Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • osiris
    • Sep 2008

yes that's what greece is waiting for the us elections traveeller is also right the opposition is expressing opinions the government wants to but does not becuse it wants to be seen in eu and american eyes as trying to solve the name issue.

risto, crvenkovski represents an insignificant minority in macedonia, his last approval rating was 6%.
    Last edited by osiris; 10-09-2008, 06:02 PM.

Comment

• Risto the Great
      • Sep 2008

Originally posted by osiris View Post
      risto, crvenkovski represents an insignificant minority in macedonia, his last approval rating was 6%.
      Yet he apparently represents our country!
      Damn it.
      Risto the Great
      MACEDONIA:ANHEDONIA
      "Holding my breath for the revolution."

Hey, I wrote a bestseller. Check it out: www.ren-shen.com

Comment

• Risto the Great
        • Sep 2008

So ... has any Macedonian politician stood up and been defiant on this issue?
        Gruevski is disappointing me at the moment, from a state of nationalistic fervour, we have seen a dilution to nothing but compromise now. And the timing could not be any worse.
        Risto the Great

Comment

• Pelister
          • Sep 2008

People ....

It's not just about a name change ....

The devil is in the detail. It's also the restrictions on how and when they can use the term 'Macedonia'.

The Macedonians are behaving like they are in no position to negotiate anything, and Greece is raping them, only because they are allowing themselves to be raped.

Had Gruevski forgotten about the Interim Accord ? Why doesn't he defend this Accord, or is that also not worth the paper its written on ! This government has to find some fkn principles fast. It has no idea who it represents, or what it stands for. Someone's probably convinced him (Crvenko and the diaspora), that the Macedonians have no need to worry about their identity - they can sell their souls for the so called "democratic" VALUES of the West.

I think their priority is defending their identity - because I say without it they are finished. Now if pursuing these kinds of Western values, at the cost of your ethnic identity, and RIGHTS, is a dangerous fkn precedent to be taking.

Recognizing Kosovo was A BIG MISTAKE.

The Macedonians don't have ANY HUMAN RIGHTS IN ALBANIA.

Why oh Why oh Why do these "Macedonians" think they need a pretty good pretext and reason, to raise the simply issue of their human rights ?

Don't they know that their identity, their history, and their heritage, is being abused ?

Comment

• Venom
            • Sep 2008

Yes indeed Pelister. That is what the whole brouhaha is about -- us being Macedonians.

Gruev is being a soft cock like never before.
            S m r t - i l i - S l o b o d a

Comment

• Risto the Great
              • Sep 2008

Crvenko has rejected the latest Nimetz proposal and Gruevski the snivelling little idiot is yet to comment. What the hell is going on? Clearly the country is being run by idiots.

I am underwhelmed to despair.
              Risto the Great

Comment

• Pelister
                • Sep 2008

I don't think they actually understand what is happening around them, or more importantly, why, it is happening.

I am certain that they believe that Greece actually has a legitimate claim to the name, and heritage of Macedonia.

This needs to be addressed. Everywhere they turn, every forum they are participating in, every meeting - their identity is being negated at every fkn turn, and this is something they have to think about every once in a while, and come up with a way to counter the negative aspersions - address the problem head on. Not by "negotiating" their name - thats the greatest trick the devil ever pulled on the Macedonians.

This is what I think.

They need to shoot down the Greek lie - attack the idea or the information - rather than dance around the result of the lie.

Comment

• Dimko-piperkata
                  • Sep 2008

End the Greek Tragedy

10 October 2008

The endless bickering over Macedonia’s name merely distracts from a far greater need.

SKOPJE | Josip Broz Tito calendars hang on office walls, memorabilia of the old Yugoslav leader clutter plywood shelves of Skopje’s bazaars, and on one of the capital’s busiest streets, the Broz Cafe is bustling on a warm October afternoon. The fading letters of the marshal’s “unity and brotherhood” speech that mark the international outpouring of help after the 1963 Skopje earthquake fill one crumbling wall of the former railway station – now the site of a museum and Tito memorabilia shop.

If there is Tito nostalgia in Macedonia, it may be more than fondness for an era when there were jobs and the Balkans were unified (never mind the political repression). “He respected our identity,” said one aging Skopje shopkeeper selling replicas of wartime memorabilia of the anti-Nazi partisan movement that Tito led. “He would never allow this shame to go on.”

That “shame” is Greece’s opposition to Macedonia’s name. In one of the most intractable disputes resulting from the implosion of Yugoslavia, the Greeks insist that their tiny neighbor rebrand itself, fearing that “Republic of Macedonia” implies territorial ambitions on its northern region of Macedonia.

Negotiators met at the United Nations this week in the latest of countless efforts to find a compromise. Matthew Nimitz, the UN’s mediator in the dispute for nine years, declined to give details of the discussions or to set deadlines. “I don’t think a mediator is in a position to throw down an ultimatum and say, ‘This is it.’ And I don’t do that. I don’t think it is appropriate to do that,” Nimitz said after the talks on 8 October.

ALLIES’ SOFTLY, SOFTLY APPROACH

Nimitz may not be in the business of setting deadlines. But it is past time for Greece to drop its unilateral blockade of Macedonia’s chances to integrate into Europe. Since Macedonia declared independence from Yugoslavia in 1991 without bloodshed Greece stalled its entry into the United Nations, imposed a punishing embargo in the mid-1990s, blocked the country’s NATO bid, and now threatens to keep the country out of the European Union.

Macedonian leaders have sought to accommodate Greece while insisting the country has a right to its constitutional name. It changed its flag after Greek objections and acquiesced on using an absurd construction, “the Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia,” so it could get a seat in the United Nations. Outside the name issue, the two states enjoy peaceful relations. Along their 264-kilometer border, there is no sign of Macedonian armor or infantry preparing to seize Hellenic territory. Greeks cross the frontier to take advantage of cheap holidays and goods, while Macedonians prefer the fashions available in Thessaloniki to what they can buy at home.

Greece’s allies in NATO and the European Union have stayed on the sidelines of this dispute, coyly urging each side to keep talking. U.S. Defense Secretary Robert Gates, attending a defense ministers’ meeting in the Macedonian resort of Ohrid early this week, reiterated American support for Macedonia to join the alliance but asked both nations to keep negotiating.

Meanwhile, affection for the EU is overwhelming in Macedonia. An EU Eurobarometer poll released a year ago showed 76 percent of people surveyed thought EU membership was a good thing (compared with 49 percent in Turkey and 35 percent in Croatia, the other two EU candidate countries). Chat with idle young people on the streets of Skopje and you might get the impression that the EU is the Promised Land.

Macedonia’s often-troubled government has also been united in joining the EU. Since Macedonia became an EU candidate in 2005, it has moved to overhaul laws and institutions to comply with European standards. It has pegged its currency to the euro and has won widespread praise for abiding by the EU-backed Ohrid agreement in 2001 that ended the country’s short-lived war between ethnic Macedonians and the Albanian minority. The government has devolved power to the regions and given Albanian communities far more say over education, while ensuring that ethnic minorities, including Turks and Roma, are represented in the parliament and government.

But if NATO and the EU are committed to bringing stability to the Balkans, they need to think twice about allowing Greece to single-handedly dictate Macedonia’s status. The name dispute is priming the divisions in Macedonian politics and risks turning the country’s lofty support of NATO and EU sour. In the days leading up to the latest UN talks, President Branko Crvenkovski and the prime minister, Nikola Gruevski, traded bitter insults over who has the right formula for dealing with Greece.

Granted, Macedonia has deep problems that have nothing to do with Greece. Graft and cronyism persist, and the country’s politicians are fragmented. The media remain weak and beholden to political sponsors. The country’s infrastructure is crumbling, and environmental degradation goes largely untreated. Raw wastewater from Skopje, a city of nearly 700,000, flows into the Vardar River, a source of irrigation for fertile downstream valleys before it flows into Greece. Meanwhile, the World Bank estimates that nearly one in five Macedonians leaves the country because there are no jobs at home. More than one-third of working-age Macedonians are unemployed.

Many Macedonians may have unrealistic expectations about what the EU can do, especially with a financial crisis roiling Europe’s biggest economies and signs of a prolonged and difficult recession in the cards. “Everyone thinks the EU is going to be like Yugoslavia,” said Ljubisa Petrusevski, a founder of Euro College in Kumanovo, referring to the Tito era of ample jobs, a good living standard, and regional cohesion. “The EU is not Yugoslavia.”

Tito and Yugoslavia may be dead, but the EU is Macedonia’s best hope for the future. Unless Greece continues to kill this hope. Despite their outward support for the EU, many Macedonians appear unwilling to trade their national identity for EU membership. “If we have to change our name, I would guess that support for joining the EU would fall to 10 or 15 percent,” said one former senior government minister.

NATO and the EU don’t need to be reminded what an Achilles’ heel the Balkans can be. They have a vested interest in doing all they can to encourage Macedonia to become an equal partner. That means compelling Greece to lift the roadblocks it has placed in Macedonia’s path to full integration into Europe. Talks over the name issue can and should continue, but the need to extend the shield of security and stability over Macedonia, and ultimately its Balkan neighbors, is the greater priority.
                  1) Macedonians belong to the "older" Mediterranean substratum...
                  2) Macedonians are not related with geographically close Greeks, who do not belong to the "older" Mediterranenan substratum...

Comment

• Risto the Great
                    • Sep 2008

“If we have to change our name, I would guess that support for joining the EU would fall to 10 or 15 percent,” said one former senior government minister.
                    I seriously hope all the ministers understand this.

Great article and my respect to the Czechs.
                    Risto the Great

Comment

• Venom
                      • Sep 2008

Very good article. Peace to you our Czech brothers.
                      S m r t - i l i - S l o b o d a

Comment

• iceman
                        • Sep 2008

Macedonia to ask for changes from Nimitz

Getting Nowhere fast. Forget about the discussions. No name change will be accepted!

Димитар Чулев

Македонија нема грубо да го отфрли последниот предлог на Метју Нимиц, меѓутоа т.н. сет идеи што го понуди медијаторот минатата недела во Њујорк ќе мора да претрпи сериозни корекции. Дури, сметаат високи дипломатски извори во земјава, цели делови од предлогот ќе мора да бидат отфрлени, што значи ќе има потреба Нимиц одново да седне и да изготви нешто што ќе биде прифатливо за македонската страна.

Од Кабинетот на претседателот Црвенковски минатата недела се изјаснија дека предлогот за името е неприфатлив, а премиерот Груевски во саботата оцени дека „ако овој предлог за Црвенковски не е најсоодветна основа за доаѓање до решение, јас мислам дека тоа е така уште повеќе“.

Првата точка во која се вели дека „уставното име Република Македонија ќе остане уставно име на втората страна и ќе се употребува како официјално во интерен (домашен) контекст“, сама по себе е неприфатлива, сметаат македонските дипломати. Медијаторот Нимиц излегува надвор од својот мандат со четвртата точка, каде што советува „Советот за безбедност на Обединетите нации ќе препорача третите држави да го употребуваат името во рамките на Обединетите нации за официјална билатерална употреба“. Многу спорен е деветтиот член од предлогот, каде што се вели дека првата страна и втората страна ги задржуваат своите позиции за прашањето за соодветни придавки што се однесуваат на втората страна. Придавките се однесуваат веројатно за нацијата, јазикот како македонски и македонска, но тој член е неодржлив. Конечно и 13. член е многу спорен, зашто препорачува нови преговори под покровителство на генералниот секретар на ОН за постигнување нова конечна спогодба што ќе ја замени Привремената спогодба од 13 септември 1995 година“.

Јавноста бурно реагираше на новиот изглед на пасошите што го нуди Метју Нимиц, на кој би требало да пишува на англиски и на француски Република Северна Македонија, а со кирилични букви уставното Република Македонија. Тој анекс е спорен, но спорен е и вториот анекс во предлогот кој се однесува на јазикот и на националноста. За Македонија е неприфатливо да нема чиста ситуација за македонскиот јазик и за националноста, а Атина го смета тоа за отстапка во полза на соседната земја, а анексот предвидува во ОН националноста и јазикот да бидат заведени како „македонски“ со алтернативни верзии „националност на Република Северна Македонија“ и „јазик на Република Северна Македонија“. Нимиц оваа алтернатива ја вметнува затоа што придавката македонски не била прифатена од сите држави.

Дипломатски извори тврдат дека оцена е дека грчката позиција се' повеќе се стврднува, а причина за тоа биле внатрешните недоразбирања во земјата. Грчкиот претставник во преговорите, Адамантиос Василакис, на последната рунда бил упорен да нема заедничка средба со Нимиц и со македонските претставници и барал да нема предлог, туку сет идеи, на што се чини медијаторот морал да попушти. Грција очигледно се обидува да извлече максимален исход по сите три прашања: името, опфатот на употреба (за секаде и за сите) и за придавката македонски. Таквиот став очигледно ја комплицира стратегијата на Македонија.

Оваа непопустливост и инсистирањето на максималистички барања е особено видливо по Самитот на НАТО, кога Грција „задоволна и полна со себе“ на преговори настапувала така што воопшто не може да се рече дека имало преговори. На средбата во јуни, како што дознаваме, грчката страна излегла со став дека таа може да се чека додека не ги прифатиме нејзините ултимативни ставови. Неофицијално, исто така, дознаваме дека на средбата меѓу министрите Антонио Милошоски и Дора Бакојани, шефицата на грчката дипломатија му рекла на министерот Милошоски дека Грците се подготвени да чекаат и пет и десет години додека не попуштиме.

Она што не оди во прилог на Македонија моментно е и фактот што трети земји од кои се очекувало поддршка на Македонија се занимаваат со други теми, како што се кризата во Грузија, изборите во САД, релациите на Запад со Русија, финансиската криза поради што дури ни Американците не се вклучени во процесот на вршење притисок врз САД колку што тоа на прв поглед изгледа. Експерти во првичните реакции, кои ги немаше многу по обелоденувањето на предлогот, оценија дека тој е катастрофално лош за Македонија. Според едни, тој треба да се отфрли, според други, ниту во земјата има клима и обединето е јавно мислење дури и за подобар предлог, како што за „Утрински весник“ изјави поранешниот министер за односи со странство, Денко Малевски.

Нешто да се направи во тој правец е очекуваната лидерска средба закажана во текот на оваа недела, на која претседателот, како што најави, ќе ги собере политичките лидери во обид да се изгради заедничка стратегија како понатаму да се менаџира спорот со Грција и како да се изреагира на предлогот на Нимиц. Пратениците на Нова социјалдемократската партија предложија предлог-резолуција со која се бара парламентот да расправа околу ова моментно најбитно прашање за јавноста и за сите политички субјекти во земјава. Но, постои евидентно стравување расправата во Собранието да не се претвори во дебата и судир на партиите или судир на концепти, со што ќе се направи поголема штета отколку корист за државата.

Од Кабинетот на премиерот посакуваат да може да се создаде еден општ консензус меѓу партиите, интелектуалците, МАНУ за одговор во оваа ситуација и тоа да биде низ разговор, а не со наметнување став без оглед од која страна доаѓа. Ќе треба да се види како ќе се изведе тоа и дали е воопшто можно имајќи предвид дека особено е важно на Нимиц да му се соопшти нашиот став за овој предлог дека го одбиваме, но тоа да не биде грубо.

Премиерот Груевски во саботата рече дека „следниот пат кога ќе имаме заедничка средба во обид да изнајдеме консензус, ќе го направиме тоа. Господинот Нимиц во својата серија на давање идеи ќе има повеќе елементи кои ќе значат подобра позиција на Македонија“, смета премиерот.

Поранешниот медијатор за решавање на македонско-грчкиот спор околу името, Робин О’Нил, во изјава за македонска телевизија деновиве рече дека жали што пред Република Македонија повторно е ставен предлог да го смени своето име. Според меѓународното право, вели првиот преговарач во спорот, секоја земја има право да одбере свое сопствено име и да го користи името кое го сака и не може останатите држави да диктираат кое име ќе го користи државата. О’Нил е изненаден од постојаното непријателство на владата на Грција кон Македонија во врска со спорот за името.

Comment

• Rogi
                          • Sep 2008

This is all useless and pointless time-wasting. They do not have an exit strategy, they do not have a strategy at all.

All they are doing is time-wasting and waiting for that UN minority rights report for the Macedonians in Aegean Macedonia, due in March next year (after the Presidential Elections in Macedonia).

Comment

• Dimko-piperkata
                            • Sep 2008

Three Candidates for Macedonia 'Name' Negotiator

14 November 2008 Skopje _ There are three possible candidates for Macedonia's new negotiator in the UN sponsored name talks with neighbouring Greece, government sources were cited in local media Friday as saying.

Macedonia’s Ambassador to the United States Zoran Jolevski, his colleague in Greece Blagoj Handziski, and university professor Gjorgji Ivanov are the most serious candidates for the position, the source told local daily Utrinski Vesnik.

The person who is appointed will replace Macedonia’s long standing negotiator Nikola Dimitrov, who was recently recalled by President Branko Crvenkovski.

Crvenkovski said he was recalling Dimitrov so as to end confusion over who is really negotiating on Macedonia’s behalf and he called on the government to take the lead in the talks.

This came after the government had begun sending the prime minister’s chief of cabinet, Martin Protogjer, to accompany Dimitrov during the negotiations.

Greek Foreign Minister Dora Bakoyiannis had expressed dissatisfaction with the fact that Macedonia had deployed two negotiators, a practice she described as “unserious”.

Resolving the name row is the sole obstacle to Macedonia entering NATO. In April Athens blocked Skopje’s NATO invitation saying the country must change its name first.

Greece argues that the name Macedonia implies a territorial claim by Skopje over the Greek northern province of the same name.

Athens has also threatened to block Skopje's European Union integration effort because of this issue.

we MUST strongly support IVANOV
                            2) Macedonians are not related with geographically close Greeks, who do not belong to the "older" Mediterranenan substratum...

Comment

• Risto the Great
                              • Sep 2008

There are 4 potential negotiators.
                              Here is a photo of the 4th one:

I choose the 4th one.
                              Risto the Great

Comment

• Dimko-piperkata
                                • Sep 2008

What´s up with Macedonia and Greece?

Risto Stefov
                                November 15, 2008

Browsing through the www.maknews.com/forum I ran into an article written by Bushav which gave me an idea which I hope will simplify our understanding of Macedonia´s relationship with Greece. Thank you Bushav for the inspiration and the credit for this article goes to you.

Comment

Working...
                                X