• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Phoenix
    • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Bill77 View Post
    Phoenix

This is a true story and I still piss my self every time I think of it.

A little while ago, I paid visit to a great aunt of mine who was in hospital at the time.
    Her grandson became a father not long before that. Her grandsons partner was an Aussie so by the looks of things, she had the only say in naming the baby as they named their new son a Anglo name "Clay"

My baba's reaction when she was explaining it to me was priceless.

QUOTE: Shto e ova decata shto prat. Za grevota go vikat deteto Klaj.
    Klaj e ko kje mu Kazish na nekoj...... "Klaj go chashata na masa" ili "Klaj si pantolonite"

Another funny story was at a wedding. A old lady sitting next to us telling us about her grandson naming his son "Karl"

QUOTE: lele go vikat fnukmi "kal" sinkir valkan daje
    ...it's really not that hard but some parents just don't get it.

Comment

• Origin
      • Jun 2009

Originally posted by Risto the Great View Post
      A little Butter or Oil, Self Raising Flour, Cold water (Or Chicken Stock for more flavour) in stages bit by bit, Finely chopped garlic, Red Pepper for colour (White if you don't use pepper).

It mustn't be burned.
      It looks like crumbs, but you keep pressing it and adding water/stock to get the consistency you need.

That ought to get you started.
      Judging by your description Macedonian Sun, the recipe outlined by RtG is the way to go. This is how mum has always made makalo, baba always uses lamb fat from roasts instead of oil/butter - talk about a party for your taste buds. The more garlic the better for my taste, and definatley dont over fry the flour before adding the water. Also, the longer you leave it on the heat the more it will thicken.
      "You are entitled to your own opinions, but you're not entitled to your own facts"

Comment

• George S.
        • Aug 2009

A makalo is not a dipping sauce.THe makalo that macedonians make is a "STIR FRY" Makalao .Da Makash means to scoop up the food with the bread.The dip is you dip your food in a sauce(not makalo) example chips or put on a piece of chicken.
        You guys are describibng makalo with a dipping sauce completely different & is off topic.I can't think anything that is a makalo that equates with the dipping sauces used or made.
        Makalo is not a SAUCE .I know this as i have worked for 30 years in the food industry.I have made both makalo & sauces.Lately have you tried to dip your chips in a makalo ,you need a sauce.You guys are making me laugh & chuckle as this is getting hillariously funny.
        Last edited by George S.; 08-17-2013, 07:09 AM.
        "Ido not want an uprising of people that would leave me at the first failure, I want revolution with citizens able to bear all the temptations to a prolonged struggle, what, because of the fierce political conditions, will be our guide or cattle to the slaughterhouse"
        GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

• George S.
          • Aug 2009

"Originally Posted by Risto the Great View Post
          A little Butter or Oil, Self Raising Flour, Cold water (Or Chicken Stock for more flavour) in stages bit by bit, Finely chopped garlic, Red Pepper for colour (White if you don't use pepper).

It mustn't be burned.
          It looks like crumbs, but you keep pressing it and adding water/stock to get the consistency you need.

That ought to get you started.""
          If you can get this to a sauce consistency i'll agree with you but it looks like a stir fry for the manja.Can you dip your chips in that or smear it like a sauce on a piece of roast chicken?Dipping sauces & makalo is different.
          "the longer you leave it on the heat the more it will thicken." You can't make a dipping sauce in a tava you need a blender to make it the right constituency as of a sauce.I had a big laugh as you would try and to dip food in that.
          Makalo is made in the tava & dipping sauce is in the blender.A bit of TLC is required otherwise you'll get it wrong.
          Last edited by George S.; 08-17-2013, 07:12 AM.
          "Ido not want an uprising of people that would leave me at the first failure, I want revolution with citizens able to bear all the temptations to a prolonged struggle, what, because of the fierce political conditions, will be our guide or cattle to the slaughterhouse"
          GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

Working...
          X