Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • EgejskaMakedonia
    • Jan 2010

And here people were, writing off issues such as this as an argument within the imposed name debate. Here's your proof incase you didn't believe it earlier (Brian).

Laws such as these have never been out of Greece's league, and if you thought in the 21st century such discrimination was impossible, then you're either naive or perhaps Greece is still stuck in the 17th century...or both.

Comment

• Phoenix
      • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Coolski View Post
      This is so ridiculous.

Earlier this year my Aussie (non ethnic-Macedonian) friends visited Macedonia with me, and my cousin drove them to Solun to catch their flights to continue their journeys. Because my cousin drove them, and is Macedonian, they stopped them at the border, because they will not allow Macedonian taxi drivers to drive customers in Greece. They force them to stop, make the customers walk, and catch some overpriced and dishonest greek-style taxi from Greece.

My cousin isnt even a taxi driver, yet they held my friends up on that suspicion. That isn't the worst part though.

My cousin called me up from the border explaining to me what happened, and put the border guard on the phone. Given he was a Greek border guard I assumed he would be conversing with me in English. Ne bre brate!! He was speaking an aegean dialect of Macedonian. He was asking me to name my friends by first and last name.

I felt so upset that my friends went through this, but at the same time they have understood how ridiculous and stupid the Greeks are and how ironic their situation is, given that the guy who was giving them the most trouble was a brainwashed Macedonian, thinking he is Greek. I had explained some of this idiocy to them in the past, but nothing is more confronting than being put through it! Even I didn't think it they would be that badly treated!
      I would say that most of the 'greek' customs officials on the border are actually ethnic Macedonian...and many are open to bribery or certainly were in the past.

When my oldies were denied entry, my old man gave it to them full on in Macedonian, knowing full well that they'd understand every mouthful of abuse that he gave them...lol

Comment

• Brian
        Banned
        • Oct 2011

Originally posted by EgejskaMakedonia View Post
        And here people were, writing off issues such as this as an argument within the imposed name debate. Here's your proof incase you didn't believe it earlier (Brian).

Laws such as these have never been out of Greece's league, and if you thought in the 21st century such discrimination was impossible, then you're either naive or perhaps Greece is still stuck in the 17th century...or both.
        And this is a reason to keep their imposed names? lol. Sure, Greece can say whatever stupid thing, and everyone just has to accept it?

The numbers of Egej Macedonians in the diaspora (everywhere USA, Canada, Australia, UK, ect) would have to be very large. How's about making some noise in their home/Western countries. Do you think that out of so many people, some would have become a bit prominent and 'know' a few people, and could spur things on to make enough noise.

Further, couldn't they garner the support of other Macedonians to make a bigger voice? You don't need to push the angle of Greece is just discriminating against Macedonians - they are discriminating against x (whatever Western country they are from) just because of where they happened to be born.

You either fight for your rights, or keep bending over, further and further.

Comment

• George S.
          • Aug 2009

brian thats a good point we seem to have compromising people over the border. but they could've done something that is called rebellion.Also keeping the same names that they been given is ridiculous.For what its worth the international community regardless of whether they would do something.
          "Ido not want an uprising of people that would leave me at the first failure, I want revolution with citizens able to bear all the temptations to a prolonged struggle, what, because of the fierce political conditions, will be our guide or cattle to the slaughterhouse"
          GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

• Po-drum
            • Mar 2009

Originally posted by Brian View Post
            The numbers of Egej Macedonians in the diaspora (everywhere USA, Canada, Australia, UK, ect) would have to be very large. How's about making some noise in their home/Western countries. Do you think that out of so many people, some would have become a bit prominent and 'know' a few people, and could spur things on to make enough noise.

Further, couldn't they garner the support of other Macedonians to make a bigger voice?
            That would be more effective than any other individual approach against greek discrimination towards Macedonian name, history, identity.
            This is informal war and we need allies in this war. We can't win this battle by frontal attack one on one, because we are the weaker ones. We need support from the majority of powerfull countries who would speak in our name. But we have to convince them to stand behind us.
            Macedonia - my shoulders from ruins and skies

Comment

• makedonche
              • Oct 2008

Originally posted by Po-drum View Post
              That would be more effective than any other individual approach against greek discrimination towards Macedonian name, history, identity.
              This is informal war and we need allies in this war. We can't win this battle by frontal attack one on one, because we are the weaker ones. We need support from the majority of powerfull countries who would speak in our name. But we have to convince them to stand behind us.
              Po-drum
              A funny thing happens when you stand up for yourself and your rights, other people will stand with you. If you seek the assistance to stand up for yourself from elsewhere, then when that assistance isn't there are you just going to sit down?
              On Delchev's sarcophagus you can read the following inscription: "We swear the future generations to bury these sacred bones in the capital of Independent Macedonia. August 1923 Illinden"

Comment

• Po-drum
                • Mar 2009

Originally posted by makedonche View Post
                Po-drum
                A funny thing happens when you stand up for yourself and your rights, other people will stand with you. If you seek the assistance to stand up for yourself from elsewhere, then when that assistance isn't there are you just going to sit down?
                Well that's what happens with us. And you are completely right.
                But we missed the chance to stand up by ourselfs in 45' and after that in 90's. Knowing our complex mentality it won't be easy to achieve such level of consolidation which in fact we never had.
                It would be something new for Macedonians. After so many divisions between ourselfs it looks unbelievable.
                Macedonia - my shoulders from ruins and skies

Comment

• EgejskaMakedonia
                  • Jan 2010

Originally posted by Brian View Post
                  And this is a reason to keep their imposed names? lol. Sure, Greece can say whatever stupid thing, and everyone just has to accept it?

Further, couldn't they garner the support of other Macedonians to make a bigger voice? You don't need to push the angle of Greece is just discriminating against Macedonians - they are discriminating against x (whatever Western country they are from) just because of where they happened to be born.

You either fight for your rights, or keep bending over, further and further.
                  Brian, from your posts I assume you have no relatives or family who reside from the Aegean?
                  That's a great idea, and I've expressed gratitude to such an initiative before. Others here have mentioned an 'en mass' name change which would spark international attention. I really like that prospect and believe it could prove very beneficial. Not only would the imposed names be relinquished, but it may also pressure Greece to recognise the Macedonian minority and prevent them from further denying the human rights of all minorities. This move would have a range of in-direct implications, as opposed to an individual changing their name, which will only affect themselves directly.

My main point of concern is that this is easier said than done. Be our guest and kick it off for us Brian. Not all people 'bend over' willingly Brian, some are forced, and it ultimately takes a collective movement to fight for your rights.

Comment

• George S.
                    • Aug 2009

very unusual behaviour maybe the greeks thoght how easy pushover they were as they did everything they were told.No wonder their very existence was denied.They didn't counteract anything the greeks pushed up for them.There's lots of things they could've done.Refusal to partake of their edcuation system.for one.
                    "Ido not want an uprising of people that would leave me at the first failure, I want revolution with citizens able to bear all the temptations to a prolonged struggle, what, because of the fierce political conditions, will be our guide or cattle to the slaughterhouse"
                    GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

Working...
                    X