• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MP_MK
    Banned
    • Aug 2009

Originally posted by Prolet View Post
    MP, Whats the Greek Community like in SA?
    High in numbers, vocal and get there way on most matters mainly due to Rann. We can stop the if we work together.

Comment

• UMDiaspora.org
      • Oct 2009

Rann accused of playing the race card

For comments, questions, concerns, please contact us at:

United Macedonian Diaspora
      http://www.umdiaspora.org

1101 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW, 6th Floor, Washington, D.C. 20004, United States
      Phone: (202) 756-2244, Fax: (202) 756-7323, E-mail: [email protected]

PO Box 2153, Hawthorn, Vic. 3122, Australia
      Phone: 0438 385 466, E-mail: [email protected]

3555 St. Clair Avenue East, Toronto, ON, M1K 1L6, Canada
      Phone: 416-209-0448, E-mail: [email protected]

Comment

• Rogi
        • Sep 2008

Rann accused of playing the race card

SOUTH Australian Premier Mike Rann could face charges of inciting racial hatred as Macedonian outrage over a speech he made at a Greek festival threatens to explode into a major diplomatic incident.

The embassy of the Macedonian Republic in Canberra yesterday deplored Mr Rann's comments, which included an allegation that President Gjorge Ivanov was "stirring up trouble"in a dangerous manner and trying to steal Greek history and culture. Mr Rann cited the naming of a Macedonian airport and highway after Alexander the Great as evidence.

A spokesman for the Macedonian embassy said the ambassador was awaiting advice on a formal protest to the Rudd government.

Coalition foreign affairs spokeswoman Julie Bishop called on Foreign Minister Steven Smith to admonish Mr Rann, who she accused of exploiting sensitive international issues between Greece and neighbouring Macedonia for political gain in next month's state election.

"Mr Rann has abused his position as a state premier and Mr Smith should pull him into line," Ms Bishop said. She also said Mr Smith should make clear to Macedonia that supporting comments by former Labor minister Nick Bolkus were out of line.

Mr Rann's comments were made at a Greek festival in Adelaide last November, but a video and transcript are only now getting wide circulation.

In the speech, Mr Rann vowed his government would "remain firm and unswerving" in supporting the Greeks. "It is important because no one is entitled to steal another nation's history or culture," he said. "We have a leader in Ivanov who is stirring up trouble in the most dangerous way."

The Macedonian community in South Australia is 3000 strong, and totals about 84,000 nationally.

Mr Bolkus said politics was about "expressing points of view on issues and I'm pleased he (Mr Rann) is doing it".

The controversy comes as the Rudd government is seeking Macedonia's support for a seat on the UN Security Council and will tomorrow host a forum on improving joint relations. Jason Kambovski, of the Australian Macedonian Human Rights Committee, said Mr Rann had "vilified the Macedonian community". "In our view, that constitutes inciting racial hatred and vilification," he said. "It's clearly outside the sort of things a premier should be saying. We are seeking legal advice."

Mr Smith declined to comment.

Comment

• Risto the Great
          • Sep 2008

Mr Bolkus said politics was about "expressing points of view on issues and I'm pleased he (Mr Rann) is doing it".
          Bolkus is a former politician now professional lobbyist. He only cares for expressing views when they are supporting Greek views. Disgusting.
          Risto the Great
          MACEDONIA:ANHEDONIA
          "Holding my breath for the revolution."

Hey, I wrote a bestseller. Check it out: www.ren-shen.com

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
            • Sep 2008

Ok, this is written well, with better terminology also. Good.
            In the name of the blood and the sun, the dagger and the gun, Christ protect this soldier, a lion and a Macedonian.

Comment

• Risto the Great
              • Sep 2008

By the way Bolkus, "politics" is "The art or science of government or governing, especially the governing of a political entity, such as a nation, and the administration and control of its internal and external affairs."

What part of "governing" was being displayed when the identity of Macedonians around the world was being denied and trivialised by you.
              Risto the Great
              MACEDONIA:ANHEDONIA
              "Holding my breath for the revolution."

Hey, I wrote a bestseller. Check it out: www.ren-shen.com

Comment

• MP_MK
                Banned
                • Aug 2009

The Australian Removed it from the online site.

Guessing due to greek protest? The greeks hit the "Adelaide Now" switchboard hard yesterday within the hour.

Comment

• MP_MK
                  Banned
                  • Aug 2009

Apologies, it's back online.

What I am enjoying mostly about this is that the media are writting 'MACEDONIA'

Comment

• Rogi
                    • Sep 2008

I'm glad to see the opposition commenting this.

Comment

• MP_MK
                      Banned
                      • Aug 2009

Originally posted by Rogi View Post
                      I'm glad to see the opposition commenting this.
                      Key is to have the oppostition use this ammo to oust Rann and they will jump on the wagon after international exposure shortly.

Comment

• Rogi
                        • Sep 2008

Last night on Q and A, Prime Minister Rudd gave quite a solid statement about Australia as a tolerant nation that will not stand for any racial or ethnic prejudices.

Is anyone able to get that video of last night from the ABC website and get that quote, then have Mike Rann's speech follow, just to highlight the hypocrisy?

Comment

• MP_MK
                          Banned
                          • Aug 2009

Originally posted by Rogi View Post
                          Last night on Q and A, Prime Minister Rudd gave quite a solid statement about Australia as a tolerant nation that will not stand for any racial or ethnic prejudices.

Is anyone able to get that video of last night from the ABC website and get that quote, then have Mike Rann's speech follow, just to highlight the hypocrisy?

good thinking.

Comment

• MP_MK
                            Banned
                            • Aug 2009

Can you get onto this Rogi?
                            I have a million things to do today and this would bve a good approach for the broatcast in MK tomorrow.

Comment

• makedonche
                              • Oct 2008

Originally posted by makedonche View Post
                              I'll ask the questions again and this time I expect them answered instead of deflected. I also request the administrators monitor this response or lack of it and take the necessary actions if you fail to answer these questions - you make broad sweeping comments and statements yet fail to answer questions that go directly to credibility.
                              You yourself have stated there are two Macedonian communities in Adelaide so tell us which one of these communities you represent and what position you hold - I'll make it easy for you, nominate which of these you hold :- 1/. President /. Vice President 3/. Secretary 4/. Treasurer? Feel free to choose from items 1-4.
                              MP_MK
                              I still require an answer, and I'm still waiting, try to answer on your own behalf this time intread of having someone post a reply so you don't have to answer! If there are not enough choices there feel free on choosing one of your own making.
                              On Delchev's sarcophagus you can read the following inscription: "We swear the future generations to bury these sacred bones in the capital of Independent Macedonia. August 1923 Illinden"

Comment

• Vangelovski
                                • Sep 2008

I'm still wondering why Michael P kept this all hushed up until Meto got here? And I'm also waiting for a reply to Makedonche's questions.
                                If my people who are called by my name will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, I will hear from heaven and will forgive their sins and restore their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14

The Revolution was in the minds and hearts of the people; a change in their religious sentiments, of their duties and obligations...This radical change in the principles, opinions, sentiments, and affections of the people was the real American Revolution. John Adams

Comment

Working...
                                X