Macedonian Truth Forum

Macedonian Truth Forum (http://www.macedoniantruth.org/forum/index.php)
-   Exposing Lies and Propaganda (http://www.macedoniantruth.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   The Real Ethnic Composition of Modern Greece (http://www.macedoniantruth.org/forum/showthread.php?t=17)

George S. 03-18-2012 01:13 AM

it's all greek to them.

Voltron 03-18-2012 03:28 PM

As usual, wrong again.

Greeks have been in the black sea area long before the Tatars or Vlachs came to be known.

[url]http://thesis.haverford.edu/dspace/bitstream/handle/10066/5709/Pohl_22_2.pdf?sequence=1[/url]

Carlin, Your source mentions of Slav Speakers when referenced with groups such as Vlachs, Albanians, Turks, ect. You in agreement with that ? G. Nakratzas is the only person you people always bring up. That and that one lady. I might as well keep using McDermitt for my source and keep repeating like a broken record.

I would like to remind people of the title of the thread. This is about Ethnicity, from the word Ethnos. Look up the meaning in a dictionary to avoid further embarassment.

Onur 03-18-2012 08:12 PM

[QUOTE=Voltron;123257]As usual, wrong again.

Greeks have been in the black sea area long before the Tatars or Vlachs came to be known.

[url]http://thesis.haverford.edu/dspace/bitstream/handle/10066/5709/Pohl_22_2.pdf?sequence=1[/url][/QUOTE]
NO, It is YOU who are wrong.

We were talking about Crimea, Caucasus and the people at the northside of the Blacksea and neither eastern nor western Romans never had any control in there. It was Scythian, Huns, Avars, Gokturk, Khazar, Kievian Rus, Mongol, Timur, Tatar/Cuman, Ottoman, Russian and finally Ukraine. All of these states was strictly hostile to the eastern Romans, including early Russians and it`s not possible that your Greeks lived in there.

Istanbul patriarchy aka the hand of the Greeks was only able to reach there after it became part of the Ottoman empire in late 15th century. So, it was the same story again;
The Greek patriarch blesses Ottoman soldiers, they go and conquer places and the christian people in that place enters to the patriarch`s domain.

Soldier of Macedon 03-18-2012 10:37 PM

[QUOTE="Voltron"]G. Nakratzas is the only person you people always bring up. That and that one lady.[/QUOTE]
If that is what you really think then clearly you haven't been paying attention to the multitude of sources on this forum.

Carlin 03-19-2012 06:50 PM

[QUOTE=Voltron;123257]As usual, wrong again.

[url]http://thesis.haverford.edu/dspace/bitstream/handle/10066/5709/Pohl_22_2.pdf?sequence=1[/url]

Carlin, Your source mentions of Slav Speakers when referenced with groups such as Vlachs, Albanians, Turks, ect. You in agreement with that ? G. Nakratzas is the only person you people always bring up. That and that one lady. I might as well keep using McDermitt for my source and keep repeating like a broken record.

I would like to remind people of the title of the thread. This is about Ethnicity, from the word Ethnos. Look up the meaning in a dictionary to avoid further embarassment.[/QUOTE]

Voltron, feel free to comment on the following 'non-Nakratzas' sources.

1. "Political Science Quarterly" edited by the Faculty of Political Science Columbia University, Twenty-Third volume, [B]published in 1908[/B]; page 307:

"...THEY (i.e. modern Greeks) THEMSELVES KNEW THE DIFFERENCES IN THEIR ORIGINS AND IN SUCH TRADITIONS AS THEY HAD; SOME WERE SLAVS, SOME VLACHS AND SOME ALBANIANS...".

Even as late as 1908 some authorities still knew and clearly stated that modern Greeks are a mixture of various ethnic communities: Slavs, Vlachs, Albanians, etc.

2. "Travels in Greece and Russia", by Bayard Taylor, [B]published in 1872[/B]:

Preface - "Owing to the pressure of other literary labors, this volume has been too rapidly prepared for the press, to allow me to add a special chapter on the Ethnology of Greece, as I had originally designed. I can only record my complete conviction of the truth of the views entertained by Fallmerayer, that the modern Greeks are a mongrel race, in which the Slavic element is predominant, and that the pure Hellenic blood is to be found only in a few localities."

Page 261 - "...not one-fifth of the present population can with justice be called Greeks. The remainder are Slavonians, Albanians and Turks, with a slight admixture of Venetian blood."

Page 262 - "Only in Maina, on the slopes of Parnassus and in parts of Doris, did I find the ancient type in any considerable amount."

3. James Knowles, monthly review "The Nineteenth Century and After" volume LXXXVI, July-December [B]1919[/B], page 645:

"But who are the Greeks? At least five-sixths of them, if not more, are Christian Albanians of the Orthodox faith..."

George S. 03-19-2012 11:33 PM

Voltron what is your response if i say to you the greeks were colonisers.What does that mean that they were not native to the land they came at some point.That means a lot in that they were not indigenous to the land.
Also for your information greece is also colonised by greeks that means that they are NOT native to the land,when they got there there were mycenians there & other people like macedonians who were not related to the greeks.Does it sound familiar to you??

Daskalot 03-20-2012 05:08 AM

[QUOTE=Voltron;123257]I would like to remind people of the
title of the thread. This is about Ethnicity, from the word Ethnos. Look up the meaning in a dictionary to avoid further embarassment.[/QUOTE]

So you are pulling that old trick on us, ok lets play.

Could you give us a translation into English of the modern Greek word "Ethnos" and the meaning and uses in the modern Greek language today?

Could you also give us the meaning of the English word "Ethnicity" and its uses in the English language today?

Voltron this must be a piece of cake for you seeing that you are fluent in both languages.

Voltron 03-20-2012 06:30 AM

I dont see the difference Daskalot ? Dont know what your implying.

As for Carlin, A mix of three equal parts to create a result is what your saying.
What I have been saying is that if you have a base and add something to it does not mean the base is gone. Its simply absorbed.

Risto the Great 03-20-2012 06:45 AM

[QUOTE=Voltron;123372]What I have been saying is that if you have a base and add something to it does not mean the base is gone. Its simply absorbed.[/QUOTE]
So what would you call the christian Turkish nationals that came to Macedonia in the 1920's? I certainly wouldn't call them the "base".

Voltron 03-20-2012 06:57 AM

Again thats not saying that Greeks werent in Macedonia prior to the refugees. The Macedonian issue again is a different story in itself.

What I call the Greeks that came from Turkey to Macedonia could be defined as replenshing an area that was changed for some time. I know its not exactly an accepted idea around these parts but just being honest.