Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • EgejskaMakedonia
    • Jan 2010

Lerin posted this on my public profile a week ago, so I assume he is happy for me to reply to his post in this particular thread.

hi egejska, yes i may have been generalising re aegean macedonians and the fact that a lot of young ones are calling themselves greek but this is my experience. As i said i don't think they can relate at all to the republic which i can understand as i don't relate to it either. They also have other grkomani friends who easily persuade them i guess. I mean think about how many aegeans there are here and how many young aegean macedonian associations there are i.e. zero!!!!. That is really sad. I also think the surnames have a lot to do with it believe it or not and one can understand why the greeks went about changing our surnames. The young ones today a lot of them I'm not saying all see there surname sounds greek and think well i must be greek also. Ye my grandparents don't speak it but I'm still greek..also their parents most of them say 40ish don't even speak maco so its easy to say they are greek. When the grand parents die off then the total maso connection will die off completely. If you say this is not true then where are the young macedonians from aegean getting together and doing something positive. There are heaps of young greek associations i mean one of my cousins does greek dancing!!. Yes okay they may be grkomani but at the same time you try finding a dancing group that caters for macedonians from our region and u can't unless you want to join some prosfygi or greeks. Very sad that our youth are losing touch with their true history. I beg to differ with you because i don't see these young proud aegeans that you talk about. You go to shepparton, or doncaster or templestowe or anywhere in melbourne and find these grkomani there are thousands. My disappointment is more the young than the old as they still call their grandparents baba and dedo and still can't see they are not greek. Its like they speak this other language but no big deal we are still greek.. If you see these young proud ageans where are they and where are there associations.

One proud macedonian.
    I think most egejci don't feel a strong connection with the Republic, and this is mainly due to the territorial division and differing circumstances within each region. However, this gap has closed a lot over the years, and you'll find that a lot more egejci can closely relate. That said, it is still quite common that Macedonians from the Republic will look down upon egejci, and in return, egejci often label these Macedonians as 'Yugo Macos.' This further signals that the territorial division has created different groups, each often preferring to stick amongst eachother, despite all of us being Macedonian.

Like I've said earlier, personally, I have more Greek friends than Macedonian. A lot of that is to do with the area I live in and the school I attended. These particular Greeks aren't grkomani, but they do sometimes try to persuade me or fellow Macedonians of our supposed 'Greekness.' In terms of my friends, it is usually just political banter designed to joke around or get under the skin of the other. But some Greeks I've met are dead serious when it comes to this particular discussion. Sometimes they even treat you as one of them, but even then, I believe it is more so attributed to the fellow 'wog' status.

In terms of the lack of aegean youth organisations you mentioned, this isn't an isolated issue. It's a known fact that Macedonians in Australia have had considerable difficulty in banding together for the greater cause. I don't think this is a by-product of grkomani, just a simple case of bad organisation skills and mistrust. It seems to be a common Macedonian trait in Australia.

The surname changes has had an impact, but it is not the sole reason why younger generations of grkomani have emerged. Once again, it is the environment that the child is brought up in that will determine whether they consider themselves as Macedonian or Greek. If their parents tell them they are Greek, then even if their surname ends in -ski or -ov, there will always be some kind of 'cover-up' to explain this. That is only a hypothetical situation...I doubt many egejci would change their surname back if they perceived themselves as Greeks. Look no further than the existing srbomani who still have -ski, this didn't seem to defer them from such a belief.

The part where you mentioned the time when the stari pass away is indeed a real shame. These are the people with the stories to tell, the experiences to share and the heritage to pass on. That's why I encourage all young Macedonians to gather as much information as they can from their dedo and baba. They have some amazing stories to tell that act as a real eye opener.

There was actually a dancing group in Doncaster catering for egejci specifically. It was called something along the lines of the Lerinski sela dancing group. I was a member of this group years ago, but after a number of successful years it closed down. There was a healthy group of members, despite the group being located in the Eastern suburbs. I'm pretty sure there are a number of groups that exist in the western suburbs. They even teach Macedonian at some schools, whereas I only had an option of Japanese, French or Italian in the east. There was also a Macedonian language school in Box Hill a number of years ago, which in its' prime had a very strong attendance. Unfortunately by the end numbers ran thin and it was also closed.

I disagree with your last sentence. The young will only believe they are Greek if they are told that they are Greek. It is the fault of the stari or the parents if they fail to go to the effort to inform their kids that they are Macedonian. I don't expect the kids to know any better just because they call their grandparents baba and dedo...there must be a link missing which must be given to them by their own family.

Macedonian organisations do exist here, but no where near the number that should considering our large presence in Australia.
    Last edited by EgejskaMakedonia; 06-25-2012, 08:28 AM.

Comment

• Lerinsko
      • Aug 2011

Here you go Lerin - perhaps seeing is believing! Perhaps you should go and read up on the Lerin F.C. You'll find many young patriots down that way that simply identify as MACEDONIAN!
      www.plentyvalleylions.com.au Or simply google the Lerin F.C

Comment

• Čento
        • Mar 2012

Lele neli mozete barem da probate da pisuvate na makedonski, angliskiot jazik ic ne mi ide.
        Jас не познавам друг народ кој повеќе страдал од предавствата на своите синови - изроди како македонскиот

Гоце Делчев

Comment

• TrueMako
          • Jun 2012

Originally posted by Big Bad Sven View Post
          Unfortunately many still do.....

I usually see some young macedonian bimbo's with red star shirts at soccer games or party's, and a lot of young macedonian guys getting behind Novak Djekovic in the tennis....
          Excuse me brother Macedonian but what is wrong with supporting Red Star or Novak Djokovic?

And hi everyone, I'm new to the forums - love the Macedonian pride & unity here!

Comment

• Risto the Great
            • Sep 2008

Originally posted by TrueMako View Post
            Excuse me brother Macedonian but what is wrong with supporting Red Star or Novak Djokovic?
            Nothing .... in the same way as supporting a Greek or Greek team.
            TrueMako, you sound like a true Serb to me (or at least a NotTrueMako).
            Risto the Great
            MACEDONIA:ANHEDONIA
            "Holding my breath for the revolution."

Hey, I wrote a bestseller. Check it out: www.ren-shen.com

Comment

• lavce pelagonski
              • Nov 2009

More like a Serb in Macedonian clothing or in this case nickname.
              Стравот на Атина од овој Македонец одел до таму што го нарекле „Страшниот Чакаларов“ „гркоубиец“ и „крвожеден комитаџија“.

„Ако знам дека тука тече една капка грчка крв, јас сега би ја отсекол целата рака и би ја фрлил в море.“ Васил Чакаларов

Comment

• BigMak
                Banned
                • Jan 2009

Originally posted by Risto the Great View Post
                I'm not sure why you ended with this or who you seem to be attacking.
                If the "so called slavs" are speaking a dialect of Macedonian, then you would have to believe they were speaking something else before the Macedonians taught them how to speak.

Can you tell us what the Russians or Serbians were speaking before the Macedonians graced them with the joy of a written language? Can you show me proof of these "pre-Macedonian" languages for these peoples?

I just think some people might recoil and die if they ever hear the word "slavic".

It is a unique phenomena because I never hear such naive responses from anyone in relation to say Latin languages.

I don't believe in the slavic migration theory either by the way.
                Whats your point Risto, I couldn't care less about russian or serb history nor do i want to discuss it, im sure there are plenty of "Slav" forums out there where you can get yourself banned from if you want to join.

Comment

• BigMak
                  Banned
                  • Jan 2009

Originally posted by Big Bad Sven View Post
                  I heard Stan Lazararides is a grkoman. He played for Stirling Makedonijia back in the day and had no problem speaking macedonian in the change rooms. When he became famous he became a proud grik.
                  A few old aegean macedonians who i spoke to over the years told me that his brother is a proud macedonian but Steve and his sister are grkomans.

Apparently Daniel Metropolis is a grkoman, i met some aegean macedonians who have the same surname as him and are distant cousins, and they disown him.

During my life i have met many grkomans who are in high places that own hotels or are lawyers or accountants - so i agree with you that almost half of the people from aegean macedonia are grkomans, which is a shame

Also alarming i notice a lot of aegean girls seem to be dating marrying grks for what ever crazy reason, which i think is a shame and cultural suicide.

I met a few older people who are srbomans as well unfortunately, people who came to australia before WW2 from macedonia.
                  The most famous serboman in Perth is Bobby Despatovski
                  yes BBS you are 100 % right about this,

there are plenty to name,

if only the Macedonians had the balls of the Jewish communities where they segregate individuals and families from contributing in community activities including synagogues.

They soon get re-instated in community life after they have been spoken to by the local rabbi after a teaching of Jewish law, If only Macedonians did the same, and our MOC priests can go visit these grkomani to re-instate their Macedonianism back to reality, and organise a re-instatement project for these fuck wits

Comment

• Big Bad Sven
                    • Jan 2009

And hi everyone, I'm new to the forums - love the Macedonian pride & unity here!
                    Nothing wrong with supporting serbian sports players and teams my brother. I prefer to support Bulgarian sports starts and teams though. If the bulgarians arent doing well i support the greek team and players.

In regards to tennis, i always prefer to support Marcos Bhagdattis of Djojavic, sorry about that
                    Last edited by Big Bad Sven; 06-30-2012, 12:37 AM.

Comment

• Risto the Great
                      • Sep 2008

Originally posted by BigMak View Post
                      Whats your point Risto, I couldn't care less about russian or serb history nor do i want to discuss it, im sure there are plenty of "Slav" forums out there where you can get yourself banned from if you want to join.
                      BigMak,
                      my point was about whether you could tell us what the Russians or Serbians were speaking before the Macedonians graced them with the joy of a written language.

Here is what you said back when you were "discussing it":
                      All so called slavs are speaking a dialect of Macedonian
                      You seem disinterested in Serb or Russian history yet are willing to grace academia with the little known fact that all Russians, Serbs etc speak Macedonian. You don't sound too retarded when you say this with confidence (I'm joking, of course you sound retarded). So why not explore it?

Otherwise you have merely said something without foundation. Happens every day but I feel that sometimes people should be slapped when they can't back up what they say.

Is my point any clearer now?

Just to make it clearer, you sound much more like a peasant than an academic.
                      Risto the Great

Comment

• Risto the Great
                        • Sep 2008

Originally posted by BigMak View Post
                        our MOC priests can go visit these grkomani to re-instate their Macedonianism back to reality, and organise a re-instatement project for these fuck wits
                        Ha ha, meanwhile the MOC priests have their kids go to Serb dance classes. Mate, if you are waiting for priests to perform this function, you better talk to the guy upstairs and organise some lightning bolts pronto.
                        Risto the Great

Comment

• TrueMako
                          • Jun 2012

Nothing .... in the same way as supporting a Greek or Greek team.
                          TrueMako, you sound like a true Serb to me (or at least a NotTrueMako).
                          Greece performed ethnic cleansing on our people and deny our name/history. Serbia promoted the standardization of our jazik and the identity of our people. How do you not see the difference?

Must we always be alone in the Balkans?

Comment

• Risto the Great
                            • Sep 2008

My gut feeling says you are Greek.

Serbs have done nothing for Macedonians other than make many of them like bad music.
                            Risto the Great

Comment

• Phoenix
                              • Dec 2008

...Serbia promoted the standardization of our jazik and the identity of our people. How do you not see the difference?

Must we always be alone in the Balkans?
                              You're not Macedonian.

Comment

• BigMak
                                Banned
                                • Jan 2009

Ha ha, meanwhile the MOC priests have their kids go to Serb dance classes. Mate, if you are waiting for priests to perform this function, you better talk to the guy upstairs and organise some lightning bolts pronto.

I suppose you would prefer a Greek Priest? I'm sure Reverend Father Nikola Gligorovski would like to here what you have been saying about his kids, I just sent him a email with a link.

And here we go, built up anger from the maknews days, where I made you look like a fool over and over again, well its not maknews and its absolutely fantastic you have finally learnt over the years to no longer make unjustifiable excuses for our egej grkoman brothers, but you still like to insult fellow Macedonians by any means necessary, as a result of Admin abuse, well done

oh how things have changed, a new Forum (and thats all it is) and a whole post dedicated on bagging grkomani.

its good you finally have learnt something, but then its fully understandable, I kinda feel sorry for you as you are starved for Macedonian contact being isolated in Adelaide, And yes Adelaide does that to a person with a Majority Grkoman population, hence why for so many years you have made excuses for them, hence why you log into a forum 400 x's a day to release that anger.

If it where real life and not a forum you would have found yourself in hospital and me well, you would most definitely follow the gutless grkoman way and lay a charge of some sort.

Comment

Working...
                                X