X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Soldier of Macedon
    • Sep 2008

Australian Politics: Cory Bernardi quits the Liberal Party

For those not from Australia, the Liberal Party considers itself to be a somewhat right-leaning / conservative party. In this context, the term 'liberal' is not the same as it is in America, where it means left-leaning. Anyway, it seems like the rise of conservatism in Europe and the U.S has also had an impact here. How effective and influential Bernardi's new party will be remains to be seen.

Cory Bernardi’s move to quit Liberals for own conservative party causes havoc for Malcolm Turnbull
    REBEL South Australian senator Cory Bernardi’s decision to quit the Liberal Party threatens to further divide the Turnbull Government. Sources within the Liberals confirmed Bernardi informed the PM of his decision despite sitting and former government MPs making an 11th hour appeal to the senator to stay. Immigration Minister Peter Dutton said it would be a betrayal of his voters, while Financial Services Minister Kelly O’Dwyer the public had no tolerance for parliamentarians “who are engaged in ego trips”.

The Advertiser understands that SA’s electricity crisis is one of the issues that led to Senator Bernardi’s decision to quit, which is expected to be announced in a statement to the Senate this morning. It is believed he will start a new party, Australian Conservatives, in a move which will boost the crossbench numbers to 12.

Speculation of Senator Bernardi’s impending resignation, revealed in The Advertiser by political commentator Andrew Bolt, has further compounded Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull’s political woes as he begins the parliamentary year trailing badly in the polls. Senator Bernardi was re-elected to the Senate last year for a six-year term. At last year’s federal election, Senator Bernardi was second on the Liberal ticket behind Senator Birmingham. The Liberal ticket attracted 329,516 first-preference votes, Senator Bernardi received 2043 votes.

It is understood Senator Bernardi’s new party will focus on resisting a push towards expensive renewable energy options and take a tougher stance on immigration — especially from predominantly Muslim nations.

Energy is set to be one of the hot topics of the year in the wake of SA’s statewide blackout last year and ongoing and fierce debate about the role of coal and renewables. It is understood that Senator Bernardi's close friend Gina Rinehart, who recently expanded her business empire to include the South Australia’s S Kidman & Co cattle company, will offer financial backing. But fellow conservatives and critics of the Prime Minister Eric Abetz, George Christensen and Tony Abbott have ruled out following their colleague.

While Senator Bernardi has mostly hit headlines for controversial topics — such as wanting to ban Islamic face coverings and comparing the move to legalise same-sex marriage to legalising bestiality — he is also outspoken about other core conservative issues. He is likely to continue to emphasise family values, a free market, limited government intervention and focus on social issues including gay marriage.

On Monday the Senator’s office window contained only the Australian Conservatives logo and a “manifesto” for “Our Australia” as “a nation bound by virtues and sustained by faith”. It talks about the importance of freedom and a moral foundation. Education Minister and SA Senator Simon Birmingham earlier said he was “confident” Senator Bernardi would stand by earlier statements of solidarity. Another famous SA Liberal defector, Martin Hamilton-Smith — whom Senator Bernardi blasted after he left to take up a Labor ministry — said the Liberals were “looking increasingly like the Greens”.

Recently, Senator Bernardi called on the Government to pull out of the Paris climate change agreement, and called consideration of an emissions intensity scheme “one of the dumbest things” he has heard. In December, he wrote about the “disconnect that is fuelling the crisis of confidence in the major political parties”. At the core of that was the “alarmism” of climate change, he wrote: “In fact, if I were a struggling state or federal political leader, here’s an election-winning platform: I want to make (South) Australian electricity prices the most competitive in the nation/world. To do that, we are going to remove bureaucratic impediments to the construction and operation of new power stations and remove subsidies for uneconomic schemes.”

Treasurer Scott Morrison said SA voters had elected Senator Bernardi to support the Liberal Party in Parliament but it was ultimately up to him to decide whether he left the government benches. Labor leader Bill Shorten said the Turnbull Government was hopelessly divided and had lost focus on the issues that matter. “Whether or not Cory Bernardi stays or goes, whether or not Malcolm goes ... that isn’t going to help people pay for their first house,” Mr Shorten. It doesn’t help people find a job or keep a job.”

OFFICIALLY, it was supposed to be a conservative version of the left-wing political activist group GetUp! But observers suspected Cory Bernardi was unofficially using the Australian Conservatives group to lay the foundations for his own political party by creating a network of potential supporters and donors. The Australian Conservatives burst on to the political scene after the federal election with a basic website. Tens of thousands of people reportedly signed up to receive the group’s regular emails.

Founder Senator Bernardi said conservative-minded members of all political parties were welcome to join. The group would pursue issues such as free speech and reforming section 18c of the Racial Discrimination Act. He believed the group was a counter to GetUp!, which backs progressive causes and uses its army of volunteers to campaign against the Liberals at election time. The Australian Conservatives is an offshoot of the Bernardi-founded Conservative Leadership Foundation, which operates from offices in Kent Town.

Late last year, “The Australian Majority” became the newest addition to Senator Bernardi’s organisations. Like GetUp!, the Bernardi groups are not obliged to publicly reveal their sources of income or donors. Senator Bernardi can turn to Australian Conservatives and Conservative Leadership Foundation supporters for financial support for his new venture.
    In the name of the blood and the sun, the dagger and the gun, Christ protect this soldier, a lion and a Macedonian.
  • Risto the Great
    • Sep 2008

I think he fancies himself as a bit of a Trumpster (without the money). The timing is right for all these nutters to run the world and they seem to be gaining support in all democracies. He might do very well given his only competition will be Pauline Hanson.
    Risto the Great
    MACEDONIA:ANHEDONIA
    "Holding my breath for the revolution."

Hey, I wrote a bestseller. Check it out: www.ren-shen.com

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
      • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Risto the Great View Post
      The timing is right for all these nutters to run the world and they seem to be gaining support in all democracies.
      The timing has much to do with the direction that the political left has led some parts of the western world. They've taken certain policies too far and this is the inevitable backlash. And to be fair, there are nutcases on both sides of politics.
      In the name of the blood and the sun, the dagger and the gun, Christ protect this soldier, a lion and a Macedonian.

Comment

• Karposh
        • Aug 2015

I don't mind him. He says stuff that strikes a chord with me. His views on certain social issues pretty much line up with mine. His stand on issues such as same-sex marriage, abortion and the indoctrination of school kids with LGBT propaganda in the school system are a breath of fresh air. All the other so-called conservative politicians (on both ends of the political divide) have bent over (pardon the pun) to the homosexual lobby in this country but not Cory.

Anyone who hasn't heard of it yet, the "Safe Schools Program" is an LGBT led initiative which aims to make kids more accepting of homosexuality and see it as a natural and normal part of life. To me this is one of the best examples of a state sponsored program for the degradation of society. On the pretext of preventing bullying at school, it is a front for brainwashing young and impressionable minds into becoming lefty-liberal homos. The program, which is championed by lesbian politician Penny Wong, only recently lost its federal funding (as of October 2016), which she fought hard for. Perhaps the politicians finally heard the protests of the silent majority and pulled the plug on funding this sinister program.

Interestingly, the acronym has now grown by two letters to include intersex people and queers. It is now known as LGBTIQ. I wouldn't be surprised if, in the not too distant future, it will become LGBTIQPBN. After all, the paedophiles, those into bestiality and the members of the necrophilia community need a voice too, don't they.

Among the resource content of the Safe Schools Program, there is a video of same sex attracted gender diverse youth and, this has to be my personal favourite, there is also a lovely children's book entitled "The Gender Fairy", which was released in 2016 and promoted by the Safe Schools Coalition.

Comment

• Phoenix
          • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Karposh View Post
          I don't mind him. He says stuff that strikes a chord with me. His views on certain social issues pretty much line up with mine. His stand on issues such as same-sex marriage, abortion and the indoctrination of school kids with LGBT propaganda in the school system are a breath of fresh air. All the other so-called conservative politicians (on both ends of the political divide) have bent over (pardon the pun) to the homosexual lobby in this country but not Cory.

Anyone who hasn't heard of it yet, the "Safe Schools Program" is an LGBT led initiative which aims to make kids more accepting of homosexuality and see it as a natural and normal part of life. To me this is one of the best examples of a state sponsored program for the degradation of society. On the pretext of preventing bullying at school, it is a front for brainwashing young and impressionable minds into becoming lefty-liberal homos. The program, which is championed by lesbian politician Penny Wong, only recently lost its federal funding (as of October 2016), which she fought hard for. Perhaps the politicians finally heard the protests of the silent majority and pulled the plug on funding this sinister program.

Interestingly, the acronym has now grown by two letters to include intersex people and queers. It is now known as LGBTIQ. I wouldn't be surprised if, in the not too distant future, it will become LGBTIQPBN. After all, the paedophiles, those into bestiality and the members of the necrophilia community need a voice too, don't they.

Among the resource content of the Safe Schools Program, there is a video of same sex attracted gender diverse youth and, this has to be my personal favourite, there is also a lovely children's book entitled "The Gender Fairy", which was released in 2016 and promoted by the Safe Schools Coalition.
          Wow...Chalk one up for the Flat Earth Society...lets bury our heads in the sand and pretend that none of the above happens, or line up behind (pardon the pun) Bernardi and his not so broad church of medieval conservatives for moral and scientific guidance...
          Last edited by Phoenix; 02-08-2017, 06:07 AM.

Comment

• Karposh
            • Aug 2015

Originally posted by Phoenix View Post
            Wow...Chalk one up for the Flat Earth Society...lets bury our heads in the sand and pretend that none of the above happens, or line up behind (pardon the pun) Bernardi and his not so broad church of medieval conservatives for moral and scientific guidance...
            I guess you're not a fan. That's cool.

Comment

• Phoenix
              • Dec 2008

I guess you're not a fan. That's cool.
              Non acceptance of any minority group just doesn't sit well with me and it tends to diminish our own battles for recognition as Macedonians.

Comment

• Karposh
                • Aug 2015

People can judge my beliefs however they like. I make no apologies for them. It's something I feel strongly about and it sickens me that the better part of the world feels they are so much more informed and knowledgeable than the generations past. It has come to the point where it is reverse discrimination if you have beliefs that do not conform with the liberal-minded and Godless modern values of society today. I'm an Orthodox Christian and that comes with a belief system that doesn't "bend over" (pardon the pun) to western values. Putin has the same beliefs and he is the most evil man on Earth, apparently.

Comment

• Phoenix
                  • Dec 2008

People can judge my beliefs however they like. I make no apologies for them. It's something I feel strongly about and it sickens me that the better part of the world feels they are so much more informed and knowledgeable than the generations past. It has come to the point where it is reverse discrimination if you have beliefs that do not conform with the liberal-minded and Godless modern values of society today. I'm an Orthodox Christian and that comes with a belief system that doesn't "bend over" (pardon the pun) to western values. Putin has the same beliefs and he is the most evil man on Earth, apparently.
                  I just feel that what they get up to is their business and not mine...

Comment

• Amphipolis
                    Banned
                    • Aug 2014

Which beliefs are they? I thought the Church is trying to hide the most stupid parts of the Bible and express/interpret them in modern ways. I remember that in the case (let’s say) a man is very feminine and biologically inefficient to have sex and a family the Church would recommend that he becomes… a monk (hmmm…). That is in case you wonder what a “gay as a window” (if that’s the English phrase) who is also a devoted Christian should do with his life. Maybe, today they would recommend a surgery.

In my days, an average classroom had 30 kids, which usually included one obvious case with a gender issue and who knows how many non-obvious ones. I have worked with several people that looked gays and I have avoided discussing it with them (so I’m not really sure) and recently I met my first case of a young man with a sex-change operation, so this is not just a Hollywood thing (it has arrived in the Balkans).

Comment

• Risto the Great
                      • Sep 2008

People can judge my beliefs however they like.
                      I think I was more aligned with your views when I was younger. Nowadays I really don't feel the need to persecute the kinds of people that offend you.

Anyway, I doubt Bernardi is so full of beliefs that he can't accept the Liberals. This is simply his chance for personal glory.

Is this what we're talking about?

I DO NOT own the right to this video!! This is NOT my video!!
                      Risto the Great
                      MACEDONIA:ANHEDONIA
                      "Holding my breath for the revolution."

Hey, I wrote a bestseller. Check it out: www.ren-shen.com

Comment

• Philosopher
                        • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Amphipolis View Post
                        I thought the Church is trying to hide the most stupid parts of the Bible and express/interpret them in modern ways.
                        Can you be more specific?

Comment

Working...
                        X