Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lavce pelagonski
    • Nov 2009

This is what wiki has on him, why did he except being on the greek team of the century. If he honors his parents sacrifice he should have declined.

Peter Daicos is commonly known as the Macedonian Marvel[1] because of his parents' place of origin who were both immigrants from the village of Vevi,[2] near Florina in Greece.

He was raised in a family background with local Macedonian Language spoken at home and church services attended on Sundays but with the main difference regarding his interest on Footy instead of Soccer, up to playing with the school team whilst at Preston East High School.[3]

Peter debuted with the Collingwood Football Club in 1979. He went on to play 250 games (for 549 goals) with the Magpies until his retirement in 1993, and won a premiership with them in 1990 opening the way by kicking Collingwood's first goal in that match.

In the 1990 season, Daicos scored 97 goals playing mostly from full-forward, a feat made all the more remarkable since he was considerably shorter than many full-forwards of the era. His skills in scoring from impossible angles, as well as the ability in getting rid from defenders made pundits to start naming him as The Magician.

In fact, one of his goals, drawing the 1990 Qualifying Final became the subject of a Toyota Memorable Moments advertisement, first screened in 2005.

In 1999 Daicos was inducted into the Australian Football Hall of Fame and in 2002 he was elected in the AFL Greek Team of the Century[4] reserved for players having full or partial Greek heritage.[5]

Although Peter defines himself as "Macedonian"[6] he accepted this distinction "to honour the sacrifices that his parents made".[7]

In 2005 Peter Daicos became coach at a local club called the Greythorn Falcons and in 2006 he coached them to an 80 point win in the Grand Final.

In 2007/08 he launched SportzStats,[8] a hybrid online/offline sports statistics tracking and diary system for junior players in various sports and as of 2009, he is also a weekly guest tipper on the Score Five Footy[9] tipping game.

In 2010 Daicos resumed commentating duties with the AFL Live radio team. Nowadays, his name is used by journalists as an adjective to describe a difficult goal scored from the boundary in play (a 'Daicos goal').
    Стравот на Атина од овој Македонец одел до таму што го нарекле „Страшниот Чакаларов“ „гркоубиец“ и „крвожеден комитаџија“.

„Ако знам дека тука тече една капка грчка крв, јас сега би ја отсекол целата рака и би ја фрлил в море.“ Васил Чакаларов

Comment

• Stojacanec
      • Dec 2009

I watched after the bounce on Sunday after the weekend games.

They put up a list of players listed as AFL Multicultural players. Peter Daicos's name was there and the background written was Macedonian along side the ventilator.

The greeks try and stick him with many bs hellarse awards but it seems when asked what he is, the message is clear.

Comment

• Phoenix
        • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Stojacanec View Post
        I watched after the bounce on Sunday after the weekend games.

They put up a list of players listed as AFL Multicultural players. Peter Daicos's name was there and the background written was Macedonian along side the ventilator.

The greeks try and stick him with many bs hellarse awards but it seems when asked what he is, the message is clear.
        Is that right Stojacanec, after last years Multicultural Round (2011) they listed Daicos as 'greek'...several of us here (and I'm sure many elsewhere) e-mailed Fox Sport protesting this matter...sounds like they made an effort to correct last years error...

Comment

• EgejskaMakedonia
          • Jan 2010

Anyone happen to see Carlton get smashed on Friday? Ahh good times.

Comment

• Stojacanec
            • Dec 2009

Originally posted by Phoenix View Post
            Is that right Stojacanec, after last years Multicultural Round (2011) they listed Daicos as 'greek'...several of us here (and I'm sure many elsewhere) e-mailed Fox Sport protesting this matter...sounds like they made an effort to correct last years error...
            Looks like they have Phoenix. It was good to see.

Comment

• lavce pelagonski
              • Nov 2009

AFL academy launched in China

THE FIRST Chinese Academy has been launched in Guangzhou.

Located at a Guangzhou Sports University campus in the Guangzhou, Guangdong province, north of Hong Kong, the academy is designed to introduce athletes to Australian football and help identify and develop potential elite players who have the ability to transition into Australia and the AFL.

The two-week pilot program began with 27 athletes aged between 17 and 22 who are from basketball, soccer and rugby backgrounds. The academy program will be conducted annually.

AFL international development manager Tony Woods said the pilot academy program is designed to reflect the AFL's intention in China in a very tangible way.

"We need to find ways to connect our game with the growing Chinese community in Australia," Woods said.

"We are looking at five to ten years ahead. We need to have a long-term approach and we are in for the long haul."

The academy has received an endorsement from the Guangdong Sports Bureau following key meetings with high level Chinese Government officials.

"Having the support of the Chinese Provincial Government will open up opportunities for future Chinese athletes," Woods said.

Former AFL player Darren Flanigan, who is based in Hong Kong, is managing the academy program, which is based on the AIS-AFL Academy. The program is tailored to give athletes an introduction to the game, the rules, skills and the physical requirements to work towards a career in the AFL. The program also includes English lessons and background in Australian culture.

Captain of the Chinese Australian football team that played in the 2011 International Cup, Zhang Hao, is assisting Darren and is poised to become the first full time Chinese AFL Development Officer.

The academy concluded with a two-day AFL Combine designed to set a starting benchmark for the first intake of Chinese academy players. Two players will be selected to attend the NAB AFL Draft Combine in Melbourne in the first week of October.

The Guangzhou Academy launch follows the announcement of the first purpose built AFL oval in Tianjin in October 2011 and a historic AFL exhibition match between the Brisbane Lions and Melbourne in Shanghai in October 2010.

Стравот на Атина од овој Македонец одел до таму што го нарекле „Страшниот Чакаларов“ „гркоубиец“ и „крвожеден комитаџија“.

„Ако знам дека тука тече една капка грчка крв, јас сега би ја отсекол целата рака и би ја фрлил в море.“ Васил Чакаларов

Comment

• Macedonian_Nationalist
                • Jul 2012

I hate Carlton but its pretty funny that they smashed the Bombers

The Bombers always come out flying then turn into a completely different team in the second half of the season.

Would love nothing more than to end their season on Friday night!

Go Tiges!

Originally posted by lavce pelagonski View Post
                The bombers are going to win the flag this year if not they will be in the top four for sure.
                Lmaooooooooooooooo
                Last edited by Macedonian_Nationalist; 08-19-2012, 09:58 PM.

Comment

• lavce pelagonski
                  • Nov 2009

MN it is a shame that the bombers performed bad at the end of the season. Better luck next year.

I bet that Hawthorn and Sydney in the grand final.

Comment

• Macedonian_Nationalist
                    • Jul 2012

Originally posted by lavce pelagonski View Post
                    I bet that Hawthorn and Sydney in the grand final.
                    I hope not lol because Sydney can't play at the Mcg. I'm fine with anyone winning the flag this year as long as its not Collingwood or Hawthorn

Comment

• EgejskaMakedonia
                      • Jan 2010

Originally posted by Macedonian_Nationalist View Post
                      I hope not lol because Sydney can't play at the Mcg. I'm fine with anyone winning the flag this year as long as its not Collingwood or Hawthorn
                      Oh no, not one of these bloody tiger supporters. Still gloating over your win against the mighty hawks?

I'm about worried about hawthorn at the moment. Injuries to key players have struck us at a very bad time. Next weeks game against Sydney will show where our form is at heading into finals. Absolutely crucial game to secure a home final.

I thought Carlton was done and dusted, but unfortunately for the majority of AFL fans they are still a chance to sneak in.

Comment

• Macedonian_Nationalist
                        • Jul 2012

Originally posted by EgejskaMakedonia View Post
                        Oh no, not one of these bloody tiger supporters. Still gloating over your win against the mighty hawks?

I'm about worried about hawthorn at the moment. Injuries to key players have struck us at a very bad time. Next weeks game against Sydney will show where our form is at heading into finals. Absolutely crucial game to secure a home final.

I thought Carlton was done and dusted, but unfortunately for the majority of AFL fans they are still a chance to sneak in.
                        Yeah that was a really good win probably our best this year.

Carlton won't make it lol they will lose to the Saints in the last Round. Thankfully we lost to Fremantle and the Dockers might sneak in instead. I reckon the Hawks have it won. Collingwoods not good enough but anything can happen in the finals.

Comment

• EgejskaMakedonia
                          • Jan 2010

Originally posted by Macedonian_Nationalist View Post
                          Yeah that was a really good win probably our best this year.

Carlton won't make it lol they will lose to the Saints in the last Round. Thankfully we lost to Fremantle and the Dockers might sneak in instead. I reckon the Hawks have it won. Collingwoods not good enough but anything can happen in the finals.
                          There is talk of Cloke making a possible move to Richmond. KB even said with Cloke in the side Richmond would make the top 4 next season. We all know he is an overly confident tigers fan though.

Even still I think Richmond will make the eight next year. You've been knocking on the door for a few years now (that famous 9th position) and the team is only going to improve, as they have this year.

Carlton will more than likely have to beat the saints by 30+ in the final round to sneak in, considering they also win this week. Doubt it'll happen, but you never know. Footy has proven time and time again this year that strange things can happen.

Comment

• United MKD
                            • Jul 2011

Carlton will more than likely have to beat the saints by 30+ in the final round to sneak in, considering they also win this week. Doubt it'll happen, but you never know. Footy has proven time and time again this year that strange things can happen.
                            Calrton have a better % than Freo. If Freo lose to North this weekend and Carlton beat Saints next week they might sneak in (depending on how much Freo smash the Dees).

Comment

• EgejskaMakedonia
                              • Jan 2010

Originally posted by United MKD View Post
                              Calrton have a better % than Freo. If Freo lose to North this weekend and Carlton beat Saints next week they might sneak in (depending on how much Freo smash the Dees).
                              Carlton also plays a day after Freo in the final round, so they will know exactly how much they will have to win by. It'd be a funny scenario is Carlton win their last match but not by the required margin...I wonder if their supporters would sing the club song.

Let's hope Freo win this week and put any speculation to bed.

Comment

• Macedonian_Nationalist
                                • Jul 2012

There is talk of Cloke making a possible move to Richmond. KB even said with Cloke in the side Richmond would make the top 4 next season. We all know he is an overly confident tigers fan though.

Even still I think Richmond will make the eight next year. You've been knocking on the door for a few years now (that famous 9th position) and the team is only going to improve, as they have this year.

We haven't been 9th since 2008 I think we will make it next year. Will be really disappointed if we don't.

Cloke is shit. Not worth the money. We are in a good financial position but I doubt they would give up what he is asking. KB was a champ, played 403 games and kicked 7 goals in the 1980 slaughtering of Collingwood grand final.

Comment

Working...
                                X