Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• George S.
    replied
    I provided allready examples odles of them showing text and words from homers illiad matching it with modern macedonian.I'll explain it to you again.Up until the hellenes came in 800 bc the only greek spoken was attic and prior to that the only writing was lina a or b which wasn't a language or even an alhabet.Of course the greeks adopted the phonecian alphabet around 800 bc.Also they tried to decipher the PELASGIAN language .The language written by homer ,they couldn't it took them a couple of centuriues to dcipher and write it in greek.THe greeks never understood pelagian before as it was a different language just like they didn't understand macedonian as well.It was all confusing babble to them.
    Now think of your timeline you will see how i'm right the greeks claim history of which they call classic but its not theirs.Thats how they come up with 4000 years of greek history when they have only been around for a lesser period.So spifire before you get on your high horse of saying that homers illiad was written in greek it wasn't.Pelagian and greek were different languages and at 800 bc you were just getting your phonecian alphabet.Is it stole or borrowed or hellenised???
    So i'll let you read your own bastardized greek to yourself that's why you call it greek.
    Last edited by George S.; 12-04-2014, 02:54 AM.

Leave a comment:

• spitfire
    replied
    Originally posted by Nikolaj View Post
    You guys weren't aware that learning how to speak Greek proves you're an ancient Athenian? Guys! Please!
    Really? How about Homer? I can understand it. Do you know how do you start the lessons in greek school about Ancient Greek language? They give you the Iliad. Just like that with no preparation at all. Day one.
    Take it, read it and make a meaning of it. That's it.

Originally posted by George S. View Post
    i read that when they changed the language ,the las time they did it had noi rezemblance to ancient greekSo spitfire You claim there are a lot of greek words around.I call it borrowed or copied from other cultures.So don'y be too quick that its all greekUnless they are root wordsJust remember we too have words i'm told are similar in today's words that we call macedonian.Just remember there were illyrians,thracians,pelasgians they all had similar language words to macedonian.THat's why we can understand Homers pelasgian writings in todays macedonian.
    So before you jump on your high horse think of the time frames greeks were not even on the balkan peninsular.Also have you thought of how the greeks colonised everywhere and hellenised everything and in time they adopted as their own.
    When was the language changed βρε Γιώργη and how? You make it sound like it is a different languge when it's not!
    What do you mean by Homer's Iliad? You can actually read the Homeric text in your modern language?

What does it say here?

ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ
    πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν:
    πολλῶν δ᾽ ἀνθρώπων ἴδεν ἄστεα καὶ νόον ἔγνω,
    πολλὰ δ᾽ ὅ γ᾽ ἐν πόντῳ πάθεν ἄλγεα ὃν κατὰ θυμόν,
    ἀρνύμενος ἥν τε ψυχὴν καὶ νόστον ἑταίρων.
    ἀλλ᾽ οὐδ᾽ ὣς ἑτάρους ἐρρύσατο, ἱέμενός περ:
    αὐτῶν γὰρ σφετέρῃσιν ἀτασθαλίῃσιν ὄλοντο,
    νήπιοι, οἳ κατὰ βοῦς Ὑπερίονος Ἠελίοιο
    ἤσθιον: αὐτὰρ ὁ τοῖσιν ἀφείλετο νόστιμον ἦμαρ.
    τῶν ἁμόθεν γε, θεά, θύγατερ Διός, εἰπὲ καὶ ἡμῖν.
    Last edited by spitfire; 12-04-2014, 02:09 AM.

Leave a comment:

• George S.
    replied
    i read that when they changed the language ,the las time they did it had noi rezemblance to ancient greekSo spitfire You claim there are a lot of greek words around.I call it borrowed or copied from other cultures.So don'y be too quick that its all greekUnless they are root wordsJust remember we too have words i'm told are similar in today's words that we call macedonian.Just remember there were illyrians,thracians,pelasgians they all had similar language words to macedonian.THat's why we can understand Homers pelasgian writings in todays macedonian.
    So before you jump on your high horse think of the time frames greeks were not even on the balkan peninsular.Also have you thought of how the greeks colonised everywhere and hellenised everything and in time they adopted as their own.

Leave a comment:

• Nikolaj
    replied
    You guys weren't aware that learning how to speak Greek proves you're an ancient Athenian? Guys! Please!

Leave a comment:

• spitfire
    replied
    Originally posted by Risto the Great View Post
    Are you sure about that? Wasn't Katharevousa finally abandoned in the seventies?

Notwithstanding this, I am very confident you need to look at Greek before about 1850 and Greek after 1850.
    Yes in 1974 I think. I wasn't going to school at the time.

You seem to confuse Katharevousa and demotiki as them being different languages from ancient greek.

Here's an example of a word from Katharevousa that was abandoned and the ancient word was used in demotic, hence today. "Ψάρι" means fish in greek. The scholars of katharevousa tried to "purify" that word and made it "οψάριον" because it resembled in this way a more formal way of saying it.
    Well, that was very funny because they could use the ancient word "Ιχθύς". This word is used today. We may say "ψάρι" for fish but we can't say "ψαροκαλλιέργεια" for fish farming. We say "Ιχθυοκαλλιέργεια"

I can give you as many examples you want in this, provided it is a greek word.

"Αβγό" means egg. "Ωόν" is the ancient greek word. We say "Ωοθήκες" for ovaries.

Bottle, eye, clothes... I can come up with hundreds of examples.

Originally posted by Risto the Great View Post
    My cousins are just punters in Greece trying to earn a dollar like the rest of us. Definitely not scholars. When they say they don't understand all the ancient stuff, I believe them. Some also even say they are proud Greeks too (much to my annoyance). Go figure.

Oh, I can use synthesis too. But I am not Greek.
    Of course you can use synthesis. That's how you understood those fat russians. If you do it methodically then you'd understand more.

I wasn't referring to your cousins when I said snob scholars, but to their teachers. Their snobbiness is reflected elsewhere too. I had quite a few dissagreements with my bosses and the Kids' parents in the past. You see there is a way to teach everything, but the method required differs significantly.
    We can't use this method in teaching english. We'll have to use another approach for vocabulary. Flashcards for instance. Especially when teaching it as a foreign language. We need to take into consideration how the cognitive and incognitive skills of the students work and bind that with the case we are teaching.
    Last edited by spitfire; 12-04-2014, 12:26 AM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X