X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Napoleon
    • Dec 2008

Greece 'Invisable' Italians

I was just watching a TV documentary series called 'Francesco's Mediterranean Voyage.' The shows presenter is a person called Francesco Di Mosto, an Italian from Venice. The premise of the show is about sailing voyage he makes following the old Venetian trade routes from Venice to Istanbul.

Anyway, he makes a stopover at the Greek island of Naxos and a large population of the island turns out to be of Italian (Venetian descent). Therefore I was wondering, how many more islands in the Aegean have Italian populations. The fact is, several of the islands I can think of still bear Italian names such as;

Atalanta
    Kastelorizo
    Lagousa
    Santorini
    Spinalonga
  • Soldier of Macedon
    • Sep 2008

Central Greece - Missolonghi

I wonder how much more Latin placenames in Greece all round there are.
    In the name of the blood and the sun, the dagger and the gun, Christ protect this soldier, a lion and a Macedonian.

Comment

• Demos
      Banned
      • Dec 2008

Napoleon,

Many cities south of Rome have Greek names like Napoli (Neopolis), Syracuse etc etc due to the heavy colonization of southern Italy by Greeks. There were so many Greeks in southern Italy and Sicily it was called "Magna Graecia". There are about 40,000 Greek speakers in southern Italy to this day.

Greeks and Italians see themselves are ethnic cousins in many ways as we have lived side by side for many centuries. When I was in Italy, everywhere I went people were even more warm, friendly, and hospitable when I would tell them I'm a "Greco".

When the Turks were laying siege to Constantinople in 1453 there were 3,000 Latin (Venetian/Genoese) volunteers defending the city side by side the Greeks, just as there were Greeks fighting side by side Italians in Southern Italy some decades later in southern Italy against Ottoman incursions.

It is common knowledge that there are Greeks of Italian background and even more Italians of Greek background, so not exactly sure what your point is.
      Last edited by Demos; 12-28-2008, 03:44 PM.

Comment

• Sarafot
        • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Demos View Post
        Many cities south of Rome have Greek names like Napoli (Neopolis), Syracuse etc etc due to the heavy colonization of southern Italy by Greeks. There were so many Greeks in southern Italy and Sicily it was called "Magna Graecia". There are about 40,000 Greek speakers in southern Italy to this day.
        Yea there is also many Macedonian names in Ellada to,you know,like Athens(Atina=dadys girl)

There is also about 500.000 Macedonians in Nortern Greece to this day,it was called ''Egejska''!
        Ние македонците не сме ни срби, ни бугари, туку просто Македонци. Ние ги симпатизираме и едните и другите, кој ќе не ослободи, нему ќе му речеме благодарам, но србите и бугарите нека не забораваат дека Македонија е само за Македонците.
        - Борис Сарафов, 2 септември 1902

Comment

• Demos
          Banned
          • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Sarafot View Post
          Yea there is also many Macedonian names in Ellada to,you know,like Athens(Atina=dadys girl)

There is also about 500.000 Macedonians in Nortern Greece to this day,it was called ''Egejska''!
          Sarafot,

What is your source when you quote half a million Macedonians in Greece?

Comment

• Sarafot
            • Dec 2008

Sarafot,

What is your source when you quote half a million Macedonians in Greece?
            Leave the number,first see what did you writte,first you are suporting Greek minority,but when it commes to Macedonian case,there is no minority in Greece!
            There is no source of thouse number,it is sopoused,becouse in Greece there is no census data,and there is so much democrasy, and no minority!
            Ние македонците не сме ни срби, ни бугари, туку просто Македонци. Ние ги симпатизираме и едните и другите, кој ќе не ослободи, нему ќе му речеме благодарам, но србите и бугарите нека не забораваат дека Македонија е само за Македонците.

Comment

• Demos
              Banned
              • Dec 2008

Leave the number,first see what did you writte,first you are suporting Greek minority,but when it commes to Macedonian case,there is no minority in Greece!
              There is no source of thouse number,it is sopoused,becouse in Greece there is no census data,and there is so much democrasy, and no minority!
              In another thread I mentioned my uncle who is from a village just north of Edessa in which I state that his father is a Greek Macedonian and his mother a Slavo Macedonian. He speaks both languages fluently, but sees himself as Greek. So I do not doubt that there are Macedonians in Greece. I just would like to know your source for the 500,000 Macedonians in Greece, that's all. How did you come up with half a million people?

Comment

• Sarafot
                • Dec 2008

In another thread I mentioned my uncle who is from a village just north of Edessa in which I state that his father is a Greek Macedonian and his mother a Slavo Macedonian. He speaks both languages fluently, but sees himself as Greek. So I do not doubt that there are Macedonians in Greece. I just would like to know your source for the 500,000 Macedonians in Greece, that's all. How did you come up with half a million people?

That number was asumed in 1950,you can find it in sigle UN article where Macedonian minority is mention!I'll tray to find some for you!

Comment

• Demos
                  Banned
                  • Dec 2008

That number was asumed in 1950,you can find it in sigle UN article where Macedonian minority is mention!I'll tray to find some for you!
                  Okay, thanks. I'll wait for your link.

Comment

• Risto the Great
                    • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Soldier of Macedon View Post
                    Central Greece - Missolonghi
                    My Italian friends used to say "Mezza Lanki" for "between the legs" .... Missolonghi must be a real party town.
                    Risto the Great
                    MACEDONIA:ANHEDONIA
                    "Holding my breath for the revolution."

Hey, I wrote a bestseller. Check it out: www.ren-shen.com

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
                      • Sep 2008

Demos, perhaps you didn't spend the time in first few absent days after signing in this forum to read the rules we have on this site with regard to the terminology used? On this forum, people's national and ethnic self-identification is respected. On this forum, as in the real world, my people and my language are called Macedonian.

In future, should you wish to make a distinction between a Macedonian and a Greek citizen from the Greek-occupied part of Macedonia, you will refer to my people as Macedonians only, I could care less what kind of 'name' you would like to create for the latter, so long as it can be distinguished from Macedonians.

Now, before you begin developing a reply on why you think it is justified to refer to my people with racist acronyms or misleading prefixes, take a moment to step in our shoes and view this new person (you) who has just entered our forum and has disrespected us from the first minute. Can you respect the Macedonians as Macedonians on this forum?

The answer to this question determines whether or not you are capable of displaying common normality and respect for another human being, and hence determines whether or not you will remain here.

I have read some of your other posts, you seem to be here for dialogue, good, I encourage it, just respect our people and our identity.
                      In the name of the blood and the sun, the dagger and the gun, Christ protect this soldier, a lion and a Macedonian.

Comment

• Demos
                        Banned
                        • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Soldier of Macedon View Post
                        Demos, perhaps you didn't spend the time in first few absent days after signing in this forum to read the rules we have on this site with regard to the terminology used? On this forum, people's national and ethnic self-identification is respected. On this forum, as in the real world, my people and my language are called Macedonian.

In future, should you wish to make a distinction between a Macedonian and a Greek citizen from the Greek-occupied part of Macedonia, you will refer to my people as Macedonians only, I could care less what kind of 'name' you would like to create for the latter, so long as it can be distinguished from Macedonians.

Now, before you begin developing a reply on why you think it is justified to refer to my people with racist acronyms or misleading prefixes, take a moment to step in our shoes and view this new person (you) who has just entered our forum and has disrespected us from the first minute. Can you respect the Macedonians as Macedonians on this forum?

The answer to this question determines whether or not you are capable of displaying common normality and respect for another human being, and hence determines whether or not you will remain here.

I have read some of your other posts, you seem to be here for dialogue, good, I encourage it, just respect our people and our identity.
                        @Soldier,

I already read your guidelines days ago. There is a little problem though in your logic.

How are we to distinguish between two people from the same geographical region who ethnically are of different backgrounds and speak different languages?

Secondly, I think if you would like to ask for respect have the courtesy of extending the same respect towards me with regard to the use of the term "Greek occupied Macedonia". What exactly does that mean? Do you refer to Canada as Franco-Anglo occupied North America? Are you making territorial claims against another country? Not sure what your point is.

Comment

• Daskalot
                          • Sep 2008

@Soldier,

I already read your guidelines days ago. There is a little problem though in your logic.

How are we to distinguish between two people from the same geographical region who ethnically are of different backgrounds and speak different languages?

Secondly, I think if you would like to ask for respect have the courtesy of extending the same respect towards me with regard to the use of the term "Greek occupied Macedonia". What exactly does that mean? Do you refer to Canada as Franco-Anglo occupied North America? Are you making territorial claims against another country? Not sure what your point is.
                          easy, Greek and Macedonian this is what he is half Greek and half Macedonian adher or get lost vre mikra skata.
                          Macedonian Truth Organisation

Comment

• Demos
                            Banned
                            • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Daskalot View Post
                            easy, Greek and Macedonian this is what he is half Greek and half Macedonian adher or get lost vre mikra skata.
                            That's fine. So, personal question to you; when you refer to "Greek occupied Macedonia" are you inferring territorial claims?

Comment

• Daskalot
                              • Sep 2008

That's fine. So, personal question to you; when you refer to "Greek occupied Macedonia" are you inferring territorial claims?
                              no, I am stating a fact of what the Greek army did in 1912-1913.
                              They took land which was not theirs to begin with, simple is it not?
                              Macedonian Truth Organisation

Comment

Working...
                              X