X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Vangelovski
    • Sep 2008

Sochi Winter Olympics

Doesn't look like Macedonia made it to the winter Olympics again. A few interesting entrants though, like this obscure country called FYROM:

Official information about the National Olympic Committee of North Macedonia
    If my people who are called by my name will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, I will hear from heaven and will forgive their sins and restore their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14

The Revolution was in the minds and hearts of the people; a change in their religious sentiments, of their duties and obligations...This radical change in the principles, opinions, sentiments, and affections of the people was the real American Revolution. John Adams
  • Big Bad Sven
    • Jan 2009

What do you think the chances are of a terrorist attack at these games are?

Comment

• George S.
      • Aug 2009

could be an attack there are quite a number of causes.Shame about Macedonia not participating.
      "Ido not want an uprising of people that would leave me at the first failure, I want revolution with citizens able to bear all the temptations to a prolonged struggle, what, because of the fierce political conditions, will be our guide or cattle to the slaughterhouse"
      GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

• Vangelovski
        • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Big Bad Sven View Post
        No idea really - don't really follow Russian affairs that closely these days.
        If my people who are called by my name will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, I will hear from heaven and will forgive their sins and restore their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14

The Revolution was in the minds and hearts of the people; a change in their religious sentiments, of their duties and obligations...This radical change in the principles, opinions, sentiments, and affections of the people was the real American Revolution. John Adams

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
          • Sep 2008

Some people in Bosnia-Herzegovina are finding it hard to unite behind their country's medal hopefuls at the Sochi games.

Bosnia Struggles To Unite Behind Its Olympic Hopefuls
          SARAJEVO -- The Olympics are traditionally a time for countries to pull together under the national flag.

At the end of January, the Olympic Committee of Bosnia-Herzegovina selected alpine skier Zana Novakovic, an ethnic Serb from the city of Pale in Republika Srpska, Bosnia's ethnic-Serbian entity, to carry the flag at the February 7 opening ceremony in Sochi. The selection created a minor stir in multiethnic Bosnia, where some felt that skier Igor Laikert, of the Muslim-Croat Federation, should have been accorded the honor.

The debate was an echo of the growing pains of a country that declared independence in 1992 amid the collapse of the former Yugoslavia and then experienced a bloody war that pitted the region's main ethnic and religious groups -- Orthodox Serbs, Catholic Croats, and Bosniaks -- against one another in an orgy of violence. Pale, Novakovic's hometown, was the Bosnian Serb wartime capital from which the siege of Sarajevo was directed.

Marija Maja Jurcenko, a pensioner from the northern city of Tuzla, isn't worried about the ethnicity of the athlete who carries the flag. "It doesn't matter to me," she tells RFE/RL's Balkan Service. "I don't think about whether someone is from this or that part of Bosnia. They represent Bosnia-Herzegovina -- that's the way I was taught." Born in Bosnia, she points out that her own mother is from Croatia, her father is from Vojvodina in northern Serbia, and her grandparents are from Ukraine.

Adis Obad, a 42-year-old soccer coach from the city of Konjic, about 60 kilometers south of Sarajevo, takes a similar view when asked if he will be cheering on all five of Bosnia's Sochi athletes. "Of course I will be cheering -- and for everyone, 100 percent equally," Obad says. "There is only one Bosnia-Herzegovina. I don't care what their names are or anything else. It is only important that they succeed and that they represent Bosnia in competitions like this."

But it isn't hard to find less patriotic views. In October, the Bosnian soccer team qualified for its first-ever bid in the World Cup. Sarajevo and much of the rest of the country erupted in celebrations, but the news was greeted largely with indifference in Banja Luka, the main city of the Republika Srpska. The Sarajevo-based website source.ba spoke to fans there at the time.

"We don't much follow Bosnia," one said. "We follow Serbia more. It would have been better if Serbia had qualified." Another added: "I don't feel anything for Bosnia, only for the Republika Srpska."...........
          In the name of the blood and the sun, the dagger and the gun, Christ protect this soldier, a lion and a Macedonian.

Comment

• TrueMacedonian
            • Jan 2009

Code:
            http://www.focus-fen.net/news/2014/02/08/326656/scandal-in-sochi-russia-presents-macedonia-as-part-of-bulgaria-commentaries-from-skopje.html
            Scandal in Sochi: Russia presents Macedonia as part of Bulgaria (Commentaries from Skopje)

Skopje. During the glamorous opening of the Sochi 2014 Winter Olympics last night Russia included Macedonia and Western Thrace to the territory of Bulgaria.
            This is one of the front-burner headlines in the Macedonian media, which showed publications and photos from the Bulgarian media of the map of Bulgaria presented during the opening ceremony.
            “The map of Great Bulgaria appeared on the TV screens during the march of the Bulgarian athletes at the opening of the Sochi 2014 Winter Olympics. The television production is an entirely Russian work – there is no Bulgarian interference,” the media in Skopje comment citing publications in Bulgaria.
            Here are some of the headlines in the Macedonian media:
            Lokalno: “To brotherly nation Russia, Macedonia is part of Bulgaria.”
            Libertas: “According to Russia, Macedonia is part of Bulgaria.”
            Brif: “Scandal in Sochi: Brothers Russians add Macedonia to Bulgaria’s territory.”
            Ekipa: “Macedonia presented as part of Bulgaria during the TV broadcast from Sochi?!”
            MKD News: “Macedonia resented as part of Bulgaria during the TV broadcast from Sochi.”
            Slayer Of The Modern "greek" Myth!!!

Comment

• Big Bad Sven
              • Jan 2009

Originally posted by TrueMacedonian View Post
              Code:
              http://www.focus-fen.net/news/2014/02/08/326656/scandal-in-sochi-russia-presents-macedonia-as-part-of-bulgaria-commentaries-from-skopje.html
              Scandal in Sochi: Russia presents Macedonia as part of Bulgaria (Commentaries from Skopje)

Skopje. During the glamorous opening of the Sochi 2014 Winter Olympics last night Russia included Macedonia and Western Thrace to the territory of Bulgaria.
              This is one of the front-burner headlines in the Macedonian media, which showed publications and photos from the Bulgarian media of the map of Bulgaria presented during the opening ceremony.
              “The map of Great Bulgaria appeared on the TV screens during the march of the Bulgarian athletes at the opening of the Sochi 2014 Winter Olympics. The television production is an entirely Russian work – there is no Bulgarian interference,” the media in Skopje comment citing publications in Bulgaria.
              Here are some of the headlines in the Macedonian media:
              Lokalno: “To brotherly nation Russia, Macedonia is part of Bulgaria.”
              Libertas: “According to Russia, Macedonia is part of Bulgaria.”
              Brif: “Scandal in Sochi: Brothers Russians add Macedonia to Bulgaria’s territory.”
              Ekipa: “Macedonia presented as part of Bulgaria during the TV broadcast from Sochi?!”
              MKD News: “Macedonia resented as part of Bulgaria during the TV broadcast from Sochi.”

LOL

The russians always put the greeks, bulgars and especially the serbs ahead of the macedonians in terms of respect and help.

I would imagine Russia would turn a blind eye if there was any real type of war or invasion of macedonia with one of the orthodox bothers. Just like how they have turned a blind eye of the destruction of the macedonian identity in Aegean macedonia, or the bull shit with the serbian orthodox church etc

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
                • Sep 2008

LOL

The russians always put the greeks, bulgars and especially the serbs ahead of the macedonians in terms of respect and help.

I would imagine Russia would turn a blind eye if there was any real type of war or invasion of macedonia with one of the orthodox bothers. Just like how they have turned a blind eye of the destruction of the macedonian identity in Aegean macedonia, or the bull shit with the serbian orthodox church etc
                I could be wrong, but I think in this situation it has more to do with ignorance by their media than preference for one or other Balkan nation. Russia doesn't give a shit about the Balkans unless there is some sort of political benefit for them. These notions of 'pan-Slavic' and 'pan-Orthodox' brotherhoods are nothing but a myth, as they have largely been. We saw how strong their resolve was in their (lack of) support for the Serbian cause in Kosovo. One good thing that Russia has done for Macedonia is recognize the country by its official name.
                In the name of the blood and the sun, the dagger and the gun, Christ protect this soldier, a lion and a Macedonian.

Comment

• Gocka
                  • Dec 2012

I waited for Macedonia to march out and when they came after Bosnia, as Bivsha (EX) I shut it off. What an utter disgrace that this bullshit still goes on. Fuck the Olympics and fuck Russia too. I didn't even see the bit about Macedonia being included under Bulgaria's territory. Also I dont think it was by accident either, Bulgaria was created and propped up by Russia from day one, it was their proxy state to try and take over the Balkans, so I am not surprised.

When will we start sticking up for ourselves, this is pathetic.

Comment

• Gocka
                    • Dec 2012

I think someone will certainly try, in fact I think someone already tried to hijack a flight from Turkey under the impression it was going to Sochi, the man was detained after he attempted to enter the cockpit.

Like I said I think someone will try but ultimately I doubt anyone will succeed, Russian secret intelligence is actually pretty good, sometimes they are even better then the USA at identifying potential threats, so I think they have it covered.

Comment

Working...
                    X