X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Amphipolis
    Banned
    • Aug 2014

The only real news from today's Minister Mr. Tasoulas press conference is that at the epistyles there are "suspected human representations" revealed at conservation.

Google Translation

"Currently has become the first purification of architraves and will follow their treatment with laser, and other processes. This example was to emphasize that the whole process is slow and requires patience.

"If you hurry, you run the risk of errors that can be decisive," said the Minister, who wanted to tell him how it does not hide anything, just the disclosures made anyway slowly."

Well, I guess they must be very washed out.

Comment

• Amphipolis
      Banned
      • Aug 2014

Tomorrow, it's the final announcements by Peristeri. We're not sure what to wait for, let's hope new info will be added accompanied with new pictures or videos. The schedule of the announcements with three or more speakers and specific topics makes it look more like a scientific conference.

After last Saturday, the only interesting thing that was added was Mendoni clarifying that the bones did not belong to a mummified person (there were no traces of skin). The minister’s interview also had some bizarre details that are too technical to mention.

It was also scheduled on how journalists will be the first ones allowed to enter the tomb in small groups.

Comment

• Redsun
        • Jul 2013

Hello Amphi,

What came to mind when Mendoni stated that the bones did not belong to a mummified person?

I don't understand mummification, I thought that if it was a mummified body this would mean that it had been wrapped in a non organic material? This material I assume should of had the durability to outlast the organic material/matter (skin).

Why is their still no mention of the clothing? Has there been no fabric discovered?

What about the paintings mentioned in the news, how come they haven't released the pictures yet?

Comment

• Amphipolis
          Banned
          • Aug 2014

Originally posted by Redsun View Post
          Hello Amphi,

What came to mind when Mendoni stated that the bones did not belong to a mummified person?

I don't understand mummification, I thought that if it was a mummified body this would mean that it had been wrapped in a non organic material? This material I assume should of had the durability to outlast the organic material/matter (skin).

Why is their still no mention of the clothing? Has there been no fabric discovered?

What about the paintings mentioned in the news, how come they haven't released the pictures yet?
          I see mummification and embalmment is the same thing (?). I don’t know if I correctly translated it in English. It’s what happened to Alexander’s body for instance. It has also been cleared that the body was not burnt.

I only suspect that all the clothing was destroyed by time and only traces may be found. I mean even the wooden bed was destroyed and single parts remained.

In Greece, there were instantly many conspiracy theories about the epistyles when they were first found. As Faklaris wisely said in an interview: “When they said epistyles, maybe they meant the frieze”. I don’t buy crazy theories so these paintings must have been awfully faded, far worse than the famous frieze of Vergina. Maybe they will show pictures tomorrow.

Comment

• Redsun
            • Jul 2013

Mummification and embalming, I'm not sure myself. I thought embalming was the action of having oils rubbed on to the skin of the body and mummification to be the process of wrapping the body in materials. I'm going to read about it after this, so I will know for next time.

I find it really hard to accept that the clothing was destroyed through time. I don't understand how decay works either so I don't understand how the clothing could have broke down into molecular pieces? Disappeared into thin air, to simply vanish.

Do you think that the bone fragments tested will yield genetic results?

Comment

• Amphipolis
              Banned
              • Aug 2014

Do you think that the bone fragments tested will yield genetic results?
              As far as I have read this is certain. It is even certain (though difficult and costly) for Philip's (?) bones that are burnt.

Comment

• makedonche
                • Oct 2008

Originally posted by Amphipolis View Post
                As far as I have read this is certain. It is even certain (though difficult and costly) for Philip's (?) bones that are burnt.
                Amphipolis
                Your archaeologists have neither the expertise nor the integrity to conduct any investigations using internationally recognised standards with objective international qualified observers being present, this has been evidenced time and time again over many years, so any comments or opinions on any findings have only one useful destination....the rubbish bin!
                On Delchev's sarcophagus you can read the following inscription: "We swear the future generations to bury these sacred bones in the capital of Independent Macedonia. August 1923 Illinden"

Comment

• Amphipolis
                  Banned
                  • Aug 2014

Originally posted by makedonche View Post
                  Amphipolis
                  Your archaeologists have neither the expertise nor the integrity to conduct any investigations using internationally recognised standards with objective international qualified observers being present, this has been evidenced time and time again over many years, so any comments or opinions on any findings have only one useful destination....the rubbish bin!
                  As I said in an earlier post they don't have the technology for the extraction of genetic material from ancient bones and this will be conducted (along with the genetic analysis) in two separate foreign laboratories (one of which will be Manchester).

As for the rest processes I’m not sure what you mean. There has already been a Greek war among various experts on the alleged practices in Amphipolis excavation. Some of the objections were based on the speed and media-coverage of the excavation, some were based on the video (but were already answered by Peristeri), and others were simply ill-willing. My personal opinion is that the speed of Amphipolis excavation was normal, if not slightly slow.

Comment

• Amphipolis
                    Banned
                    • Aug 2014

Actually the announcement turned very interesting. In her first presentation Peristeri did not show pictures of the skeleton causing a series of questions and protests in the audience. After the other two speeches, she decided to share some pictures of the bones!

We already saw new pictures from the excavation process (e.g. first pictures from when everything was discovered). Persiteri says she still doesn't know the sex of the dead. They believe Romans destroyed the perimeter around 300A.D.

The speeches by Lefantzis and Englezos are also very interesting. There's also an interesting dialogue among all the present archaeologists.

This is the first (bad) form where you can see a part of it: How the tomb was built

The skeleton when first found (I can't really see anything)

Tons of other interesting info, especially the soil and septal walls.

Edit: The sphinxes when first found

Edit: No gems were found in the burial chamber, but Macedonian and Roman coins (post 2nd Century BC) were found in the other chambers!!!!
                    Last edited by Amphipolis; 11-29-2014, 07:02 AM.

Comment

• Amphipolis
                      Banned
                      • Aug 2014

This is becoming exciting as it goes on for more than 3 hours. The skeleton is not... complete!!! Mendoni gave some details on where each part was found. Most parts were in the vault, the skull was out and at a certain distance, and the jawbone was at the edge of the vault. She didn't explain which the missing parts are, but she said they won't be crucial; I understand whole parts of soil have been removed along with bones and are still kept at the Amphipolis Museum.

=
                      Last edited by Amphipolis; 11-29-2014, 05:29 PM.

Comment

• Redsun
                        • Jul 2013

That sounds like rubbish, how many Roman coins were found within the tomb?

2nd century BC, I assume that they are gold coins.

Why would you raid a tomb, and then when leaving turn around at the door pull some coins out from your pocket and throw them back into the tomb.

How many coins and where were they located within the tomb?

Comment

• Amphipolis
                          Banned
                          • Aug 2014

Why would you raid a tomb, and then when leaving turn around at the door pull some coins out from your pocket and throw them back into the tomb.

First, I'll give you the exact Google translation of the official announcement describing the press conference

Mobile findings

The new evidence presented today is that while in the main chamber no grave goods were found, in the other premises finds such as coins with the portrait of Alexander the Great, but also from 2nd century BC and others from 3rd AD came to light; they are passing through the cleaning and maintenance procedures and will then be presented.

Despite this, the head of the excavations Katerina Peristeri, said that "these coins were very common and could be found everywhere," adding that the issue is in the processing phase.

There is also some ceramic material to be studied, according to a statement by Ms Peristeri.

These include black-glazed pottery (perhaps dating the monument as earlier, as Jenny Veleni said).

I also remember Persiteri said in a phrase "This coin was very common, like the dollar of that time".

=
                          Last edited by Amphipolis; 11-29-2014, 02:33 PM.

Comment

• Amphipolis
                            Banned
                            • Aug 2014

It was definitely announced today (and proved) that the monument was visitable for centuries. They try to define the order of actions regarding the soil, the septal walls, the raids, the lootings and the skeleton, but (I agree) this isn't very easy. Much new and weird info was presented today by the civil engineer, concerning the septal walls and the vault but I haven't fully understood it. It's also certain that the flood theory (suggested by Palagia and others) is rejected, but I already knew that.

Some described the process as Peristeri being tortured (well maybe she deserved it a little) and really felt sorry for her. Questions and reactions were repetitive and angry. In at least two points Mendoni corrected Peristeri(!) and even said "I'm quite annoyed by the questions and some of the answers..." and proceeded by revealing more info about the skeleton.

=
                            Last edited by Amphipolis; 11-29-2014, 05:28 PM.

Comment

• Amphipolis
                              Banned
                              • Aug 2014

It's obvious that the last "disturbance of the skeleton" occurred AFTER the chamber was covered with soil, even though this seems humanly impossible. I can't explain it any other way. Can you?

Imagine digging through almost 8 meters of soil in a room with no light or enough oxygen. These looters were great. If it had happened before the people would have reordered the skeleton before covering everything with soil.

Based on what they said, in the antechamber (what we call first & second chamber), NOT the third (burial) chamber.

Comment

• Redsun
                                • Jul 2013

Amphipolis - The new evidence presented today is that while in the main chamber no grave goods were found, in the other premises finds such as coins with the portrait of Alexander the Great, but also from 2nd century BC and others from 3rd AD came to light; they are passing through the cleaning and maintenance procedures and will then be presented.

Amphipolis - It was definitely announced today (and proved) that the monument was visitable for centuries.

The archeologist believe it was visible until the 3rd century AD? That is a long time.

Amphipolis - It's obvious that the last "disturbance of the skeleton" occurred AFTER the chamber was covered with soil, even though this seems humanly impossible. I can't explain it any other way. Can you?

It does seem humanly impossible. What makes it obvious that the last "disturbance of the skeleton" occurred after the chamber was covered with soil?

Amphipolis - Imagine digging through almost 8 meters of soil in a room with no light or enough oxygen. These looters were great. If it had happened before the people would have reordered the skeleton before covering everything with soil.

I had a little difficulty with this, and the word "reordered" I assume you meant to put the skeleton together instead of leaving it scattered about?

We are talking about looters right? I don't think they could possibly have any consideration for the people of the tombs that they raid, no respect for the dead. Why would you plunder a tomb rob a corpse and then look around at your fellow looters and say "hey guys, lets show the dead some respect by piecing him back together, even though we robbed all his belongings I'm sure he will look down upon us and appreciate what we have done"

I don't think it mattered if it was covered or uncovered, this would not alter the way that you would expect a looter to leave the scene.

You believe the looters raided the tomb after it was buried, they must be excellent at their job how could they manage such a feat when it took the Greek government an immensely large amount of time to dig inside and setup the scaffolding to hold up the ceiling.

How did the looters ensure that the ceiling would not collapse?

A naked corpse and Roman coins left at the entrance. Sounds like a necrophiliac had his way and paid in coins for the service before leaving.

I don't understand how their could be no clothing present.
                                Last edited by Redsun; 11-29-2014, 03:59 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X