X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dejan
    • Sep 2008

Good updates spitfire
    You want Macedonia? Come and take it from my blood!

A prosperous, independent and free Macedonia for Macedonians will be the ultimate revenge to our enemies.

Comment

• SoutherNeighbour
      • Aug 2014

Meanwhile Peristeri (the scientist in charge) has said yesterday that it would be virtually impossible for looting to take place on the third wall.She actually said that if people tried to enter it then we will find their bones...suggesting that looting is out of the question for the centre of the monument

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
        • Sep 2008

Originally posted by sydney View Post
        I find it strange why the entrance to the tomb would not be marked or carry an inscription announcing who is buried there. Is that not the custom?

And if indeed it is both a grave for fallen soldiers and a memorial of a battle, then why is the epitaph seemingly buried deep inside?
        Interesting questions. I don't recall such an inscription or epitaph at the burial site of Kutlesh / Vergina where the alleged body of Phillip II of Macedon (or one of his sons) was found either.
        In the name of the blood and the sun, the dagger and the gun, Christ protect this soldier, a lion and a Macedonian.

Comment

• Niko777
          • Oct 2010

I read somewhere the it was not common to place inscriptions/names in tombs during those times

Comment

• sydney
            • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Niko777 View Post
            I read somewhere the it was not common to place inscriptions/names in tombs during those times
            It appears that was the case. I also received a message from a forum member (Amphipolis) stating the same.

So it appears to be the custom of the day. But still, if they made these tombs/memorials in a grand manner, it is strange to think they would remain unmarked on the outside.

Comment

• spitfire
              Banned
              • Aug 2014

Originally posted by SoutherNeighbour View Post
              Meanwhile Peristeri (the scientist in charge) has said yesterday that it would be virtually impossible for looting to take place on the third wall.She actually said that if people tried to enter it then we will find their bones...suggesting that looting is out of the question for the centre of the monument
              Bear in mind that even archaeologists compete one another.

Here's another video in HD.

Αμφίπολη - ÎťÎ*α πλάνα από Ď„Îż ελικόπτεĎÎż του ENA CHANNEL Ďε HD - YouTube

Comment

• Amphipolis
                Banned
                • Aug 2014

http://www.yppo.gr/2/g2001.jsp?mult_id=14979

Ten new pictures and a new announcement released 30 minutes ago.

Google Translation
                By removing three rows of limestone sealing wall, in front of the second baffle wall, the whole Karyatids disclosed, which have a height 2,27m. Wearing a long chiton and long fringed robe with rich folds. (Photo 1, 2).

Flying kothornous, which are decorated with red and yellow color, while the fingertips of their feet have been attributed with great detail. (Photo 3, 4).

They stand on a marble pedestals 1.33 M length. and width 0,68m., which have been disclosed, currently at approximately 0.30 m. (Photo 5). The face of the pedestals are formed with coronations and stanchions. Below that, the type of marble lining the walls of all compartments.

The distance between the two piers is 1.68M., And the door opening of the first septal wall with the Sphinxes. (Photo 6 project). On the surface of the base of the eastern Karyatidos, distinct red color. Also, when removing the sandy embankment near the Caryatids found parts of their hands.

In third place was held Drilling sample check by manual drilling in the default locations. (Photo 7). So found a marble doorway, opening 0.96 m., In the north wall. (Photo 8).

In the same area were measured as dry air inside and showed that the content of oxygen species and carbon monoxide is normal. Partly it is only the relative humidity (87%), the temperature ranges from 21,5 - 22,70C.

The above conditions of the microclimate of the third space poses no problem for workers inside.

technical work

Access to the third temple site for installation antistirixis- shoring and excavation process continued systematically preparing parallel actions that are underway.

1 decided by the multidisciplinary team to enter the third area, not made ​​the hole in the upper western part of the third diaphragm wall, but for the ancient entrance. (Photo 9). Therefore, before any work will be deducted from the second backfill space will remove the fallen part of the lintel and ypostylothei doorway between the second and third place, with wooden elements. (Photo 10).

2 will be supported retaining the second place, in a lower level in order to undertake additional external drum triggers, after the removal of the backfill.

3 Prepare a working floor, the removal of soil from the second place, that it is possible to enter long mineral supports and shoring of the third space. Also additional blocks will be removed from the sealing wall, in front of the Caryatids, for installation of the conveyor and the soil removal crane transfer blocks from the third space. (Photo 11).

4 Remove soil at 1m., The first space (almost as floor) and extension of the retaining and shoring, also due to the change of the internal level backfill.

5 Work katavivasmou of backfill, external and just above the monument will take place after the first phase of temporary retaining third-shoring space, before that, to begin the removal of the fill.

6 is underway to study the measures and retaining shoring third area to determine the quantities and positions of the elements-shoring shoring and installation phases, depending on the excavation work.

7 For the treatment of stormwater runoff from the area of the monument, designed the pipeline installation along the major groove, outside the precinct.

8 Carry out geotechnical survey in the area of the monument for the determination of composition and geotechnical properties of geomaterials occurring. The research will be a sufficient number of boreholes and laboratory tests.

You can see the photos here:

Φορούν ποδήρη χιτώνα και μακρύ κροσσωτό ιμάτιο με πλούσιες πτυχώσεις - Βρήκαν πόρτα και στον τέταρτο τοίχο

Last edited by Amphipolis; 09-21-2014, 04:35 AM.

Comment

• SoutherNeighbour
                  • Aug 2014

In all honesty if there is a 4th chamber then I think its virtually impossible for any looting to have taken place.Let's see how it pans out.It will be interesting to see where this mystery leads us.
                  Last edited by SoutherNeighbour; 09-21-2014, 05:11 PM.

Comment

• Niko777
                    • Oct 2010

Comment

• Tomche Makedonche
                      • Oct 2011

My initial thoughts on this find were that whatever it was, it most likely has been pillaged, considering its size and how long it has been around for, I find it hard to believe that it would be left undisturbed for such a period of time. Currently my thoughts still fall on this side of the fence. However, the question of what this structure is, or if it is a tomb, who it could belong to is starting to get my curiosity going. I’m not a historian, so forgive me if I’ve got this totally wrong, but seeing that they date this structure to around the time of Aleksandar III, or shortly post his reign, could this actually be a structure supposedly ordered by Aleksandar as noted by Diodorus?. Again my basic understanding was that Diodorus claimed that Aleksandar provided written instructions to one of his generals, Craterus, to be carried out after his death, which he also claimed his generals found them all too grand to ever fulfil and so they dismissed and abandoned these instructions on that basis. However, among those instructions, again correct me if I get this wrong, were the building of a Temple at Amphipolis, and also the construction of a tomb for his father Filip, which would be as “large as the greatest pyramids of Egypt”. Although it was said that these instructions were never followed through with, coincidentally, we now have this significantly large structure/tomb discovered near Amphipolis, believed to date back post Aleksandar’s death. So I can’t help but wonder that if this account is true regarding the instructions given to Craterus, of all the instructions given by Aleksandar (which also included a grand funeral monument to Hephaestion), which one of these instructions, if any, would his Macedonians, or immediate successors to the throne, most likely have honored?. Personally, if I had to have a guess, considering the instructions and taking into account the significant perimeter of the structure, a grand tomb for his father Filip II would seem a likely candidate here. Of course this is all but speculation on my behalf, but I can’t help but find the discovery intriguing. On the odd chance that it hasn’t been plundered, we may be in for some great artifacts of the ancient world, irrespective of the Greek filter that is undoubtedly being applied.
                      “There’s a time when the operation of the machine becomes so odious, makes you so sick at heart, that you can’t take part, you can’t even passively take part, and you’ve got to put your bodies upon the gears and upon the wheels, upon the levers, upon all the apparatus and you’ve got to make it stop, and you’ve got to indicate to the people who run it, to the people who own it, that unless you’re free, the machine will be prevented from working at all” - Mario Savio

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
                        • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Tomche Makedonche View Post
                        .........could this actually be a structure supposedly ordered by Aleksandar as noted by Diodorus?. Again my basic understanding was that Diodorus claimed that Aleksandar provided written instructions to one of his generals, Craterus, to be carried out after his death, which he also claimed his generals found them all too grand to ever fulfil and so they dismissed and abandoned these instructions on that basis. However, among those instructions, again correct me if I get this wrong, were the building of a Temple at Amphipolis, and also the construction of a tomb for his father Filip, which would be as “large as the greatest pyramids of Egypt”.
                        TM, it has been a while since I have read Diodorus, you don't happen to recall in which chapter this was written, do you? Given that Amphipolis wasn't a capital of Macedonia I doubt the tomb houses a Macedonian king, but I wouldn't write off a Macedonian nobleman. Still too early to tell.
                        In the name of the blood and the sun, the dagger and the gun, Christ protect this soldier, a lion and a Macedonian.

Comment

• Tomche Makedonche
                          • Oct 2011

Talk about putting me on the spot, but I think I managed to find it

Book 18, chapter 4.

Taken from the following link:http://penelope.uchicago.edu/Thayer/...us/18A*.html#1

"4 1 It happened that Craterus, who was one of the most prominent men, had previously been sent away by Alexander to Cilicia with those men who had been discharged from the army, ten thousand in number.18 At the same time he had received written instructions which the king had given him for execution; nevertheless, after the death of Alexander, it seemed best to the successors not to carry out these plans.19 2 For p21when Perdiccas found in the memoranda of the king orders for the completion of the pyre of Hephaestion,20 which required a great deal of money, and also for the other designs of Alexander, which were many and great and called for an unprecedented outlay, he decided that it was inexpedient to carry them out. 3 But that he might not appear to be arbitrarily detracting anything from the glory of Alexander, he laid these matters before the common assembly of the Macedonians for consideration.

4 The following were the largest and most remarkable items of the memoranda. It was proposed to build a thousand warships, larger than triremes, in Phoenicia, Syria, Cilicia, and Cyprus for the campaign against the Carthaginians and the others who live along the coast of Libya and Iberia and the adjoining coastal region as far as Sicily;21 to make a road along the coast of Libya as far as the Pillars of Heracles and, as needed by so great an expedition, to construct ports and shipyards at suitable places; to erect six most costly temples, each at an expense of fifteen hundred talents; and, finally, to establish cities and to transplant populations from Asia to Europe and in the opposite direction from Europe to Asia, in order to bring the largest continents to common unity and to friendly kinship by means of intermarriages and family ties. 5 The temples mentioned above were to be built at Delos, Delphi, and Dodona, and in Macedonia p23a temple to Zeus at Dium, to Artemis Tauropolus at Amphipolis, and to Athena at Cyrnus.22 Likewise at Ilium in honour of this goddess there was to be built a temple that could never be surpassed by any other.23 A tomb for his father Philip was to be constructed to match the greatest of the pyramids of Egypt, buildings which some persons count among the seven greatest works of man.24 6 When these memoranda had been read, the Macedonians, although they applauded the name of Alexander, nevertheless saw that the projects were extravagant and impracticable and decided to carry out none of those that have been mentioned
                          ".

From the above account, there is no mention of where this grand tomb for Filip was to be erected and construction has not been recorded to have gone ahead anyway, but I agree that even if somehow it did go ahead, the location does not make sense for it to be Filip’s tomb, its just the sheer size that made me lean to such a remote possibility, I was just revelling in the fun of the mystery . There are obviously a number of possibilities, if it is a tomb post Aleksandar III, it could belong to one of his generals, such as Nearchus, if the dating was incorrect and it is in fact pre Aleksandar III’s reign, it could possibly be a Thracian king?, or who knows, someone from completely left field like Brasidas of Sparta. At this point in time, the guessing game is at its most forgiving, so why not partake in the fun I say.

I’d be interested to know what your educated guess would be though, if it is a tomb post Aleksandar III, who would you consider are the likely candidates?
                          Last edited by Tomche Makedonche; 09-22-2014, 09:25 AM.
                          “There’s a time when the operation of the machine becomes so odious, makes you so sick at heart, that you can’t take part, you can’t even passively take part, and you’ve got to put your bodies upon the gears and upon the wheels, upon the levers, upon all the apparatus and you’ve got to make it stop, and you’ve got to indicate to the people who run it, to the people who own it, that unless you’re free, the machine will be prevented from working at all” - Mario Savio

Comment

• Amphipolis
                            Banned
                            • Aug 2014

There are obviously a number of possibilities, if it is a tomb post Aleksandar III, it could belong to one of his generals, such as Nearchus, if the dating was incorrect and it is in fact pre Aleksandar III’s reign, it could possibly be a Thracian king?, or who knows, someone from completely left field like Brasidas of Sparta. At this point in time, the guessing game is at its most forgiving, so why not partake in the fun I say.

I’d be interested to know what your educated guess would be though, if it is a tomb post Aleksandar III, who would you consider are the likely candidates?
                            The grave of Brasidas has been found (sealed and unlooted). Not very impressive (the Spartan way).

Comment

• Tomche Makedonche
                              • Oct 2011

Well I did say it was from left field hehe

So whats your take on it?, who are the likely candidates based on your educated opinion?

Comment

• Amphipolis
                                Banned
                                • Aug 2014

Well I did say it was from left field hehe

So whats your take on it?, who are the likely candidates based on your educated opinion?
                                Soldier of Macedon said it's too early to say. I would put it differently, it's too late to say. We soon will know, or we will have the data for a new mystery. In Greece, there's a huge fight between archaeologists Peristeri and Palagia. Most people side with Peristeri, I'm in the middle.

I can see valid points in Palagia's view but also obvious mistakes and a certain obsession. As for Peristeri, she emphasized angrily that 325-300 BC is certain and has all the proofs for it. Everybody guesses she knows something we don't, otherwise she would be really stupid to say this right now.
                                Last edited by Amphipolis; 09-22-2014, 10:10 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X