• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Vangelovski
    • Sep 2008

Albanian War Crimes

Families of Macedonian Missing Demand New Prosecution

A new human rights report on Macedonia has brought hope for relatives of people who’ve been missing since the armed conflict between government forces and rebels in 2001.

Encouraged by this week’s Council of Europe report on human rights in Macedonia, families of the missing are calling for the country’s chief prosecutor to reopen the politically-charged ‘Neprosteno’ case.

Ethnic Albanian rebels were accused of kidnapping and killing 12 ethnic Macedonians and one ethnic Bulgarian in the Neprosteno region of the country, but the case was annulled by parliament in 2011.

“The authorities should reopen the case so that we will find the truth and finally be able to properly bury our relatives and punish the perpetrators,” said Vojo Gogovski, whose father is one of those who went missing.

The Council of Europe human rights commissioner’s report on April 9 urged that “every effort be pursued to clarify the fate of those who are still missing”.

The conflict in 2001 saw ethnic Albanian insurgents from the now disbanded National Liberation Army, NLA, battle Macedonian security forces.

It ended after the signing of the Ohrid Peace Accord the same year and an amnesty law was then passed as part of a deal to help reintegrate former rebels into society.

In a highly controversial decision in 2011, parliament scrapped four war crimes cases concerning atrocities alleged to have been committed by the rebels, including Neprosteno.

But many suspected that the decision was part of political bargaining between the main ruling VMRO DPMNE of Prime Minister Nikola Gruevski and its junior Albanian partner, the Democratic Union for Integration, DUI.

The DUI was formed by former NLA leaders, some of whom were suspects in the war crimes cases.

http://www.balkaninsight.com/en/arti...g-persons-case
    If my people who are called by my name will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, I will hear from heaven and will forgive their sins and restore their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14

The Revolution was in the minds and hearts of the people; a change in their religious sentiments, of their duties and obligations...This radical change in the principles, opinions, sentiments, and affections of the people was the real American Revolution. John Adams
  • Phoenix
    • Dec 2008

It's interesting how politics has a sway over fundamental human rights and the respect of law and justice itself. Is this just an issue in Macedonia, I think not.
    These are some of the political machinations that have forged the perceptions of many Macedonians, during and since the 2001 conflict.
    It's these sorts of backroom deals that create the suspicions in examples such as the controversial case of Mr Tarculovski and his subsequent 'heroes' welcome in Macedonia.
    Last edited by Phoenix; 04-18-2013, 02:09 AM.

Comment

• julie
      • May 2009

....."case was annulled by parliament in 2011........ the decision was part of political bargaining between the main ruling VMRO DPMNE of Prime Minister Nikola Gruevski and its junior Albanian partner, the Democratic Union for Integration, DUI......

Says it all, doesnt it.
      The lesser of 2 evils, as they say in RoM - vmro/sdms
      Hang both of them for treason
      "The moral revolution - the revolution of the mind, heart and soul of an enslaved people, is our greatest task."__________________Gotse Delchev

Comment

Working...
      X