Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • George S.
    • Aug 2009

da it's like wanting to board a sinking ship.They yhink that macedonians still have a chance to get on thegravy train.Look at the lenghths they go to to protect it's member states.
    Macedonia's name should be more important than joining the eu.
    "Ido not want an uprising of people that would leave me at the first failure, I want revolution with citizens able to bear all the temptations to a prolonged struggle, what, because of the fierce political conditions, will be our guide or cattle to the slaughterhouse"
    GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

• Onur
      • Apr 2010

Although I personally believe this tactic will provide an opposite effect. After a year or two, when we see the fiasco of this tactic, the two countries will be farther from a solution than now.
      This is true but they didn't play all of their cards yet. If everything fails they can decide to start negotiation phase and let it immediately stall due to name issue [Greece would surely support this]. Thats probably what will happen to Serbia too [In their case, it can be stalled due to Kosovo issue]. This tactic is being used against Turkey [for Cyprus issue] since 2004 but it miserably failed on us. I don't know how Macedonia and Serbia can withstand to that because if they start negotiations then they will constantly send a msg to Macedonian public like; "Look, you will be EU member and get in to the Schengen but you gotta change your name first. Accept that because you will be European citizens and borders would already mean nothing". Some of your journalists would surely try to convince people for accepting EU demands. I don't know if Macedonians would buy in to that or not. But if you don't, i am sure that this pressure will end in a fiasco like your PM says.

I am telling this cuz we lived the same in Turkey since 2004. There was massive pro-EU propaganda here for about 4 years, `till 2008-2009. Some EU-paid journalists in Turkey was constantly writing articles like "Cyprus is the only obstacle for Turkey`s EU membership. It`s just a small island, it doesn't worth the hassle. We shouldn't keep ourselves as captive to this problem and let it go...". I am sure there will be same in Macedonia.

Comment

• blackcactus
        • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Risto the Great View Post

I still question why the EU is in Macedonia's strategic interest.

Based on my observations I would say it has a lot to do with pushing reforms, as well as recieving regular funding for projects that the EU provides to 'lift' the capacity of a candidate country

One part in his interview hints at this

Quote: "Even if reforms do not give the expected results pertaining to our NATO and EU approximation, they are good for the country and improvement of the citizens' lives"
        The one who tells the story rules the World - Hopi proverb

Your highness, when I said that you are like a stream of bat's piss, I only meant that you shine out like a shaft of gold when all around is dark - Monty Python

Comment

• Risto the Great
          • Sep 2008

I have never been against reforms as they relate to Macedonia with its obvious flaws on numerous levels. I would personally be embarrassed to admit I am pushing necessary reforms because someone else insists on them.

The funding for projects is less than clear and being used as a carrot to make Macedonia act outside of its interest. Further, it merely places Macedonia in further debt without offering any measurable benefits to Macedonia's citizens. Bulgaria is the best example of what is not happening upon EU entry.
          Risto the Great
          MACEDONIA:ANHEDONIA
          "Holding my breath for the revolution."

Hey, I wrote a bestseller. Check it out: www.ren-shen.com

Comment

• DedoAleko
            • Jun 2009

The second part of the interview:

Gruevski: Greece not making effort to find a solution, entire pressure put on Macedonia

Skopje, 18 October 2011 (MIA) - Greece has avoided meetings for months, whereas the ones held lack essence. The economic crisis has even given the country a better position among the international community. They realized that they are a time bomb in the hands of the EU, which can explode if put under pressure. Therefore, no one can touch them or put pressure over the name issue. In such a laidback situation, Athens has no interest in settling the issue through a reasonable compromise. It will continue to sell the story they are investing lots of efforts, that we are close to a solution, and they will increase the pressure on us, thus bringing us further away from the goal, says Prime Minister Nikola Gruevski in the second part of the interview with MIA.

Let's focus on the main problem, the name. Are there developments in this field, since there is not much information available to the public.

Meetings were frequent at one time, the atmosphere was improved and it seemed as if conditions were created for discussion and a solution. Our neighbor also put forward ideas and the required will. Now the circumstances have changed as a result of two factors. Greece has avoided meetings for months, whereas the ones held lack essence, such as the recent one between foreign ministers, which aimed at Greece showing its partners from the international community that it makes an effort. In fact, it does not. Primarily due to the economic crisis, which besides the realistic defocusing, gives them a much better position among the international community. They realized that they are a time bomb in the hands of the EU, which can explode if put under pressure. Therefore, no one can touch them or put pressure over the name issue. Secondly, they see that the pressure is put on us and they wait for the outcome. They hope that either we will accept their conditions under pressure or other times with other politicians will come, who have promised they would solve the problem in a minute. This 'in a minute' clearly shows the beneficial party and that is why they are laidback. Why would then Greece rush with a solution?

Aren't they affected by the outcome of the Hague suit?

They are, but not too much, because if they lose the suit, they do not plan to respect the court's judgment. They calculate that the situation they are in at the moment would enable this.

Press reports recently analyzed what would Macedonia do in different outcomes, i.e. if it wins the suit, loses it, or if the solution is halfway.

These are blanket analyses coming from individuals who want to promote themselves as experts, but they are only doing harm to the country.

It seems that the overwhelming opinion within the international community is that we are the guilty party.

Yes, we are guilty of not wanting to accept proposals that would certainly fail at a referendum.

But if the ruling and opposition parties support a certain proposal, don't you think this will be successful at a referendum?

The ones who hold the name and identity close to their hearts do not believe the opposition over this issue, as a result of past actions. People believe in us because we are careful, but seeing the pressure we are under, they would certainly feel reserved at any effort we make for a solution in the future.

Still, if there is a referendum, will you state your position?

Yes, we will say it with clarity.

Do you think that people will not follow you?

This depends on what we offer. If there are sufficient arguments, they will follow us, if not they will give up. It is obvious from all surveys that NATO membership and start of EU accession talks are not sufficient arguments for majority of citizens. The people have learned a lot on the issue in the past 20 years, and this is an issue where politicians cannot influence much. This is something that certain people in the international community cannot understand. It is logical that people do not trust politicians on the issue, especially not the ruling authorities, since they are under constant pressure and can pass a wrong decision, consciously or unconsciously. Taking into account that the opposition is not part of the equation, maybe because of the perception that they would accept anything just to be liked by the foreigners, citizens must rely on their own judgment and understanding of things. Media, or most of them, have highly limited effect on the majority of citizens over this issue. I believe it is right that citizens do not listen to politicians, even the ruling authorities, on this issue, because politicians are coming and leaving, while decisions remain and we all have to live with them. Therefore, everyone should listen well to all politicians, media, international representatives, all arguments - for and against - and ultimately judge on their own how to vote.

Are you optimistic or pessimistic that the name problem will be resolved soon?

If this tactic of unbalanced pressure by certain individuals from the international community resumes, I would say pessimistic. In such a laidback situation, Athens has no interest in settling the issue through a reasonable compromise. It will continue to sell the story they are investing lots of efforts, that we are close to a solution, and they will increase the pressure on us, thus bringing us further away from the goal.

How big will the damages be if we lose the recommendation?

There will be damages, although the main benefit from the recommendation is the start of EU accession talks and ultimately becoming a member-state. This is however missing as a result of what I said thus far.

When do you expect to meet the Greek Prime Minister again?

I don't know, I am ready for this at any time, but this is not important as long as the meetings are used by the other party to show the Union members and the United States that it makes an effort. They buy this story, believing in it or pretending to believe in it.

We have heard many negative reactions over your statements following the press conference of Commissioner Fule. What do you think about this?

I am not sure there were too much negative reactions. However, I am used to see in Macedonia many political and media structures that label as 'heresy' an opinion that differs from the one of the international community, which they believe should be accepted without any objection. I believe this is wrong. We should openly say our thoughts and positions. This is the spirit of democracy, which the EU has high on its list of priorities. If there are debates and different opinions within the EU on many issues on a daily basis, what would we look like if we say 'yes, that's right' to everything, even when we think differently on certain problems. Every open dialogue is more useful than staying silent and piling up frustrations. The important thing is to be sincere before ourselves and before God. We have worked very hard. There are results, although we are aware lots of work lies ahead. A senior EU official told me informally they are hoping the name issue would be settled swiftly because they do not know what else they should tell us to do without opening the negotiations or the screening process. This is sincere. But it is insincere that his superiors tell the opposite. That is why I say, if you are honest before yourself and God, truth and justice will emerge.

You also reacted on the fact that adjective "Macedonian" was missing. Everyone supported you in this regard.

EU's avoidance to write and name of the language, of course under Greece's pressure, is the best answer to all those who say that the row does not involve the identity, but only the name. By employing this action, the European Commission is directly involved in the row, i.e. in the section, which they say is not part of the dispute - language and nationality - thus only making Greece's actions legal.

Why has the situation reached this point?

EU has said for couple of years that the main and only problem why Macedonia has not started the EU accession negotiations is the name, nothing else. Now the issue is how to put pressure through accusations that we are not doing reforms. It is unpleasant for them to stand behind the crime in the 'spider web' case, so they use general phrases like 'concern for the freedom of media'. They also say certain reform processes have regressed but do not provide serious examples for this. I believe that if they do not want us in the Union, it would be honest to say "We don't want you" or "Solve the problem with Greece and then call us". As much as this lacks principles, I would respect it more due to the sincerity, rather than this type of obvious injustice by making up problems or their over-emphasizing, telling people who work hard on reforms and progress they are doing their job half-heartedly. This is completely unfair.

izvor: http://www.mia.com.mk/default.aspx?vId=87718637&lId=2

Comment

• Daniel the Great
              • Nov 2009

This has been brought to my attention by someone which is jaw dropping if true, but funny at the same time.

"Fule's speech is interesting, to say the least. Brussels claims there is no progress in our reforms, and then says that everything is ok if we just changed our name. Macedonia either fulfils the EU criteria or it doesn't, this is not a bazaar".

What does Brussels say in its 80 page report?

"Keep in mind that Greek MP with German passport Jorgo Chatzirmakakis contributed to this report. Chatzirmakakis recently had his PhD degree taken away from the University of Bonn due to plagiarism. This is the same man who called Mak journalists "malakes". He was selected on purpose by Brussels to write reports on Macedonia, to appease Greece,"

A) The Report claims the Macedonian special forces Tigers had imprisoned someone that was not guilty. As a source, Brussels cites a sign protester was carrying that said the man was not guilty. I truly wish this was a joke, but it isn't, it's in the report.

B) Brussels (un)knowingly and (un)intentionally goes on to mistake number two. In the report, it says Macedonia needs a law for protection of intellectual property! The truth is Macedonia had implemented the law for intellectual property back in 2009

C) The (un)intentional mistakes continue in the area where Macedonia is the strongest in the region, in its reforms. The report states Macedonia needs to implement a law from the European Convention for protection of data and personal information. Macedonia has implemented this law six years ago, back in 2005!!! It would appear as if Brussels copied and pasted a report from 10 years ago and stamped 2011 on it! Chatzirmakakis would know.

D) Brussels wouldn't be Brussels if it doesn't have a section on homosexuality. In the report it states Macedonia must remove from its books sentences that state 'homosexuality is a disease'. The only challenge as the journalists from Dnevnik stated is "no one in Macedonia knows just what the hell is Brussels talking about and where are these Books" that are mentioned in the report.

"We could go on and on for 80 pages, the entire length of the EU report.
              Although the EU does have an official criteria of admitting nations to the EU, we certainly saw the criteria in action when Bulgaria and Romania were admitted (pun intended), Brussels still doesn't have the right to insult Macedonia at every opportunity and provide un-factual reports produced to appease one of their bankrupt members".

By Gorazd Velkovski

Here are a couple of comments to this article that is also amazing if true.

Just a note on Borjan Jovanovski, he got the 70k euros to help the moron chitzarmakakais in writing the EU report.
              No one spits and lies about a country as 'their own' would. Borjan perfectly fits that picture.
              Who did Chatzirmakaksios invited in Brussels for a tete-a-tete meeting to discuss media freedom? Borjan Jovanovski.

Borjancho has been an advocate for athens since 1996.
              The whole Fule speech, and the fact that he hand-picked "journalist" Borjan Jovanovski to ask an in advance prepared question paints a good picture.

And here is a little tidbit. EU gave a 70,000 euro "Grant" to Borjan Jovanovski to write about "media freedom" in Macedonia!
              The most shocking part about Stefan Fule is that he is from the Czech Republic.
              His own president, Vaclav Klaus had this to say: Czech's sovereignty was breached twice. First when the Germans placed their flag on our castle in 1941 and second time when the EU did the same"

It's amazing, everyone who works for Brussels seems to have a diseases because they all go insane. It must be the corruption and money they get there.
              Last edited by Daniel the Great; 10-18-2011, 03:45 PM.

Comment

• George S.
                • Aug 2009

probably sorros is behind the funding & perhaps vested interests from certain sides guaranteed to flop.
                "Ido not want an uprising of people that would leave me at the first failure, I want revolution with citizens able to bear all the temptations to a prolonged struggle, what, because of the fierce political conditions, will be our guide or cattle to the slaughterhouse"
                GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

• Risto the Great
                  • Sep 2008

DtG, a thought provoking post that if corroborated could embarrass the EU heavily.
                  Risto the Great

Comment

• Risto the Great
                    • Sep 2008

Do you think that people will not follow you?

GRUEVSKI: This depends on what we offer. If there are sufficient arguments, they will follow us, if not they will give up. It is obvious from all surveys that NATO membership and start of EU accession talks are not sufficient arguments for majority of citizens. The people have learned a lot on the issue in the past 20 years, and this is an issue where politicians cannot influence much. This is something that certain people in the international community cannot understand. It is logical that people do not trust politicians on the issue, especially not the ruling authorities, since they are under constant pressure and can pass a wrong decision, consciously or unconsciously. Taking into account that the opposition is not part of the equation, maybe because of the perception that they would accept anything just to be liked by the foreigners, citizens must rely on their own judgment and understanding of things. Media, or most of them, have highly limited effect on the majority of citizens over this issue. I believe it is right that citizens do not listen to politicians, even the ruling authorities, on this issue, because politicians are coming and leaving, while decisions remain and we all have to live with them. Therefore, everyone should listen well to all politicians, media, international representatives, all arguments - for and against - and ultimately judge on their own how to vote.
                    Some level of honesty here by telling us not to trust politicians. (Not sure if we should believe him now though) Yet still no clear indication of what the Macedonian Government stands for in relation to this issue. How shameful and deceitful!

Originally posted by Gruevski
                    This depends on what we offer.
                    Successive terms in Government and DPmNE is yet to advise "what is on offer".
                    Risto the Great

Comment

• Vangelovski
                      • Sep 2008

DtG,

That article raises some interesting points, but it largely misses the mark. Its one thing to enact a law on paper, it is quite another to actually implement it on the ground. Macedonia has plenty of laws - some good, some quite stupid. But it is unable and/or unwilling to enforce them on the ground, and that is what makes the country the nutcase that it is.
                      If my people who are called by my name will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, I will hear from heaven and will forgive their sins and restore their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14

The Revolution was in the minds and hearts of the people; a change in their religious sentiments, of their duties and obligations...This radical change in the principles, opinions, sentiments, and affections of the people was the real American Revolution. John Adams

Comment

• Јован Кукузел
                        • Nov 2010

Груевски ги посети Македонците во Голо Б&#1088

Груевски ги посети Македонците во Голо Брдо

Претседателот на Владата на Република Македонија Никола Груевски денеска го посети селото Требиште во областа Голо Брдо, Република Албанија, каде се сретна со локалното население.

Како што соопшти владината прес-служба, премиерот Груевски одржа средба со претставници на македонското национално малцинство во Албанија и партијата Македонска алијанса за европска интеграција, на која станало збор за потребите за продлабочување на поддршката и соработката помеѓу Македонија и Албанија, со цел да се подобрат условите за живот на етничките Македонци кои живеат во областа Голо Брдо, особено во делот на патната инфраструктура, образованието и здравствената заштита.

Во рамки на посетата, премиерот Груевски, присуствувал и на час по македонски јазик за децата од Голо Брдо, кои за оваа прилика приредиле кратка презентација и рецитал.

Во македонската делегација, предводена од премиерот Груевски, беа и министрите за внатрешни работи Гордана Јанкулоска, за локална самоуправа Невзат Бејта, заменик министерот за надворешни работи Зоран Петров и македонскиот амбасадор во Албанија Веле Трпевски.

Comment

• Јован Кукузел
                          • Nov 2010

Македонски деца од Требиште, Голо Брдо пеат за премиерот Никола Груевски

Македонски деца од Требиште, Голо Брдо пеат за премиерот Никола Груевски - YouTube

Comment

• Јован Кукузел
                            • Nov 2010

Премиерот Груевски посета на Голо Брдо

Премиерот Груевски посета на Голо Брдо Kryeministri Gruevski viziton Maqedonasit e Gollobordës - YouTube

Comment

• Јован Кукузел
                              • Nov 2010

Груевски посета на Македонците во Голо Брдо

Груевски посета на Македонците во Голо Брдо Kryeministri Gruevski viziton Maqedonasit e Gollobërdës te Dibrës - YouTube

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
                                • Sep 2008

Vo centar so Vasko Eftov - Tajna Koalicija - Nikola Gruevski i Ljubco Gjorgievski 02.04.2010 1/5 - YouTube

Kako Gruevski go predade makedonskoto ime - YouTube
                                In the name of the blood and the sun, the dagger and the gun, Christ protect this soldier, a lion and a Macedonian.

Comment

Working...
                                X