• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soldier of Macedon
    replied
    Originally posted by George S. View Post
    of our slavic roots.
    A bre Gorgija, nobody is suggesting we have 'slavic roots'. Why do you keep going back to the same empty argument?

Leave a comment:

• Risto the Great
    replied
    Also risto some people say that the slav influence came only in th 6th or 7 century,whilst others maintain that it is earlier than that from the caspian area.
    SoM is actually postulating that the language long before any 6th or 7th century influences (if at all) may well have been a lot closer to the Macedonian we speak today than many care to have researched or confirmed. But people take from this discussion what they will.

Leave a comment:

• Soldier of Macedon
    replied
    Originally posted by Risto the Great View Post
    It is more than conceivable in my mind that Old Macedonian was given to many races with the spread of the Cyrillic Alphabet.
    Exactly. While many peoples that received Old Macedonian literature already spoke related languages, there were no doubt many who didn't speak such a language but adopted Old Macedonian (and/or related languages) with the spread of Christianity and the Cyrillic alphabet. This is mostly due to their belonging in (or proximity to) states and kingdoms where Slavic-speaking peoples were more dominant.

Leave a comment:

• George S.
    replied
    of our slavic roots.
    Risto you make some damn good points i suppose you can apply the same logic to us macedonians.I think there are people out there who will try & take advantage of our slavic roots & misrepresent us.You are right we desrve a place in the sun.It doesn't make us aably richer & wiserfor it.
    Last edited by George S.; 10-13-2011, 03:14 AM. Reason: ed

Leave a comment:

• Risto the Great
    replied
    You reckon just accept the truth & that is it.Bite the bullet.
    The truth is that Macedonians speak a slavic language. The truth is that Macedonians deserve a place under the sun because they have unique cultural, linguistic, historical and other traits. If we have to accept anything, it is that nations evolve. I will be stuffed if I can barely understand Shakespeare's English much less that of Olde English. Does that mean the modern English people are not worthy of being called English? Of course not.

Leave a comment:

• George S.
    replied
    Also risto some people say that the slav influence came only in th 6th or 7 century,whilst others maintain that it is earlier than that from the caspian area.

Leave a comment:

• Soldier of Macedon
    replied
    What truth George?

Leave a comment:

• George S.
    replied
    Risto i find i have to agree that it seems plausible that macedonia contributed to many peole's languages.One day i spoke to a slovakian.He spoke very clearly with hardly an accent.I got to speak to him about the 30 day calendar,chereseshna,listopathat etcetc he said they actually use & know that as well as russians That's the oldtime macedonian calendar.I even asked about how it's 7600 years going by macedonia old time calendar.
    Last edited by George S.; 10-13-2011, 03:07 AM. Reason: ed

Leave a comment:

• George S.
    replied
    You reckon just accept the truth & that is it.Bite the bullet.

Leave a comment:

• Risto the Great
    replied
    Originally posted by GeorgeS
    Rist dobro vecer.To me i allways thought their language & alphabet was given to them by cyril & methodius.It's hard to realise anyother way.I allways thought that the russians used our cyrillic alphabet & orthodox religion.
    The difference is that I don't care which direction the language went. It is more than conceivable in my mind that Old Macedonian was given to many races with the spread of the Cyrillic Alphabet. But some people seem to be in denial that there is any similarity with other slavic languages. There obviously is .... dobro vecer.

Leave a comment:

• Soldier of Macedon
    replied
    coming to terms is hard because i allways thought i was a macedonian & then bang the rug has been pulled from under us.
    We are Macedonians. There is no rug. Some of you are just falling over for no valid reason.
    To me i allways thought their language & alphabet was given to them by cyril & methodius.It's hard to realise anyother way.
    There are some historical points which indicate that (European) Russians were already speaking a related (Slavic) language prior to Cyril and Methodius.

Leave a comment:

• George S.
    replied
    Rist dobro vecer.To me i allways thought their language & alphabet was given to them by cyril & methodius.It's hard to realise anyother way.I allways thought that the russians used our cyrillic alphabet & orthodox religion.I allways thought that russians spoke like macedonian with an accent.
    Last edited by George S.; 10-13-2011, 03:00 AM. Reason: ed

Leave a comment:

• George S.
    replied
    coming to terms is hard because i allways thought i was a macedonian & then bang the rug has been pulled from under us.WE have to learn to live with it & adapt.Sometimes the truth is not palatable but that's the truth.I think we have to come to a realization of who we are.

Leave a comment:

• Risto the Great
    replied
    George, do you understand the following expression used by Russians (amongst others):

добрый вечер

If you do, are you Russian?

Leave a comment:

• Soldier of Macedon
    replied
    Originally posted by GeorgeS
    Sorry som didn't they call it slavjanski.??
    Ok, so are they traitors, slavs, etc?
    In the past i have allways taken your word & beleived what you said coz yyou are the best of the best.
    Thanks George, and while it is good to know that you take my word (at least in most cases) on these issues, it would be better if more people started to develop a greater understanding so that when they do challenge something, they actually know what they're talking about. Sure, we can pretend that this particular issue doesn't require discussion, but then when somebody says why is the phrase "give me milk and bread" essentially the same in Macedonia (daj mi mleko i leb) as it is in Poland (daj mi mleko i chleb) or Russia (dajte mne moloko i hleb), we won't be any wiser and capable to address it. Think about it. We need to arm ourselves with knowledge and understanding.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X