• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TrueMacedonian
    • Jan 2009

Macedonian police seize large quantity of ill-gotten antiquities

Macedonian police seize large quantity of ill-gotten antiquities

TIRANA, June 25 (Xinhua) -- Macedonian police said on Friday that they have seized thousands of valuable artifacts in a nationwide crackdown on illegal antiquities trade, the largest ever in the country's history, news from Skopje said.

"The seized amount of the artifacts is far the largest in Macedonia, and it is the result of the police operation which has been going on for almost a year," Macedonian Interior Minister Gordana Jankulovska said.

In their operation in eight cities across the country early Thursday, police raided 60 homes and seized about 4000 artifacts and detained 48 people over suspicion of illegal antiquities trade.

The netted objects include 3000 coins, 20 figurines of different materials and sizes, 160 pieces of jewelry and 300 dishes of metal, stone and ceramic, with some dating back to as early as 8th century BC.

Jankulovska said criminal charges were filed against 29 of the 48 people, some of them local officials and archeologists. They are suspected of illegally excavating at archeological sites and planning selling the ill-gotten artifacts to Greece, Italy and Austria.

Macedonia is rich in history. It was reported that the western Balkan country has some 6000 registered archaeological sites on its territory.
    Slayer Of The Modern "greek" Myth!!!
  • Risto the Great
    • Sep 2008

I saw another news release of the same event where it said local politicians were implicated. This is getting ridiculous. This is our heritage being prostituted throughout the world.
    Risto the Great
    MACEDONIA:ANHEDONIA
    "Holding my breath for the revolution."

Hey, I wrote a bestseller. Check it out: www.ren-shen.com

Comment

• fyrOM
      Banned
      • Feb 2010

Ah RTG if everyone thought like you maybe Macedonia would be a different place. Fortunately the current government is into preserving our past and catching crooks and corrupt officials. One of Macedonia’s curses has been the huge amount of traitors but there’s still hope.

Comment

• Bratot
        • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Risto the Great View Post
        I saw another news release of the same event where it said local politicians were implicated. This is getting ridiculous. This is our heritage being prostituted throughout the world.
        Yes, that's true Risto.

Also many foreign diplomats were and still are implicated in illegal collection of such antiquities.
        I remember the former US ambasador left the country with huge amount of coins and other valuable artifacts that he bought on the black market in Macedonia.
        The purpose of the media is not to make you to think that the name must be changed, but to get you into debate - what name would suit us! - Bratot

Comment

• Bratot
          • Sep 2008

Ни Интерпол не може да ни го најде украденото наследство

На интернет-страницата се претставени 400 артефакти по кои трага најголемата полициска организација, а нема ниту збор за богатството украдено и изнесено од Македонија

The purpose of the media is not to make you to think that the name must be changed, but to get you into debate - what name would suit us! - Bratot

Comment

Working...
          X