X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Amphipolis
    Banned
    • Aug 2014

This is an outline of the press conference (google translation). If you're interested in any of these parts I can give an accurate translation. I suggest you read it in time sequence from bottom to top.

The workshop was completed.

15:20

Even the lamps used in the excavation was mine type, explains Ms. Mendoni, due to the specific conditions in the Tomb castes. So I became involved Egnatia SA, at the invitation of Ms Mendoni. The Secretary General also stresses that Egnatia SA is a private company.

15:16

Ms. Mendoni says that the typical thing, has for two months ask Mrs. Peristeri prepare the dossier that the excavation of the tomb Castes be described as systematic. Currently considered rescue. But after the discovery of the first statues were absolutely justified, anyway, the rescue operation.

15:14

Fatigue, rather, says Ms. Mendoni, Ms. Peristeri reported on volunteers, while in fact it was just for a single collaborator of. The Secretary General Ministry of Culture denies that there volunteers issue in the excavation. The workshop consisted of permanent craftsmen Ministry of Culture, says Ms. Mendoni.

15:13

Given the occasion, Ms. Mendoni says it is crucial the composition of a group of scientists who will undertake a single anthropological approach to the study of the skeleton. So I delayed the relevant assignment until identified this group.

Ms. Lina Mendoni seems unhappy silence of Peristeri Ms and refusing to give details of the frame, hence took the floor itself.

He explains that the skull of the skeleton was found a short distance from the trench. Just outside the trench found the jawbone. There are many bones, but the basin has been crushed by falling stones and so it is impossible to immediately diagnose the sex of the deceased.

15:12

Spoke Ms. Lina Mendoni, general secretary of the Ministry of Culture, motivated, "both the questions and the answers," as emphasized.

15:02

The personnel of the excavation, says Ms. Peristeris, many volunteers participated with particular interest in the region. There are strong reactions. The archaeologist explains that these volunteers worked for a short time.

15:02

Nevertheless, it seems that, as announced at the briefing at the museum of Amphipolis, the skeleton is relatively "able-bodied". There are at least, i.e., the skull and bones of limbs.

14:57

Ms. Peristeri stubbornly refuses, despite strong and Repeated pressure journalists to give further details for the frame.

14:45

Mr. Lefantzis says they have found parts of the pedestal of the Lion of Amphipolis, which was formed in marble relief shields.

14:45

The monument, however, can only be funded with huge amounts.

14:44

He noted that the Deinokratous not associated with the tomb of Alexander the Great. Whether Deinokratous was he who designed the Tomb caste is a different matter.

14:40

O n. Lefantzis protest, saying that "we've been crazy to different scenarios," addressing a journalist who has question about Deinokratous, the great ancient architect.

14:29

Mr. Lefantzis clarifies wrongly mentions architraves with performances in the case of sections thringou.

In the next two-three months appreciates Ms. Peristeri there will be picture of the geophysical survey carried out this year in Tomb castes.

And emphasizes the huge dimensions of the Tomb, something extremely important and rare.

14:28

Mr. Lefantzis adds that as an architect considers that the course will highlight data will reveal the fullness of the monument.

14:11

The dig at Mrs. Peristeri has not completely finished, just currently the first phase has been terminated.

13:59

The monument is attributed to an architect and a single arrest confirms Mr. Lefantzis. There was neither marble inlays at a later stage.

13:57

Red pottery has been found, but have found coins of Alexander the Third, which was common for hundreds of years, so it is not a reliable source of dating.

13:55

Ms. Peristeri denies Amphipolis attempts Canadian mission archaeologists. "Mr. Peru," he said, "digs in the clay, which is located in the region, but not related to the Tomb castes."

13:53

Ms. Peristeri clarifies that the excavators had no way capable of safeguarding the monument, so it was critical that the personal interest of the Prime Minister.

13:53

Because Amphipolis, when Ms. Peristeri was an area where rampant antiquities. So that the Prime Minister himself worked, made a difference in the measures Storage, which intensified after the visit.

13:51

Ms. Peristeri says that thanks to the visit of Prime Minister Amphipolis August, ensured the salvation of the excavation.

13:50

According to Mr. Lefantzi, the monument to the Tomb caste belongs to a class of its own.

These data are investigated.

Indeed, says Mr. Lefantzis, there was railing. There controlled access, as the precinct prevented somehow, entering.

13:48

Ms. Peristeri says the precinct of the monument was open at the point of entry.

13:48

They belong to different phases up to the 3rd AD century, much later of the monument itself.

13:47

But from other rooms there pottery and coins, findings which are studied.

13:37

Ms. Peristeri says that the main chamber there are no offerings.

13:33

The polders became after the looting, always according to Mr. Lefantzi.

13:32

About looting, the architect says it is wrong to consider the holes in the drum of the dome as diodes grave robbers. The stones were missing because from there crossed the embankment.

13:32

Mr. Lefantzis says that the first sealing wall was in the air, 80% rooted in the soil.

13:31

It states that what was originally said on looted monument was based on sealing walls and the estimate that would hardly have penetrated robbers -but denied by the excavation.

13:27

Ms. Peristeri answered a question on the embankment (polders). He says that the embankment was simultaneously with the sealing walls. Prompts patience to clarify the temporal sequence of events.

13:26

Sure there have been disasters and desecration in ancient times, since it was so prestigious and impressive that it was not easy to escape the fury of grave robbers.

13:25

Ms. Peristeri replies that Amphipolis is an area that has suffered many attacks but that the monument was originally visited.

13:22

Mr. Miltiades Hatzopoulos, archaeologist, asked if it could be assumed to have been destroyed, hence sealing walls are added for protection.

13:18

Ms. Peristeri states that its view is that the lion on top, could the buried personality is one of the generals of Alexander the Great. Emphasizes "could", not some certainty.

13:15

According to Mr. Lefantzi observed interventions and repairs to the monument, however, is limited. Also the fanatical Christians had very little contact with the monument.

13:04

Replying to a question by Ms Kokkorou-Flour, professor of archeology, Mr. Lefantzis spoke of a "puzzle" in the third chamber. No subsequent paratopothetisi materials, ie reconstructed in the second phase.

13:04

Currently Ms. Peristeri in rejoinder to be detailed to the frame. It provides images of the skeleton. For first time.

13:03

Also, Mr. Englishman complains something important: That the previous excavation attempts caused major damage, inadvertently of course, the monument.

13:03

But this did not happen, so the natural causes for backfilling excluded.

13:00

Mr. Englishman says that in a surge of flood walls would have overturned entirely or would have disintegrated.

12:59

Therefore, the burial site stood before the construction of the Tomb.

12:59

Would collapse, which is based on mathematical simulations, says Mr. Englishman

12:58

Mr. Englishman technical analyzes that would be impossible to have built the pit of the third chamber after the monument.

12:58

Indeed this is necessary, because without weight dissolves and collapses, he noted. Englishman.

12:57

The "court" was constructed without endangering the statics of the monument, where the dome is designed from the outset to handle the weight of the structure.

12:53

Above the monument there is now a "court" to relieve the interior pressure, says Mr. Englishman

12:52

As says. Englishman, there is constant monitoring and preparedness to care for the stability of the monument.

12:50

Englishman: A lasting and serious problem for the support of the monument is the uneven pressure distribution on the first and second chamber.

12:48

Mr. Englishman reveals that they often had to place, remove and reposition the fixing trellis up to 20 times.

12:47

Englishman: Simply put, a small error or delay, the most important part of the monument could have collapsed and reburied the soil for the second time, possibly covering and current victims, says civil engineer who was responsible for shore up the monument

12:47

Englishman: Used 180 sections of scaffolding to create an adequate to keep the roof truss.

12:46

In practice, as says. Englishman, least ten pieces from the roof of the third chamber fell upon entering the research team.

12:46

He was in a state of limit equilibrium and increased risk explains engineer

12:31

Englishman: The hardest part was to shore up the main burial chamber

12:26

"Technical work by excavating and backfilling (cut and cover)» characterizes the technical jargon in the civil engineer monument Mr. Dimitris Englishman.

12:26

That is, the monument at the Lefantzi covered during the Roman period.

12:25

After the dismantling of the enclosure should be done and plowing of the monument, in the Roman era.

12:22

Lefantzis: We found the last shoe of the crane, which remained unchanged from the time of construction, shocking.

12:22

Mr. Lefantzis presents slides with reconstruction work in the ancient era. He believes that the rafts carrying the marble blocks through the Struma, also used as scaffolds for the construction of Leo on top.

12:21

As shown by the topographic Tomb, the tomb was not exactly the direction towards the center of the hill, but grows from the periphery inward, somewhat oblique and slightly to the east.

12:17

The statue of Leo stared southeast. Mr. Lefantzis render detail, geometric Ms. math elements why Leo was on the top of the Tomb.

12:15

On whether it is architectural letters engraved in the grounds, dating from the time of its construction, Mr. Lefantzis replied that is the subject of study and "need not be expanding into discussions about their meaning."

12:14

"There is a relationship right balance among the members of the precinct and those of Leo," says the architect, therefore, according to Mr. Lefantzi, there is identification of the monument with the lion.

12:08

The precinct in plan appears as circular, in space but is oval, with two centers and slope from north to south, it was, even he has to flow.

12:08

"Suddenly growing number of archaeological finds, like magic," says Mr. Lefantzis

12:07

Mr. Lefantzis reveals that residents obviously pieces back from the wall, which held in their house, secretly!

12:07

Incorrect because Broneer did the restoration, used horizontally, like stairs, pieces of Perivolo the tomb Castes

12:05

The base of the Lion as it is today, in the opinion of Mr. Lefantzi is incorrect

12:03

The domes of Perivolo carved on site to precisely adapted to each other, explains Mr. Lefantzis

12:03

The Bulgarians and the Austrians attacked the barges that were wrecked, so the ancient members were saved - if they remained at the bottom of the Struma.

12:01

12:00

Mr. Lefantzis says a witness to history. In 1916 a British brigade was preparing to transfer 1,000 pieces of the precinct, along with Leo, in Britain.

12:00

Ms. Peristeri completed the presentation. Then takes the floor Mr. Lefantzis.

11:59

When the frame is in such circumstances take all protective measures, together with the earth, that the anthropologist to be able to do research, Ms. Peristeri responded to persistent questions from journalists on the frame

11:59

In powerpoint, Ms Peristeri failed photos of the skeleton. In her view, currently the post photos is meaningless.

11:57

Peristeri: We do not know who or what is dead

11:45

Ms. Peristeri presented photo of a marble architrave beam above the Caryatids, which, falling, destroyed the head of a daughter. Therefore, the version on the vandalism of this statue is excluded.

Ms. Peristeri said confident that the Lion of Amphipolis was on top of the Tomb. In the area of Leo as it is today we have pieces that belonged to the original form of the base, which is identical to the blocks of the enclosure. Michael Lefantzis has a digital design representation.

The part of the enclosure that remains intact and found about 80 meters from the 497 total perimeter explained Ms. Peristeri

"We found traces even an ancient crane, with which removed pieces of the precinct for several other works, road construction, etc."

11:44

"In the 3rd AD century was the destruction of the enclosure of the Tomb cast by the Romans "said Peristeri

11:43

"We started in 2012 by a local reputation. That the tomb had cast the "Tomb of the Queen", "were the first words of Ms Peristeri
    Last edited by Amphipolis; 11-29-2014, 05:19 PM.

Comment

• George S.
      • Aug 2009

when is that going to be available to the public or ist all under wraps??
      "Ido not want an uprising of people that would leave me at the first failure, I want revolution with citizens able to bear all the temptations to a prolonged struggle, what, because of the fierce political conditions, will be our guide or cattle to the slaughterhouse"
      GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

• Redsun
        • Jul 2013

13:50 According to Mr. Lefantzi, the monument to the Tomb caste belongs to a class of its own.

Meaning what? Cannot be compared with?

Is it all over now?

Three and a half hours, was that the conclusive report for the whole excavation?

When it was mentioned that a skeleton was found I thought to myself we will never know who it was. What can be told by just observing a skeleton? I thought they would mention a crown on top of the head... Nothing. the identity, it will never be known.

What rubbish.

For some time now my only one interest in this discovery was the clothing.

I remember reading about Alexander when I was little and how he wore a long sleeve tunic, I am uncertain of the correct definition for tunic as it is a Latin word created by the Romans, it is now used to define certain clothing that predates the Romans.

When ever I would hear a conversation about Macedonians someone would mention barbarian, and I would wonder to myself how could Macedonians be considered barbarians when they wore long sleeve tunic's and the Greeks below them wore Togas.

Amphipolis would a toga be considered a short-sleeve tunic? Are they different pieces of clothing all together? I always thought a toga was a very loose bit of clothing, a sheet draped over the shoulder and tied together.

I have yet to come across any information mentioning Athenians or Spartans wearing "long-sleeved" tunic's, has anyone?

Comment

• Nikolaj
          • Aug 2014

So... When are we going to see the results of the DNA analysis?

Comment

• Amphipolis
            Banned
            • Aug 2014

A first clear picture of the skeleton.

Comment

• George S.
              • Aug 2009

They would have to identify the skeleton.""When it was mentioned that a skeleton was found I thought to myself we will never know who it was. What can be told by just observing a skeleton? I thought they would mention a crown on top of the head... Nothing. the identity, it will never be known.""

What rubbish.""
              Yes indeed.
              "Ido not want an uprising of people that would leave me at the first failure, I want revolution with citizens able to bear all the temptations to a prolonged struggle, what, because of the fierce political conditions, will be our guide or cattle to the slaughterhouse"
              GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

• Nikolaj
                • Aug 2014

Did they not order a DNA analysis, am I wrong on this? Why did they suddenly stop speaking about the DNA tests? It seems as though they're trying to make the public forget about the skeleton. That it's useless, that there's no background or data you could recover from this skeleton. Why would this be?

Comment

• George S.
                  • Aug 2009

The skeleton will reveal the dna and the age they know full well to avoid it.Also of who it is?
                  GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

• Amphipolis
                    Banned
                    • Aug 2014

Originally posted by Redsun View Post
                    The archeologist believe it was visible until the 3rd century AD? That is a long time.
                    Not only visible, visitable. That’s quite clear now, not just a theory. The marble doors of the burial chambers had left traces of having opened and closed many times.

It does seem humanly impossible. What makes it obvious that the last "disturbance of the skeleton" occurred after the chamber was covered with soil?

I had a little difficulty with this, and the word "reordered" I assume you meant to put the skeleton together instead of leaving it scattered about?

We are talking about looters right? I don't think they could possibly have any consideration for the people of the tombs that they raid, no respect for the dead. Why would you plunder a tomb rob a corpse and then look around at your fellow looters and say "hey guys, lets show the dead some respect by piecing him back together, even though we robbed all his belongings I'm sure he will look down upon us and appreciate what we have done"
                    No, we’re talking about the protectors of the tomb. One simply guesses that if looters had entered (when there was no soil) and thrown the bones here and there, the city people who decided to put a lot effort to cover with soil the whole thing in order to protect it, would first tidy up.

One alternate theory is that people left it as it was because it would be too sacred to touch it.

Another theory is that looting took place during the process of covering, when the soil height was lower.

I don't think it mattered if it was covered or uncovered, this would not alter the way that you would expect a looter to leave the scene.
                    The sequence of events DOES matter a lot. An even greater mystery lies on the heavy marble door that was broken and found in pieces at several levels among the soil

You believe the looters raided the tomb after it was buried, they must be excellent at their job how could they manage such a feat when it took the Greek government an immensely large amount of time to dig inside and setup the scaffolding to hold up the ceiling. How did the looters ensure that the ceiling would not collapse?
                    Basically yes. It seems very difficult and dangerous but far from impossible. There’s a difference on the careful way excavators proceed to remove the soil and the way of a looter. Think of a man who digs a tunnel to escape from a prison. In antiquity there was no apparent reason for the ceiling to collapse. The looters would get in from the entry (where the sphinxes are) and would walk on the benches and pass through the holes that were used for the process of covering with soil.

I don't understand how their could be no clothing present.
                    Clothing disintegrates and is the last thing we expected or worries us. It is more important and disappointing that the grave seems poor and older, as if it was already there and later a grant monument was built around it to honour the dead. Actually, even THAT theory is not perfect. Lastly, we expected the dead to be burnt, but this one is not.

==
                    Last edited by Amphipolis; 12-01-2014, 04:34 AM.

Comment

• Amphipolis
                      Banned
                      • Aug 2014

Originally posted by George S. View Post
                      when is that going to be available to the public or ist all under wraps??
                      What, the tomb?

Comment

• Amphipolis
                        Banned
                        • Aug 2014

13:50 According to Mr. Lefantzi, the monument to the Tomb caste belongs to a class of its own.

Meaning what? Cannot be compared with?
                        We’re not sure what it was. Not exactly a Macedonian Tomb, not exactly a Temple.

Is it all over now?

Three and a half hours, was that the conclusive report for the whole excavation?

When it was mentioned that a skeleton was found I thought to myself we will never know who it was. What can be told by just observing a skeleton? I thought they would mention a crown on top of the head... Nothing. the identity, it will never be known.

What rubbish.
                        I was reading the opinion of a guy who was present. He said he’s mostly disappointed on the way it was covered by newspapers. According to him it lasted more than 5 hours, the alleged dramatic moments and angry reactions were not so dramatic and angry. This guy supported Peristeri who was calm beyond expectations and he said most of the question had already been covered by the main presentations. Many people acted a little like you. Why is the dead like this? Why this? Why that? Well, Persiteri gave a simple and disarming answer. “Well, this is the dead that we found”. LOL, I mean, what can you do? It’s not Alexander, he’s looted (no surprises here), we don’t know if he wore a crown, we don’t know if we’ll find his name.

For some time now my only one interest in this discovery was the clothing.

I remember reading about Alexander when I was little and how he wore a long sleeve tunic, I am uncertain of the correct definition for tunic as it is a Latin word created by the Romans, it is now used to define certain clothing that predates the Romans.

When ever I would hear a conversation about Macedonians someone would mention barbarian, and I would wonder to myself how could Macedonians be considered barbarians when they wore long sleeve tunic's and the Greeks below them wore Togas.

Amphipolis would a toga be considered a short-sleeve tunic? Are they different pieces of clothing all together? I always thought a toga was a very loose bit of clothing, a sheet draped over the shoulder and tied together.

I have yet to come across any information mentioning Athenians or Spartans wearing "long-sleeved" tunic's, has anyone?
                        Athenians and Spartans had various types of cloths depending on the era, the profession etc. They wore a thing called candys that had cheiris (long sleeves) and is considered a Persian influence.

Normally a king, a general, a rich or powerful person of that era would have been burnt. The burnt bones would be carefully gathered, sometimes washed, cleaned from flesh and ashes and burnt again and put in a box called larnax. It is impressive in the (alleged) bones of Philip that even though they’re in thousands small pieces, almost nothing is missing.

Comment

• Amphipolis
                          Banned
                          • Aug 2014

Originally posted by Nikolaj View Post
                          So... When are we going to see the results of the DNA analysis?
                          A DNA analysis is not even decided yet. The team that will do the analysis of the skeleton is not even determined yet. After they are assigned and receive the skeleton I believe we can expect the results in three phases, totally lasting a maximum 7 months.

The first phase that would take less than a week will give obvious things like age, sex, height, injuries etc. The more detailed analysis will gradually provide info about his health, diet, probable cause of death etc.

Comment

• Amphipolis
                            Banned
                            • Aug 2014

Originally posted by Nikolaj View Post
                            Did they not order a DNA analysis, am I wrong on this? Why did they suddenly stop speaking about the DNA tests? It seems as though they're trying to make the public forget about the skeleton. That it's useless, that there's no background or data you could recover from this skeleton. Why would this be?
                            Originally posted by George S. View Post
                            The skeleton will reveal the dna and the age they know full well to avoid it. Also of who it is?
                            You may confuse it with a recent info of DNA analysis being ordered for some of the dead of Vergina, namely the alleged bones of Philip, Roxanne and Alexander IV. Actually even this one has not been ordered yet, it’s probably decided and still pending.

DNA analysis is important as it will at least exclude some of the theories.

When the Amphipolis skeleton was found Antikas gave a series of interesting interviews that included the above information. My suspicion is that Antikas wanted to affirm his prestige in order to get the Amphipolis job too or participate in it. Personally I like him for the additional reason that he DOES want the DNA analysis. When he was asked “Is the Ministry blocking this process?” his answer was diplomatic “No, the Ministry agrees, the process is just pending”.

Comment

• George S.
                              • Aug 2009

Does'nt the ministry have to approve it first???They have to look at the results before they are released.There is no way they are going to let detrimental results to negate greek claims on macedonia??
                              GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

• sydney
                                • Sep 2008

Amphipolis,

You appear to be very close to the work that is being conducted. Why do you have such interest in sharing the insights on this forum?

On the remains that have been found, considering it would be customary for the body to be burnt and the bones treated as you have outlined, is it possible the remains are that of a grave robber? If there are any such suspicions, would the tests on the remains still proceed?

Thanks again for the information you’re sharing.

Comment

Working...
                                X