Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • osiris
    • Sep 2008

what do you think of obama now is he living up to your expectations. i remember on maknews a greek poster proclaiming the end of us recognition of makedonia.

how are people in your circle reacting to his health reform

Comment

• Prolet
      • Sep 2009

Osiris, I dont believe they are too impressed about universal health care.

Americans not pleased with Universal Healthcare, Shots fired...

Thursday, 25 March 2010

Virginia Rep. Eric Cantor said Thursday that his Richmond campaign office has been shot at and that he's received "threatening e-mails" -- but at the same time the House minority whip accused top Democrats of trying to exploit the threats they've been receiving for "political gain."

Cantor said "a bullet was shot through the window" of his campaign office. The incident happened Monday, Fox News has learned, the latest in a rash of apparent threats and acts of intimidation against members of Congress. Most of the threats so far have been reported by Democrats, but Cantor -- the No. 2 Republican in the House -- is one of about 10 lawmakers who has asked for increased security protection, Fox News has learned.

In brief and pointed remarks, Cantor said he would not be releasing any information about the other threats he's received, as some lawmakers have done, out of concern that it would "encourage more to be sent."

And he admonished his colleagues -- specifically Rep. Chris Van Hollen, D-Md., and Democratic National Committee Chairman Tim Kaine -- for "dangerously fanning the flames by suggesting these incidents be used as a political weapon."

"Any suggestion that a leader in this body would incite threats or acts against other members is akin to saying that I would endanger myself, my wife or my children," Cantor said. "It is reckless to use these incidents as media vehicles for political gain."

Van Hollen told MSNBC on Wednesday that Republican leaders were "pouring more and more gasoline on the flames." Kaine, in an interview with the Huffington Post, said Republican leaders are "trying to stoke anger" with lies.

House Majority Whip Jim Clyburn, D-S.C., in an interview with MSNBC Wednesday night, said people are getting "signals" from lawmakers on how to behave and that lawmakers need to "disown" the activity before it gets out of control. He suggested his colleagues were culpable.

"If we participate in it, either from the balcony or on the floor of the House, you are aiding and abetting this kind of terrorism, really," Clyburn said.

And Rep. Phil Hare, D-Ill., told Fox News on Thursday that he thought House Republican Leader John Boehner should step aside for not being more vocal in denouncing the threats.

"He has a responsibility to step up and put an end to this," Hare said. "I think this is despicable."

Cantor said Thursday that such threats should not be a "partisan issue."

Cantor, as minority whip, is the highest elected Jewish politician in the country, and he said some of the threats he's gotten in the past have been because of his religion. But all the recent threats against lawmakers appear to be connected to the health care debate.

The Department of Homeland Security is involved in the Cantor case because he is a member of the House leadership. U.S. Capitol Police already provide Cantor with a security detail around the clock because of his leadership position, but he has asked for more security.

МАКЕДОНЕЦ си кога кавал ќе ти ја распара душата,зурла ќе ти го раскине срцето,кога секое влакно од кожата ќе ти се наежи кога ќе видиш шеснаесеткрако сонце,кога до коска ќе те заболи кога ќе слушнеш ПЈРМ,кога немаш ни за леб,а полн си во душата затоа што ја сакаш МАКЕДОНИЈА. МАКЕДОНИЈА во срце те носиме.

Comment

• Vangelovski
        • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Buktop View Post
        Well he led me to believe that it did involve them being unprepared to take on the responsibilities after so many years of having the government control everything.
        A result of communist ideology and plain totalitarianism.
        If my people who are called by my name will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, I will hear from heaven and will forgive their sins and restore their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14

The Revolution was in the minds and hearts of the people; a change in their religious sentiments, of their duties and obligations...This radical change in the principles, opinions, sentiments, and affections of the people was the real American Revolution. John Adams

Comment

• Buktop
          • Oct 2009

Originally posted by osiris View Post
          what do you think of obama now is he living up to your expectations. i remember on maknews a greek poster proclaiming the end of us recognition of makedonia.

how are people in your circle reacting to his health reform
          Obama has way too many things on his plate to even consider irrelevant Greek concerns.

I personally don't care for the healthcare plan, not because I don't like the idea, but because it doesn't address the actual issues and it will end up costing a heck of a lot more than the 200 billion projected.

If you are genuinely interested I will go into more detail, but I don't want to bore you with technical stuff.
          "I'm happy to answer any question and I don't hide from that"

Never once say you walk upon your final way
          though skies of steel obscure the blue of day.
          Our long awaited hour will draw near
          and our footsteps will thunder - We are Here!

Comment

• Buktop
            • Oct 2009

Originally posted by Vangelovski View Post
            A result of communist ideology and plain totalitarianism.
            Also a result of poor education, opportunistic capitalists, and outright criminals.

Comment

• osiris
              • Sep 2008

i am interested buktop, i read the current us approach to health is one the most expensive per unit cost in the world.

Comment

• Vangelovski
                • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Buktop View Post
                Also a result of poor education, opportunistic capitalists, and outright criminals.
                I would add morally and intellectually corrupt political opportunists
                If my people who are called by my name will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, I will hear from heaven and will forgive their sins and restore their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14

The Revolution was in the minds and hearts of the people; a change in their religious sentiments, of their duties and obligations...This radical change in the principles, opinions, sentiments, and affections of the people was the real American Revolution. John Adams

Comment

• Prolet
                  • Sep 2009

Osiris, It will cost well over $1 trillion, the $200 Billion is just the start of it. But you cant look at it that way, America is a country of 300 million people and you have 50 million citizens who cant afford health insurance.
                  МАКЕДОНЕЦ си кога кавал ќе ти ја распара душата,зурла ќе ти го раскине срцето,кога секое влакно од кожата ќе ти се наежи кога ќе видиш шеснаесеткрако сонце,кога до коска ќе те заболи кога ќе слушнеш ПЈРМ,кога немаш ни за леб,а полн си во душата затоа што ја сакаш МАКЕДОНИЈА. МАКЕДОНИЈА во срце те носиме.

Comment

• Buktop
                    • Oct 2009

Originally posted by osiris View Post
                    i am interested buktop, i read the current us approach to health is one the most expensive per unit cost in the world.
                    Oh it is Osiris, it is.

The current plan requires all business' to purchase health insurance for their employee's. Not a bad idea, but not only would this cover illegals, it will draw from company funds and slow down growth, then there is a conflict dealing with a clause that makes it mandatory for everyone to purchase health insurance, AND then the government plans to run a tax on it. Not only is this bill being funded with tax dollars but then we have to purchase the insurance, as well as various other tax increases across the board, I now have to pay an extra 10% to go tanning haha.

To explain it simply, we can look at it through supply and demand. The supply of Doctors after the whole malpractice suing invention has decreased, and demand for doctors has increased, as well as the cost of employing doctors, and insuring them. So logically, if they increased the supply of doctors, and subsidies to help reduce the impact of malpractice lawsuits, the price of healthcare would decrease. Then all we have left to deal with is pre-existing conditions, which are quite easy to deal with, mostly by offering tax breaks or subsidies to those who have them so they can purchase insurance.

Let's say that the average college tuition to study and become a doctor is about 50,000 a year, and they will attend for 4 years, that is 200,000 dollars for 1 doctor. Then let's say we have 200 billion dollars (that Obama says it will cost to enact this healthcare plan) to pay for doctors to go to school, that equals 1,000,000 doctors, divided by 50 states equals 20,000 new doctors per state. This would reduce the price of healthcare to an acceptable and affordable level, then like I said, pre-existing conditions would not be an issue.

Comment

• Prolet
                      • Sep 2009

I now have to pay an extra 10% to go tanning haha.
                      You can get a free tan if you go to Struga hahaha

Comment

• Buktop
                        • Oct 2009

Originally posted by Prolet View Post
                        You can get a free tan if you go to Struga hahaha
                        They might get me for tax evasion hahahah

Comment

• UMDiaspora.org
                          • Oct 2009

40, 234 - Thank you Australian and New Zealand Macedonians!!!

Dear fellow Macedonians in Australia and New Zealand,

40,234! Those are the kilometers I traveled from February 3rd through March 3rd. Adelaide, Auckland, Brisbane, Canberra, Gold Coast, Melbourne, Newcastle, Perth, Rockdale, Sydney, Wellington, Wollongong, and Queanbayen. I wish I visited more! Thank you for making my trip so productive and successful - without your support, this would not have been possible!

Let me just brief you on a few highlights before the Spring Issue of UMD Voice comes out next month, where we will have full details of the visit and a photo-spread:

Australian-Macedonians Outraged by SA Premier Mike Rann

Immediately upon my arrival, we set out to defend our Macedonian identity. No sleeping! A video began circulating on YouTube of the South Australian Premier Mike Rann slandering the Macedonian community and claiming that Macedonians are stealing the "history" of Greeks. Following comments, phone calls, and letters by the outraged Macedonian community in Adelaide and throughout Australia, every mainstream newspaper in Australia reported about the situation. We made sure everyone heard about it! Click HERE to read a UMD interview about Mr. Rann: http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/i...-1225827612230

UMD Visits Canberra

UMD spent three days in Canberra educating federal members about issues concerning the Australian-Macedonian community.

Australian Foreign Ministry;
                          The Hon. Brendan O'Connor, Minister of Home Affairs;
                          The Hon. Harry Jenkins, Speaker of the House of Representatives (the highest ranking Australian politician to ever visit Macedonia - December 2009);
                          Senator Russell Trood;
                          The Hon. Julie Bishop, Deputy Leader of the Opposition and Shadow Minister for Foreign Affairs;
                          The Hon. Philip Ruddock, former Minister for Immigration and Multicultural Affairs;
                          The Hon. Bill Shorten;
                          Darren Cheeseman MP, Member for Corangamite;
                          Luke Simpkins MP, Member for Cowan;
                          Sharon Bird MP, Member for Cunningham; and;
                          Graham Perrett MP, Member for Moreton.

Just some of the individuals and offices we met with - all friends of Macedonia and the Macedonian people!

On the evening of February 9th, I spoke at the Australian Institute of International Affairs on the topic of Integrating Macedonia into Global Institutions and Global Markets before an audience of Australian policymakers, federal MPs, the diplomatic community and leaders of the Australian-Macedonian community. Macedonia's Ambassador to Canberra, Ambassador Pero Stojanovski, Mr. Shorten, and Mr. Simpkins greeted the audience. Following the formal program, all enjoyed a reception tasting the awarding-winning Peos wine, produced by the Australian-Macedonian Peos family from Manjimup, Western Australia.

The next morning it was back in Parliament for the Advancing Australian-Macedonian Relations Forum, co-hosted by the Australian-Macedonian Parliamentary Friendship Group Co-Chairs Mr. Cheeseman and Mr. Simpkins and UMD. The Forum focused on principles of advancing relations based on political, economic, and socio-cultural ties. Mr. Jenkins and Mr. Ruddock joined the forum and delivered remarks, and Macedonia's Consul General to Melbourne, Mr. Savo Sibinoski greeted the forum. Representatives of several Australian-Macedonian organizations and communities were present including the Australian-Macedonian Business Association; the Macedonian Community Welfare Association; the Macedonian Community Council of Adelaide and South Australia; Macedonian Community Council of Victoria; and the Macedonian Honorary Consul to Perth, Mr. Zoran Coseski.

The Macedonians in Australia author Professor Peter Hill from the Australian National University spoke on linguistic preservation. Professor Danny Ben-Moshe from Victoria University gave a progress report on the Australian Research Council Linkage Project on Comparative Diasporas, which involves the Macedonian diaspora in Australia and the Australian diaspora in Macedonia. Sponsored by the Macedonian Ministry of Foreign Affairs in partnership with UMD, the survey instrument, which will inform Australian and Macedonian public policy on the Macedonian diaspora will be distributed in the coming weeks. Stay tuned...

UMD was featured in The Canberra Times. Click HERE to read: http://umdiaspora.org/images/Canberr...UMDFeature.pdf

This was just a teaser! More to come in UMD Voice.

There is an amazing potential in the Macedonian communities, especially in the Macedonian youth - the future generation. I was very proud to meet so many enthusiastic, dedicated, energetic and passionate Macedonians. As a result of this trip, UMD will be increasing its efforts in Australia and New Zealand. Here are some projects UMD is planning:

Establish operations in Canberra, Perth, Sydney, and Wellington;
                          Offer scholarships to Australian- and New Zealand-Macedonian students - UMD believes in investing in the future of our younger generations;
                          Provide grants to community organizations working to promote Macedonia's rich culture and heritage; and;
                          Open up an office in Canberra and hire a full-time staff, which will be dedicated 100% towards building a professional, sustainable, united voice for the Australian-Macedonian community (This will be a major undertaking, and We Need Your Help!).

Educating Australian and New Zealand policymakers on the importance of recognizing Macedonia by her constitutional name will be top priority. This will only be possible through a coordinated, united effort with other Australian-Macedonian organizations.

We will win the war for truth and justice, not because we have more money than the Greeks, or the best access, like Nick Bolkus and Mike Rann.

We'll win because we have the truth on our side and you on our team.

We are blessed to have devoted Macedonians like you who stand for justice and - with your secure on-line donations - make sure we have the financial resources to fully leverage our grassroots educational advocacy. So, right now, please send $50, $100, $250, $500, $1,000 or whatever you can afford. Note: Every donor who donates more than $50 will receive a complimentary one year UMD membership. Donate today, by clicking here: https://web.memberclicks.com/mc/quic...d&formId=69654

We're a grassroots group that counts on thousands of folks like you to chip in a little so that we can, together, make a big difference. United, We Can! No benefactor bosses, corporate interests, or government funds - just Macedonians who care enough about our future to help us take on some of the most powerful interests in Canberra and the world.

The stakes are high, and getting higher. Our opponents are trying to defeat us. But with your help, we will prevail.

With warmest regards,

Meto Koloski

P.S. Please send us your secure on-line donation of $50, $100, $250, $500, $1,000 right away so that we can take advantage of the powerful new opportunities February's efforts in Canberra and throughout Australia and New Zealand have opened for the Macedonian Cause. Click HERE to donate: https://web.memberclicks.com/mc/quic...d&formId=69654

Click HERE to read an article about UMD in the Wollongong-based Illawarra Mercury.
                          For comments, questions, concerns, please contact us at:

United Macedonian Diaspora
                          http://www.umdiaspora.org

1101 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW, 6th Floor, Washington, D.C. 20004, United States
                          Phone: (202) 756-2244, Fax: (202) 756-7323, E-mail: [email protected]

PO Box 2153, Hawthorn, Vic. 3122, Australia
                          Phone: 0438 385 466, E-mail: [email protected]

3555 St. Clair Avenue East, Toronto, ON, M1K 1L6, Canada
                          Phone: 416-209-0448, E-mail: [email protected]

Comment

• UMDiaspora.org
                            • Oct 2009

UMD to Honor Simon Trpceski in Los Angeles

The United Macedonian Diaspora
                            INVITES YOU TO CELEBRATE THE OPENING OF OUR
                            Los Angeles Operations

WITH A RECEPTION IN HONOR OF
                            UMD OUTSTANDING ACHIEVEMENT AWARD RECIPIENT
                            Simon Trpčeski

Macedonian art by California-based artists will be on display

Sunday, April 18, 2010
                            6:00 – 9:00 p.m.
                            Cocktails & Hors d’oeuvres

Omni Los Angeles Hotel
                            251 South Olive Street
                            Los Angeles, California 90012
                            Valet Parking Available at Hotel

Please Respond by April 14, 2010
                            (818) 971-9622 or [email protected]

Click for full invitation: http://umdiaspora.org/images/UMDLALaunchInvite.pdf
                            For comments, questions, concerns, please contact us at:

United Macedonian Diaspora
                            http://www.umdiaspora.org

1101 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW, 6th Floor, Washington, D.C. 20004, United States
                            Phone: (202) 756-2244, Fax: (202) 756-7323, E-mail: [email protected]

PO Box 2153, Hawthorn, Vic. 3122, Australia
                            Phone: 0438 385 466, E-mail: [email protected]

3555 St. Clair Avenue East, Toronto, ON, M1K 1L6, Canada
                            Phone: 416-209-0448, E-mail: [email protected]

Comment

• Mastika
                              • Feb 2010

Originally posted by Prolet View Post
                              If we are serious about beating the 84,000 mark ourselves in Australia, we need to reach out to the Egejci that declare themselves as Greek as well as the Macedonians who declare themselves as Yugoslavs, either way the UMD tried and it didnt work out with MPO so im really not too sure what more they can do here.
                              Prolet, I agree with you, however when dealing with the Census Data you first have to analyse the facts.

In regards to this huge number of "Yugoslavs", in the last Census (2006) only 1,007 people were listed as bieng "South Eastern European, nfd" which is category for all of those people who listed themselves as being "Yugoslav". According to the ABS website "In 1991, 'Yugoslav NEI' and 'Serbo-Croatian' were classified separately. In 1996 and 2001 these languages were jointly classified as 'South Slavic nfd'". In 2001 there were only 9,799 people listed under the "South Eastern European, nfd" category, which has now dimished to just over 1,000 people. The figures for language are different though, so please people do not confuse them, in 2006 around 9,000 people still claimed to speak Yugoslav, however the c.84,000 figure is derived from AncestrySo if you are expecting a huge boost from a bunch of "Yugoslavs" to suddenly declaring as Macedonians, think again. Maybe 200 (at most) of these people can be Macedonians.

As for the number of Egejci declaring as Greeks, well again you need to look back at the statistics. There are no statistics for the second generation immigrants, so we will have to assume that parents and children share the same ethnic conscienceness. Well accoding to the 2006 census 109,990 were born in Greece, of whom 2,856 claim to have Macedonian ancestry. This is roughly 2.6% of the Greek born population, thus we have to assume that possibly 5,000 - 10,000 (max.) people who wrote down "Macedonian" ancestry in the last census originate from Greece. However, we all know some Grkomani declared themselves Greek (I really do not see why we would want these people to declare as Macedonians, but anyways), and lets say that if 50% of all Aegeans were Grkomani then there would only be at maximum say 5-10,000 more Aegean "Macedonians" to add to this tally. If a greater proportion are Grkomani, then naturally this figure would increase.

Is there any serious option to greatly increase the numbers of the Macedonian community? Well, for starters it would help to get the 649 people born in ROM to actually declare that they were of Macedonian ancestry not of Australian ancestry, and the 443 people of "English ancestry" to not declare as such. Again, assuming, that their children also do not "feel" Macedonian, we could possibly arrive at a figure of c. 3,000 people of Macedonian heritage who do not feel Macedonian, but feel "English" or "Australian".

People say but what about people from Bulgaria and Albania, well they make up a minute amount. In 2001 of the 82,000 people who said that they were from Macedonian ancestry, less then 40 said that they were born in Albania or Bulgaria. Another point raised, well what about the Srbomani? Well in the 2001 census of the 97,315 people who claimed to be of Serbian ancestry, only 481 said that they were born in Macedonia. Assuming half are real Serbs, and doubling the remainder to counter in the Second generation, we can possibly say that c. 500 Macedonians declare as Serbians.

If anybody has issues please raise them with me. All of the Census Data is freely available on the internet, if you like i can provide the lenghty URL. The most logical way of factoring in the 2nd generation is simply to double to total number. For the Egejci I have basically tripled it to factor in the third generation (given that they have been here for a much longer time period). I think that my analysis is pretty much on the spot, it also depends on the number of Grkomani. I think that 50% is a good split.

In conclusion, where could the 84,000 number be increased?
                              + 200 "Yugoslavs"
                              + 5,000 - 10,000 "Greeks"
                              + 500 "Serbians"
                              + 3,000 "Australians" and "Englishmen"

ps. I didnt realise that I had clicked on page 101, i thought it was 131. Hopefully I am not repeating what has already been said.
                              Last edited by Mastika; 03-29-2010, 08:02 AM.

Comment

• makedonche
                                • Oct 2008

UMD
                                Don't you have anything to post regarding our racist southern neighbours disgracefull performance on their national day? I would have expected strongly worded statements at the very least!
                                On Delchev's sarcophagus you can read the following inscription: "We swear the future generations to bury these sacred bones in the capital of Independent Macedonia. August 1923 Illinden"

Comment

Working...
                                X