• Aug 2009

Why we stopped wearing the hijab

Toronto Star

Toronto Star

Amal Ahmed Albaz

32 mins ago

TWEET

EMAIL

A post published on the so-called University of Queensland White Student Union Facebook page on November 27, 2015.

Aussie Uni's 'White Student Union' slammed as racist

LR2EBBF0S4B0S

France pays tribute to the Paris attack victims

Ryerson University engineering student Mariam Nouser, 20, chose to remove her hijab after an altercation last year but later gained the courage to wear it again.© Cole Burston Ryerson University engineering student Mariam Nouser, 20, chose to remove her hijab after an altercation last year but later gained the courage to wear it again. We often hear stories of why Muslim women choose to wear the hijab — the headscarf. The Star asked some women why they chose to stop wearing it. From safety to spirituality, each woman has her own reasons.

Feeling labeled

Naturally quiet, Kate Kassem was used to flying under the radar. The hijab brought way too much attention, and she didn’t like it.

“I don’t like to draw any attention to myself, but I found that with the hijab, it ended up drawing not just lots of attention, but lots of questions and comments,” she said.

Kassem wore the hijab for eight years and says she struggled for the past three years over whether to continue. She felt that anything she said or did was perceived as representing Islam, even if it wasn’t correct, so she was always walking on eggshells. And if there’s one thing the 25-year-old didn’t like, it was always being labeled.

“Before I met someone or even spoke to them, they’d already have conclusions drawn about me, based on whatever notions they had about Islam.”

Without the hijab, Kassem believes, people look at her differently and are generally friendlier.

Despite the struggles, Kassem says she will put it back on in the future. “It’s tough,” she said, “it was just as hard taking it off as was putting it on — if not harder.”

Modesty standards

Sana Barakat, 20, wore the hijab for five years before she decided to take it off in her final years of high school.

“I felt like I wasn’t fitting in with either community,” she said. She felt judged by some members of the Muslim community for not wearing the hijab to its “modesty standards,” so she felt she “wasn’t doing it right.”

Currently in her third year at the University of Toronto Mississauga, she decided she’ll go back to wearing the hijab after she finishes university.

“The scarf, it looks so simple,” she said. “But it does a lot of things to the woman.”

Because she’s seen both sides, with and without the hijab, she feels she understands it better now. “When I put it on now, I know it’s a responsibility in how I dress and represent myself. I guess I’m just at that comfortable level of figuring out who I am.”

Safety concerns

The day Mariam Nouser was spat on while riding the subway, she no longer felt safe wearing the hijab.

A woman started to yell at her, telling her to go back home.

“If you’re telling me to go home, I can go right back to Etobicoke,” said Nouser. “I was born and raised in Toronto; this is the only home I’d known.”

After the incident, she kept quiet. She didn’t tell anybody — not even her mother — and started contemplating whether she should discontinue wearing the hijab.

“I had to think about it,” she said. “I thought maybe I should focus on my faith first and truly know my religion before I blatantly show that I’m a Muslim.”

But when she decided to take it off, she knew the move wouldn’t be permanent. “I just didn’t feel safe in my own home, which is really sad.”

Nouser, a third-year engineering student at Ryerson University, spent nine hijab-less months before deciding to put it back on. But one thing Nouser noticed when she didn’t wear the hijab was that more people sat next to her on the subway. “It was so strange to notice,” she said. “I’m still the same person.

“My faith is now much stronger and I became much more confident. And as a result, I know I should stand up for my values no matter what.”

Not the right time

When she took off the hijab, Iqra Azhar felt strange.

“It was like I’m missing something,” she said. “Some people didn’t even recognize me.”

After going through an extremely difficult time in her life, she became aware that she had changed. “I realized I’m a different person than the person I used to be when I had it on — I wasn’t being the Muslim I wanted to be.”

Azhar, 27, felt that she had to start from scratch, going back to the basics. “I wanted to get back to my prayers and look back into my heart, because I felt like I had to save my character first.”

Having lived both lives, with and without hijab, she says that while wearing it, she had to work harder for things. “But there was also more respect afterwards,” she reaffirmed. Without it, she says, there’s less pressure to do everything right.

She currently has a collection of more than 200 scarves she cannot part with, as they’ve become a part of her.

“I’m not sure if I will wear it again … it’s just not for me right now.”
    "Ido not want an uprising of people that would leave me at the first failure, I want revolution with citizens able to bear all the temptations to a prolonged struggle, what, because of the fierce political conditions, will be our guide or cattle to the slaughterhouse"
    GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

• King Niko
      • Sep 2015

Honestly this is not meant to come out harsh, nor do I condone the acts that happened in Paris, but I will not support any cause until the world recognizes what happened in Lebanon and Mali and other places being riddled through this horror disease called "hate" mixed with "war".

I am not a liberal or anything, but I cant stand too see so many innocent lives thrown away, and how Muslims get punished for one bad apple.

Allah created everything, so by these "Muslims" or ISIS folk to kill what Allah has created, is one of the biggest sins you can commit.

I will not give any support for the French government, or for the perpetrators, I will only support France, once the world in whole gives condolences too all whom have lost their lives due to the ongoing conflict.

Comment

• Philosopher
        • Sep 2008

Originally posted by King Niko View Post
        Honestly this is not meant to come out harsh, nor do I condone the acts that happened in Paris, but I will not support any cause until the world recognizes what happened in Lebanon and Mali and other places being riddled through this horror disease called "hate" mixed with "war".

I am not a liberal or anything, but I cant stand too see so many innocent lives thrown away, and how Muslims get punished for one bad apple.

Allah created everything, so by these "Muslims" or ISIS folk to kill what Allah has created, is one of the biggest sins you can commit.

I will not give any support for the French government, or for the perpetrators, I will only support France, once the world in whole gives condolences too all whom have lost their lives due to the ongoing conflict.
        Hey Jihad boy, off topic somewhat, but why do you believe Saudi Arabia and other Middle Eastern countries support radical Islam? Why does Saudi Arabia mete out similar punishments as Isis? And why don't the wealthy, oil-rich kingdoms in the Middle East open their borders for their Muslim brothers fleeing the Middle East for Europe?

Comment

• King Niko
          • Sep 2015

Originally posted by Philosopher View Post
          Hey Jihad boy, off topic somewhat, but why do you believe Saudi Arabia and other Middle Eastern countries support radical Islam? Why does Saudi Arabia mete out similar punishments as Isis? And why don't the wealthy, oil-rich kingdoms in the Middle East open their borders for their Muslim brothers fleeing the Middle East for Europe?
          Did Saudi Arabians put Saddam Hussein into power?
          Did Iranians put Assad regime into power?
          Did Iraq put a Shah in Iran that created huge turmoil in the region?

It is simple facts my friend, Europe and USA is a huge underlying root cause to the conflicts occurring in this region, and same with Afghanistan with communism vs capitalism transitioning into Islamic fundamentalist not wanting a western pro put in leader into power.

Europe and USA should have open borders for these refugees imo,

Am I saying they are all good people? No.
          Am I saying that the border countries do not have too open up? No.

All countries should be taking a piece of the pie here,
          but Europe should be taking the bunch.

I am not a "Struggle" boy, I am stating my opinion.

Do not get upset because I view something differently then you, in no way do I support ISIS, or terrorism, whether it be in the middle east through western bombing terrorism, or bombings in France by ISIS terrorism.

Comment

• George S.
            • Aug 2009

Just on the news that truckloads of guns have been smuggled from turkey destined for Belgium.Places like Germany don't know what they are letting themselves in as the immigrants the men raping women.Also there are immigrants looting shops and assaulting shop workers.Also immigrants hide weapons on themselves.Commentators are saying thar civil war will be the outcome in various eu countries.Thats the payback for letting the immigrants in.
            There are numerous examples what the immigrants have done in Lebanon as an example.
            Last edited by George S.; 12-01-2015, 11:26 AM.
            "Ido not want an uprising of people that would leave me at the first failure, I want revolution with citizens able to bear all the temptations to a prolonged struggle, what, because of the fierce political conditions, will be our guide or cattle to the slaughterhouse"
            GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

• George S.
              • Aug 2009

Photos of 'Jihadi Jake' found on ISIL fighter's mobile phone in Iraq

Nine News
               
              <p>McDonald’s Mexico has vowed to prosecute the person who they say put a mouse’s head in one of its patrons’ hamburgers.</p>

McDonald's vows to sue over mouse head in burger

Jitters in Russia as Putin pledges to punish Turkey

New photos have emerged of Australian teenage suicide bomber Jake Bilardi posing with weapons and other ISIL fighters before he blew himself up in Iraq.

The pictures were reportedly found on an ISIL fighter's mobile phone in Ramadi, and circulated through the TerrorMonitor.org Twitter account

New photos have emerged of Australian teenage suicide bomber Jake Bilardi posing with weapons and other ISIL fighters before he blew himself up in Iraq.© 9 News New photos have emerged of Australian teenage suicide bomber Jake Bilardi posing with weapons and other ISIL fighters before he blew himself up in Iraq.
              They show Bilardi brandishing an AK-47, smiling with other fighters and sitting in front of the black ISIL flag.

Melbourne 18-year-old Bilardi, who also went by the pseudonym Abu Abdullah al-Australi, carried out a suicide attack against Iraqi forces in Ramadi in March of this year.

The Iraqi army said the attack was a failure, causing only his own death and damage to a few vehicles.

It is understood Bilardi converted to Islam in 2012, not long after his mother died of cancer, and travelled to Syria in 2014.

His father told 60 Minutes earlier this year his son was just a "shy, lonely young man".
              During the interview Mr Bilardi recounted the final message he received from Jake, a Facebook message from the Middle East that simply read, "Hi Dad, I am very happy to be here".
              Last edited by George S.; 12-01-2015, 11:35 AM.
              GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

• George S.
                • Aug 2009

Photos of 'Jihadi Jake' found on ISIL fighter's mobile phone in Iraq

Nine News

Nine News

1 hour ago

TWEET

EMAIL

<p>McDonald’s Mexico has vowed to prosecute the person who they say put a mouse’s head in one of its patrons’ hamburgers.</p>

McDonald's vows to sue over mouse head in burger

Jitters in Russia as Putin pledges to punish Turkey

New photos have emerged of Australian teenage suicide bomber Jake Bilardi posing with weapons and other ISIL fighters before he blew himself up in Iraq.

The pictures were reportedly found on an ISIL fighter's mobile phone in Ramadi, and circulated through the TerrorMonitor.org Twitter account

New photos have emerged of Australian teenage suicide bomber Jake Bilardi posing with weapons and other ISIL fighters before he blew himself up in Iraq.© 9 News New photos have emerged of Australian teenage suicide bomber Jake Bilardi posing with weapons and other ISIL fighters before he blew himself up in Iraq.
                They show Bilardi brandishing an AK-47, smiling with other fighters and sitting in front of the black ISIL flag.

Melbourne 18-year-old Bilardi, who also went by the pseudonym Abu Abdullah al-Australi, carried out a suicide attack against Iraqi forces in Ramadi in March of this year.

The Iraqi army said the attack was a failure, causing only his own death and damage to a few vehicles.

It is understood Bilardi converted to Islam in 2012, not long after his mother died of cancer, and travelled to Syria in 2014.

His father told 60 Minutes earlier this year his son was just a "shy, lonely young man".
                During the interview Mr Bilardi recounted the final message he received from Jake, a Facebook message from the Middle East that simply read, "Hi Dad, I am very happy to be here".
                GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

• Philosopher
                  • Sep 2008

Did Saudi Arabians put Saddam Hussein into power?
                  Did Iranians put Assad regime into power?
                  Did Iraq put a Shah in Iran that created huge turmoil in the region?
                  Answering a question with a question. I'm not disagreeing that the West has created the problems it has in the Middle East.

It is simple facts my friend, Europe and USA is a huge underlying root cause to the conflicts occurring in this region, and same with Afghanistan with communism vs capitalism transitioning into Islamic fundamentalist not wanting a western pro put in leader into power.
                  We're not debating this. I agree. But answer the questions I posed to you.

Europe and USA should have open borders for these refugees imo,
                  A leap in logic. This is like saying that Hitler endeavored to destroy European Jewry; therefore, Jews should steal Palestine from Palestinians.

Am I saying they are all good people? No.
                  Am I saying that the border countries do not have too open up? No.

All countries should be taking a piece of the pie here,
                  but Europe should be taking the bunch.

I am not a "Struggle" boy, I am stating my opinion.

Do not get upset because I view something differently then you, in no way do I support ISIS, or terrorism, whether it be in the middle east through western bombing terrorism, or bombings in France by ISIS terrorism.
                  Upset? With what exactly? Or with whom?

Answer the questions put forth to you. If it is contrary to Allah's will, why does radical Islam have financial backing by Saudi Arabia and moral support from most Muslim countries and peoples? And why don't these oil-rich Middle Eastern countries open their borders and allow at least one refugee?

Comment

• King Niko
                    • Sep 2015

Originally posted by Philosopher View Post
                    Answering a question with a question. I'm not disagreeing that the West has created the problems it has in the Middle East.

We're not debating this. I agree. But answer the questions I posed to you.

A leap in logic. This is like saying that Hitler endeavored to destroy European Jewry; therefore, Jews should steal Palestine from Palestinians.

Upset? With what exactly? Or with whom?

Answer the questions put forth to you. If it is contrary to Allah's will, why does radical Islam have financial backing by Saudi Arabia and moral support from most Muslim countries and peoples? And why don't these oil-rich Middle Eastern countries open their borders and allow at least one refugee?
                    USA pressured Saudi Arabia into financing most of these groups, and they eventually spun out, because USA could not openly back them as well, but they forced Saudi Arabia into backing them.

Your comparison of Hitler and stuff, confuses me.

All I am saying is, Europe caused this mess, now its time for Europe to pay for the outcome.

It is harsh, but it is the only justifiable way.

Comment

• Philosopher
                      • Sep 2008

USA pressured Saudi Arabia into financing most of these groups, and they eventually spun out, because USA could not openly back them as well, but they forced Saudi Arabia into backing them.
                      I sort of hesitate to continue this discussion, as I am debating with a High School jihadest, but it is important to point out that your whole statement is prima facie stupid.

Saudi Arabia is one the richest oil producing countries in the world; its lobby is one of the most powerful in the US (along with AIPAC); and it is documented that Saudi's have been financing Wahabism, the state-religion in Saudi Arabia, for decades.

That the United States supports certain terrorist Islamists when it is in its interest to do so is a documented fact, but to shift the argument and blame away from Saudi Arabia is ludicrous.

Your comparison of Hitler and stuff, confuses me.
                      I know it does. Learn history.

All I am saying is, Europe caused this mess, now its time for Europe to pay for the outcome.

It is harsh, but it is the only justifiable way.
                      The people of Europe did not create this mess, certain globalist leaders of Europe helped contribute to the problem. This is not a justification to open European borders to Muslim migrants, nor does it explain why all of the surrounding Islamic countries in the Middle East, including Saudi Arabia, have not allowed a single Muslim refugee in.

The only reason you support Europe opening its borders is because you are a brainwashed jihadest and you believe in political Islam. You want Europe to open its borders so Islam can take over.

Comment

• George S.
                        • Aug 2009

Revealed: How ISIS got most of their weapons from the countries now bombing Syria - including Britain

Mirror

Mirror

Steve Robson

53 mins ago

TWEET

EMAIL

ATHENA IMAGE

Air France flight diverted to Montreal after threat

It is not the first time a P-8 has been to Singapore - this one was there for the 2014 Singapore Airshow

US spy plane deployed to Singapore

It comes two days after ISIS released another video warning of further Paris-style attacks on countries taking part in bombing Syria.© AP Photo/Militant Website It comes two days after ISIS released another video warning of further Paris-style attacks on countries taking part in bombing Syria.
                        Britain, France, Russia and the United States provided most of the weapons being used by ISIS to carry out appalling war crimes, a new report claims.

As the UK joins its allies in carrying out airstrikes in Syria, the Government has come in for renewed accusations of having sown the seeds of conflict itself.

A new study by Amnesty International claims much of the weaponry used by Islamic State (IS) fighters was supplied by the same Western powers now trying to bomb it out of existence.

Huge supplies of guns, rifles, mortars and missiles have been flowing into Iraq for years as the state struggled to retain control after British and American forces withdrew.

Read more: Anonymous hackers claim security services 'lack knowledge or manpower' to take down ISIS

Oliver Sprague, Amnesty UK’s Arms Programme Director, said: "Decades of free-flowing arms into Iraq meant that when IS took control of these areas, they were like children in a sweetshop.

"The fact that countries including the UK have ended up inadvertently arming IS, should give us pause over current weapons deals.

"The UK was one of the key supporters of a global Arms Trade Treaty, intended to prevent the proliferation of arms and their use in horrific abuses like IS are committing."

"Risks need to be far more carefully calculated, and we shouldn’t wait for this worst-case-scenario to happen before acting to prevent sales of arms which could fuel atrocities."

Although Soviet Kalshnikovs are the most commonly used, the oldest piece of kit in the IS arsenal is believed to be a British World War One rifle.

Amnesty says IS fighters acquired a windfall of internationally manufactured arms after taking control of Mosul, Iraq’s second largest city, in June, 2014.

They included US-manufactured weapons and military vehicles which they then used to take control of other parts of the country.

Among the advanced weaponry IS has seized are man-portable air defence systems, guided anti-tank missiles and armoured fighting vehicles, as well as assault rifles like the Russian AK series and the US M16 and Bushmaster.

Most of the conventional weapons being used by IS fighters date from the 1970s to the 1990s, including pistols, handguns and other small arms, machine guns, anti-tank weapons, mortars and artillery.

Arms and ammunition used by IS have been traced to at least 25 different countries, the report claims.

Amnesty says IS fighters and other armed groups have also resorted to forging their own improvised weaponry in crude workshops.

Examples include mortars and rockets, improvised hand grenades, explosive devices (IEDs) including car bombs and booby-traps, and even repurposed cluster munitions, an internationally banned weapon.

As a result of its findings, Amnesty is calling on all states to adopt a complete embargo on Syrian government forces, as well as armed opposition groups.
                        GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

• George S.
                          • Aug 2009

the US, France and Britain prepare for war

The Washington Post

Dan Lamothe

'It was traumatic not seeing my own face'

Former 'Hey Dad!' actor Robert Hughes is escorted to his car by a court sheriff as he leaves the Downing Centre court, on March 25, 2014.

Robert Hughes loses appeal against sex offence conviction

An F-16 fighter jet, manufactured by Lockheed Martin Corp., performs an aerial display on the opening day of the 14th Dubai Air Show in November.© Jasper Juinen/Bloomberg An F-16 fighter jet, manufactured by Lockheed Martin Corp., performs an aerial display on the opening day of the 14th Dubai Air Show in November.
                          The rumble started early Tuesday, as one fighter jet after another ascended from a runway here near the Atlantic Ocean and into a bright, clear sky. The mission: Prepare for war against potential adversaries like Russia, which is now patrolling the same skies as the United States over Syria and flexing its muscles in eastern Europe.

The first-ever Trilateral Exercise between the United States, France and Britain has been in planning for several years, but began Dec. 2 over coastal Virginia with a decidedly real-world feel. The U.S Air Force’s F-22 Raptor, the British Royal Air Force Typhoon and the French air force Dassault Rafale have flown dozens of missions each day since the operation started.

Air Force F-15E Strike Eagles and T-38 Talons are flying against them as so-called “Red Air,” providing a notional adversary in training. Tanker planes and an E-3 Sentry, a command-and-control plane commonly known as the AWACS (Airborne Warning and Control System) provide support.

It marks the first time that the Raptor, Typhoon and Dassault Rafale — all of which have flown combat sorties over the Middle East this year — have trained together in an environment with such a large number of aircraft and troops, senior Air Force officials said. The exercise, which concluded Friday, is focused heavily on making sure the different aircraft operate well together, even when facing enemy fighters, anti-aircraft ground weapons and electronic warfare that can take out communications equipment — what the military calls an anti-aircraft, area-denial environment. The fighters represent the most advanced jets in each nation.

“The same kind of deconfliction, the same kind of communication process, is in place here that is in places in the Middle East,” said Gen. Mark Welsh, the U.S. Air Force’s top officer. “Our air forces there do a lot of work to try to stay in communication so that there is less chance for miscommunication, for mistakes, or for confusion that leads to mistakes or bad decisions. And, it’s happening every day in the Middle East just like it is in this exercise.”

But a panel of senior officers from the three nations were quick to draw a distinction this week between current operations in Iraq and Syria and what the allies could face in the future. While Syria and Russia both have some anti-aircraft weapons in Syria now, much of the country has uncontested airspace, allowing the U.S.-led military coalition to strike the Islamic State militant group as it identifies targets.

Recent events have raised concerns about whether that will remain the case. U.S. officials say that the Russian military has worked to make sure their operations over Syria don’t conflict with those of the U.S.-led military coalition, but Russian operations also have proven unpredictable. Last month, a Russian Sukhoi Su-24M bomber briefly crossed into Turkey, prompting a Turkish F-16 to shoot it down.

“For over 10 years or more now, we have been necessarily concentrated on counterinsurgency operations in a relatively benign air environment for our aircraft and our crews,” said British Air Chief Sir Andrew Pulford. “This is a fantastic opportunity to get back into that higher end to concentrate on the contested environment that we have not seen… but is now becoming a far more of a concern and far more of a threat to our air forces.”

Gen. Herbert “Hawk” Carlisle, the commander of the U.S. Air Force’s Air Combat Command at Langley, said that the exercise this week has allowed the air forces to each understand how their partner nation’s most advanced fighter jets work. Flying at hundreds of miles an hour in combat, the pilots must share information about their maneuvers and what information they are gathering through sophisticated sensors, even as they shift from air-to-air missions to air-to-ground combat.

For the time being, that is both helped and complicated by technology. The U.S. F-22 is the only so-called “fifth-generation” fighter now flying combat missions. The designation means it has advanced — and highly classified — sensors and computers that allow its pilot to collect more information on the battlefield than a fourth-generation jet like the Typhoon, Rafale or American F-15s. But the F-22 cannot send encrypted messages to them, said Maj. Justin Anhalt, an F-22 pilot at Langley who focuses on the plane’s future requirements.

The F-22’s communication suite was built that way originally because there was supposed to be a large fleet of them that could send encrypted messages only to each other to help it remain stealthy. But the number of Raptors was cut back from several hundred to 187 by then-Defense Secretary Robert Gates as part of budget cuts in 2009, all but assuring that the Raptor will need to fly alongside older fighter jets in the future.

The service now wants Raptor pilots to be able to send encrypted messages to fourth-generation fighters through a system known as “Link 16,” and has tested a way to do so with Lockheed Martin. For now, though, Raptor pilots must communicate through voice communication on radios — a problem when trying to remain off radar.

Carlisle, without elaborating, said that one of the things covered by training at Langley this week is how the different aircraft can communicate through a variety of means, and what to do when flying in an environment when using voice communication over radios might prove difficult. Air-to-air missiles, ground-to-air missiles and electronic warfare that can jam communication signals all are concern.

“Electronic warfare in many of the other nations and potential adversaries, they spend a lot of time and money to try to figure out how to work through the electronic environment and cause problems,” Carlisle said.

Different aircraft integrated with the F-22 also offer more weapons. Depending on its weapons configuration, the Raptor can carry either eight air-to-air missiles, or two air-to-ground bombs and four missiles, according to Air Force specification sheets. The French and British fighter jets — and other American jets like the F-15 — can carry significantly more, creating a scenario in a contested environment where the stealthy F-22 might be able strike first, before giving way to older jets carrying more ordnance.

“It’s understanding each other’s tactics, and then overlapping those tactics to better influence the fight,” said Anhalt. “When we go up there with Raptors, I will influence a portion of the fight so I can bring the fourth-gen in and get them to use their weapons.”
                          GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
                            • Sep 2008

Among other incidents, such as Paris in November 2015, Brussels in March 2016, Nice in July 2016, Berlin in December 2016, Westminster in March 2017, Manchester in May 2017, etc., now this.

There are "very real concerns" for two of the four Australians&nbsp;caught up in Saturday night's deadly te...

London attack: Police confirm death toll has risen to seven with a further 48 injured

4 June 17

Police have confirmed the death toll from the London terror attack has risen to seven, in addition to the three attackers who were shot dead by police. A further 48 people were injured when three terrorists drove a van into pedestrians on London Bridge shortly after 10pm yesterday (7am today AEST) and then stabbed people in Borough Market. Two Australians have been "directly affected" by the London terror attack, Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull said. Mr Turnbull today said one is known to be in hospital and inquiries are ongoing about the other. Their families have been notified......"Armed response officers then responded very quickly and bravely and confronted the three male suspects who were shot and killed on Borough Market," Assistant Commissioner Mark Rowley, Britain's top anti-terrorism officer, said. "The suspects had been confronted and shot by police within eight minutes of the first call. Police have confirmed the death toll from the London terror attack has risen to seven, in addition to the three attackers who were shot dead by police. A further 48 people were injured when three terrorists drove a van into pedestrians on London Bridge shortly after 10pm yesterday (7am today AEST) and then stabbed people in Borough Market........

'They shouted 'this is for Allah', as they stabbed indiscriminately' - How the London terror attack unfolded

4 JUNE 2017

The attack came out of the blue and out of the night. Beneath the shadow of The Shard, Europe’s tallest skyscraper, terror hit Britain’s streets again. At shortly after 10pm, a white B&Q van being driven at speeds of up to 50 miles per hour mounted the pavement at London Bridge and ploughed into pedestrians, knocking them down like skittles. Reports suggested some victims were thrown into the water of the Thames below. Others may have jumped in in an attempt to avoid the speeding vehicle. The van came to a halt on the south side of the bridge but it wasn’t the end of the carnage. Three men wielding knives 10 inches long began attacking passersby, even entering at least one restaurant to attack Saturday night diners. One report suggested throats had been slashed by the marauders, likely to be Islamic State-inspired terrorists – although that had not been confirmed by the early hours of this morning. One eyewitness spoke of the men shouting “this is for Allah” as they stabbed indiscriminately. The death toll was unclear at first but later rose to six; the number of injured is over 30. At 1.30am on Sunday, a series of explosions, thought to be controlled, were heard at Borough Market, according to Telegraph reporter Kate McCann at the scene. Theresa May declared it a terror incident and is returning to London to chair an urgent meeting of Cobra today. A taxi driver told of the carnage. Giving his name only as Paul, he spoke of seeing several people lying dead or injured on both sides of the road. Pedestrians screamed in terror as they ran for their lives. “It’s happening,” said one young woman as she raced for cover. A taxi driver told LBC radio what he saw: “A van came from London Bridge itself, went between the traffic light system and rammed it towards the steps. It knocked loads of people down. Then three men got out with long blades, 12 inches long and went randomly along Borough High Street stabbing people at random.” What was sadly apparent was that Britain, so shortly after the Manchester Arena bombing, was coming under terrorist attack again. This time, just a few weeks following the Westminster Bridge terrorist atrocity, the capital was being targeted again. “A white van driver came speeding –probably about 50mph – veered off the road into the crowds of people who were walking along the pavement,” said Holly Jones, a BBC reporter at the bridge. “He swerved right round me and then hit about five or six people. He hit about two people in front of me and then three behind. "I’d say there are about four severely injured people. They all have paramedics assisting them at the moment.” Ms Jones told of how she thought some pedestrians had hurled themselves into the Thames to avoid being hit. It is possible that they were flung into the river after being mown down.

The BBC’s Ms Jones spoke to a Frenchwoman who had been injured in the incident. She told Ms Jones: “I don’t know where those other two people are. So the police are checking the Thames. “They were right near the edge of the bridge. It looks potentially they could have been thrown over.” In the dark river below, police boats were despatched to search the river – apparently looking for people who may have been thrown off the bridge. At Borough Market, just along from where the van came to a halt, eyewitnesses spoke of seeing one attacker stab his victim “calmly”. Natalie and Ben were coming up to the entrance of the underground on Borough High Street when they saw lots of people running. The married couple witnessed someone being stabbed. Ben said: “I saw a man in red with quite a large blade, I don’t know the measurement I guess maybe 10 inches. He was stabbing a man… he stabbed him about three times fairly calmly. “It looked [like] the man had maybe been trying to intervene but there wasn’t much that he could do, he was being stabbed quite coldly and he slumped to the ground. The attacker and another man walked off quite “boldly”. “A table was thrown, a bottle was thrown at the individual with the knife and then we heard three gunshots and we ran,” he added. One eyewitness on London Bridge, told the BBC he saw three men stabbing people indiscriminately, shouting “this is for Allah”. The witness, named as Eric, told how he saw a van driving on the pavement with people running out of the way, before three men got out. “They literally just started kicking them, punching them, they took out knives. It was a rampage really,” he said. “They headed down towards Southwark Cathedral towards the bar, and starting running at people. “People at the bar started fighting back. Then the three of them decided to make their way up to the bridge “A woman was staring at them and they started stabbing her. “Throughout the whole way across the bridge, there were people littered across bleeding. People were trying to help each other.” The BBC reported an unnamed eyewitness, a security guard who works across multiple bars and pubs in Borough Market, claiming to have seen a man with a canister strapped to his abdomen. The eyewitness described people running away screaming from three men.
                            In the name of the blood and the sun, the dagger and the gun, Christ protect this soldier, a lion and a Macedonian.

Comment

• Redsun
                              • Jul 2013

Watching the television I remember when these incidents only happened in the middle east, I never thought this could ever happen in the west five years ago.

What about five years from now? What if these attacks become common?

What are they doing to combat terrorism?

Comment

• Tomche Makedonche
                                • Oct 2011

So-called Islamic State has vowed to decapitate &#8216;infidels&#8217; and kill Serbs, Croats and Muslim &#8216;traitors&#8217; in the Balkans in a new threat to the region published in the Bosnian version of the jihadists&#8217; magazine.

ISIS Threatens Terror Campaign in the Balkans

So-called Islamic State has vowed to decapitate ‘infidels’ and kill Serbs, Croats and Muslim ‘traitors’ in the Balkans in a new threat to the region published in the Bosnian version of the jihadists’ magazine.

“No, we swear by Allah, we have not forgotten the Balkans,” the Bosnian version of ISIS’s magazine Rumiyah warned as the terror organisation issued a new threat to the region.

In an article entitled “The Balkans - Blood for Enemies, and Honey for Friends”, the terror group makes direct threats to Serbs and Croats over their roles in the Balkan wars, as well as to Muslim ‘traitors’ to the Islamic faith.

“Soon the soldiers of the caliphate will walk through Belgrade, Zagreb, Sarajevo, Tirana, Pristina, Skopje and other cities, ripping off heads and shedding the blood of infidels,” it warned.

The jihadists caution they have not forgotten that Serbs and Croats fought against Bosnian Muslims in the 1992-95 war.

“Did you think that when you returned home, your hands stained with the blood of Muslims, all that happened ended?” the terror group asked before issuing a warning that the 1990s war was the beginning of the end.

The article continues by saying that all traitors to the Islamic faith in Bosnia, Serbia’s Sandzak region, Albania, Kosovo and Macedonia will be “exterminated” with “sabres and daggers”, unless they return to Islam.

“Your blood is dearer and sweeter to us than that of the Serbs and Croats,” it says.

The authors of the article also make reference to ISIS-linked attacks in Britain, France, Germany and the US; countries that it refers to as stronger than the Balkans but still defenceless.

They say that ISIS has turned these countries from boastful powers into humiliated and scared nations.

“Do not think that you are safe and ready,” they warn.

The Bosnian version of the ISIS magazine has since September last year been justifying the attacks carried out by the terror group throughout the world.

The magazine was issued in several languages, including Arabic, English, Turkish, German and French, by ISIS’s media arm Al-Hayat. Its name means ‘Rome’ and is thought to allude to the fall of the Roman Empire.

Goran Kovacevic, a professor at the Faculty of Criminology and Security Studies at the University of Sarajevo, told BIRN last November that the magazine’s aim is to appeal to poor and unemployed Bosnian Muslims.

According to official data, Bosnia is one of the main regional exporters of jihadists to the Middle East.
                                “There’s a time when the operation of the machine becomes so odious, makes you so sick at heart, that you can’t take part, you can’t even passively take part, and you’ve got to put your bodies upon the gears and upon the wheels, upon the levers, upon all the apparatus and you’ve got to make it stop, and you’ve got to indicate to the people who run it, to the people who own it, that unless you’re free, the machine will be prevented from working at all” - Mario Savio

Comment

Working...
                                X