Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Daskalot
    • Sep 2008

Svoliani, please tell us about the kaksi maksi and praski......
    Macedonian Truth Organisation

Comment

• Giorikas
      • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Metodija View Post
      Bla bla bla...

Giorkakis, you are mixing a language with a alphabet. Take this post, I write it in English using the Latin alphabet. Does that make me English or Italian?
      No of course not, I'm a Macedonian.
      Excellent point. Where did I contradict that? That Thraks and Etrusks managed to write borrowing from the Greek script script does not make them Greek, neither their language.
      Last edited by Giorikas; 11-11-2008, 02:03 AM.

Comment

• osiris
        • Sep 2008

dont forget greeks borrowed from phoenicians giorikas but they are not phoenicians.
        Last edited by osiris; 11-11-2008, 03:23 AM.

Comment

• Giorikas
          • Sep 2008

Originally posted by osiris View Post
          dont forget greeks borrowed from phoenicians giorikas but they are not phoenicians.
          Right again. Greeks did indeed.

Comment

• Giorikas
            • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Risto the Great View Post
            Thanks Giorikas,
            it appears place names gives you this warm feeling about Alexander spreading Greekness across the globe. Egypt is a good example. The Jews there forgot how to write and speak in their own language. They started to use the Phoenician derived alphabet you call Greek. They spoke Koine and felt no need to retain their native language in the Hellenistic era of Egypt. Do you really want to call modern Egyptians Greek because of this? If no, why then Macedonians or even ancient Macedonians for that matter?

When you went there, did you not see the Roman influence at all? Or is everything Greek to you? I am sure it is easy to say it is. It suits you. But you may well be confusing civilisation with "Greekness", again.

I think we should discuss Koine separately. But my research indicates it is merely a bastardised Attic language with Persian loan words amongst others.

I humbly apologise for this. But you are right, we appear to see mostly Hellenic scripts before Alexander's era. But again, we saw the same thing 300 years before Kiril & Metodi's era, and yet we all know the Slavic races were dominant in the area of Macedonia and beyond for 300 years preceding the holy creation of the Cyrillic script. Does this mean the Slavic speaking Macedonians never existed prior to Kiril & Metodi. You have still failed to deal with this, even though the comparisons are compelling.
            I wish you had more possibilities to spread your message on a wider scale. No better PR for Greece than that.

Comment

• Risto the Great
              • Sep 2008

What on Earth are you on about?

Here:
              we appear to see mostly Hellenic scripts before Alexander's era. But again, we saw the same thing 300 years before Kiril & Metodi's era, and yet we all know the Slavic races were dominant in the area of Macedonia and beyond for 300 years preceding the holy creation of the Cyrillic script. Does this mean the Slavic speaking Macedonians never existed prior to Kiril & Metodi. You have still failed to deal with this, even though the comparisons are compelling.
              Now ... under the above quote from me ... you write ... "you know what Risto, it is indeed true that the Slavic speaking Macedonians are not recorded as having written anything before Kiril & Metodi in their own language. As a consequence, it may well be that the Ancient Macedonians EQUALLY did not record anything in their native language."

Is that hard?

Feel free to write another diatribe about something irrelevant but do take the time to deal with the point I raised ... one day.
              Risto the Great
              MACEDONIA:ANHEDONIA
              "Holding my breath for the revolution."

Hey, I wrote a bestseller. Check it out: www.ren-shen.com

Comment

• Risto the Great
                • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Giorikas View Post
                Right again. Greeks did indeed.
                Well, they were not Greeks.
                We all know this.
                "Hellenic variants" sounds acceptable.
                Risto the Great

Comment

• Giorikas
                  • Sep 2008

Well, they were not Greeks.
                  We all know this.
                  "Hellenic variants" sounds acceptable.
                  I need to be careful with you, so I add the following: Yes, Greeks borrowed. No Phoenicians were not Greek.

Comment

• Risto the Great
                    • Sep 2008

I need to be careful with you, so I add the following: Yes, Greeks borrowed. No Phoenicians were not Greek.
                    No, no.
                    We know the Phoenicians were not Greek.
                    We also know the Hellenic variants in what is now Greece were not Greek. You are trying to use a modern name for ancient races. A common problem with Greeks.
                    Risto the Great

Comment

• Giorikas
                      • Sep 2008

What on Earth are you on about?

Here:

Now ... under the above quote from me ... you write ... "you know what Risto, it is indeed true that the Slavic speaking Macedonians are not recorded as having written anything before Kiril & Metodi in their own language. As a consequence, it may well be that the Ancient Macedonians EQUALLY did not record anything in their native language."

Is that hard?

Feel free to write another diatribe about something irrelevant but do take the time to deal with the point I raised ... one day.
                      You wrote many more things, essential and elementary about Macedonians that you refuse to comment on, even after promising to do so.
                      I think it's time for you to understand that I do not intend to discuss Slavic languages in this context, and I did not promise you do so.

Comment

• Risto the Great
                        • Sep 2008

The context is you said there is no proof that the Ancient Macedonians spoke another language. That if they did, they might have even used the Phoenician derived alphabet. I gave an example how (say 500 years later) in exactly the same region we have proof of the same thing happening with the Slavic speaking Macedonians. Duck and weave but you are not commenting on it because you know how close to the bone it is.

If you feel that I have missed some elementary items, please feel free to remind me. But I will remind you to analyse the preceding paragraph of this text.
                        Risto the Great

Comment

• Giorikas
                          • Sep 2008

The context is you said there is no proof that the Ancient Macedonians spoke another language. That if they did, they might have even used the Phoenician derived alphabet. I gave an example how (say 500 years later) in exactly the same region we have proof of the same thing happening with the Slavic speaking Macedonians. Duck and weave but you are not commenting on it because you know how close to the bone it is.

If you feel that I have missed some elementary items, please feel free to remind me. But I will remind you to analyse the preceding paragraph of this text.
                          I said there is no proof of ancient Macedonians using any other language then Greek. Period. You gave an example and I acknowledged that anything is theoretically possible really. We just don't know. For all I know ancient Macedonians could have spoken Japanese but we have no proof of this, or to be more in line with Ristorian theories, I should probably say that Japanese spoke Macedonian.

Now if people here claim (for example) that the Greek script heavily borrowed from Phoenicians, than that is a fact that I can accept. We have the proof of this. It's in these sorts of lines that I prefer to discuss.

So instead of the theories and possibilities à la Risto, I prefer to discuss things that we know, and of which we have proof. I note that by doing so I run the risk of being accused to be nationalistic, but that's just a cross I have to bear I suppose.
                          Last edited by Giorikas; 11-11-2008, 04:52 AM.

Comment

• Risto the Great
                            • Sep 2008

Now if people here claim (for example) that the Greek script heavily borrowed from Phoenicians, than that is a fact that I can accept. We have the proof of this. It's in these sorts of lines that I prefer to discuss.
                            You do not accept this because people here say it.
                            You accept it because you know it.
                            Risto the Great

Comment

• Giorikas
                              • Sep 2008

You do not accept this because people here say it.
                              You accept it because you know it.
                              That's correct.

Comment

• Metodija
                                • Sep 2008

I said there is no proof of ancient Macedonians using any other language then Greek.
                                And where did you find this so called "proof"? (An answer in line with "all history professors know this for a fact" is not a valid proof. Saying it many times does not make it true, show me a objective reference instead)

Comment

Working...
                                X