• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Amphipolis
    Banned
    • Aug 2014

Originally posted by George S. View Post
    so is the greek govt going to share all its finds with the world or only a few??
    Referring to this excavation (and until it is completed) their choices are unclear. Usually there’s an announcement and new pictures twice a week. Yet, what they reveal and when they reveal it depends on the time they need in order to have an adequate short presentation and analysis that will be avoiding serious mistakes.

That means they probably found the mosaic at one point; they started revealing the rest of it and cleaning it, they analysed and studied it and finally made the first announcement (amazingly this time) without ANY leaks before it. I estimate this took at least two weeks. According to the last press conference they also have minor movable finding including pottery and nails that haven’t been presented yet.

I believe that the first proper scientific announcements (meaning papers in scientific journals) will be coming in a year from now (or more) but regarding the number, topics, Greek or foreign collaborating authors it’s too early to say. The usual practice suggests Peristeri will be leading and deciding on the academic part, too.

Is there freedom of expression in the archaelogical world??HOw much.?
    Based on the latest quarrels (involving Palagia and others) freedom of scientific-political expression is limitless. Their recklessness was also limitless.

Comment

• Nikolaj
      • Aug 2014

Originally posted by Amphipolis View Post
      Referring to this excavation (and until it is completed) their choices are unclear. Usually there’s an announcement and new pictures twice a week. Yet, what they reveal and when they reveal it depends on the time they need in order to have an adequate short presentation and analysis that will be avoiding serious mistakes.

That means they probably found the mosaic at one point; they started revealing the rest of it and cleaning it, they analysed and studied it and finally made the first announcement (amazingly this time) without ANY leaks before it. I estimate this took at least two weeks. According to the last press conference they also have minor movable finding including pottery and nails that haven’t been presented yet.

I believe that the first proper scientific announcements (meaning papers in scientific journals) will be coming in a year from now (or more) but regarding the number, topics, Greek or foreign collaborating authors it’s too early to say. The usual practice suggests Peristeri will be leading and deciding on the academic part, too.

Based on the latest quarrels (involving Palagia and others) freedom of scientific-political expression is limitless. Their recklessness was also limitless.
      As much as I would like to believe I could trust them, I really just can't. But believe me I wish I could.
      Lets say they find something that works against the Greek position, do you honestly think they'd reveal the find?

Comment

• Amphipolis
        Banned
        • Aug 2014

Originally posted by Nikolaj View Post
        As much as I would like to believe I could trust them, I really just can't. But believe me I wish I could.
        Lets say they find something that works against the Greek position, do you honestly think they'd reveal the find?
        Yes. First, think again what you're asking for. What is the "Greek position"? What could "work against it"?

Comment

• Amphipolis
          Banned
          • Aug 2014

Breaking News: The head of the Easten Sphinx is found!!!

Google Translation:

The marble head of the Sphinx, the excavation revealed the tomb of Amphipolis castes.

According to the official information of the culture ministry's head is intact with minimal breakage nose, height 0.60 m., While identified and assigned to the trunk of the Eastern Sphinx, which was inlaid.

"Turns to enter and bear pole. At the bottom of the neck survives undamaged section of the bearing at the point of insertion of the trunk. He has wavy locks, bearing traces of red color, which fall in the left shoulder, and retained a thin film. This magnificent art sculpture. Also found fragments of the wings of the Sphinxes "marked the official announcement of the Ministry of Culture, stating further:

"Today, a trial trench (2Ch2m.), At the entrance of the fourth space and depth 0.45M. In front, in this area revealed two sections, the western wing of the door, and which belong together. The first is dimensioned and second 0,89CH1,49CH0,15 0,89CH1,30CH0,15.

Also discovered in the northern part of the marble threshold, which has a total length 2,15m. width of 1.6 m. and a thickness of 0.25m. Convex bearing recesses for the insertion of metal rails that facilitate the movement of the door leaves marble.

As is clear from this section here was limestone flooring, bearing white coating. On either side of the threshold identified, in situ, the limestone floor. On the east side of the intersection of the floor appears to have collapsed, while to the west the floor is damaged and fallen stones of the interior of the intersection. "

Over the next few days planned removal of fallen limestone slabs from within the third space and the parts of the door, which describes the communication. It will strengthen the prop, to continue excavations in the remaining area of the third space.

Last edited by Amphipolis; 10-21-2014, 04:00 PM.

Comment

• Philosopher
            • Sep 2008

Amphipolis is like the god Hermes. Is this excavation still commanding attention in Greece? Still bickering between academic scholars?

Comment

• Amphipolis
              Banned
              • Aug 2014

This finding is increasing the mystery:

-How the hell is the head of the sphinx found (under the soil) in the third chamber (apparently) carefully and respectfully placed?

-How did the marble door break?

-What the fuck happened to this monument and when?

Comment

• Nikolaj
                • Aug 2014

This finding is increasing the mystery:

-How the hell is the head of the sphinx found (under the soil) in the third chamber (apparently) carefully and respectfully placed?

-How did the marble door break?

-What the fuck happened to this monument and when?
                Welcome to Greek archeology

Comment

• Gocka
                  • Dec 2012

Originally posted by Nikolaj View Post
                  Welcome to Greek archeology
                  LMAO

I don't know why we even follow these things. What are we expecting?

Comment

• George S.
                    • Aug 2009

So is it sll deemed classified? It has to go through various govt chsnnels to be cleared?
                    "Ido not want an uprising of people that would leave me at the first failure, I want revolution with citizens able to bear all the temptations to a prolonged struggle, what, because of the fierce political conditions, will be our guide or cattle to the slaughterhouse"
                    GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

• Amphipolis
                      Banned
                      • Aug 2014

Originally posted by Gocka View Post
                      LMAO

This could be my fault. As there's a huge hype in Greece I might misinterpret there's some interest here too.

So is it sll deemed classified? It has to go through various govt chsnnels to be cleared?
                      It's not... a military secret, but we didn't have major incidents of leaks, e.g. someone selling unseen photos or videos from the excavation to the press. There are about 50 people working there on a daily basis (ranging from scientists to technicians, guards and even Albanian workers) and 50 more who may enter there for shorter intervals or special reasons or people who work on the findings at a laboratory in the nearby Amphipolis Museum.

All these people have wives, friends etc. so minor or major leaks should be expected, like "a mosaic was found", "a door to a fourth chamber was found" etc. There are many people in Greek fora, or even in foreign archaeologist websites (e.g. Dorothy King) who would suddenly claim they know something from inside information, and we always wonder if what they say can be credible.

Comment

• Amphipolis
                        Banned
                        • Aug 2014

Sorry, the bold part of this sentence is also incorrect or at least not clear yet. I had read pages and pages of interesting and creative theories (which I'm not willing to accept or share) about what could have happenned, so that was not right. Many things are to be cleared about the exact position of each finding in the soil, the hight above the floor etc.

Comment

• George S.
                          • Aug 2009

Is the greek media like the free press?
                          Sre they able to report clearly without kexposing the govt line.SOme media may turn a blind eye.THe public have a right to know.
                          Last edited by George S.; 10-22-2014, 02:21 AM.
                          "Ido not want an uprising of people that would leave me at the first failure, I want revolution with citizens able to bear all the temptations to a prolonged struggle, what, because of the fierce political conditions, will be our guide or cattle to the slaughterhouse"
                          GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

• Nikolaj
                            • Aug 2014

Originally posted by Gocka View Post
                            LMAO

1) Greek fabrication.

2) Demolishment of findings that don't suit the Greek position.
                            3) Continuity of Greeks in the comments relating the finding to the naming dispute.

Comment

• spitfire
                              Banned
                              • Aug 2014

For the first time I saw an anouncement from the ministry of culture in the night.
                              That's what happened yesterday. It may not mean something but it's strange. Especially when there was no talk about such important findings during the same day.

As for why we are interested in the matter, it's fascinating, that's why. Regardless of what the tomb really is. It's like reading a novel.

Comment

• Amphipolis
                                Banned
                                • Aug 2014

Yes. That's really exciting.

(Google translation)

And suddenly, Tuesday afternoon, at around 17:30, while most members of the excavation team working in the tomb castes had left and the lights were closed, one of the archaeologists, shortly before he left, distinguished between the soils of the third chamber a ... statue.

Immediately raise the alarm by Lina Mendoni who was present at the excavation, the excavation team returned to the mound Castes and later together spellbound, carefully removing the soil that was around him, saw the head of the Sphinx, the new finding of Amphipolis which startled and caused new waves of emotion.

A head that add even a puzzle to the existing mystery of the tomb of Amphipolis.

How did the marble head of the Sphinx, who weighs about 100 pounds, inside the tomb and spaced 12 meters from the entrance?

Professor of Classical Archaeology at the Aristotle Theodosia Stefanidou-Tiberius, speaking on "Step", identify the head of the Sphinx in the second half of the 4th century BC, ie after 330 to 320 BC
                                How'd yet so far away from the body?
                                "It's a mystery. Obviously moved by human hand ", says" Step "Mrs. Stefanidou-Tiberius.
                                "It was not easy to cast itself as deep inside the tomb. Only earthquakes can happen, but then crumbling walls and no other damage, while here enclosed spaces, "he explains.
                                He adds: "It is noteworthy that no significant deterioration of the Sphinx's head. Only the nose and lips are broken, ordinary wear points with falling heads to the ground. "

How archaeologists found the head in front of the Sphinx

According to reports, archaeologists Tuesday to see if there is a step on the threshold of the third doorway and trying to reach the door width 0.96 meters located on the fourth septal wall (ie at the end of the third chamber) and is a of the many puzzles in the tomb of Amphipolis, made ​​an incision 2x2 meters in the soil which is full of the third chamber of the tomb.

The incision was made in front of the threshold of the third doorway.

Starting slowly the earth, first found wings. Feathers are the bodies of Sphinxes 'guards' of the tomb, which was broken.

And just below a sculpture ... That moment signaled alarm. The members of the excavation team chief archaeologist Katerina Peristeri alerted to return immediately to the mound castes.

The headlights lit and archaeologists caught brushes and began to withdraw slowly and carefully the soil. What emerged was initially reddish pigtails head, wrapped with an elaborate movie.

"It is the head of the Sphinx!"

"It is the head of the Sphinx!" Exclaimed one of the members of the excavation team.

And he was right. When the soil was completely removed, came to light very impressive, excellent art head of the Sphinx. According to the press release of the Ministry of Culture, was found with his nose (the only place in the face of the statue of wear) in the soil.

A meeting of the group of archaeologists to be photographed findings and formulate conclusions in a press release, issued immediately contact Anna Panagiotarea responsible and sent to all the media.

How the head of the Sphinx found within 12 meters from the entrance of the tomb

Besides great surprise and thrill, this new finding adds a puzzle and mystery complicates the mound castes.

The new question is why the head of the Sphinx, who -simeioteon- weighs about 100 pounds, was found inside the tomb and also so long, just 12 meters from the entrance, hidden in the sand.

According to information from the excavation team, the head of the Sphinx seems to have "xekoumpothei" from the body at the entrance, as there are slots in both the head and body, and a snap on the other with absolute precision.

In simple words, it looks like someone "undid" the head of the body of the Sphinx, you got your arms, move inside the tomb, and after having gone through a distance of 12 meters to the left down, intact, without the draw or the break.

Who did this and why are questions that at this stage of the excavation can not be answered.

However, according to information, it is conceivable scenario the mound at the beginning, immediately after the construction of the words, they were visited, and after some years decided to be sealed with soil, what this could mean.

It will restore full Sphinxes

The archaeologists involved in the excavation at this time appear hopeful that removing the soil from the third chamber will be found and the head of the western Sphinx. Also reportedly found all the pieces of the wings of the Sphinxes, which will be glued. Thus, the Sphinxes will be fully restored and revisit the whole and in all its imposing glory.

The next steps of archaeologists

The aim of archaeologists is to reach the point in the fourth septal wall where there is a small flap of 0.96 meters. Indeed, the intersection of 2x2 meters in the soil of the third chamber was precisely for this reason. To create a path that will lead them to the door and to enable them to solve the mystery of the tomb. To be able to see if the door leading to the burial chamber, if thereafter the monument continues underground, although there stops.

Another craftsman made ​​the Caryatids, else the Sphinxes

Following the new finding, the head of a sphinx, and study the archaeologists working on the excavation believe that sphinxes and caryatids are not made by the same craftsman.

This is because, according to sources from the excavation team, the Sphinx is different, special and most exquisite art than what the Caryatids.

Apart from the stunning performance of the facial features of the Sphinx and the performance of different types of Caryatids, and this suggests that the caryatids carved on a monolithic piece of marble, which was carved in situ.

While Sphinxes made ​​of different pieces (body, head, wings) and possibly from other quality marble.

Speculate, in fact, that the Sphinx is the work of craftsmen Attic workshops.

Source: The New Puzzle of Amphipolis: How the head of the Sphinx was found 12 meters away from the body | iefimerida.gr http://www.iefimerida.gr/node/174966#ixzz3Gsd77ife
                                Last edited by Amphipolis; 10-22-2014, 08:55 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X