X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sarafot
    • Dec 2008

Originally posted by osiris View Post
    i think its because there is a macedonian state now.
    YOu are probebly wright,but that is for Australia and America,i dont think that in Europe it is so,mostly bros from Egej emigrated in Aus and America not so much in Europe,exept Poland,Hungary and Russia,imagine number of Macedonians in Russia is only 1000 persons!?
    Ние македонците не сме ни срби, ни бугари, туку просто Македонци. Ние ги симпатизираме и едните и другите, кој ќе не ослободи, нему ќе му речеме благодарам, но србите и бугарите нека не забораваат дека Македонија е само за Македонците.
    - Борис Сарафов, 2 септември 1902

Comment

• osiris
      • Sep 2008

sarafot i can only speak of australia, i think the experience in the usa and canada may have its one nunances and charcateristics. our braikya from egei and also from the republic the mass migration was to those 3 [/CENTER]nations. my great grandfather went to the usa kako pechalbar a few times one of his sons is buried there, many of my family live in the usa from the pre war migrations, but we were unable to enter the usa as immigrants and ended up and i say thankfully in australia where we had many relatives from both sides of my family.

i think the emergence of the republic has had a very positive effect on the soft grkomani etc, and the majority were and are soft grkomani going along with kinship ties rather than an educated chiice of ethnicity.

whenever we met and in our homes we all spoke macedonian so what did it mean to the grkomani when they said zborame po nashe. was it said lightly almost innocently, i dont think so. given the highly politicised divison of our community along macedonian and greeks lines, how can it be misunderstood what, po nashe meant deep inside the mind of grkomani. you dont say "mine" unless your truly believe it and understand it

Comment

• Spartan
        • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Risto the Great View Post
        why would they want to call themselves Greek when they are laughed at by Greeks
        Thats the part I dont understand either,
        Why endure the heckling??

Comment

• Thorvald
          • Jan 2009

Originally posted by Demos View Post
          Napoleon,

Many cities south of Rome have Greek names like Napoli (Neopolis), Syracuse etc etc due to the heavy colonization of southern Italy by Greeks. There were so many Greeks in southern Italy and Sicily it was called "Magna Graecia". There are about 40,000 Greek speakers in southern Italy to this day.

Greeks and Italians see themselves are ethnic cousins in many ways as we have lived side by side for many centuries. When I was in Italy, everywhere I went people were even more warm, friendly, and hospitable when I would tell them I'm a "Greco".

When the Turks were laying siege to Constantinople in 1453 there were 3,000 Latin (Venetian/Genoese) volunteers defending the city side by side the Greeks, just as there were Greeks fighting side by side Italians in Southern Italy some decades later in southern Italy against Ottoman incursions.

It is common knowledge that there are Greeks of Italian background and even more Italians of Greek background, so not exactly sure what your point is.

Italy is more a geographic discription for people speaking more or less the same language, but a common language doesn't always make the people as a unity.

Have heard about the Padanian secession?

Northern Italians dont reffer themselves as ''Italians'', racially they are related to their northern neighbours,, and economically they are linked with Western and Central-Europe.
          https://germanictribes.proboards.com/
          European preservation

Comment

• Spartan
            • Sep 2008

The same can be said for Sicilians
            Many of them claim to be "Sicilian" not Italian
            I know first hand, I married into the "Famiglia"

Comment

• osiris
              • Sep 2008

you are right spartan indeed there was a sicilian indpendence movement as late as the post ww2. i would argue there is more ancient helenic bloodlines in southern italy than in modern greece.

Comment

• Risto the Great
                • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Spartan View Post
                The same can be said for Sicilians
                Many of them claim to be "Sicilian" not Italian
                I know first hand, I married into the "Famiglia"
                Spartan, have you read The Sicilian by Puzo?
                I read it many years ago and the thing that stuck in my head was the idea that part of the Sicilian tradition was to continue painting the houses in the same colour as your ancestors did. What the proud Sicilians did not know was that the ??? coloured houses were Greeks, the ??? coloured houses were Jews, Arabic etc.

As an aside, there were significant Slavic warriors that settled in Sicily also. Purity ... a myth!
                Risto the Great
                MACEDONIA:ANHEDONIA
                "Holding my breath for the revolution."

Hey, I wrote a bestseller. Check it out: www.ren-shen.com

Comment

• osiris
                  • Sep 2008

rtg davis in his history of europe also mentions that, and he also makes the point that the houses of the different peoples were not in ghettos but intermingled.

Comment

• Spartan
                    • Sep 2008

Originally posted by osiris View Post
                    i would argue there is more ancient helenic bloodlines in southern italy than in modern greece.
                    I would agree with that as well. Although it can not be proven, many Greeks were part of the colonization of Sicily.
                    My father also has a saying " there are more ancient Greek ruins in Sicily than all of Greece.."
                    Originally posted by Risto the Great View Post
                    Spartan, have you read The Sicilian by Puzo?
                    Of couse!!
                    Ive read all of Puzos books, excelent writer imo.
                    As an aside, there were significant Slavic warriors that settled in Sicily also.Purity ... a myth!
                    Aint that the truth

Comment

• osiris
                      • Sep 2008

and later albanians were added to the pot, full of everything from nth africa to normandy from phoenicia to spain. what an amazing place it must be.

spartan do you have blonde people in your family i have friends from mani and they are such a mixture of racial types, from a dark swarthy arabic father to blonde high cheek boned blue eyed beuaty of a daughter.
                      Last edited by osiris; 01-24-2009, 03:34 AM.

Comment

• Spartan
                        • Sep 2008

^^
                        My whole family, and my wifes is dark haired and tanned skin, except my daughter.
                        She is blonde and blue eyed
                        Ill kill that mailman

Comment

• TrueMacedonian
                          • Jan 2009

Instead, she fixed her choice on a young merchant from Chios, named Nicholas Mavrocordato. His father claimed descent from a Greek general in Venetian service, Mavros, whose name was distorted in drama to Othello, the Moor of Venice, whose heiress had married into the Genoese-Chiot family of the Cordati. His mother was also a Genoese Chiot by origin, belonging to the Genoese branch of the Roman family of the Massimi, descended from Fabius Maximus Cunctator. Despite his boasted lineage it was his marriage to Roxandra that made the fortune of the Mavrocordato family; and his descendants for several generations gratefully added the surname of Scarlatos to their own.
                          Steven Runciman's 'The Great Church In Captivity'

It seems that not only was Mavrocordat half a Roumanian but he was also part Italian. I highly doubt his family claims to some "greek general in Venetian service". If anything he may have very well been descended from Venetians. I believe it was Richard Clogg who stated that the Phanariots claims to so-called nobility were all false.
                          Slayer Of The Modern "greek" Myth!!!

Comment

• Liberator of Makedonija
                            • Apr 2014

Considering many of the islands now apart of Greece were under Venetian (later Italian) rule for centuries it's defiantly not surprising
                            I know of two tragic histories in the world- that of Ireland, and that of Macedonia. Both of them have been deprived and tormented.

Comment

Working...
                            X