Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Redsun
    • Jul 2013

Spitfire post# 317. I'm not an expert but this mosaic when revealed in its entire entity will show a second person on the chariot. Also the hat of the person in front, is typical of Thessaly cavalry.

I cant tell myself, that hat was unique to the Thessalians? Why didn't other surrounding tribes adopt that head-wear?

In 393 the Illyrians attacked Macedonia, Amyntas III hired a small contingent of Thessalian mercenaries to fight for him. I would like to know more but cant find anything worth reading.

That hat, is it just that a hat? I thought the Thessalian cavalry would have had an open faced helmet? It does look as if its too thin to be of armor.

Comment

• Amphipolis
      Banned
      • Aug 2014

Well, if you had read ANY article written internationally about this mosaic, you would know that this figure wearing this type of hat (called petasos) is Hermes Psychopompus, Hermes leading the souls to Hades. The mosaic is probably (waiting to be revealed in its' entirety) a typical representation of the Abduction of Persephone by Hades leading her to the Underworld.

An image google for Hermes and petasos will give you an idea

... and here's an image google for Hermes Hades Persephone (stick to the ancient representations)

Comment

• spitfire
        Banned
        • Aug 2014

Petasos is a hat from Thessaly and it was very popular throughout Greece.

I can see that it is Hermes, I see he has feathers in his legs, there is no doubt about it. The Petasos is what indicates that this mosaic is hardly a Roman one.
        I was talking about Palagia. Where is she?

Again I'm expressing my own, non expert views.

Comment

• SoutherNeighbour
          • Aug 2014

From the Guardian

Comment

• Redsun
            • Jul 2013

NO Amphipolis I have not had the time to read any international news that has to do with the "mosaic". I'm clueless as to why you had mentioned that the figure is Hermes "again" when you had already stated this in post# 312. It would be understandable if you were opposing anything I had said in post# 331 about the character depicted in the mosaic, I never labelled the character and never stated that he was anything other than Hermes.

This is it buddy... As interested as I am in the mosaic, my post was questioning the petasos and the thessalian cavalry mentioned by Spitfire in post# 317.

Spitfire, thank you for your answer. It originated in Thessaly and later became common in the south.

Why is Hermes depicted with a hat anyway? What bright source of light exists in the underworld that one would need a hat to shade their eyes, I have never read mythology.

Comment

• Amphipolis
              Banned
              • Aug 2014

Originally posted by Redsun View Post
              NO Amphipolis I have not had the time to read any international news that has to do with the "mosaic". I'm clueless as to why you had mentioned that the figure is Hermes "again" when you had already stated this in post# 312. It would be understandable if you were opposing anything I had said in post# 331 about the character depicted in the mosaic, I never labelled the character and never stated that he was anything other than Hermes.

This is it buddy... As interested as I am in the mosaic, my post was questioning the petasos and the thessalian cavalry mentioned by Spitfire in post# 317.

Spitfire, thank you for your answer. It originated in Thessaly and later became common in the south.

Why is Hermes depicted with a hat anyway? What bright source of light exists in the underworld that one would need a hat to shade their eyes, I have never read mythology.
              So, it's OK, no problem. I thought there was a misunderstanding on your behalf caused by Spitfire.

Hades (Pluto) is the God of the Underworld. Hermes is flying all-day bringing messages, that's why he needs a hat (I guess).

Comment

• Amphipolis
                Banned
                • Aug 2014

(Google translation of press release)

The person next to the missing man was bearded and Persephone is most certainly represents the abduction of the goddess of Pluto.

Persephone time white robe held at chest height with a white ribbon and has a tragic figure. He raised his left hand upward. According to the announcement: "This youthful female form, with waving red curls, which wears a white robe held with red thin film at breast height. Bring jewelry wrist of her left hand. It is obvious that this is the mythological representation of the abduction of Persephone by Pluto, the presence of the god Hermes as psychopomp, as is customary in such representations. "

Pluto wearing red jacket and yellow Mercury.

As the ministry of Culture: "It's amazing the show not only for the color of wealth, but also for the perfect execution of the project. The performance of the mosaic is presented and the third dimension, particularly in the depiction of psychopomp and Persephone. It is obvious that the show refers to the corresponding and the abduction of Persephone, in the so-called Tomb of Persephone, the royal cemetery at Vergina. But the scene of the abduction of Persephone, is in Aegae mural. "

This is the first time I found a pebble mosaic, a funerary monument.

The dimensions of the mosaic is 4.5 (as other booths) for 3 (width) measures.

With the discovery of the mosaic floor was given the opportunity and the final prop architrave of Caryatids. Of course, they have already begun work to protect the mosaic which:

a. coating styrofoam sheets

b. And over these wainscot

At a height of 40 cm. Above the paneled floor will get access to the fourth place, which will be based on the third row supports.

With the incision made ​​in the damaged part of the mosaic found conditions bearing the floor are: Mortar 8-10 cm as subbase mosaic, below we layer of cobbles 10-12 cm thick, which is founded on bedrock, form hard clayey sand.

In the fourth place namely in the third chamber, is completed prop. No excavation work progressed, because the team dealt with the discovery of the mosaic.

Comment

• Amphipolis
                  Banned
                  • Aug 2014

Press Interview (Google Translation)

Question: What is the relationship can have rape of Persephone to this monument?

K.. Peristeri: The rapture is a very grave matter. We have one more sample of the tomb dating: last quarter of the fourth century .p.Ch.

Question: What relationship can be the representation of the abduction of Persephone by Temenid dynasty.

L.. Mendoni: find the scene of the abduction of Persephone mural in the so-called tomb of Persephone, the royal cemetery at Vergina. We have a second display to Pluto and Persephone in sacred marriage scene, the backrest of the marble throne in the tomb of Eurydice, mother of Philip, in Aegae. The scenes are linked with the cults of the underworld, the Orphic cult-descent into Hades and the Dionysian rites. The current head of the house of Macedon was the archpriest of these cults. I remind you of the recent survey of the National Centre for Scientific Research "Demokritos" for residues of the mask found in the remains of bones of Philip. According to experts was the mask, which he wore on Philip Orphic rites. Therefore, the performance in our case has symbolic importance, which may indicate a relationship of "occupier" of the tomb with the Macedonian house. The political symbolism is very strong in all seasons.

Question: Can the show to draw conclusions about the gender of the deceased.

K.. Peristeri: No we can not

Question: Once we are in mosaic marble door before the main chamber. Such a mosaic predisposes us how important the dead?

K.. Peristeri: Without doubt the deceased was extremely important.

Question: How do you explain the fact that there has been a finding of no moving during the excavation?

K.. Peristeri: We have found mobile as pottery, nails, etc. But we can not put everything in a press release. We can not say found shells or studs. All maintenance and all necessary study.

Question: The city council Serres sends resolution to create a modern museum in Amphipolis and one in Serres.

K.. Peristeri: The theme of the Museum of Serres looking since 2004.

L.. Mendoni: Findings from excavations made ​​here will probably stay here. This discussion is misinformation. Never entered subject movement finding anywhere else, not only from Amphipolis, but anywhere in the country. The policy of the Ministry is, where possible, returned evrimata- even older anaskafes- the place you have found. No excavation find, be removed from the site. I confess that I do not understand how it started and why is such a debate. These are from the devil.

Question: Is there a fourth chamber or crypt?

K.. Peristeri: We're pretty tall. Assumptions can be made. We will have picture after the excavation of the third space.

Question: You mentioned Persephone in the royal cemetery. We can say that is royal tomb?

K.. Peristeri: It's early. We can not say anything if you do not finish the excavation. It is very important. The significance of the monument rises and the mosaic was first found in a funerary monument.

Question: wear in the center of the mosaic of what came? Wear? From grave robbing?

Answer: No there is no logic. But it seems that there is physical damage.

Question: The assumption that the embankments -as archika- say that they had come to the construction of the monument, still valid?

K.. Peristeri: To proceed to dig and will have a more complete picture.

Question: Your colleague, a text with 140 signatures, commenting that criminalize scientists have expressed another opinion about the scientific excavation.

K.. Peristeri: Prefer progresses from excavation to deal out several issues that I malignancies.

Question: How much time do you need more?

K.. Peristeri: No home we build. The excavation leads. That saying is relevant. We do not know to tell you dates. No run, leads the excavation.

Question: Do we stay in the third chamber. A month ago, the geologist who "carrot" to be sent to Switzerland for the dating of the tomb.

K.. Peristeri: Got samples, but have not posted yet. Besides, we can chronologisome them to the grave.

L.. Mendoni: The analysis of geological samples is essential to a modern excavation, as it is necessary to know the geoenvironment the monument. These analyzes will allow we know the exact composition and how to land, to chronologisome sediments. Any dating can be derived from geological type analyzes, results and datings million years. It's completely different data from the historical, archaeological dating.

Comment

• SoutherNeighbour
                    • Aug 2014

And now the logic of the propaganda of the modern Greek state goes as follows

The myth of Persephone is an ancient Greek one which means that the monument is Greek so Amphipolis is Greek which in turn means that Macedonia is Greek .lol

Coupled with the discovery of the ''Athenian'' Caryatids now no-one can deny the Greekness of Macedonia

Everything is settled now hehe
                    Last edited by SoutherNeighbour; 10-16-2014, 01:01 PM.

Comment

• George S.
                      • Aug 2009

yeah even the word athenian is not greek.
                      we have seen the greekness of greece it is not.
                      "Ido not want an uprising of people that would leave me at the first failure, I want revolution with citizens able to bear all the temptations to a prolonged struggle, what, because of the fierce political conditions, will be our guide or cattle to the slaughterhouse"
                      GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

• Constellation
                        • Jul 2014

Originally posted by George S. View Post
                        yeah even the word athenian is not greek.
                        we have seen the greekness of greece it is not.

In Plato's dialogues, there is a possible etymology for Athena.

Comment

• Niko777
                          • Oct 2010

From the Amphipolis tomb

The same scene from Phillip's tomb - Vergina

Comment

• Amphipolis
                            Banned
                            • Aug 2014

Also in the throne of Eurydice (mother of Philip II) in Vergina. The abduction of Persephone, miniature Sphinxes and miniature Caryatides, all appear in the decoration of the throne.

Comment

• George S.
                              • Aug 2009

so is the greek govt going to share all its finds with the world or only a few??Is there freedom of expression in the archaelogical world??HOw much.?
                              "Ido not want an uprising of people that would leave me at the first failure, I want revolution with citizens able to bear all the temptations to a prolonged struggle, what, because of the fierce political conditions, will be our guide or cattle to the slaughterhouse"
                              GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

Working...
                              X