• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Risto the Great
    • Sep 2008

My heartfelt "adieu" to a failing Macedonia

By Harald Schenker

It is a tradition that last interviews and columns are especially candid. So be it. This is my last, so let’s get on with it.

Historian, analyst and blogger Harald Schenker, who has lived in Macedonia since 1999 and is now moving to Switzerland, created social network buzz with his farewell post, addressed to a “failing Macedonia”, in which he provides a diagnosis for the country's demise and a plea for rebuilding Macedonian society.

Where is Macedonia today, compared to the shaky, insecure and unstable structure I found when I first arrived in 1999? There are many ways to answer this and what could follow is a detailed analysis of progress factors and stepping-stones.

I leave that to others. I shall stay on the short and subjective side. I won’t mention any activities I was involved in, or actual political issues.

To me, and it gives me much pain to put this into plain words, Macedonia is in great danger of becoming a failing model. It is a structure that has not sought, and hence has not found, answers to crucial questions. I fail to understand how this can be, but I have to state it – that the intellectual carelessness of its self-styled elites is not only astonishing; it is an attitude that may cost them very dearly.

I am a great advocate of individual nonchalance when it comes to actually living an alternative attitude and life-style to the narrow minded, anti-urban and rather disgusting national stuck-up-ness of those dominating the ruling VMRO-DPMNE and increasingly also the DUI.

But that does not absolve thinkers from developing alternatives; it does not absolve them from actively seeking and offering an alternative. The process of Macedonian (and here as always I mean this beyond ethnic categories) nation making is far from over; in fact it has entered a third, destructive phase and nobody seems to mind.

So little, that nobody seems to think about how a next phase might look, the one that undoes the damage. Strategies? None.

After the model of a national state of the Nineties and the post-Ohrid changes of the 2000s, installing de facto a bipolar power-sharing model, the model of this decade, as designed by its political actors, seems to be one of disintegration - a return to the familiar stable odour of petty national egoisms.

Power sharing has degenerated into ethnic ignorance and disinterest. Governing is happening in ethnically segregated segments of the administration, to each their clientele, so that the money-making machinery can run unharmed.

The rest is threats, intimidation and pressure, a silenced media and a population living in fear of losing the little they have.

I imperatively call for the development of a serious alternative to this way of destroying a society and ruining a country. Where are all the thinkers that this society once prided itself on? Where is the intellectual resistance? If it does not emerge, I fear the worst.

By intellectual resistance I do not mean the impotent political posers of an opposition that has left itself destitute of legitimacy and hope - a clientele group left without a patron, which has not been able to formulate a single idea recently.

All the SDSM and its allies have come up with in recent years are cries of outrage at their opponents’ ruthless way of governing. Well, the people who remember the Nineties are still around. That will work well especially with those who were exposed to the ruthless seizure of social assets back then. Sure.

The role of an opposition in a system in which the government seems unable to resist the temptations of totalitarianism is to be radically different. Instead of merely parroting government decisions by condemning them, I would like to see real concepts and ideas put forward to the public. I would have liked to see a real shadow government with real initiatives, instead of political theatre.

But in the political space where there should be an opposition, there is nothing but a void, since everything else would imply real, hard work. And it does not come as a surprise, since, in the end, all these structures are the result of the same essentially flawed concept of perceiving politics as just another manifestation of the patronage system.

No political or ethnic party, with the possible exception of VMRO-DPMNE, has a clear concept of what it wants this small society to evolve into. And the only existing one is so outlandish that it normally would be material for a series of jokes.

Only, in Macedonia reality outdoes any joke. “Skopje 2014” is the architectural materialisation of a permanent social and intellectual apocalypse, in which society is exposed to the intellectual equivalent of gang rape in the name of stubbornness, in the name of a collective inferiority complex of pathological dimensions, in the name of revenge by a group that knows deep down that it will never be the elite, no matter how hard they try. The authors of this anti-urban monstrosity will never be able to even understand the narrow-mindedness of their deeds. But the damage they are doing is probably irreparable.

Prostitution of artistic and intellectual mediocrities in the name of a career in the long shade of the powerful fills entire libraries, so I won’t waste virtual space on them. Suffice to say that their desperate apologetic attempts are nothing short of disgusting.

About the successful silencing of the media in Macedonia enough has been said. What I fail to understand here is the lack of vision of the major donors. The imperative now is to pool resources and create a strong threefold media outlet: a TV station, a newspaper and a website, which would be shielded from government interference.

What is happening in reality? Radio Free Europe may close its service, after BBC has already done so. And Voice of America. Oh well. I wonder what it would take to wake up donors and remind them that their responsibility is not primarily with their respective programs and managers, but the beneficiaries. Surely a lot more than this appeal.

Let’s now get to my favourite, the so-called civil society, some of them my friends and colleagues, others people I worked with, and others, finally, people I tried to work with. To all of them I have harsh words: civil engagement is not a job.

Civil engagement cannot be equated to euros. As long as Macedonia’s civil society sector continues merely to be a job-generating machine, you cannot expect social change, except for those working in the sector, of course.

The new, donor-driven bourgeoisie has installed itself comfortably and conformably in the centre of society, from where it aspires to more and learns to despise the have-nots, while not so secretly living in fear of being next to join those have-nots - if they are found too critical either of the power structures or the donors themselves. This is the material that kills social change.

To makes things worse, it produces a buffer layer, which is resistant to pressure from those who it should work for but highly responsive to pressure from above. Someone - I can’t remember who, maybe it was even myself - called this phenomenon the belt of opportunism keeping society together.

Activism, or the pose of activism, has become fashionable, to be worn with a dose of leftist allure. It does not occur to these mostly young people that this is not the place for pop icons like Che Guevara, that there is not a revolution going on, that this is not a class struggle (in which most of them would be the class enemy anyway), it is simply an attempt to construct a society, unsexy as this may seem.

This is not the time and place for anti-globalism and criticism of capitalism, because Macedonia is neither really connected globally nor do the strongly state controlled economy and the equally controlled market qualify as capitalism. Imported ideas and slogans may look cool, but mostly miss the point. The point is the people.

Bringing down a government is not something you can achieve with a few hundred, even with a few thousand, people in the streets. It requires work and dedication. It requires an idea. But this is where much of it ends. Aligning with (opposition) political parties is as far as this activism goes. No wonder it has been at every step threatened by hostile take-overs. Little thought is given to concepts of a different society here, too. Substituting the ruling patronage groups with their nemesis will not do.

Building a society implies creating a conceptual space in which visions and ideas can be disputed. Since state institutions and academia largely failed here, there is a need for another type of space.

The government’s manic obsession with occupying the public space and dominating any debate can only be countered by ignoring it, evading it and creating an alternative, growing reality. Tying energies into reacting to every official statement is a waste of capacity.

Real activism and opposition consists in closing the space for the government machinery and in ridiculing its stuck-up-ness, offering better ways, visible to anyone. Real activism means taking risks, acting strongly, showing force. But there is a long way to go until there.

In the meantime people are leaving, both the best qualified and the low paid. With Macedonia at the bottom of the direct foreign investment table, with only half the volume going to Kosovo, there are serious grounds for fearing that an economic and financial model based on a stable denar is reaching its limits. But there is no public discussion about the implications. Passivity everywhere, and blind trust in fate.

But fate itself is blind, dear friends; unless you take it by its hand and show it where to act, there will be no change. As I said in the beginning, Macedonia could fail. It may do so, not because of external problems, as the government tries to make everyone believe, but because of the passivity of its own citizens.

Then again, elections might be around the corner, again. This will be another major opportunity for citizens to publicly show their allegiance and convince at least fifteen others to do so. Or else. Or will they?

I wanted to close with a few words about the president, but I realise a mechanical reluctance in my typing fingers, and decide to give in. So this blog ends with no words about the president. Maybe I should… Nah!
    I just read "failing Macedonia" and agreed. The rest makes sense too I suppose.
    Risto the Great
    MACEDONIA:ANHEDONIA
    "Holding my breath for the revolution."

Hey, I wrote a bestseller. Check it out: www.ren-shen.com
  • makedonche
    • Oct 2008

Originally posted by Risto the Great View Post
    By Harald Schenker

It is a tradition that last interviews and columns are especially candid. So be it. This is my last, so let’s get on with it.

Historian, analyst and blogger Harald Schenker, who has lived in Macedonia since 1999 and is now moving to Switzerland, created social network buzz with his farewell post, addressed to a “failing Macedonia”, in which he provides a diagnosis for the country's demise and a plea for rebuilding Macedonian society.

I just read "failing Macedonia" and agreed. The rest makes sense too I suppose.
    Risto
    Very sad....but very true! No wonder he's moving to Switzerland.
    On Delchev's sarcophagus you can read the following inscription: "We swear the future generations to bury these sacred bones in the capital of Independent Macedonia. August 1923 Illinden"

Comment

• Gocka
      • Dec 2012

Wow, so its not just me then. Sad how a foreigner who has lived there a relatively short time can have such a clear and correct view of what is going on, yet the fyromci have lived there for ever and they are blind as a bat. At first reading it, I was impressed, but then I quickly realized its not impressive its just so freaking obvious what is going on that anyone with half a brain can see it and understand it, just apparently not Macedonians.

It is a failing nation, with failing attitudes, a failing economy, a failing social fabric, a failing political system, a failing academia, a failing identity. What else can you pile on? What has to happen for them to wake up? An Albanian president? Waking up to not have bread or water one day? Death and disease? How bad does it have to get before the majority, or even a large minority, start to take notice and take action?

Comment

• George S.
        • Aug 2009

you can run but you cant hide.the demise has allready occured.
        "Ido not want an uprising of people that would leave me at the first failure, I want revolution with citizens able to bear all the temptations to a prolonged struggle, what, because of the fierce political conditions, will be our guide or cattle to the slaughterhouse"
        GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

• Volk
          • Sep 2008

Boo fucking hoo.

While he makes some strong points (national strategy, lazy vision-less opposition and passive population)

People are not going to 'act' when they dont know what they want. This article summarizes not only Macedonia, but most of the whole world.

You have a totalitarian elite dominating world media (the same way the government is doing in Macedonia) and the sheep in the whole world sleeping while they and the planet are being raped.

Macedonians will wake up when the rest of the world does.
          Makedonija vo Srce

Comment

• George S.
            • Aug 2009

we have said our adeus by moving to the diaspora.Like rats desrting a sinking ship.
            "Ido not want an uprising of people that would leave me at the first failure, I want revolution with citizens able to bear all the temptations to a prolonged struggle, what, because of the fierce political conditions, will be our guide or cattle to the slaughterhouse"
            GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

• Risto the Great
              • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Volk View Post

People are not going to 'act' when they dont know what they want. This article summarizes not only Macedonia, but most of the whole world.

You have a totalitarian elite dominating world media (the same way the government is doing in Macedonia) and the sheep in the whole world sleeping while they and the planet are being raped.

Macedonians will wake up when the rest of the world does.
              I can't agree. From a relative perspective, Macedonia is way behind any nation. It has educated citizens that can't rise. It has poor people that can't rise. A quasi nation with a fading identity that was forged 100 years ago.
              Risto the Great

Comment

• George S.
                • Aug 2009

we have got to see & compare ourselves to how smaller nations acted & got their freedom.Why we havent achieved the simplest thing of being recognized by our captors.
                GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

• George S.
                  • Aug 2009

macedonians are not worthy of thrmselves yet.they don't know where the door is.
                  GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

• Volk
                    • Sep 2008

I can't agree. From a relative perspective, Macedonia is way behind any nation. It has educated citizens that can't rise. It has poor people that can't rise. A quasi nation with a fading identity that was forged 100 years ago.
                    Way behind 'any' nation? What does that even mean? That Macedonia is the most backward nation in the world?? Are you kidding me?

Education does not automatically result in the 'rise' of the educated. And by rise I am assume your referring to a person rising through the levels of society, power and influence. Since when does an education result in "rising"?

Quasi nation? I hope you are not referring to the Macedonian national identity as 'quasi'?

The defeatist attitude on this forum frankly sickens me which is why I barley come on here. This is a morbid self-defeatist black hole.

If the people here actually loved their nation and identity as much as they make out they do, they would fight for it. You know in actual ways to improve it. All I see here is absolute negativity regarding everything Macedonian.

If a person loves something and they see it in trouble, they do everything they can to help it. The dire situation you see the nation in should propel you into action, not dis-action.

Get off your ass and help the cause: otherwise your 0 contribution to it leaves your opinions baseless.
                    Makedonija vo Srce

Comment

• Risto the Great
                      • Sep 2008

Maybe I just have the intellectual honesty to tell it like it is. Nice to have blind optimism. Macedonia is a quasi nation right now. Take a look. Ethnic Albanians have the final say. Did you miss that. The Macedonian national identity is barely there. It was better 100 years ago. Tell me why you disagree.

How many nations are worse than Macedonia in your mind? I mean from a national identification perspective. Might as well talk about economics as well.

By rising, I'm talking about creating change. It's going backwards and RoMacedonians are to blame. I just hope I can embarrass some of them. Disgusting fyromians. Are you one of those guys who harps on about soldiers fighting under the ventilator? I want nothing to do with fyromians any more. But I love Macedonians, usually.
                      Risto the Great

Comment

• Risto the Great
                        • Sep 2008

Oh, and tell me how the Macedonian national identity is improving in your mind.

The last time Macedonians in the diaspora wanted to help was in 2001. We were told to fuck off in no uncertain terms. What a silly and fatal response.
                        Risto the Great

Comment

• Volk
                          • Sep 2008

Maybe I just have the intellectual honesty to tell it like it is. Nice to have blind optimism. Macedonia is a quasi nation right now. Take a look. Ethnic Albanians have the final say. Did you miss that. The Macedonian national identity is barely there. It was better 100 years ago. Tell me why you disagree.

How many nations are worse than Macedonia in your mind? I mean from a national identification perspective. Might as well talk about economics as well.

By rising, I'm talking about creating change. It's going backwards and RoMacedonians are to blame. I just hope I can embarrass some of them. Disgusting fyromians. Are you one of those guys who harps on about soldiers fighting under the ventilator? I want nothing to do with fyromians any more. But I love Macedonians, usually.
                          Please Risto, your 'intellectual honesty' I am sure goes way beyond "The rest makes sense too I suppose"

And I do not have blind optimism, because I myself work towards the betterment of our nation and know like minded people both in and out of Macedonia. Those 'fyromci' just need there eyes opened to wake up, and the only way to do that is through example and strong Macedonians to take charge and lead.

What does a defeatist attitude bring? defeat.

Yes to a certain point Albanians do have the final say, however only as far as Macedonians let them however. There are around 500,000 Albanians in Macedonia.. With the dramatic extensional decline in Macedonian demographics over the past 20 years this problem will only get larger and if it continues their power will only decrease. The highest court in the land (you know run by those educated people you mentioned) ruled it unconstitutional if people in eastern Macedonia receive incentives to have more children.

Calling Macedonia a 'quasi nation' (which by definition negates the Macedonia identity and nation - again I hope this is not what your referring to) has nothing to do with the loss of Macedonian power.

Taking into account the above, what kind of changes would you like to see? - What should those 'educated' Macedonian strive for?

In regards as to how the Macedonian national identity is improving, I would like to make two points: 1 Our connection to Ancient Macedonia has become an integral part of our identity and this will only improve (something that during communist times was not even spoken about). 2 Despite all of the external pressures from the outside forces that have been working to eliminate us from the planet for over 100 years, we are still here and fighting.

As I am almost certain you have not visited Macedonia for at least 15 years (or ever), I am sure you would appreciate the fact that despite being shun by the government the kutlesko sonce is still widely used by the population.

What part of the diaspora tried to help in 2001 and how? If you are suggesting that volunteers where told to 'fuck off', I can confirm the opposite.

My main point you completely side stepped so I will state it again in hope for a response:

If the people here actually loved their nation and identity as much as they make out they do, they would fight for it. You know in actual ways to improve it. All I see here is absolute negativity regarding everything Macedonian.

If a person loves something and they see it in trouble, they do everything they can to help it. The dire situation you see the nation in should propel you into action, not dis-action.
                          Makedonija vo Srce

Comment

• Risto the Great
                            • Sep 2008

Been there 5 times in the last 10 years. I can see and am honest enough to talk about it. Couldn't give a shit about ancient Macedonia. More concerned with future Macedonia.

The organisations offering help in 2001 were told everything was under control. We can all see it was under control. It just wasn't by Macedonians.

The educated judges were probably right in the way they interpreted the fundamentally flawed constitution. But they refuse to condemn it. Piss weak Macedonians. That is what I'm talking about. They haven't risen, nor the poor. They're accepting their 21st century version of slavery.

If it wasn't for the MTO, your beloved UMD wouldn't even be trying to talk tough on the extremely odd occasion when they depart from being DPmNE fanbois.

I was trying to organize Macedonian IT professionals some work. The response was so pitiful that I I was embarrassed to talk to my clients for months. I was organising massive investments in the wine industry. But it felt like I was dealing with very powerful children. Mentally unstable.

While other friends of yours were trying to sort out Rann or something, I was indeed trying to make change. But yeah, I'm pretty sick of them now. They need to want it for themselves. You can lead a horse to water, but it shouldn't be going to Greece and showing its arse while hiding it's identity.

So what are you doing other than ringing up your relatives?
                            Risto the Great

Comment

• Risto the Great
                              • Sep 2008

A real nation does not allow questioning of it's identity. The Macedonian nation allows it every time it walks in the international arena. It's identity is questionable.

A real nation is the homeland of it's ethnic majority. And guess who has the final say. And can it be understood to be the homeland if ethnic Albanians have final say?

Quasi nation. Accept it and tell me how it will change.
                              Risto the Great

Comment

Working...
                              X