the political and economic criteria to begin talks on membership.
Name Conflict

But still remaining including a dispute with Greece about its name, as the Greeks do not recognize.

- I hope the authorities in Skopje sees this as an opportunity to settle the name dispute that has been with us over the past 18 years, said Rehn.

The proposal for negotiations must be supported by all 27 EU countries before talks can start. Macedonia applied for membership in 2005.

It has long been read and approved the EU must first put in place its new Lisbon Treaty before the new expansion of the Union comes the voice. But in its annual review of the situation for the group of EU aspirants, could Rehn to establish that the process for all countries are on track.
Croatia only

First, the trail is Croatia, which Rehn estimates may be ready to be considered for admission next year.

- Croatia is approaching the finish line, "said Rehn.

- But the country must improve itself in the fight against corruption and organized crime. The country must also give the UN Criminal Tribunal for the Former Yugoslavia (ICTY) access to documents, said Rehn.

The latest candidate, Iceland, can reach the goal at the same time as Croatia, according to Rehn.

- It is possible that the Commission can present its opinion on the Island before Christmas, said Rehn told Reuters. Then it is up to EU member states to open negotiations.

- Iceland's application adds a new dimension to our agenda for expansion, not only geographically, but also as regards the EU's role as a stabilizing economic force, "said Rehn.

(NTB)[/QUOTE]

As you can see Scandinavian press tells a different story, the name is still on the agenda.

Daskalot 10-15-2009 09:23 AM

In other words, change your name and the EU will accept you.

No can do.

TrueMacedonian 10-15-2009 03:35 PM

I agree. And let me state something here as well. I personally do not think that the EU is a worthy organization for Macedonia to join. I am opposed to it joing the EU for many more reasons than just the name issue. Europe is looking to write a revisionist history which excludes "dirty slavic history". I know people who think I am crazy for stating this. But there is evidence of the following here - [url]http://www.macedoniantruth.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1038[/url]

I know where many people think joining the EU is a great thing. However I personally see it as a wrong move which will look to eliminate an identity that withstood many many obstacles and hardships in the making. One which needed no German or Western 'assistance'. One in which people like Pulevski, a self-taught Macedonian, states that Macedonians are Macedonian and their language is Macedonian and they live in Macedonia.
So I hope Macedonia never joins this organization. I know it's invariably hard to just say "to hell with the EU and NATO" in the world of politics and that it's much harder for politicians to state things like this. But in my humble opinion Macedonia should not look any further into the EU. If it means a name change then we don't want it.

Risto the Great 10-15-2009 04:47 PM

The EU holds little excitement for me.
But we now have a situation where the USA has unhealthy influence and control in Macedonia. To not get into the EU might be more damaging in the short term.

Naturally it would be better to get away from the USA as well. Hence my often stated desire for Macedonia to put on its best lingerie and start looking for numerous "friends".

TrueMacedonian 10-15-2009 04:58 PM

[QUOTE=Risto the Great;24972]The EU holds little excitement for me.
But we now have a situation where the USA has unhealthy influence and control in Macedonia. To not get into the EU might be more damaging in the short term.

Naturally it would be better to get away from the USA as well. Hence my often stated desire for Macedonia to put on its best lingerie and start looking for numerous "friends".[/QUOTE]

I agree RTG. I hope Australia gets its act together and recognizes Macedonia. Australia could really be a good friend for Macedonia to have as well as an influential one.
Turkey is a natural ally for Macedonia and I am proud that Macedonia has a very good relationship with them. I am also happy that Russia is an ally of Macedonia as well. Unfortunately Western Europe is a craphole when it comes to Macedonia. Ireland is a good friend to Macedonia, but racist France agrees with modern "greece's" stance on Macedonia. It's really not a place for Macedonia to be in the EU. Macedonia under US influence is probably better than Macedonia with a name change in the EU with :asshole:'s for friends.

Risto the Great 10-15-2009 05:34 PM

[QUOTE=TrueMacedonian;24974] :asshole:'s for friends.[/QUOTE]
No truer words!

I am deeply concerned with the USA influence in Macedonia at the moment. If we become too sidelined from the EU, then the USA will continue to greet Macedonia with open arms and unprotected sex.

TrueMacedonian 10-15-2009 06:44 PM

LOL RTG I love your choice of words and analogies lol.

Bill77 10-16-2009 02:16 AM

Hello to every one here. My first post.

I am finding Daskalot above scandanavian quotes somewhat disapointing, Not towards Daskalot, but the EU sentiment acording to the articles. infact i am finding it confusing.
I just came across an article which i will attach the link below, where it states Bilateral issues should not obstruct EU accession. This conclusion is part of the EU Draft Enlargement Strategy, which the european commission should adopt and publish during this week. So i am just scratching my head and trying to come up with answers to the following questions,

A) why such conflicting reports coming out. Are EU realy united?
B) Why is there no follow up on this report made on idi vidi web site. it is a major issue
C) Did i read the idi vidi report (below) corectly?
D) Does anyone else know anything about the claims made on the report on idi vidi

[url]http://www.idividi.com.mk/English/Macedonia/554200/index.html[/url]

Soldier of Macedon 10-16-2009 02:55 AM

Welcome Bill, I am sure that some of the others here can provide some answers to your questions. I have personally become tired of all the conflicting stories, hard to tell what exactly is going on, but then again, nothing much seems to have changed.

Bill77 10-16-2009 03:14 AM

Thanks Soldier, well it shows,
A) we can't depend on the circus called EU
B) we can't rely on some web sites.

anyway since i am here, can i ask for instructions on how to attach a PDF file to a post? certain albanians on a greek site :) need to be educated......... well i don't like my chances in teaching thick heads something but at least i will serve truth and justice. :)

Soldier of Macedon 10-16-2009 07:16 AM

I am not sure if it is even possible for a PDF attachment, I think it may have to be a link. One of the other admins like Daskalot or Orovnichanec might know more.