• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DedoAleko
    • Jun 2009

Islam Banned in Angola

Islam Banned in Angola

While the constitution in Angola guarantees freedom of religion to all of its citizens, this right no longer seems to apply to the followers of the now banned religion of Islam. According to numerous newspapers in Angola, the African nation has banned the Islamic religion. It has become the first country in the world to take such a harsh stance against Muslims.

On November 22, the Angolan Minister of Culture Rosa Cruz e Silva said that “[t]he process of legalization of Islam has not been approved by the Ministry of Justice and Human Rights [and so] their mosques would be closed until further notice.” Why the religion needs to be legalized has not been definitively stated by Cruz e Silva.

Cruz e Silva has also said that the closing of mosques is the most recent move in Angola’s effort to but a stop to so-called illegal religious sects. Under new laws in Angola, many religious sects have suddenly become criminal.

On November 24, Angola President José Eduardo dos Santos said that the country is working toward putting an end to Islamic influence in Angola once and for all. Again, there is no word of what or who has been influenced and why it needs to stop.

The Governor of Luanda, Bento Bento, has said that “radical” Muslims are not welcome in the country and that the Angolan government will not be legalizing mosques or other places of worship for Muslims.
    Islam Banned in Angola

Small African Nation of Angola

The African country of Angola’s citizens primarily practice indigenous religions. Recent surveys show that 47 percent adhere to traditional indigenous beliefs while another 38 percent of the population practice Roman Catholicism and 15 percent practice Protestantism.

The now banned religion of Islam is practiced by a very small percentage of the 18.5 million inhabitants of Angola. Only about 80,000-90,000 Angolans practice Islam. These Muslims are primary migrants from West Africa and Lebanon.

While the means of becoming a “legal religion” is Angola is not clear at this point, the government is very harshly cracking down on the illegal sects. Minister of Culture Rosa Cruz e Silva has made it known that there are nearly 200 different illegal religious sects in Angola so it is not just Islam that has been banned in Angola.

Rosa Cruz e Silva has also said that there are more than 1000 applications that have been submitted by religious groups in an effort to legalize their sects. Islamic groups have made up some percentage of these many applications but it is not clear when or if they will ever be approved. Rosa Cruz e Silva said that the legalization process of Islam has simply not been approved and, therefore, mosques must remain closed “until further notice.”

While some mosque could theoretically reopen again in the future, some are gone forever. After Angola banned Islam, one of the country’s few mosques had its minaret was taken down in October. The city of Zango had its only mosque completely destroyed after the ban as well.

izvor: http://guardianlv.com/2013/11/islam-banned-in-angola/
  • George S.
    • Aug 2009

fundamentalist muslims shouldn't realy exist it benefits no one.Sooner or later if approved will lead to a quagmire.
    "Ido not want an uprising of people that would leave me at the first failure, I want revolution with citizens able to bear all the temptations to a prolonged struggle, what, because of the fierce political conditions, will be our guide or cattle to the slaughterhouse"
    GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

• Risto the Great
      • Sep 2008

Interesting to read how in Malaysia certain cultural practices are being assessed right now in order to determine whether they are acceptable under Islam. This is at government level. Seems strange to deny cultural norms in order to embrace new ones. Then again, I suppose some people were cannibals before embracing Christianity. Whatever gets them through the night I suppose.
      Risto the Great
      MACEDONIA:ANHEDONIA
      "Holding my breath for the revolution."

Hey, I wrote a bestseller. Check it out: www.ren-shen.com

Comment

• Gocka
        • Dec 2012

Originally posted by DedoAleko View Post
        Islam Banned in Angola

While the constitution in Angola guarantees freedom of religion to all of its citizens, this right no longer seems to apply to the followers of the now banned religion of Islam. According to numerous newspapers in Angola, the African nation has banned the Islamic religion. It has become the first country in the world to take such a harsh stance against Muslims.

On November 22, the Angolan Minister of Culture Rosa Cruz e Silva said that “[t]he process of legalization of Islam has not been approved by the Ministry of Justice and Human Rights [and so] their mosques would be closed until further notice.” Why the religion needs to be legalized has not been definitively stated by Cruz e Silva.

Cruz e Silva has also said that the closing of mosques is the most recent move in Angola’s effort to but a stop to so-called illegal religious sects. Under new laws in Angola, many religious sects have suddenly become criminal.

On November 24, Angola President José Eduardo dos Santos said that the country is working toward putting an end to Islamic influence in Angola once and for all. Again, there is no word of what or who has been influenced and why it needs to stop.

The Governor of Luanda, Bento Bento, has said that “radical” Muslims are not welcome in the country and that the Angolan government will not be legalizing mosques or other places of worship for Muslims.
        Islam Banned in Angola

The African country of Angola’s citizens primarily practice indigenous religions. Recent surveys show that 47 percent adhere to traditional indigenous beliefs while another 38 percent of the population practice Roman Catholicism and 15 percent practice Protestantism.

The now banned religion of Islam is practiced by a very small percentage of the 18.5 million inhabitants of Angola. Only about 80,000-90,000 Angolans practice Islam. These Muslims are primary migrants from West Africa and Lebanon.

While the means of becoming a “legal religion” is Angola is not clear at this point, the government is very harshly cracking down on the illegal sects. Minister of Culture Rosa Cruz e Silva has made it known that there are nearly 200 different illegal religious sects in Angola so it is not just Islam that has been banned in Angola.

Rosa Cruz e Silva has also said that there are more than 1000 applications that have been submitted by religious groups in an effort to legalize their sects. Islamic groups have made up some percentage of these many applications but it is not clear when or if they will ever be approved. Rosa Cruz e Silva said that the legalization process of Islam has simply not been approved and, therefore, mosques must remain closed “until further notice.”

While some mosque could theoretically reopen again in the future, some are gone forever. After Angola banned Islam, one of the country’s few mosques had its minaret was taken down in October. The city of Zango had its only mosque completely destroyed after the ban as well.

My head tells me its wrong by my heart said GOOD!

I used to think its not a big deal (Islam) that there is good and bad in all creeds and colors, but lately I'm getting sicked and tired of it (Islam). My issue with it is that it is more then a religion, it overtakes all other aspects of life, to me its more of a cult then a religion that worships god. I think dominantly Christian countries will follow suit sooner or later and I hope they do. Until the majority of muslims denounce and try to get oust radicalism, then I want nothing to do with them.

Comment

• EgejskaMakedonia
          • Jan 2010

Originally posted by Gocka View Post

I used to think its not a big deal (Islam) that there is good and bad in all creeds and colors, but lately I'm getting sicked and tired of it (Islam). My issue with it is that it is more then a religion, it overtakes all other aspects of life, to me its more of a cult then a religion that worships god. I think dominantly Christian countries will follow suit sooner or later and I hope they do. Until the majority of muslims denounce and try to get oust radicalism, then I want nothing to do with them.
          Sounds a lot like Christianity in previous centuries...

Comment

• Phoenix
            • Dec 2008

I doubt that the majority of Muslims are radicals and I doubt that Muslims have more kooks than Christians or any other religious group.

I think the real problem is the growing trend of irresponsible journalism in the Western world, where rare events get reported routinely and routine events get reported rarely.
            Last edited by Phoenix; 11-26-2013, 03:25 AM.

Comment

• United MKD
              • Jul 2011

Originally posted by DedoAleko View Post
              Islam Banned in Angola

Islam Banned in Angola

Angola Respect.

Comment

• Gocka
                • Dec 2012

The majority of muslims are not radicals, only a tiny portion of muslims commit radical acts of violence but: the majority of non radical muslims do not actively try to stomp out the radical elements. To me most of them seem indifferent and sometimes even mildly supportive. That is how I see the albanians in Macedonia as well. Most of them are decent people who would never commits a violent act in their lives, but if you stand around and let a tiny minority commit these violent acts in your name you are no better. Same thing with racism in the American south. How long did it take to really stop the segregation and discrimination of blacks? It wasn't that the majority of the south was racist but the tiny minority of racists ran the show and most decent people just sat and did nothing. That being said muslims come in many shapes and sizes from many countries around the world, and I'm not saying one size fits all, but generally speaking, I personally dont feel like I have seen enough to give the benefit of the doubt and be open and trusting of muslims in general. Would I have a muslim friend? Sure I have many and they are the sweetest people I know, but would I want an entire community moving next door erecting mosques? No, because I have a feeling that the radical elements will soon find their way in also. Maybe its unfair to paint all with one brush because of a rotten few, but at the same time would you live in Afghanistan, Pakistan, Iraq, or pretty much any middle eastern country without fear?

Originally posted by Phoenix View Post
                I doubt that the majority of Muslims are radicals and I doubt that Muslims have more kooks than Christians or any other religious group.

I think the real problem is the growing trend of irresponsible journalism in the Western world, where rare events get reported routinely and routine events get reported rarely.

Comment

• Gocka
                  • Dec 2012

Originally posted by EgejskaMakedonia View Post
                  Sounds a lot like Christianity in previous centuries...
                  I think Christians particularly during the Crusades take the cake is being the most savage in history, but today in the 21st century how many people commit violence in the name of Christianity, and how many in the name of Islam? How many predominantly christian countries would you have fear of living in vs how many predominantly muslim countries would you even consider living in? I dont think its a coincidence.

Comment

• George S.
                    • Aug 2009

there is no immunity from fundalism even in Christianity.A lot of people have died for what they believed.Christians were fed to the lions & all sorts of persecution followed even death.To say it only happens to Christians is not true all sides have committed atrocities.Let him cast a stone that's without sin.
                    "Ido not want an uprising of people that would leave me at the first failure, I want revolution with citizens able to bear all the temptations to a prolonged struggle, what, because of the fierce political conditions, will be our guide or cattle to the slaughterhouse"
                    GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

• EgejskaMakedonia
                      • Jan 2010

I think Christians particularly during the Crusades take the cake is being the most savage in history, but today in the 21st century how many people commit violence in the name of Christianity, and how many in the name of Islam? How many predominantly christian countries would you have fear of living in vs how many predominantly muslim countries would you even consider living in? I dont think its a coincidence.
                      That doesn't really make a whole lot of sense. If it is the basis of the religion to blame then Crusade-like Christian states would still be plentiful. It is simply the people at the helm that use the power of religion for their own benefit, that are to blame.

It's a matter of perspective. The west perceive most Muslim-dominated countries as somewhat of a threat. I'm sure they see us in the same light. America are one of the biggest crooks out, and it's no surprise why a lot of the world dislike them. Personally, I think all states should be secular, with an extended freedom to the people to practise their religion of choice. To ban Islam altogether is wrong. It just seems like a measure to get these '80-90,000' Angolans in check, because with such numbers they are no threat. Had there been a million of them, I highly doubt they'd have the balls to implement this.

The only elements of any religion that should be stamped out and banned are those that the radicals practise. In most cases, they have deliberately misinterpreted the religion as an excuse to muster support and commit hateful crimes. We've seen this with Christianity as well, and it seems the latest victim is Islam.

Comment

• Risto the Great
                        • Sep 2008

But the religion has its own laws. I think it cannot truly exist within a secular framework.
                        Risto the Great

Comment

• Gocka
                          • Dec 2012

You cant seriously tell me that there is no correlation between violence in the middle east and islam. In Christian countries the violence doesn't directly stem from Christianity but in the middle east much if not most of the violence can be directly linked to radical islam and infighting between islamic sects. If we are talking about today, right now then you cant seriously say that Christianity is a violent or dangerous religion in any way, you cant say the same thing about islam. Also how many Christian theocracies exits in the world, and how many islamic theocracies exist? RTG got it spot on above, secularism and islam dont seem to be able to coexist. How often and to what detriment does Christianity have an effect on modern democracy and rule of law? Christian countries are secular, while muslim ones are not for the most part. The crusades happened how many centuries ago, how far have be progressed since then, that is why Crusade like Christian countries dont exist because decent common folk would be against it. Any religion can be used for good and bad, but as I already said if you look at the here and the now then it is clear that Christianity is not causing many if any problems on the world stage with peace, democracy, rule of law and, coexistence while islam is.

Originally posted by EgejskaMakedonia View Post
                          That doesn't really make a whole lot of sense. If it is the basis of the religion to blame then Crusade-like Christian states would still be plentiful. It is simply the people at the helm that use the power of religion for their own benefit, that are to blame.

It's a matter of perspective. The west perceive most Muslim-dominated countries as somewhat of a threat. I'm sure they see us in the same light. America are one of the biggest crooks out, and it's no surprise why a lot of the world dislike them. Personally, I think all states should be secular, with an extended freedom to the people to practise their religion of choice. To ban Islam altogether is wrong. It just seems like a measure to get these '80-90,000' Angolans in check, because with such numbers they are no threat. Had there been a million of them, I highly doubt they'd have the balls to implement this.

The only elements of any religion that should be stamped out and banned are those that the radicals practise. In most cases, they have deliberately misinterpreted the religion as an excuse to muster support and commit hateful crimes. We've seen this with Christianity as well, and it seems the latest victim is Islam.

Comment

• Phoenix
                            • Dec 2008

You cant seriously tell me that there is no correlation between violence in the middle east and islam. In Christian countries the violence doesn't directly stem from Christianity but in the middle east much if not most of the violence can be directly linked to radical islam and infighting between islamic sects. If we are talking about today, right now then you cant seriously say that Christianity is a violent or dangerous religion in any way, you cant say the same thing about islam. Also how many Christian theocracies exits in the world, and how many islamic theocracies exist? RTG got it spot on above, secularism and islam dont seem to be able to coexist. How often and to what detriment does Christianity have an effect on modern democracy and rule of law? Christian countries are secular, while muslim ones are not for the most part. The crusades happened how many centuries ago, how far have be progressed since then, that is why Crusade like Christian countries dont exist because decent common folk would be against it. Any religion can be used for good and bad, but as I already said if you look at the here and the now then it is clear that Christianity is not causing many if any problems on the world stage with peace, democracy, rule of law and, coexistence while islam is.
                            Gocka, I seriously doubt that Islam can be considered a violent and dangerous religion, the problems you've identified are not symptomatic of the religion per se but rather by the violent and criminal minority of its followers.

Comment

• Risto the Great
                              • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Phoenix View Post
                              Gocka, I seriously doubt that Islam can be considered a violent and dangerous religion, the problems you've identified are not symptomatic of the religion per se but rather by the violent and criminal minority of its followers.
                              I have clients working in Arab Muslim countries. They are treated like rubbish and tend to avoid social interaction. The religion does encourage that kind of separation.

I'm in a predominantly Muslim country right now. The girls are wearing tight jeans, eye makeup and lipstick. Oh, they're covering their heads also. Nothing extreme here. I'll let you know if anything changes.

The world needs diversity.
                              Risto the Great

Comment

Working...
                              X