X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Soldier of Macedon
    • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Onur
    ........ they claim all of these meals as Greek only even though they use Turkish words for all of them
    Except for 'souvlaki' which is a Turkish kebab with a Greek name.

Onur, does the word 'cacik' (tzatziki) have a meaning in Turkish? Here is something interesting:

In Bulgaria and the Republic of Macedonia, the same dish is known as "dry tarator" (Bulgarian: сух таратор, Macedonian: сув таратор or таратур) or "Snezhanka" salad (салата "Снежанка"), which means "snow white salad", and is served as an appetizer. During preparation, the yogurt (Bulgarian: кисело мляко, Macedonian: кисело млеко) is hung for several hours in a kerchief and loses about half of its water (drained yogurt, Bulgarian: цедено кисело мляко, Macedonian: цедено кисело млеко). The cucumbers, garlic, minced walnuts, salt and vegetable oil are then added.
    And here is a lie from the same article:
    Tzatziki, tzadziki, or tsatsiki (Greek: τζατζίκι [dzaˈdzici]; English pronunciation: /zęˈdʒiːkiː/[citation needed]) (Turkish: Cacık) is a Greek meze or appetizer, also used as a sauce for souvlaki and gyros.
    In the name of the blood and the sun, the dagger and the gun, Christ protect this soldier, a lion and a Macedonian.

Comment

• Prolet
      • Sep 2009

Dont get me started on Sarma, you'll have Croats telling you they are from there, we eat it alot and its a specialty too. Halva as in Alva? We eat alot of it yes.

When you say Pasterma i know what you mean, its dried meat with alot of salt in it this is actually used on the Pastermajlija its very salty and i cant really eat it. Here is what i mean by Pastermajlija there are two versions of it one is basically a normally made version and the other has the egg over it. Veleska and Stipska Pastermajlija (Veles and Stip)

Tatlii like this one

МАКЕДОНЕЦ си кога кавал ќе ти ја распара душата,зурла ќе ти го раскине срцето,кога секое влакно од кожата ќе ти се наежи кога ќе видиш шеснаесеткрако сонце,кога до коска ќе те заболи кога ќе слушнеш ПЈРМ,кога немаш ни за леб,а полн си во душата затоа што ја сакаш МАКЕДОНИЈА. МАКЕДОНИЈА во срце те носиме.

Comment

• Onur
        • Apr 2010

Originally posted by Soldier of Macedon View Post
        Except for 'souvlaki' which is a Turkish kebab with a Greek name.

Onur, does the word 'cacik' (tzatziki) have a meaning in Turkish?

Oh yes, at least they created a Greek name for shish kebab but probably after 20th century in Greece, not sure.

Actually Cacik means "Garnish, side dish" in Turkish but we don't use the word "Cacik" for garnish anymore.

We use the word "cacik" only for this;

And for other type of garnish and side dishes, we use "Meze" or "Garnitur(derived from French)".

We call dried salty meat as "Pastirma" like you said. What you call as "Veleska and Stipska Pastermajlija" above here, looks like some kind of "Pita". We call this as "Pide, pita" in Turkey.

Here is the "Pita, pide" in Turkey;

And we believe that Italian pizza probably derived from this "Pide" since we got pide here even from medieval times.
        Last edited by Onur; 05-13-2010, 12:32 PM.

Comment

• Spartan
          • Sep 2008

^^How about "Dolmades"
          I love them, and heard they originate in Turkey, or the middle east.
          You heard of them?

Comment

• Onur
            • Apr 2010

Originally posted by Spartan View Post
            ^^How about "Dolmades"
            I love them, and heard they originate in Turkey, or the middle east.
            You heard of them?

Yeah, ofc "Sarma" is some kind of "Dolma" as well.

"Dolma" means "filled, stuffed" in Turkish. We call it like that cuz you stuff/fill the ingredients(rice, minced meat etc.) in a pepper, eggplant or in a leaf of some vegetable like cabbage

Comment

• Spartan
              • Sep 2008

^^Cool, same with us.
              We also eat Dolmades in a soup form, without the leaf wrapping.
              We call it Uverelakia, the islanders Yapraikia.

Its Dolma, minus the leaf, in a broth consisting of milk, water, lemon and egg.
              Topped with pepper.
              My favorite dish actually.

It was in fact this dish that tore me in 2 pieces when I got married and left home.
              My woman doesnt make it
              Last edited by Spartan; 05-13-2010, 03:02 PM.

Comment

• Risto the Great
                • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Prolet View Post
                Dont get me started on Sarma, you'll have Croats telling you they are from there
                Sorry Prolet, I have to get you started on Sarma. The Croats were the only ones who were not under Ottoman influence. I know they eat Sarma a lot. It would not be unrealistic to suggest it went from West to East.
                Risto the Great
                MACEDONIA:ANHEDONIA
                "Holding my breath for the revolution."

Hey, I wrote a bestseller. Check it out: www.ren-shen.com

Comment

• Onur
                  • Apr 2010

Originally posted by Risto the Great View Post
                  Sorry Prolet, I have to get you started on Sarma. The Croats were the only ones who were not under Ottoman influence. I know they eat Sarma a lot. It would not be unrealistic to suggest it went from West to East.

Maybe they learned Sarma from Serbian or Vlach immigrants. This would not be unrealistic either.

Comment

• aleksandrov
                    • Feb 2010

Wherever it originally came from, Sarma's current presence is predominantly Eastern:

All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident. Arthur Schopenhauer

https://www.facebook.com/igor.a.aleksandrov?ref=tn_tnmn

Comment

• El Bre
                      • Sep 2008

Looks like veefki to me. Never heard of sarma personally.

Comment

• Onur
                        • Apr 2010

Originally posted by Spartan View Post
                        ^^Cool, same with us.
                        We also eat Dolmades in a soup form, without the leaf wrapping.
                        We call it Uverelakia, the islanders Yapraikia.

Its Dolma, minus the leaf, in a broth consisting of milk, water, lemon and egg.
                        Topped with pepper.
                        My favorite dish actually.

It was in fact this dish that tore me in 2 pieces when I got married and left home.
                        My woman doesnt make it

Hmmm, never heard this kind of soup. Gotta try to prepare it then

Maaan, we got same problem here. Most of girls of my generation cant prepare our good old foods properly. They prefer stupid fast foods or they are only successful on putting frozen food in microwave. Damn, i hate stupid and unhealthy fast food style of Americans.

Comment

• Spartan
                          • Sep 2008

^^I agree about the fast foods, I keep away as best i can.
                          My wife bombards me with Pasta on a daily basis (shes Sicilian), but has picked up some recipes from my mother. We've got to keep at them Onur, slowly slowly they'll learn....or else we move back home

Anyways, heres a pic of the 'dolmada soup' -

Another question if I may, do you guys combine egg and lemon often for sauces and broths?
                          Last edited by Spartan; 05-13-2010, 07:05 PM.

Comment

• Prolet
                            • Sep 2009

Risto, I never said Sarma is Croatian i just said that many Croats believe it is, its their specialty too. We make alot of posni sarmi too especially for Slavi and so forth.

Onur, My favorite Turkish dish has to be Iskender, its beautiful i used to eat it all the time at the Turkish Restaurant in Stara Charshija in Skopje.
                            МАКЕДОНЕЦ си кога кавал ќе ти ја распара душата,зурла ќе ти го раскине срцето,кога секое влакно од кожата ќе ти се наежи кога ќе видиш шеснаесеткрако сонце,кога до коска ќе те заболи кога ќе слушнеш ПЈРМ,кога немаш ни за леб,а полн си во душата затоа што ја сакаш МАКЕДОНИЈА. МАКЕДОНИЈА во срце те носиме.

Comment

• Risto the Great
                              • Sep 2008

I know you didn't say that Prolet. I am saying they did not receive the Ottoman food influence. So perhaps it did come from our neck of the woods first. But I also accept that influence in Croatia could have come from migrating Serbs etc. per Onur's suggestion.
                              Risto the Great
                              MACEDONIA:ANHEDONIA
                              "Holding my breath for the revolution."

Hey, I wrote a bestseller. Check it out: www.ren-shen.com

Comment

• Bij
                                • Oct 2009

I did try the lokumi in istanbul and they are amaaaazing. like nothing i've ever tried before. didn't feel the same way about the baklava though

Comment

Working...
                                X