Just How 'Greek' Was The Byzantine Empire???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TerraNova
    Banned
    • Nov 2008

Originally posted by TrueMacedonian View Post
    And Tsakalov is a real "greek" name too
    ALEXANDROS,
    PHILIPPOS,
    OLYMPIAS,
    ANTIGONOS
    DEMETRIOS,
    ANTIPATROS
    NIKANOR
    PEUKESTAS
    PHILOTAS

are Greek names....or not?

Comment

• TrueMacedonian
      • Jan 2009

Originally posted by TerraNova View Post
      ALEXANDROS,
      PHILIPPOS,
      OLYMPIAS,
      ANTIGONOS
      DEMETRIOS,
      ANTIPATROS
      NIKANOR
      PEUKESTAS
      PHILOTAS

are Greek names....or not?

Imported from the west into your society for the last 150 years. Yawn,,,are you really going to go the ancient Hellenic route now? Do you honestly believe you have some type of relation with the ancients Terrable?
      Slayer Of The Modern "greek" Myth!!!

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
        • Sep 2008

Yes...also Yiannis is not a Greek name...and Ilinden is a Jewish revolution (the etymology of Ilia is Elijah...jewish...)

Let's be serious.
        I am serious, Dionysius is NOT A GREEK WORD AND HAS NO MEANING IN GREEK.

The fact that some Thracians drunk on wine decided to tell the ancient Greeks about this Thracian god has nothing to do with you. Let's be serious, Dionysius is as 'Greek' as Ahmeti is 'Albanian'.

Elijah is a Hebrew name, most names in the Bible come from prior Semitic or Greek use, Christians all over the world use them, go to Africa and claim all of the George's there, in accordance with your way of thinking these people are also your 'Greek' brothers, ade, fige re.
        In the name of the blood and the sun, the dagger and the gun, Christ protect this soldier, a lion and a Macedonian.

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
          • Sep 2008

ALEXANDROS,
          PHILIPPOS,
          OLYMPIAS,
          ANTIGONOS
          DEMETRIOS,
          ANTIPATROS
          NIKANOR
          PEUKESTAS
          PHILOTAS
          They are as 'Greek' as the following US Presidents called GEORGIOS Bush, ANDREOS Jackson, THEODOROS Roosevelt and CHARALAMBOS Truman.

How about DARIUS, is he Greek too? How can we be certain that the same process did not take place with the Macedonians, whereby their names were Hellenized by writers and used in such a manner when in the context of the Greek language?

TerraNova, tell me how many Phillip's and Alexander's there were in the 'Greek' world before the Macedonians? I am interested to know.
          In the name of the blood and the sun, the dagger and the gun, Christ protect this soldier, a lion and a Macedonian.

Comment

• Risto the Great
            • Sep 2008

The renegade dog Macedonian priest called Jovan was referred to as Ioannis in the Greek newspapers only a couple of years ago. It appears we have found a Greek tradition after all.
            Risto the Great
            MACEDONIA:ANHEDONIA
            "Holding my breath for the revolution."

Hey, I wrote a bestseller. Check it out: www.ren-shen.com

Comment

• TerraNova
              Banned
              • Nov 2008

Originally posted by Soldier of Macedon View Post
              I am serious, Dionysius is NOT A GREEK WORD AND HAS NO MEANING IN GREEK.

The fact that some Thracians drunk on wine decided to tell the ancient Greeks about this Thracian god has nothing to do with you. Let's be serious, Dionysius is as 'Greek' as Ahmeti is 'Albanian'.

I m really surprised of your inability to understand...

Ok...we have the name "Yohannan".
              It's Jewish.It's equivalents are:

English-John
              Greek-Ioannis/Yiannis
              Macedonian-Jovan

If you read that in Kumanovo region..there was in 1900 someone called Jovan...will you call him Jew..?

So...Dionysios is a Greek form of the name...and he was a monk from Kastoria,who founded a monastery in Athos,which took his name.
              DIONYSIOU.
              This monastery was not Thracian..(!!)as a chapel of Profet Elias is not Jewish...

is that ok ?

Comment

• TerraNova
                Banned
                • Nov 2008

TerraNova, tell me how many Phillip's and Alexander's there were in the 'Greek' world before the Macedonians? I am interested to know.
                Read Iliad and you ll find one Alexander.

It was written around 800 BC,before the establishment of the kingdom of Macedon

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
                  • Sep 2008

Originally posted by TerraNova View Post
                  So...Dionysios is a Greek form of the name...and he was a monk from Kastoria,who founded a monastery in Athos,which took his name.
                  DIONYSIOU.
                  This monastery was not Thracian..(!!)as a chapel of Profet Elias is not Jewish...

is that ok ?
                  Only in your small deluded world. The monastery does not have to be Thracian, THE NAME DIONYSIUS IS THRACIAN BY ORIGIN. Case closed.
                  Originally posted by TerraNova
                  Originally posted by Soldier of Macedon
                  Read Iliad and you ll find one Alexander.

It was written around 800 BC,before the establishment of the kingdom of Macedon
                  The Alexander of the Iliad is more commonly known as Paris. Could you tell me which name was recorded in the original?

What does Cassandar mean?

Nothing for Phillip? The city known in Greek as Phillipopolis was called Pulpudeva in the local Thracian language, the 'deva' was a common Thracian suffix, quite similar to Slavic 'eva' and 'ova', leaving 'Pulpu' which would represent 'Phillip'. This is what his name would have sounded like in the Macedonian language prior to the adaptation of convenience whereby his name converted in Greek would fancifully represent a 'lover of horses'.

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
                    • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Risto the Great View Post
                    The renegade dog Macedonian priest called Jovan was referred to as Ioannis in the Greek newspapers only a couple of years ago. It appears we have found a Greek tradition after all.
                    Indeed Ristos Megalos, Kalos-Den Od brato Stratego Apo MAKEDONIAS!!!

Comment

• TerraNova
                      Banned
                      • Nov 2008

Only in your small deluded world. The monastery does not have to be Thracian, THE NAME DIONYSIUS IS THRACIAN BY ORIGIN. Case closed.
                      The case...was a futle try to prove that DIONYSIOU MONASTERY in Athos..had originally a non-Greek,slavic name..like Sveta Petka or Baba Vanga.
                      So it failed miserably.

The Alexander of the Iliad is more commonly known as Paris. Could you tell me which name was recorded in the original?
                      Alexandros
                      What does Cassandar mean?
                      You mean Kassandros,the male form of Kassandra?Cassandra is in Iliad too..

Nothing for Phillip? The city known in Greek as Phillipopolis was called Pulpudeva in the local Thracian language, the 'deva' was a common Thracian suffix, quite similar to Slavic 'eva' and 'ova', leaving 'Pulpu' which would represent 'Phillip'. This is what his name would have sounded like in the Macedonian language prior to the adaptation of convenience whereby his name converted in Greek would fancifully represent a 'lover of horses'.
                      So....rest of the world believes that Philippos is a Greek name.
                      Phil(os)+Ippos

It's like that in every inscription ,coin ,text found.
                      It's like that in every reference about the name.

You on the other hand believe ..the father of Alexander was called Pulpu.
                      Ok.....rename a highway "Pulpu" road...

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
                        • Sep 2008

Originally posted by TerraNova
                        The case...was a futle try to prove that DIONYSIOU MONASTERY in Athos..had originally a non-Greek,slavic name..like Sveta Petka or Baba Vanga.
                        So it failed miserably.
                        It is not my case, don't confuse your arguments, I merely pointed out that Dionysius is a Thracian name by origin. The monastery doesn't concern me. Deal with it.
                        Alexandros
                        Source? Or is that too much to ask?
                        You mean Kassandros,the male form of Kassandra?Cassandra is in Iliad too
                        Enlighten me. That is why I asked, what does it mean?
                        So....rest of the world believes that Philippos is a Greek name.
                        Phil(os)+Ippos

It's like that in every inscription ,coin ,text found.
                        It's like that in every reference about the name.

You on the other hand believe ..the father of Alexander was called Pulpu.
                        Ok.....rename a highway "Pulpu" road...
                        The rest of the world uses the Greek adaptation as it was recorded in Greek letters, not because that is the native name. The fact is, you cannot explain why such a name did not exist previous to the Macedonians, as you cannot explain why there is a Thracian name which is similar to it. Given that there is a precedent of ancient Greek writers making adaptations of native barbaric names to suit the Greek tongue, it is highly probable that the same occured with some Macedonian names. Go love some more horses

Comment

• makedonin
                          • Sep 2008

Given that there is a precedent of ancient Greek writers making adaptations of native barbaric names to suit the Greek tongue,
                          Thats the point. Same adaption found place in the Persian Names of their rulers. See for example: http://www.avesta.org/znames.htm#op

Xshayârshan (Gk Xerxes).
                          Persian King.

Dârayavahu (Gk. Darius).
                          (I, son of Hystaspen, king 522-486 B.C.; II, son of Artaxerxes I, king 426-04 B.C.)
                          Some of the Greek adoptions are even far from being close to the original, for example:

Bagabuxsha (Gk. Megabyzus).
                          An ally of Darius.

Bardiya (Gk. Smerdis).
                          Brother of Cambyses

All those names are not trustworthy, cause they hardly reflect the real Names of their owners.
                          Last edited by makedonin; 01-14-2009, 06:41 AM.
                          To enquire after the impression behind an idea is the way to remove disputes concerning nature and reality.

Comment

• TerraNova
                            Banned
                            • Nov 2008

Originally posted by makedonin View Post
                            Thats the point. Same adaption found place in the Persian Names of their rulers. See for example: http://www.avesta.org/znames.htm#op

Some of the Greek adoptions are even far from being close to the original, for example:

All those names are not trustworthy, cause they hardly reflect the real Names of their owners.
                            Makedonin...you are right about the adaption.

But there is one HUGE difference.

ALL the names you gave when adapted in Greek "form" so as to be easier pronounced, DO NOT have an Etymology.
                            They DONT MEAN ANYTHING.

For example "Xerxes" is the transformed form by the Greeks of the original Persian name.
                            But still "Xerxes" does NOT mean anything in Greek.There is not even a root "xerx-"...
                            The same goes for Darius.
                            And for all the names above.

On the other hand,
                            Alexandros, Philippos, and dozens of other Macedonian names
                            (Antigonos,Antipatros,Hefestion,Pausanias,Philotas ...etc etc etc)
                            have a clear etymology.

They have a meaning in Greek ,and many of them were used by other Greeks too.

Comment

• Ottoman
                              Banned
                              • Nov 2010

Was Saint Nicholas Greek?

Comment

• vojnik
                                • Apr 2011

Originally posted by Ottoman View Post
                                Was Saint Nicholas Greek?
                                Ahh a rheotorical question of course he was GREEK everything in the world is if it wasn't for Greece we would probably be all dead today thank God for Greece's existance otherwise we would not be on this forum

Comment

Working...
                                X