X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SoutherNeighbour
    • Aug 2014

Originally posted by Philosopher View Post

What I am getting at. There are references posted in this forum about "Macedonians" in the 1500s, 1600s, 1700s, speaking a Slavic language. And so what I am curious about is whether Greeks also identified as Greek Macedonian at this time in history
    Highly doubt it.All this ''macedonophilia'' in Greece started slowly in 1913 and became prominent in the 90's

Comment

• spitfire
      Banned
      • Aug 2014

Originally posted by Philosopher View Post
      I have often wondered, ignoring the issue of ancient history, when did northern Greeks become consciously Macedonian Greeks? Obviously there is bias built into that statement, for it assumes that northern Greeks have only began calling themselves Greek Macedonians in recent history.

What I am getting at. There are references posted in this forum about "Macedonians" in the 1500s, 1600s, 1700s, speaking a Slavic language. And so what I am curious about is whether Greeks also identified as Greek Macedonian at this time in history, and how these people managed to co-exist? And why are there problems now?

And perhaps more importantly, why is that the authors of the writings of the 1500s, 1600s, 1700s, failed to acknowledge or notice Greek Macedonians?
      My sincerest approach so far is that the strong points on the name dispute on behalf of the republic of macedonia are not in antiquity.
      In fact, antiquity belongs to antiquity. As in the aegean belongs to its fish sort of speak.

The strong point, and I am connecting it to the tomb in just a few seconds, is apparent at the begining of the collapse of the ottoman empire and comes to a peak during the Balkan wars.

What I think maybe is suggesting fantasies of mine, but I'll say it anyway. The excavation of the tomb restarded in August because it is probably a reaction to the order of things to come. Probably macedonia entering Nato and the greek side almost agreeing in a name that means there is a state with the name macedonia in the land of north macedonia.
      Or something like that.

But that's just guessing.

Comment

• SoutherNeighbour
        • Aug 2014

Originally posted by spitfire View Post
        My sincerest approach so far is that the strong points on the name dispute on behalf of the republic of macedonia are not in antiquity.
        In fact, antiquity belongs to antiquity. As in the aegean belongs to its fish sort of speak.
        This is also my opinion.Modern Greece had done such a good job capitalising on the Ancient Greek history that it would be close to impossible for Macedonia to win using history.Greece has history on its side (well the falsification of it) which sits well with the international community.

Macedonia on the other hand should focus on the present and stress the importance of self-determination.This one will win you points and it will give u powerful allies in the international community (it has already done so).The history issue should not be a priority for Macedonia when politics come into play

Comment

• Philosopher
          • Sep 2008

Originally posted by spitfire View Post
          Ancient history is somewhat troublesome for both sides, both Macedonians and Greeks. The ancient historians have Macedonians as non-Greeks and Greeks. It all depends on the era and the writers. I believe a clear argument can be made that, in the beginning, Macedonians were not Greek. And that the Greek mythos pertaining to Macedonia started with Alexander I, who claimed to be Greek from his Argive descent. There is no evidence Herodotus believed the region of Macedonia or that Macedonians themselves were Greek and this fact is repeated throughout ancient historical documents. And there is reason to believe Herodotus did not believe that Alexander I was Greek. However, as the mythologies continued to evolve, and the ancient Macedonian kings and aristocracy became quite Hellenized, in the minds of foreigners the Macedonians were associated with Greece.

I strongly believe that this is why Demosthenes called Philip II "not a Greek, nor related to Greeks, but a barbarian" because there was a history of mythologies surrounding the Hellenic origin of the Macedonian kings. In his mind there was no dispute; they were not of Hellenic origin, but clearly fond of Hellenic culture.

I reject outright the typical Greek argument about ancient history.

What I think maybe is suggesting fantasies of mine, but I'll say it anyway. The excavation of the tomb restarded in August because it is probably a reaction to the order of things to come. Probably macedonia entering Nato and the greek side almost agreeing in a name that means there is a state with the name macedonia in the land of north macedonia.
          Or something like that.

But that's just guessing.
          Yes, all these events are connected. And I would not be surprised if some form of falsification ensues.

Comment

• spitfire
            Banned
            • Aug 2014

From my point of view Philosopher, an establishment of who is who and who comes from where is very apparent during the Balkan wars.
            The minute you establish that the residents of today's state of macedonia are related to macedonians of that time, because not so long ago from today there were populations moving or exchanged or deciding on their own which language to speak etc, you automatically connect those populations to the ancient macedonians.

I really think it's that simple.

Comment

• Risto the Great
              • Sep 2008

Famous Macedonia
              the land of Alexander,
              you drove away the barbarians,
              and now you are free!
              Seems a strange song to sing when academia regards Alexander and his "thugs" as THE barbarians.
              Risto the Great
              MACEDONIA:ANHEDONIA
              "Holding my breath for the revolution."

Hey, I wrote a bestseller. Check it out: www.ren-shen.com

Comment

• SoutherNeighbour
                • Aug 2014

Risto ''the barbarians'' was initially ''the bulgarians'' which was dropped after WW2

Comment

• George S.
                  • Aug 2009

we are talking of alexander's time.Greeks considerd us as barbarians. A distinction is made where barbarians didn't practice slavery but greeks had slaves that were bought and sold.
                  "Ido not want an uprising of people that would leave me at the first failure, I want revolution with citizens able to bear all the temptations to a prolonged struggle, what, because of the fierce political conditions, will be our guide or cattle to the slaughterhouse"
                  GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

• Stojacanec
                    • Dec 2009

Originally posted by SoutherNeighbour View Post
                    Risto ''the barbarians'' was initially ''the bulgarians'' which was dropped after WW2
                    I didn't know there were Bulgarians around Alexander's time.

Comment

• Niko777
                      • Oct 2010

^^

Comment

• Bill77
                        • Oct 2009

Originally posted by SoutherNeighbour View Post
                        New press release today from Greece's culture ministry

They found 2 Caryatids .Some amazing pics in the link
                        Caryatids

The Greek term karyatides literally means "maidens of Karyai"

But this one is different........
                        Have a look at this latest find. If this is a maiden, she was one manly looking maiden.

Ps how real does it look? It's almost as he is about to start talking.

Now I can't confirm if this is genuine or just a joke. Probably just a photoshop with intention to be a joke.

Last edited by Bill77; 09-10-2014, 08:22 PM.
                        http://www.macedoniantruth.org/forum/showthread.php?p=120873#post120873

Comment

• spitfire
                          Banned
                          • Aug 2014

Originally posted by Bill77 View Post
                          Caryatids

Now I can't confirm if this is genuine or just a joke. Probably just a photoshop with intention to be a joke.
                          Don't you know the guy depicted here?

The master of bad luck (for others), the unrivaled jinx former Prime Minister of Greece Mr. Mitsotakis.

I think I know what the joke is about. One of his famous lines was that the greeks will forget the name dispute in ten years time. He was prime minister about 25 years ago.

Comment

• George S.
                            • Aug 2009

i knew it does look like him.what a joke.!
                            "Ido not want an uprising of people that would leave me at the first failure, I want revolution with citizens able to bear all the temptations to a prolonged struggle, what, because of the fierce political conditions, will be our guide or cattle to the slaughterhouse"
                            GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

• Nikolaj
                              • Aug 2014

I still don't understand what that photoshoped picture is trying to depict.

Comment

Working...
                              X