Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DedoAleko
    • Jun 2009

The EU is not a “Person”: Granting the Nobel Prize to the European Union is in Violation of Alfred Nobel’s Will

This year’s Nobel Peace Prize was granted to the European Union (EU) for its relentless contribution to “the advancement of peace and reconciliation, democracy and human rights in Europe.”

While the EU’s contribution to peace is debatable, the key issue is whether a union of nation states, which constitutes a political, economic, monetary and fiscal entity is an “eligible candidate” for the Peace Prize, in accordance with the mandate of the Norwegian Committee.

The Olympic Games are “granted” to countries. But the Nobel Peace Prize cannot under any stretch of the imagination be granted to a nation-state, let alone a union of nation states.

The Norwegian Nobel Committee has a responsibility to ascertain “the eligibility of candidates” in accordance with the Will of Alfred Bernhard Nobel (Paris, 27 November, 1895).

“The whole of my remaining realizable estate shall be dealt with in the following way: the capital, invested in safe securities by my executors, shall constitute a fund, the interest on which shall be annually distributed in the form of prizes to those who, during the preceding year, shall have conferred the greatest benefit to mankind….

The said interest shall be divided into five equal parts, which shall be apportioned as follows: one part to the person who shall have made the most important discovery or invention within the field of physics; one part to the person who shall have made the most important chemical discovery or improvement; one part to the person who shall have made the most important discovery within the domain of physiology or medicine; one part to the person who shall have produced in the field of literature the most outstanding work in an ideal direction; and one part to the person who shall have done the most or the best work for fraternity between nations, for the abolition or reduction of standing armies and for the holding and promotion of peace congresses. …

[F]or champions of peace [the prize will be awarded] by a committee of five persons to be elected by the Norwegian Storting. It is my express wish that in awarding the prizes no consideration whatever shall be given to the nationality of the candidates, but that the most worthy shall receive the prize, whether he be a Scandinavian or not.

Will of Alfred Bernhard Nobel, November 27, 1895, emphasis added

The conditions set out in Alfred Nobel’s Will have been twisted upside down.

Nobel’s Will is crystal clear. The five prizes are to be granted to “persons”. (See complete list of laureates)

Since its inception, however, several of the prizes have been granted to both “persons” and organizations/institutions to which they are affiliated as in the case of Henry Dunand (Red Cross) or Mohamed ElBaradei, UN International Atomic Energy Organization (IAEA). In other cases, the prize was granted as to “organizations” consisting of a collective of persons (e.g. UN Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change).

The granting of the Nobel Prize to the European Union, which is a political entity, a union of nation states, is visibly in blatant violation of Alfred Nobel’s Will. Under the Lisbon Treaty, the European Union acquired the status of a “legal person”. But a “legal person” is not a “person” as expressed in Alfred Nobel’s Will.

Theater of the Absurd

The European Union cannot under any stretch of the imagination be categorized as a “person”, “a group of persons” or even an “organization”. Moreover, implied in Nobel’s Will is that the candidates must be citizens without regard to nationality:

“It is my express wish that in awarding the prizes no consideration whatever shall be given to the nationality of the candidates, but that the most worthy shall receive the prize, whether he be a Scandinavian or not.(Alfred Nobel’s Will, Paris, 1895)

The European Union is a union of nation states composed of citizens.

The EU cannot be a citizen of itself, nor does the EU have a nationality.

Citizens of the EU are “eligible candidates” but the EU cannot be “an eligible candidate”.

Moreover, it stands to reason that “eligible candidates” for the Peace prize who are “persons” cannot reasonably be evaluated, compared or ranked by the Norwegian selection committee in relation to the European Union, which is a “non-person”, namely a union of countries.

This an important consideration: How does the candidacy of the EU “compare” to “other” distinguished 2012 nominees who are actual “persons”? “Oranges versus apples?

According to the procedure, a short list of nominees “is reviewed by permanent advisers and advisers specially recruited for their knowledge of specific candidates.” And based on this review, the Peace Laureate is chosen, through a majority vote of the five persons Norwegian Committee.

The prize consists of “a medal, a personal diploma, and a cash award.” Theater of the absurd: A “personal diploma” to the European Union and “a cash award”, for what, to whom? To finance the EU’s budget deficit, its bank bailout schemes?

The decision of the Norwegian Nobel Committee is diabolical and illegal, in blatant violation of its mandate.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ____________________________________
    Full text of Alfred Nobel’s Will

I, the undersigned, Alfred Bernhard Nobel, do hereby, after mature deliberation, declare the following to be my last Will and Testament with respect to such property as may be left by me at the time of my death:

To my nephews, Hjalmar and Ludvig Nobel, the sons of my brother Robert Nobel, I bequeath the sum of Two Hundred Thousand Crowns each;

To my nephew Emanuel Nobel, the sum of Three Hundred Thousand, and to my niece Mina Nobel, One Hundred Thousand Crowns;

To my brother Robert Nobel’s daughters, Ingeborg and Tyra, the sum of One Hundred Thousand Crowns each;

Miss Olga Boettger, at present staying with Mrs Brand, 10 Rue St Florentin, Paris, will receive One Hundred Thousand Francs;

Mrs Sofie Kapy von Kapivar, whose address is known to the Anglo-Oesterreichische Bank in Vienna, is hereby entitled to an annuity of 6000 Florins Ö.W. which is paid to her by the said Bank, and to this end I have deposited in this Bank the amount of 150,000 Fl. in Hungarian State Bonds;

Mr Alarik Liedbeck, presently living at 26 Sturegatan, Stockholm, will receive One Hundred Thousand Crowns;

Miss Elise Antun, presently living at 32 Rue de Lubeck, Paris, is entitled to an annuity of Two Thousand Five Hundred Francs. In addition, Forty Eight Thousand Francs owned by her are at present in my custody, and shall be refunded;

Mr Alfred Hammond, Waterford, Texas, U.S.A. will receive Ten Thousand Dollars;

The Misses Emy and Marie Winkelmann, Potsdamerstrasse, 51, Berlin, will receive Fifty Thousand Marks each;

Mrs Gaucher, 2 bis Boulevard du Viaduc, Nimes, France will receive One Hundred Thousand Francs;

My servants, Auguste Oswald and his wife Alphonse Tournand, employed in my laboratory at San Remo, will each receive an annuity of One Thousand Francs;

My former servant, Joseph Girardot, 5, Place St. Laurent, Châlons sur Saône, is entitled to an annuity of Five Hundred Francs, and my former gardener, Jean Lecof, at present with Mrs Desoutter, receveur Curaliste, Mesnil, Aubry pour Ecouen, S.& O., France, will receive an annuity of Three Hundred Francs;

Mr Georges Fehrenbach, 2, Rue Compiègne, Paris, is entitled to an annual pension of Five Thousand Francs from January 1, 1896 to January 1, 1899, when the said pension shall discontinue;

A sum of Twenty Thousand Crowns each, which has been placed in my custody, is the property of my brother’s children, Hjalmar, Ludvig, Ingeborg and Tyra, and shall be repaid to them.

The whole of my remaining realizable estate shall be dealt with in the following way: the capital, invested in safe securities by my executors, shall constitute a fund, the interest on which shall be annually distributed in the form of prizes to those who, during the preceding year, shall have conferred the greatest benefit to mankind. The said interest shall be divided into five equal parts, which shall be apportioned as follows: one part to the person who shall have made the most important discovery or invention within the field of physics; one part to the person who shall have made the most important chemical discovery or improvement; one part to the person who shall have made the most important discovery within the domain of physiology or medicine; one part to the person who shall have produced in the field of literature the most outstanding work in an ideal direction; and one part to the person who shall have done the most or the best work for fraternity between nations, for the abolition or reduction of standing armies and for the holding and promotion of peace congresses. The prizes for physics and chemistry shall be awarded by the Swedish Academy of Sciences; that for physiological or medical work by the Caroline Institute in Stockholm; that for literature by the Academy in Stockholm, and that for champions of peace by a committee of five persons to be elected by the Norwegian Storting. It is my express wish that in awarding the prizes no consideration whatever shall be given to the nationality of the candidates, but that the most worthy shall receive the prize, whether he be a Scandinavian or not.

As Executors of my testamentary dispositions, I hereby appoint Mr Ragnar Sohlman, resident at Bofors, Värmland, and Mr Rudolf Lilljequist, 31 Malmskillnadsgatan, Stockholm, and at Bengtsfors near Uddevalla. To compensate for their pains and attention, I grant to Mr Ragnar Sohlman, who will presumably have to devote most time to this matter, One Hundred Thousand Crowns, and to Mr Rudolf Lilljequist, Fifty Thousand Crowns;

At the present time, my property consists in part of real estate in Paris and San Remo, and in part of securities deposited as follows: with The Union Bank of Scotland Ltd in Glasgow and London, Le Crédit Lyonnais, Comptoir National d’Escompte, and with Alphen Messin & Co. in Paris; with the stockbroker M.V. Peter of Banque Transatlantique, also in Paris; with Direction der Disconto Gesellschaft and Joseph Goldschmidt & Cie, Berlin; with the Russian Central Bank, and with Mr Emanuel Nobel in Petersburg; with Skandinaviska Kredit Aktiebolaget in Gothenburg and Stockholm, and in my strong-box at 59, Avenue Malakoff, Paris; further to this are accounts receivable, patents, patent fees or so-called royalties etc. in connection with which my Executors will find full information in my papers and books.

This Will and Testament is up to now the only one valid, and revokes all my previous testamentary dispositions, should any such exist after my death.

Finally, it is my express wish that following my death my veins shall be opened, and when this has been done and competent Doctors have confirmed clear signs of death, my remains shall be cremated in a so-called crematorium.

Paris, 27 November, 1895

Alfred Bernhard Nobel

That Mr Alfred Bernhard Nobel, being of sound mind, has of his own free will declared the above to be his last Will and Testament, and that he has signed the same, we have, in his presence and the presence of each other, hereunto subscribed our names as witnesses:

Sigurd Ehrenborg
    former Lieutenant
    Paris: 84 Boulevard Haussmann

R. W. Strehlenert
    Civil Engineer
    4, Passage Caroline

Thos Nordenfelt
    Constructor
    8, Rue Auber, Paris

Leonard Hwass
    Civil Engineer
    4, Passage Caroline

izvor: http://www.globalresearch.ca/the-eu-...will-2/5308142

Comment

• DedoAleko
      • Jun 2009

eU officials insult Macedonia/Macedonians

Russo-Estonian eU Ambassador Orav, not the shiniest coin in the fountain

The Russian-Estonian EU Ambassador to Macedonia decided it's up to him how he names Macedonia, so during a session in Brussels, Mr. Orav opted for the most insulting of all, 'SlavoMacedonians'.

In a speech for AFET, which is the abbreviation for the EU Commission of foreign affairs, Mr Orav stated that the "Ohrid Framework Agreement was very important for the ethnic Albanians and slavomacedonians who interpret the framework differently."

Later, the Russian-Estonian born EU Ambassador spoke about the "Government from Skopje", and of course the bright future of "slavomacedonians".

This isn't the first time for an EU official to be renaming Macedonians as they see fit. For several years, the EU refused to spell out the language as "Macedonian", despite the fact it's internationally recognized and dozens of universities world wide teach it and offer degrees in it since 1944.

Meanwhile, Mr. Avio Orav has ensured himself a short stay in Macedonia and future awkward moments with both politicians and citizens alike.

Even freshman students studying Political Science 101 know this little rule - Don't insult your host.

izvor: http://macedoniaonline.eu/content/view/22223/1/

Comment

• George S.
        • Aug 2009

Who is this person DRav to insult us ,There are a lot of stupid ignorant people around like him.Reminds me of gligorov saying we aren't macedonians we are slavs,These are just bs statements to insult us.In furure don't welcome him into ROM as they got stupid preconceived ideas of who wee are.There is no need to thank him for his comments he has adopted the greek side of greek propaganda.
        Last edited by George S.; 11-17-2012, 10:33 AM. Reason: ed
        "Ido not want an uprising of people that would leave me at the first failure, I want revolution with citizens able to bear all the temptations to a prolonged struggle, what, because of the fierce political conditions, will be our guide or cattle to the slaughterhouse"
        GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

• DedoAleko
          • Jun 2009

The Government of R.Macedonia protests and condemns the eU Ambassadors statements

google translate:

Government protest and condemnation by Ambassador Orav term "Slavo-Macedonians"

Regarding the use of the term "Slavo-Macedonians" by Ambassador Aivo Orav, the Government considers that such treatment does not contribute to the solution of the open question that our country has with its southern neighbor, and expressed strong dissent, protest and condemnation of .

- If this is someone's idea of ​​different behavior of certain representatives of the European Commission at a time like us using the term "Macedonian", and in another moment they appreciate our neighbors using the term "Slavo-Macedonians", should be aware that such a relationship did not contribute to solving the open, according to today's announcement by the Government of the Republic of Macedonia.

While this attitude brings confusion in the process, creates a basic problem that this acting and not guided by principles in their behavior, and with such inconsistencies, it creates a ground for the result of processes. Guided by the need to appease the clamor in one or another country, while ripple and create with this behavior, you need to be aware that you can not achieve results.

- With this attitude Ambassador Orav should know and be aware that expresses disrespect for the fundamental principle of self-determination and self-naming. Also, in this regard, you should know that consciously or unconsciously shows that open issue is not just the name of our country, but for the identity, and the European Commission itself draws dangerous ground in a dispute which the defined by the United Nations, according to a statement.

Government appreciates the efforts of the European Commission in the enlargement process, but, as stated, appeals principled respect of all its representatives regarding this very important issue for us.

izvor: http://www.taratur.com/node/38804

Comment

• DedoAleko
            • Jun 2009

The media is full with texts quoting our government, condemning eU ambassadors statements and demanding actions from our government.

For example:

Канал 5 телевизија како една од водечките телевизиски куќи во Македонија, од 1998 година на малите екрани до гледање онлајн денес, известува за најновите вести од Македонија, регионот и светот.

(these texts are in Macedonian,so you might need to use translator :P )

Comment

• DedoAleko
              • Jun 2009

Ambassador Nikovski wants EU Chief in Macedonia (Aivo Orav) Expelled

"He needs to be ignored, by all, at all levels. No institution should have any contacts, if Aivo Orav does not publicly apologize. If he refuses to apologize and remains isolated as he most certainly will be, he himself will ask to leave," stated Macedonian ambassador Risto Nikovski in an interview earlier today.

This was Ambassador Nikovski's reaction to a press conference in Brussels by the EU mission chief to Macedonia, Aivo Orav in European Parliament while speaking for Macedonia's perspectives in the EU's integration process. During his speech, he repeatedly insulted Macedonians by calling them 'slavomacedonians', a poor attempt to appease Athens.

"It would be best for the Macedonian Government to proclaim Mr. Orav (persona non grata) and simply expell him from the country. We unfortunately don't have the capacity to do something like this, which is why foreign diplomats insult us, in our own home, time and time again," commented Ambassador Nikovski.

izvor: http://macedoniaonline.eu/content/view/22231/1/

Comment

• DedoAleko
                • Jun 2009

google translate:

Aivo Orav reports to Ivanov

President Ivanov called Ambassador Aivo Orav for emergency consultations, because his speech before the European Commission, in which the Macedonians were called Slavo-Macedonians.
                Unofficially the President will ask the Ambassador to publicly apologize to the Macedonian people and to express respect for the basic principle of self-determination and self-naming.

izvor: http://www.mkd.mk/76467/makedonija/a...rt-kaj-ivanov/

Comment

• Risto the Great
                  • Sep 2008

Originally posted by DedoAleko View Post
                  Unofficially the President will ask the Ambassador to publicly apologize to the Macedonian people and to express respect for the basic principle of self-determination and self-naming.
                  I say grow a pair and make it OFFICIAL!
                  Risto the Great
                  MACEDONIA:ANHEDONIA
                  "Holding my breath for the revolution."

Hey, I wrote a bestseller. Check it out: www.ren-shen.com

Comment

• DirtyCodingHabitz
                    • Sep 2010

to publicly apologize to the Macedonian people and to express respect for the basic principle of self-determination and self-naming
                    That will never happen.

Comment

• DedoAleko
                      • Jun 2009

Medias report he had talks with the president Ivanov,but he dodged the reporters who were waiting for him for an explanation.

google translate:

The head of the EU office in Skopje, Ambassador Aivo Orav did not come today at the announced event in Government. Many teams of reporters awaited his coming and his eventual answer to the question why in Brussels he used the term "Slavo-Macedonians". Orav Government has sent his deputy.

Orav this morning had a meeting with President George Ivanov. From the president's office is scheduled announcement. Ivanov announced that he will ask for public apology and respect for the right of self-determination.

Government statement had already condemned this action Ambassador.

izvor: http://www.mkd.mk/76567/makedonija/o...od-novinarite/

Comment

• makedonche
                        • Oct 2008

Originally posted by DedoAleko View Post
                        Medias report he had talks with the president Ivanov,but he dodged the reporters who were waiting for him for an explanation.

google translate:

The head of the EU office in Skopje, Ambassador Aivo Orav did not come today at the announced event in Government. Many teams of reporters awaited his coming and his eventual answer to the question why in Brussels he used the term "Slavo-Macedonians". Orav Government has sent his deputy.

Orav this morning had a meeting with President George Ivanov. From the president's office is scheduled announcement. Ivanov announced that he will ask for public apology and respect for the right of self-determination.

Government statement had already condemned this action Ambassador.

izvor: http://www.mkd.mk/76567/makedonija/o...od-novinarite/
                        DedoAleko
                        Soberi nekoi mladi i odite da frlate kamenia po nego, da go isterate vo gjuptin ot Makedonija, ako nemozhi illi ne saka durzhavatan tolgai mora loigeto da ga naprat rabotata, ama de sedai mirno kako budali ne chini!
                        On Delchev's sarcophagus you can read the following inscription: "We swear the future generations to bury these sacred bones in the capital of Independent Macedonia. August 1923 Illinden"

Comment

• AMHRC
                          De-registered
                          • Sep 2009

AMHRC/MHRMI STRONGLY CONDEMN RACIST SLUR BY EU AMBASSADOR

Melbourne and Toronto
                          20 November 2012

The Australian Macedonian Human Rights Committee (AMHRC) and Macedonian Human Rights Movement International (MHRMI) strongly condemn the racist slur by the Head of the EU Delegation to the Republic of Macedonia, Mr Aivo Orav. In comments made last week to the European Parliament’s Committee on Foreign Affairs, Mr Orav referred to Macedonians as “Slav Macedonians.”

The term “Slav Macedonian” is not a term of self-identification and therefore is totally rejected by Macedonians in the Republic of Macedonia and beyond. As well as being offensive and insulting, such terminology has been used in the past as a term of abuse by various states where Macedonians have and continue to reside.

AMHRC/MHRMI would also like to remind Mr Orav that the use of “Slav Macedonian” is fundamentally incompatible with the basic principles of the European Union. For example, Article 2 of the Treaty on the European Union begins by declaring that: “The Union is founded on the values of respect for human dignity, freedom, democracy, equality, the rule of law and respect for human rights…”, while Article 22 of the Charter of Fundamental Rights of the European Union stipulates that: “The Union shall respect cultural, religious and linguistic diversity.”

Mr Orav has responded to the public outrage in Macedonia over his offensive comments by claiming that: “I used language understandable to those present at the meeting…nor did I have an intention to offend anyone.”

AMHRC/MHRMI finds it hard to believe that Mr Orav was not aware that his reference to “Slav Macedonians” would cause offense. Moreover, if it was not his “intention” to cause offence, then what exactly was his intention? Was it to deny Macedonians the right to self-identification? Was it his intention to violate the EU’s Charter of Fundamental Rights? Or was it his desire simply to appease and use “language understandable” to certain members of the Committee before which he was appearing?

Given that Mr Orav has refused to publically apologise for his use of the offensive “Slav Macedonian” remark, it is now incumbent upon the EU’s High Representative for Foreign Affairs and Security Policy, Catherine Ashton, to instruct him to do so. Moreover, Mr Orav ought to publicly re-commit himself to the basic principles of the EU, including respect for the right to self-identification. In future he should simply refer to ethnic Macedonians as Macedonians.

Failing a public apology from Mr Orav, Ms Ashton has a moral obligation to remove him from the post.

AMHRC/MHRMI has formally written to Mr Orav and Ms Ashton in relation to this matter and we encourage all Macedonians to do the same:

Mr Avio Orav
                          EU Head of Delegation to the Republic of Macedonia
                          [email protected]

Baroness Catherine Ashton
                          High Representative of the European Union for Foreign Affairs and Security Policy
                          [email protected]

Established in 1984, the Australian Macedonian Human Rights Committee (AMHRC) is a non-governmental organisation that informs and advocates before international institutions, governments and broader communities about combating racism and promoting human rights. Our aspiration is to ensure that Macedonian communities and other excluded groups throughout the world, are recognised, respected and afforded equitable treatment. For more information please visitwww.macedonianhr.org.au, email [email protected] or via +61 3 9329 8960.

Macedonian Human Rights Movement International (MHRMI) has been active on human and national rights issues for Macedonians and other oppressed peoples since 1986. For more information: www.mhrmi.org, www.twitter.com/mhrmi, www.facebook.com/mhrmi, [email protected], +1 416-850-7125.

Comment

• Dejan
                            • Sep 2008

I sent an email, but I don't expect to get a reply:

Dear Mr. Avio Orav,

I am writing to you in reference to your inaccurate and disrespectful remarks during a speech for AFET, in Brussels. Your remarks of 'slavomacedonians' in reference to ethnic Macedonians are not only racist, but also demeaning, disgracious, and insulting to all ethnic Macedonians, within the Republic of Macedonia and around the world. I was under the impression that the European Union was founded on the values of respect for human rights, human dignity, equality, and cultural diversity. With inaccurate comments such as the ones you have made, you show yourself to be an enemy of human rights and the right of self determination.

Given that you have refused to publicly apologise to the Macedonians for your careless remarks, it is clear that you are unfit to keep your post as EU Head of Delegation to the Republic of Macedonia. If you cannot respect the people you are working with, then you do not deserve to be there. I challenge you to find one person in the world who identifies with 'slavomacedonian' ethnicity.

I will be forwarding your blatant remarks and details to the Macedonian community of Australia, so they can see the calibre of people the ethnic Macedonians worldwide are struggling to defend themselves against. We, ethnic Macedonians, endure your hateful comments even from half way around the world, and must defend ourselves from your comments from other ethnicities residing in Australia who disrespect us, so as not to be ridiculed in the community. Your stupidity has made us a target to cultural extremists.

I realise that I may not get a response from you or your organisation, but I wanted to inform you that your hateful and inaccurate comments are felt half a world away, and it is only fair that ethnic Macedonians should defend themselves from inaccuracy and racism that you like to portray.

Regards,

Concerned world citizen of Macedonian descent.
                            You want Macedonia? Come and take it from my blood!

A prosperous, independent and free Macedonia for Macedonians will be the ultimate revenge to our enemies.

Comment

• makedonche
                              • Oct 2008

Dejan
                              Well done, you may want to cc the EU head of foreign affairs - Catherine Ashton.
                              On Delchev's sarcophagus you can read the following inscription: "We swear the future generations to bury these sacred bones in the capital of Independent Macedonia. August 1923 Illinden"

Comment

• Dejan
                                • Sep 2008

Thanks makedonche. Yes, i cc'd her on the email as well.
                                You want Macedonia? Come and take it from my blood!

A prosperous, independent and free Macedonia for Macedonians will be the ultimate revenge to our enemies.

Comment

Working...
                                X