X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Philosopher
    • Sep 2008

Question to the Greeks

There is a traditional dish in the Balkans called "sarma". In Greek, it is called "sarmades". In Macedonia, we ferment cabbage in water and salt for months and then use the cabbage leaves for stuffing rice, meat, et al. Eastern Europeans and central Europeans prepare this dish differently. They do not ferment the cabbage first.

How is this cabbage dish prepared in Greece? Is it prepared differently in different regions of Greece (north, central, south, islands)?

Anyone know?
  • Dejan
    • Sep 2008

You sure it's not called 'sar-madina' in Greece?
    You want Macedonia? Come and take it from my blood!

A prosperous, independent and free Macedonia for Macedonians will be the ultimate revenge to our enemies.

Comment

• lavce pelagonski
      • Nov 2009

Dejan if there was a like button I would have liked your post.
      Стравот на Атина од овој Македонец одел до таму што го нарекле „Страшниот Чакаларов“ „гркоубиец“ и „крвожеден комитаџија“.

„Ако знам дека тука тече една капка грчка крв, јас сега би ја отсекол целата рака и би ја фрлил в море.“ Васил Чакаларов

Comment

• Nikolaj
        • Aug 2014

I had a Serbian friend in high school. I can safely tell you now, their Sarma looks very, very different..

Comment

• Bill77
          • Oct 2009

What is more traditional in Greece is vines used instead of Cabbage.
          I'm not sure if its completely different dish altogether.

But I do know I've came across this vine dish in Turkish restaurants aswell.
          Now I suppose its that chicken or the egg question.
          http://www.macedoniantruth.org/forum/showthread.php?p=120873#post120873

Comment

• DraganOfStip
            • Aug 2011

Originally posted by Bill77 View Post
            What is more traditional in Greece is vines used instead of Cabbage.
            I'm not sure if its completely different dish altogether.

But I do know I've came across this vine dish in Turkish restaurants aswell.
            Now I suppose its that chicken or the egg question.
            I don't know how long you haven't been to the republic Bill,but vine-leaf sarma isn't just served in Turkey and Greece,but iit's very common in Macedonia too.
            Especially in the summer period when vine leafs are widely spread.
            In my hometown of Stip we only use the cabbage leafs to make sarma in winter,while in summer everyone makes sarma using vine leafs.
            The filling (at least in Stip) is a blend of rice and minced meat,seasoned with carrots,onions,parsley and salt/pepper by need.
            And with a bit of yogurt,sour cream or even a traditional Macedonian "kiselo mleko" on the side (or on top) - this dish is magnificent.
            Oh,my stomach started howling already...

P.S.: Some even use chard as a replacement for vine leafs.Tasty as well
            Here are some examples of chard sarma (also goes well with kiselo mleko):

Last edited by DraganOfStip; 08-27-2014, 02:51 AM.
            ”A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims... but accomplices”
            ― George Orwell

Comment

• Bill77
              • Oct 2009

Ive never tried it as my mother never made it.
              After all, It might not be foreign in Macedonia, but it's foreign to my stomach.
              http://www.macedoniantruth.org/forum/showthread.php?p=120873#post120873

Comment

• DraganOfStip
                • Aug 2011

Originally posted by Bill77 View Post
                Ive never tried it as my mother never made it.
                After all, It might not be foreign in Macedonia, but it's foreign to my stomach.
                You should introduce your stomach to vine-leaf sarma then,once you do I belive you won't even look at the fermented cabage-leaf one (it gives me stomach acid burning sensation from the fermentation,so I'm not particularly fond of it,I usually only eat the filling).
                It won't be exaggeration to say it's my favorite dish ever.Pizza-schmizza,burger-murger,vine-leaf sarma is the real deal.

I think you can also find some recipes online,do try it,you don't know what you're missing.And kiselo mleko/yogurt/sour cream only enhances the flavor.
                Yummy...
                ”A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims... but accomplices”
                ― George Orwell

Comment

• Philosopher
                  • Sep 2008

Grape leaf "sarma" is a very common dish in Macedonia, but it is not the same as the cabbage leaf sarma.

Grape leaves are very high calcium and Omega 3 fatty acids.

Comment

• DraganOfStip
                    • Aug 2011

Originally posted by Philosopher View Post
                    Grape leaf "sarma" is a very common dish in Macedonia, but it is not the same as the cabbage leaf sarma.

Grape leaves are very high calcium and Omega 3 fatty acids.
                    Man,I sure wish there was a "Like" button here.
                    Bill,here are a couple of recipies for you,it's not hard to prepare and the taste is amazing.

Кромидот се пржи да зарумени,се ставаат морковот,магдоносот,потоа меленото месо и се зачинуваат со сол...

Сармите се неизоставен дел од македонската национална кујна. Наш предлог за денес се сармички од винова лоза со кисело млеко.

Листовите се бланшираат (само кратко да зовријат во врела вода), се цедат и се оставаат да се...
                    ― George Orwell

Comment

• chalky333
                      • Aug 2014

my mother is making me cabge leve dish tomorrow love this dish but she does it in a redish sours and for a side dish tomatoes and onion in oil il post some pics up tomorrow sorry for my spelling

Comment

• George S.
                        • Aug 2009

chalky welcome to our forum.The thread says question to the greeks??A cabbage dish???
                        How is that a question???relevancy?? of food?JUst out of curosity that must be Sarma thats why you use cabbage leaves that have been pickled with salt.We don't use vine leavesIt'sa ood of the GODS.I'm getting hungry as we talk.
                        "Ido not want an uprising of people that would leave me at the first failure, I want revolution with citizens able to bear all the temptations to a prolonged struggle, what, because of the fierce political conditions, will be our guide or cattle to the slaughterhouse"
                        GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

• spitfire
                          Banned
                          • Aug 2014

Lahanodolmathes is mostly known as in Greece. From the greek word "Lahano" which means cabbage and the turkish word "dolma" which means stuffed vegetable.
                          It is also known as "sarmathes" but not in all regions. Recipes vary as usual.
                          Last edited by spitfire; 08-29-2014, 10:29 AM.

Comment

• Philosopher
                            • Sep 2008

Originally posted by spitfire View Post
                            Lahanodolmathes is mostly known as in Greece. From the greek word "Lahano" which means cabbage and the turkish word "dolma" which means stuffed vegetable.
                            It is also known as "sarmathes" but not in all regions. Recipes vary as usual.
                            How do you know? Are you Greek?

Comment

• spitfire
                              Banned
                              • Aug 2014

Originally posted by Philosopher View Post
                              How do you know? Are you Greek?
                              Isn't it obvious?

Ooops, no it isn't, forgot to put an address. You got me

EDIT: Fixed.
                              Last edited by spitfire; 08-29-2014, 09:14 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X