• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Amphipolis
    Banned
    • Aug 2014

Originally posted by SoutherNeighbour View Post
    A British expert in archaeology is criticising Greece's culture ministry over the mosaic revealed today.

She is basically saying that the horses depicted are Alexander's and that Greece's culture ministry has unearthed findings linking Amphipolis to Alexander but the ministry purposefully withholds info.
    A funny and pretty girl, but her blog is not to be taken seriously. According to herself, that is!

By the way, her comment was NOT about the mosaic and she also said she's drunk and she needs to drink some coffee!! So you'll have to wait a few hours until she wakes up and (hopefully) explains what she said.

And that is the internet era.

Comment

• spitfire
      Banned
      • Aug 2014

I'm not an expert but this mosaic when revealed in its entire entity will show a second person on the chariot.
      Also the hat of the person in front, is typical of thessaly cavalry.

Palagia is probably having nightmares now.

Unfortunately the double maeander has already been exploited by golden dawn. Though I can't say I didn't laugh with their remarks about Merkel visiting Greece to see the tomb (the swastika is banned in Germany).
      Last edited by spitfire; 10-12-2014, 08:58 AM.

Comment

• George S.
        • Aug 2009

There is no rush to reveal anything until they clear it.They wouldn't want to discredit themselves.
        "Ido not want an uprising of people that would leave me at the first failure, I want revolution with citizens able to bear all the temptations to a prolonged struggle, what, because of the fierce political conditions, will be our guide or cattle to the slaughterhouse"
        GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

• spitfire
          Banned
          • Aug 2014

I'd bet on the timing of the revelations according to political developments however George S.

155 yeses the day before yesterday? Whaddayaknow?

Yes I know... conspiracy theories... .

Comment

• George S.
            • Aug 2009

no not conspiracy theories.Political agenda.Also propaganda machine.
            "Ido not want an uprising of people that would leave me at the first failure, I want revolution with citizens able to bear all the temptations to a prolonged struggle, what, because of the fierce political conditions, will be our guide or cattle to the slaughterhouse"
            GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

• Amphipolis
              Banned
              • Aug 2014

Originally posted by spitfire View Post
              I'd bet on the timing of the revelations according to political developments however George S.

155 yeses the day before yesterday? Whaddayaknow?

Yes I know... conspiracy theories... .
              The problem is that there's NO timing (or logic) in this case, unless you're kidding.

Comment

• spitfire
                Banned
                • Aug 2014

Originally posted by Amphipolis View Post
                The problem is that there's NO timing (or logic) in this case, unless you're kidding.
                Well a couple of buckets more of dirt could be removed and show us maybe what's there on the chariot. To see how similarly this depicts the scene as it is in the Vergina tomb.
                Of course this has no logic too since the suspense has to be kept.

From the view of the wheel of the chariot I'm pretty sure that the man on the chariot is turned right and holds the rein with his right hand. What is he doing with his left hand?

Right now I'm raising the bet. I'd say that Samaras will do everything for a few seconds more in power.
                This is becoming ridiculous.

There's two horses one is darker than the other. What a suspense! Could it be Bithikotsis burried in there?
                Last edited by spitfire; 10-12-2014, 04:45 PM.

Comment

• Dejan
                  • Sep 2008

I should remind you that "swastikas", called double meander, gammadion, tetra-gammadion or tetra-skelion in Greek is a common decorative motive. Here's the mosaic in Olynthus:

Also present in Macedonian mosaics. See Heraklea
                  You want Macedonia? Come and take it from my blood!

A prosperous, independent and free Macedonia for Macedonians will be the ultimate revenge to our enemies.

Comment

• Macedonian_Nationalist
                    • Jul 2012

I should remind you that "swastikas", called double meander, gammadion, tetra-gammadion or tetra-skelion in Greek is a common decorative motive. Here's the mosaic in Olynthus:

The swastika is present all over Macedonia (including ROM)

Comment

• Amphipolis
                      Banned
                      • Aug 2014

Originally posted by Dejan View Post
                      Also present in Macedonian mosaics. See Heraklea
                      This is very interesting, but Heraclea mosaics (it says) are from 4th-6th Century AD. Is this the dating of all its' mosaics? Can you help me with this?

Comment

• spitfire
                        Banned
                        • Aug 2014

The coat of arms of Bitola has maeanders also. Indicative of the past I guess.

Comment

• Philosopher
                          • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Amphipolis
                          I should remind you that "swastikas", called double meander, gammadion, tetra-gammadion or tetra-skelion in Greek is a common decorative motive.
                          Are you suggesting that the swastika is originally a Greek symbol? Or are you suggesting that this symbol is merely commonplace in Greek decorative motives?

Comment

• Amphipolis
                            Banned
                            • Aug 2014

Originally posted by Philosopher View Post
                            Are you suggesting that the swastika is originally a Greek symbol? Or are you suggesting that this symbol is merely commonplace in Greek decorative motives?
                            Actually it's far earlier and almost universally used. It may have started in India, but that's not certain either. It already appears in neolithic period (before 2,000 or 3,000 BC?) both in India and "Vinca" culture (Eastern Europe).

Comment

• Philosopher
                              • Sep 2008

Actually it's far earlier and almost universally used. It may have started in India, but that's not certain either. It already appears in neolithic period (before 2,000 or 3,000 BC?) both in India and "Vinca" culture (Eastern Europe).
                              Yes, I am very aware of the origin of the symbol. When I read your post, I was not sure whether you were implying that the tomb is Greek because the symbol's origin is Greek.

Frankly, I am still at a bit of a lose at what you wrote, as your previous post seemed to imply that the use of the swastika was a confirmation about the Greek origin of the tomb, when we all know this is impossible.

Comment

• Amphipolis
                                Banned
                                • Aug 2014

Originally posted by Philosopher View Post
                                Yes, I am very aware of the origin of the symbol. When I read your post, I was not sure whether you were implying that the tomb is Greek because the symbol's origin is Greek.

Frankly, I am still at a bit of a lose at what you wrote, as your previous post seemed to imply that the use of the swastika was a confirmation about the Greek origin of the tomb, when we all know this is impossible.
                                I was trying to inform before silly comments about the "swastika" appear. This symbol has been discussed a lot in Greece because of Golden Dawn.

Comment

Working...
                                X