• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Macedonian Sun
    • Oct 2009

Recipe - Makalo

Ok guys & girls, need some help here.

Last year when visiting Ohrid we were eating in a restaurant and we ordered a plate of dips & bread for starters to share and one of the dips was this thick white paste which was garlic flavoured and it was fantastic!. We asked the waiter how it was made and he said ' luc i maslo'.... he lied!

My wife, rom born maco, had never seen this before so we were keen to reproduce this fine paste back home in perth. So shes tried so many times to get it right mincing garlic and oil and all you end up with is an inedible mouth scorching concoction that you might spread in someones underwear as a nasty practical joke.

So I stumbled upon some stuff while surfing the net at work today as you do and i came across some info that says makalo is made from garlic & YOGURT! Can any fine maco here confirm the recipe of this spread for me, my wife wont rest until shes learned it and we all of course want to consume it with a fine piece of leb!
    Last edited by Macedonian Sun; 08-12-2013, 07:25 AM.
  • George S.
    • Aug 2009

that dip is usually made by lebanese takeaways.You get it with your chicken & chips there is a technique on how to make it someone told me any oil used is slowly put in.As how to make it go to any lebo takeaways & they'll tell you.I have made a yoghurt dip similar to the greek tzasiki ,yoghurt ,garlic,cucumber,etc.
    "Ido not want an uprising of people that would leave me at the first failure, I want revolution with citizens able to bear all the temptations to a prolonged struggle, what, because of the fierce political conditions, will be our guide or cattle to the slaughterhouse"
    GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

• DedoAleko
      • Jun 2009

"Makalo" (noun) can be translated as dip,appetizer,... "Da maknesh" (verb) means to soak your bread in (any type of food).
      I origin from Strumica and we don't use this word.We just say "Da topnesh" (verb), but my wife and her fam. with origin from Radovish use this word.

This is link with recipes for different kinds of makala and also nice place to find many other interestind recepies:

p.s. George, you should start using the word Macedonians version- "taratur" instead of the gReek "tzatziki" : )
      Last edited by DedoAleko; 08-12-2013, 02:49 PM.

Comment

• Risto the Great
        • Sep 2008

OMG, please tell me me you all know what "makaj" means.
        Risto the Great
        MACEDONIA:ANHEDONIA
        "Holding my breath for the revolution."

Hey, I wrote a bestseller. Check it out: www.ren-shen.com

Comment

• Risto the Great
          • Sep 2008

I'll ask my mother how to make it.
          My baba used to make it with rabbit meat. A tasty combination.
          Risto the Great

Comment

• George S.
            • Aug 2009

Dp we used tzasiki sauce ,garlic,yoghurt & minced up cucumber..They call it greek style tszaziki sauce.I don't give a shit that's what the aussies call it.
            Tartur sauce or tartar sauce is different to tsaziki sauce .They use mayo made from whites of eggs & vinegar etc & no cucumber.
            In australia it's becoming more often when people place their orders say with chicken & chips they want a DIPPING SAUCE.Americans call it ketchupp,there is no end to it people ask for the sauce you spread on their burger etc to dip their chips in.It just happens that people like the garlic spread.I was told its the way its made .You can use mayo &garlic.Or you can make your own sauce by making the mayo & then add the garlic.
            I should know i havw been in the food game for 28 years.I should know about it as people have requested lots of different sauces over the years with their take away.(dipping sauces) Tartur sauces are more used with fish & chips,sauces like tzaki are used in souvlaki the two are completely different.
            Dipping sauce is a misnomer as people with so called macedonian sauces only dip ther bread by skooping a handfull on the bread not simply for dipping kind of dunking yor biscuit style.You know my drift.
            Last edited by George S.; 08-12-2013, 06:55 PM.
            "Ido not want an uprising of people that would leave me at the first failure, I want revolution with citizens able to bear all the temptations to a prolonged struggle, what, because of the fierce political conditions, will be our guide or cattle to the slaughterhouse"
            GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

• Macedonian Sun
              • Oct 2009

No no, this stuff wasnt taratur or shitziki, it was just garlic flavoured, no meat, no veggies etc. I thought it might be something from the ohrid area

Comment

• George S.
                • Aug 2009

dp threw me of the topic.
                All it is mayo & frigging minced up in your blender garlic.Very easy to make.Take yopur favourite mayo,tommy?? garlic & whip it up in your blender.
                GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

• Risto the Great
                  • Sep 2008

The makalo I am talking about is a very light brown coloured creamy textured food. It definitely has flour in it.
                  Risto the Great

Comment

• Macedonian Sun
                    • Oct 2009

perhaps it was some ohridski local version of makalo?

Comment

• United MKD
                      • Jul 2011

Originally posted by Macedonian Sun View Post
                      Ok guys & girls, need some help here.

Last year when visiting Ohrid we were eating in a restaurant and we ordered a plate of dips & bread for starters to share and one of the dips was this thick white paste which was garlic flavoured and it was fantastic!. We asked the waiter how it was made and he said ' luc i maslo'.... he lied!

My wife, rom born maco, had never seen this before so we were keen to reproduce this fine paste back home in perth. So shes tried so many times to get it right mincing garlic and oil and all you end up with is an inedible mouth scorching concoction that you might spread in someones underwear as a nasty practical joke.

So I stumbled upon some stuff while surfing the net at work today as you do and i came across some info that says makalo is made from garlic & YOGURT! Can any fine maco here confirm the recipe of this spread for me, my wife wont rest until shes learned it and we all of course want to consume it with a fine piece of leb!
                      Which restaurant? I had something very similar or it might be the same thing at 'Hotel Garden' in Ohrid. It was amazing.

Comment

• Peshoshnitsa Lerin
                        • Jun 2012

hey guys the makalo that i know is like gravy but not as dark,
                        its made from oil flower salt pepper water and maby garlic and cooked in a tava i think! im not 100% sure but my buba made this many times and calls it makalo

Comment

• Risto the Great
                          • Sep 2008

A little Butter or Oil, Self Raising Flour, Cold water (Or Chicken Stock for more flavour) in stages bit by bit, Finely chopped garlic, Red Pepper for colour (White if you don't use pepper).

It mustn't be burned.
                          It looks like crumbs, but you keep pressing it and adding water/stock to get the consistency you need.

That ought to get you started.
                          Risto the Great

Comment

• Macedonian Sun
                            • Oct 2009

Originally posted by United MKD View Post
                            Which restaurant? I had something very similar or it might be the same thing at 'Hotel Garden' in Ohrid. It was amazing.
                            I cant remember the name. If you walk up the main pedestrian drag with the cobbled stones you come to a fountain i think. At the end the cetaliste splits into 3-4 diff directions, its there, decorated with lots of wood. Not a very good description sorry.

Comment

• DedoAleko
                              • Jun 2009

Originally posted by George S. View Post
                              Tartur sauce or tartar sauce is different to tsaziki sauce ...i
                              Tarator, Tarathor or Taratur ( Persian: آب دوغ خیار‎, Albanian: tarator, Bulgarian: таратор, Macedonian: таратур, Serbian: таратор), is a traditional Balkan dish. It is a cold soup (or a liquid salad),[1] popular in the summertime in Albania, Armenia, Bulgaria, the Republic of Macedonia, southeastern Serbia, Turkey, Azerbaijan, Iraq, Iran, Lebanon, Syria, Jordan, Israel, Palestine, and in Cyprus (where it is known as Ttalattouri). It is made of yogurt, cucumber, garlic, walnut, dill, vegetable oil, and water,[2] and is served chilled or even with ice. Local variations may replace yogurt with water and vinegar, omit nuts or dill, or add bread. The cucumbers may on rare occasions be replaced with lettuce or carrots...
                              In gReece, a similar meal is known as tzatziki. Tzatziki usually contains olive oil, parsley and mint in addition to the ingredients listed above.

izvor: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tarator

Tartar sauce is a thick, white, cold sauce, based on mayonnaise, which is typically served with deep-fried fish or seafood.
                              It is based on mayonnaise (egg yolk, vinegar or lemon juice, and oil) with some extra ingredients. In the UK recipes typically add to the base: capers, gherkins, lemon juice, and tarragon. American recipes may include chopped pickles, capers, onions (or chives), and fresh parsley.[1] Chopped hard-boiled eggs or olives are sometimes added, as may be Dijon mustard.[2]

izvor: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tartar_sauce

George, in my hometown of Strumica if you say "tziziki" instead of "taratur" (we simply say "Tr'tor" ) the waiter will think that you are either gReek or some other kind of an asshole.
                              Last edited by DedoAleko; 08-13-2013, 09:12 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X