• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dimko-piperkata
    • Sep 2008

Rasmussen to work on finding solution to name dispute

MIA
    The New York Times: Rasmussen to work on finding solution to name dispute between Athens and Skopje

BRUSSELS, August 4. (MIA). NATO's new secretary general, Anders Fogh Rasmussen, said that he would work to find a solution to the dispute over the name between Athens and Skopje which hinders Macedonia's admission into the Alliance, The New York Times reads Tuesday.

Rasmussen, as daily reads, pointed out this at Sunday's first address as new NATO chief in Brussels.

The New York Times reminds that Greece blocked Macedonia's entry into NATO at Bucharest Summit last year due to name dispute and Greece's insisting the country must not call itself simply Macedonia, which is also the name of a northern Greek region.

its obviously that FOROG is loosing his backing from their fellowship
    1) Macedonians belong to the "older" Mediterranean substratum...
    2) Macedonians are not related with geographically close Greeks, who do not belong to the "older" Mediterranenan substratum...

Comment

• Risto the Great
      • Sep 2008

Please don't let us in (again) Greece.
      Macedonia needs the stakes to be higher and we want to see you pony up the bucks to make it worth our while.
      Risto the Great
      MACEDONIA:ANHEDONIA
      "Holding my breath for the revolution."

Hey, I wrote a bestseller. Check it out: www.ren-shen.com

Comment

• NikodimMKD
        Banned
        • Apr 2009

Thaci might ask Albania to put VETO for Macedonia’s NATO entry

Tetovo / 10/08/09 / 16:12
        After meeting the Prime Minister Sali Berisha DPA President Menduh Thaci thought about asking Albania to put veto for Macedonia’s NATO entry.

Thaci said that he plans to do that next time. Makfax news agency reported.

As for the Parliament’s boycott, DPA announced its plan for next week due to some technical procedures.

Thaci demanded that the leading party DUI should leave the government and join us. They will destroy themselves if they stay in the government.

He also said that the 8th anniversary of the Framework agreement is by itself a disaster and will look like a funeral. This agreement doesn’t function, Thaci added.

Comment

• Jankovska
          • Sep 2008

Tachi is an idiot, all talk and no action. Everyone knows that now that is why no one actually pays attention to what he has to say. Just because he will say it to the Albanians presedent it doesn't mean it's going to happen, actually it will never happen. Albania will be scared to push the Macedonians. It's really childish and so unprofessional of the Bulagarians and Albanians to go public with stupid claims like this one. It will never happen, why do you wanna look bad?

Comment

• Rogi
            • Sep 2008

This is a pipe dream only, for Thaci.

Albania does not have the diplomatic strength to go against the interests of NATO's key stakeholders and would not make any moves to displease the US.

Macedonia will join the European Union before Albania, where Macedonia will have an upper hand. It is unlikely that Albania would risk their EU chances.

Relations between Albania and Macedonia are quite good, it would make no sense to make such moves against Albania's only friendly neighbour. Particularly not to appease the falling political party in the Albanian bloc in Macedonia.

Comment

• Astrit
              • Jul 2009

Thaqi or not, Albania I believe will try to veto the entry. Greece has been supporting Albania's integration(for their own agenda) into the EU and NATO and we have to keep our end of the bargain. Sali Berisha promised Karamanlis the veto months ago in his last visit to Albania, we have our hands tied....

Comment

• NikodimMKD
                Banned
                • Apr 2009

Not to mention calls from Bulgarian circles about a possible veto against our EU ambitions.

Comment

• Risto the Great
                  • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Astrit View Post
                  Thaqi or not, Albania I believe will try to veto the entry. Greece has been supporting Albania's integration(for their own agenda) into the EU and NATO and we have to keep our end of the bargain. Sali Berisha promised Karamanlis the veto months ago in his last visit to Albania, we have our hands tied....
                  If this happens, it would be very unfortunate for Albania. I am positive the visa controls would be implemented and I am equally positive the sentiment towards Albanians would change with consequences for the ethnic Albanians in Macedonia.
                  Risto the Great

Comment

• Astrit
                    • Jul 2009

Originally posted by Risto the Great View Post
                    If this happens, it would be very unfortunate for Albania. I am positive the visa controls would be implemented and I am equally positive the sentiment towards Albanians would change with consequences for the ethnic Albanians in Macedonia.
                    The Blue ("Democratic") Communists running Albania have made it clear that Albanians in Macedonia are seen as last in their list of priorities. They would not want to upset their best friends Karamanlis and Dora the witch in Greece.
                    Last edited by Astrit; 08-11-2009, 07:09 PM.

Comment

• Risto the Great
                      • Sep 2008

I am perplexed by this. The Albanians know the Greeks do not like them yet they try to please them. It is strange. Unfortunately, I think you know the situation very well in Albania Astrit and I accept your view as a most likely scenario.
                      Risto the Great

Comment

• Pelister
                        • Sep 2008

I can only imagine how much money is being funelled by Greece through to the top offiicals of Bulgaria and Albania.

The wolves are closing in.

As soon as the Macedonian leadership wake up to the fact that they have legal recourse to pursue a termination to the use of the term FYROM - using a U.N law, and a precedent in Portugal in 1947 - which will have their constitutional name reinstated as the official name at the U.N; when they realize they can do this, legally and officially, the Greeks will use every other devious strategy open to them [which they are doing now].

Comment

• NikodimMKD
                          Banned
                          • Apr 2009

Even if Macedonia doesn't get into NATO or the EU due to vetos from Albania, Bulgaria, or 'greece' we will still be fine. Perhaps we can join Turkey in a federation. We recently opened our 7th consulate in Turkey. All this from a country of 2 million people.

Comment

• Rogi
                            • Sep 2008

Nikodim, it must be an interesting little world you live in.

Here's a hint, pay attention to David Cameron and William Hague.
                            We will see how things will play out, but you are on the wrong side of the tide.

Comment

• Venom
                              • Sep 2008

Does nikodick think we're all fucking morons or is he on some hardcore drugs?
                              S m r t - i l i - S l o b o d a

Comment

• Risto the Great
                                • Sep 2008

Both I would say.
                                Risto the Great

Comment

Working...
                                X