X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Phoenix
    • Dec 2008

Wanted: Guitar Heroes

I'd like to learn to play the guitar, I have a good friend who I can learn a few things from but my question relates to buying a guitar that will suit a beginner...

I'm of the view that you get what you pay for, so I'm not interested in getting anything that's dirt cheap (as new)...

I'm only intersted in acoustic but I'm leaning toward acoustic/electric mainly because of the ability to use applications like Apples 'Garageband' to record and add other tracks.

Does anyone recommend a particular brand, body shape, type of strings or other considerations for a beginner...?

I only want to nail 2 songs for now, Joy Division's, 'Love Will Tear Us Apart' and 'Ceremony'...I've got a handle on the keyboards to 'Love Will Tear Us Apart', I just need to learn the guitar parts

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
  • Vangelovski
    • Sep 2008

Forget the guitar, get a gajda and some zurli.
    If my people who are called by my name will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, I will hear from heaven and will forgive their sins and restore their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14

The Revolution was in the minds and hearts of the people; a change in their religious sentiments, of their duties and obligations...This radical change in the principles, opinions, sentiments, and affections of the people was the real American Revolution. John Adams

Comment

• Phoenix
      • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Vangelovski View Post
      Forget the guitar, get a gajda and some zurli.
      The gajda works a treat on 'Love Will Tear Us Apart'...

...not sold on the vocals though...but interesting interpretation of the song that every band in the world wished they wrote...

Comment

• Risto the Great
        • Sep 2008

Buying a crap guitar will only discourage you Phoenix.
        Not sure what you mean by an acoustic/electric .. some people call the semi-acoustics that. But I think you mean an acoustic guitar that can be amplified.

I would go straight for an electric guitar. It is easier on the hands and will give you infinite joy as you caress it in lieu of other things. I am a stratocaster man (have about 7 of them) and they can pull most tones you have ever heard on the radio. With some effects they can even sound like acoustic guitars so you won't lose anything if you want to record stuff.

String gauge for your paws would be fine at 10 - 46.

If you want a new stratocaster for half of what they sell in Australia, PM me.

If you get a crap cheapie, it will not retain any value and will be a pain to play and keep in tune. I would pay more for something of enduring value.
        Risto the Great
        MACEDONIA:ANHEDONIA
        "Holding my breath for the revolution."

Hey, I wrote a bestseller. Check it out: www.ren-shen.com

Comment

• Phoenix
          • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Risto the Great View Post
          Buying a crap guitar will only discourage you Phoenix..
          ...that's what I've heard from others

Not sure what you mean by an acoustic/electric .. some people call the semi-acoustics that. But I think you mean an acoustic guitar that can be amplified...
          yes

I would go straight for an electric guitar. It is easier on the hands and will give you infinite joy as you caress it in lieu of other things. I am a stratocaster man (have about 7 of them) and they can pull most tones you have ever heard on the radio. With some effects they can even sound like acoustic guitars so you won't lose anything if you want to record stuff...
          I think I'd prefer an acoustic, there's a real aesthetic quality that I like about them (obviously the better ones $$$)

String gauge for your paws would be fine at 10 - 46.

If you want a new stratocaster for half of what they sell in Australia, PM me.

If you get a crap cheapie, it will not retain any value and will be a pain to play and keep in tune. I would pay more for something of enduring value.
          I agree, it needs to be of a good quality and it should be beautiful enough to proudly sit in the corner of the room when not in use.

Thanks.

Comment

• Stojacanec
            • Dec 2009

...aaaah forget all of them just get yourself a drum kit!

Comment

• Risto the Great
              • Sep 2008

Q: How do you tell if the stage is level?
              A: The drummer dribbles from both sides of his mouth
              Risto the Great

Comment

• Risto the Great
                • Sep 2008

Acoustics:

Get a Maton to support our lovely Australia.
                Alternatively spend a little more and get a Martin or Taylor. I can help you if you are after a Martin or Taylor.
                Risto the Great

Comment

• Phoenix
                  • Dec 2008

Acoustics:

Get a Maton to support our lovely Australia.
                  Alternatively spend a little more and get a Martin or Taylor. I can help you if you are after a Martin or Taylor.
                  thanks mate

btw are you self taught, lessons or both...?

Comment

• Risto the Great
                    • Sep 2008

Self taught.
                    But I had the good fortune to play out with some brilliant (trained) musicians for quite a while. I learned fast in order to keep up with them!

Cole Clark are also an Australian guitar company and make some fine acoustics.

I have a Martin that I would never sell.
                    Risto the Great

Comment

• Phoenix
                      • Dec 2008

Self taught.
                      But I had the good fortune to play out with some brilliant (trained) musicians for quite a while. I learned fast in order to keep up with them!

Cole Clark are also an Australian guitar company and make some fine acoustics.

I have a Martin that I would never sell.
                      I love the fact that so many guitarists (especially the guys that I know) are largely self taught

RtG, what do you think is a reasonable starting point $ for a 'good' guitar...

Comment

• Origin
                        • Jun 2009

Hi Pheonix, im in the market for a new acoustic myself, and have honed in on the higher end Maton's. Australian made using local woods, and definately hold their own compared side by side with much more expensive Martin's or Taylor's (though id kill for a high end Martin)

You definately dont want anything dirt cheap, it wont inspire you to pick it up all the time, and won't hold any real value if you want to sell or trade it later on. My advice is to play alot of these guitars instore (or wherever) and find one that 'feels right' physically and aurally. Also, remember to check for defects - buzzes, knocks/dings, warped neck etc etc

hope that helps mate
                        "You are entitled to your own opinions, but you're not entitled to your own facts"

Comment

• Phoenix
                          • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Origin View Post
                          Hi Pheonix, im in the market for a new acoustic myself, and have honed in on the higher end Maton's. Australian made using local woods, and definately hold their own compared side by side with much more expensive Martin's or Taylor's (though id kill for a high end Martin)

You definately dont want anything dirt cheap, it wont inspire you to pick it up all the time, and won't hold any real value if you want to sell or trade it later on. My advice is to play alot of these guitars instore (or wherever) and find one that 'feels right' physically and aurally. Also, remember to check for defects - buzzes, knocks/dings, warped neck etc etc

hope that helps mate
                          Hi Origin, thanks for the advice...I tend to agree with avoiding the crappy, dirt cheap models and brands advice...I guess my dilema is at what price level do I go to enter the 'better' guitar range...?

You don't seem to get too much change out of a grand for much of the Maton range, which is looking a bit steep for a beginner I think...

Comment

• Risto the Great
                            • Sep 2008

Nothing wrong with second hand gear btw.
                            But the key is to have a solid top on an acoustic guitar.
                            Whatever that price point works out to will make the difference.
                            I think around $750 at that point.
                            Please talk to me before you do it .. you have my number.

I love the fact that so many guitarists (especially the guys that I know) are largely self taught
                            The musicians I played with used to freak out about how unorthodox my playing style was. It was nothing like they were used to and totally related to being self taught. I was the "stunt guitarist" for the band and we used to start off the night playing jazz ... then disco ... then hendrix and zeppelin by the end of the night ... great times!
                            Risto the Great

Comment

• Risto the Great
                              • Sep 2008

Origin's dad sent me on this evil path of music appreciation.
                              ;-)
                              Risto the Great

Comment

Working...
                              X