X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Vangelovski
    • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Philosopher View Post
    All I'm arguing is that Islam is a dangerous religion, but most Muslims are nominal, and don't live by the Quran. And even the ones that do are not likely to commit acts of terrorism for fear of criminal consequences. However, one should be aware of political Islam and its aspirations. Islamists will use tolerance (which is a good thing) against the West until they gain power, in which case no tolerance will be extended to us. This may never happen, but it may happen, and in either instance it is important to know the foundational beliefs of Muslims.
    This is a very important point.

Originally posted by Philosopher View Post
    No, “Jews” are not the ones orchestrating terrorist attacks in France. All I'm arguing is that just because the government in France says IS is responsible does not mean that it is. What I'm hinting at is that intelligence agencies use black-ops, which can make it appear like it was one group when it was another. When state-issued identification cards are left on the scene of the crime, especially when there is no reason for ID cards to be even present, it is usually indicative of what is known in the intelligence community as a “false-flag”. They're plants. You frame your political enemies. So in this instance, it is possible, and probably even likely, that the Paris attacks are not as they appear.
    Most terrorists want to be known and that's why many leave video recordings behind - so they can be "honoured" among their people and their family. I don't see anything suspicious with identity documents been found (though I haven't read up on the exact circumstances).
    If my people who are called by my name will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, I will hear from heaven and will forgive their sins and restore their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14

The Revolution was in the minds and hearts of the people; a change in their religious sentiments, of their duties and obligations...This radical change in the principles, opinions, sentiments, and affections of the people was the real American Revolution. John Adams

Comment

• Philosopher
      • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Vangelovski View Post

Most terrorists want to be known and that's why many leave video recordings behind - so they can be "honoured" among their people and their family. I don't see anything suspicious with identity documents been found (though I haven't read up on the exact circumstances).
      But in this scenario, it turned out that the alleged terrorists were not Syrian migrants, but European Muslims. And yet an alleged fake Syrian passport was found, when no Syrian migrant was involved. It later emerged that the Serbian government arrested a Syrian migrant in Serbia with the same exact fake passport.

In the Charlie Hebdo instance, masked men, who by all appearances sought to hide their identities, managed to leave a driver license in an automobile, which police used to identify them.

Comment

• Gocka
        • Dec 2012

If the Old Testament can be misinterpreted to justify violence, than so can the Quran.

Regardless, the only thing that separates the Western world from most of the rest is the ideals of freedom, liberty, compassion, tolerance, etc. If we give these ideals up, than the terrorists have already won. Yes maybe that tolerance is a weakness, but sometimes you have do what right, not because it easy, but only because its right.

I am still a little fuzzy on the who and why in relation to the Paris attacks? So you are saying it looks like the special forces of a western State or Israel committed the act, why?

Do you really think they needed to kill 130 people to do what ever it is you think they needed to accomplish? And do you really think the government in France is that cold blooded that they would massacre their own civilians like sheep? To what end? The governments in all Western countries have more than enough power and resources to do what ever they want without needing a fake terrorists attack. Can you please elaborate more?

Comment

• Gocka
          • Dec 2012

How so?

If I'm not mistaken you have more extensive knowledge about the middle east and possibly Islam? Can you shed some light about Islam as a religion, have you read the Quran by any chance?

Do you agree with Philosopher on all accounts? Should something particular be done about Muslims?

Comment

• Philosopher
            • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Gocka View Post
            If the Old Testament can be misinterpreted to justify violence, than so can the Quran.
            You are conflating two very different things. It is one thing, in a theocratic system, like Old Testament Israel, to have a strict penal code against violators of God's law, and it is quite another thing for people to murder in the name of God.

Muslim terrorists murder innocent civilians and seek to impose Islamic law on the rest of the world. There are no such concepts in the Old Testament. The violence in the Old Testament is very different, as it based on penal code. It is no different than government exercising capital punishment.

So again, it is not a valid comparison.

Originally posted by Gocka
            Regardless, the only thing that separates the Western world from most of the rest is the ideals of freedom, liberty, compassion, tolerance, etc. If we give these ideals up, than the terrorists have already won. Yes maybe that tolerance is a weakness, but sometimes you have do what right, not because it easy, but only because its right.
            The terrorists have already won, to some degree, because Western governments have already curtailed many freedoms in the name of security. The more acts of terrorism, real or imagined, the greater the loss in civil liberties. The greater expansion of a police state. The greater expansion of a surveillance society.

I am still a little fuzzy on the who and why in relation to the Paris attacks? So you are saying it looks like the special forces of a western State or Israel committed the act, why?
            I said it is possible. With Charlie Hebdo, I am certain it was a black-op, as all evidence points to this.

Do you really think they needed to kill 130 people to do what ever it is you think they needed to accomplish? And do you really think the government in France is that cold blooded that they would massacre their own civilians like sheep? To what end? The governments in all Western countries have more than enough power and resources to do what ever they want without needing a fake terrorists attack. Can you please elaborate more?
            Have you ever researched Operation Gladio? Have you ever researched Operation Northwoods?

To justify the expansion on the War on Terrorism, and the expansion of a surveillance/police state, governments have used in the past black-ops to create fear in the populace. Fear translates into increased government power. This is a documented historical fact.

There are many documented false-flags.

You should do a little research.

Comment

• Vangelovski
              • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Gocka View Post
              How so?

If I'm not mistaken you have more extensive knowledge about the middle east and possibly Islam? Can you shed some light about Islam as a religion, have you read the Quran by any chance?

Do you agree with Philosopher on all accounts? Should something particular be done about Muslims?
              Basically Sharia law (a combination of the Koran, Islamic tradition and a few other concepts) commands Muslims to bring the entire world under sharia law and the Islamic ummah (community). The Koran commands Muslims to kill anyone who doesn't accept Islam or make them pay a special tax. Many Islamists believe that they are guaranteed a place in paradise if they kill a non-believer. Islamists like ISIS take Sharia law and a worldwide ummah very seriously.
              Last edited by Vangelovski; 11-22-2015, 10:11 PM.
              If my people who are called by my name will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, I will hear from heaven and will forgive their sins and restore their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14

The Revolution was in the minds and hearts of the people; a change in their religious sentiments, of their duties and obligations...This radical change in the principles, opinions, sentiments, and affections of the people was the real American Revolution. John Adams

Comment

• Phoenix
                • Dec 2008

...The Koran commands Muslims to kill anyone who doesn't accept Islam or make them pay a special tax...
                I've never heard that before...

Comment

• Vangelovski
                  • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Phoenix View Post
                  I've never heard that before...
                  For example:

But when the forbidden months are past, then fight and slay the pagans wherever ye find them, and seize them, beleaguer them, and lie in wait for them in every stratagem [of war]; but if they repent, and establish regular prayers and practice regular charity, then open the way for them: for God is Oft-forgiving, Most Merciful ~ Sura 9:5
                  and

fight those who believe not in God nor the Last Day, nor hold that forbidden which hath been forbidden by God and His Apostle, nor acknowledge the religion of Truth, [even if they are] of the People of the Book [Christians and Jews], until they pay the jizya [tribute] with willing submission, and feel themselves subdued ~ Sura 9:29
                  The Hadith, which records Muhammad’s words and actions, explains how Muhammad instructed his commander when sent out on an expedition:

when you meet your enemies who are polytheists, invite them to three courses of action. If they respond to any one of these, you also accept it and withhold yourself from doing them any harm. Invite them to [accept] Islam; if they respond to you, accept it from them and desist from fighting against them…If they refuse to accept Islam, demand from them the jizya. If they agree to pay, accept it from them and hold off your hands. If they refuse to pay the tax, seek Allah’s help and fight them ~ Sahih Muslim, Book 19, Number 4294
                  Last edited by Vangelovski; 11-23-2015, 05:39 AM.

Comment

• Philosopher
                    • Sep 2008

Basically Sharia law (a combination of the Koran, Islamic tradition and a few other concepts) commands Muslims to bring the entire world under sharia law and the Islamic ummah (community). The Koran commands Muslims to kill anyone who doesn't accept Islam or make them pay a special tax. Many Islamists believe that they are guaranteed a place in paradise if they kill a non-believer. Islamists like ISIS take Sharia law and a worldwide ummah very seriously.
                    I watched a documentary the other day and in it an Egyptian Christian stated that at one time Egypt was Christian (before the arrival of Islam) and when Islam arrived in Egypt people were given two choices: convert to Islam or pay a tax. Those who did neither were slaughtered.

No such notions exist in the Old Testament.

Comment

• George S.
                      • Aug 2009

Sending ground forces to Syria is 'what Islamic State wants', Greg Hunt say
                      ABC News
                      Stephanie Anderson

French police release photo of third Stade de France suicide bomber.

Third stadium suicide bomber photo released

Officers passed the injured cattle dog puppy onto an animal welfare organisation.

Puppy on the mend after man's alleged assault

Greg Hunt© AAP/ROB BLAKERS Greg Hunt
                      Federal Liberal frontbencher Greg Hunt has spoken out against calls to send ground forces into Syria, stating "that's what Islamic State wants".

Dumped defence minister Kevin Andrews made the call to send Special Forces into Syria to fight Islamic State on the ground today, saying "air strikes alone will not defeat IS".

Mr Hunt has joined colleagues in dismissing the call, telling the ABC's Q&A program that ground forces would be unsustainable.

"There has to be tough action across the border from the air," he said.

"But my view sending an expeditionary force on the ground would be ultimately a quagmire."

Mr Hunt, who is also Federal Environment Minister, defended former prime minister Tony Abbott is his calls for greater action in the Middle East, stating "he is absolutely, as a former prime minister, entitled to present views".

Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull has ruled out unilateral action, today emphasising Australia's air forces.

Mr Turnbull said Australia had already sent six FA-18 Hornets and 250 air personnel, as well as around 300 soldiers to help train Iraqi forces.

"We cannot and should not act unilaterally," he said.

Treasurer Scott Morrison also ruled out acting alone.

"The former defence minister and my colleague Kevin Andrews would be very well aware that in these situations, Australia is not in a position to act unilaterally," Mr Morrison said.

"There's no suggestion from our coalition partners that they are things that they are looking towards, or indeed the Iraqi government is asking for."

Federal Labor frontbencher Anthony Albanese also commented on calls for ground forces, saying that Syrian people had to dominate discussions on the country's future.

"There is no doubt also that there is no role in my view for the Islamic State, or any of its people, in the future of Syria or Iraq," he said.

"Also, of course, you need to work out what the end game is. The end game has to involve the Syrian people, all of the groups there."
                      Last edited by George S.; 11-23-2015, 12:50 PM.
                      "Ido not want an uprising of people that would leave me at the first failure, I want revolution with citizens able to bear all the temptations to a prolonged struggle, what, because of the fierce political conditions, will be our guide or cattle to the slaughterhouse"
                      GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

• George S.
                        • Aug 2009

Turkish F-16 fighter jets shoot down Russian warplane near Syrian border

ABC News

Donald Trump has been slammed for a racist tweet.

Trump slammed for blatantly racist tweet

Bernard Stevemuer's actions mirrorred those of Walter White from 'Breaking Bad'.

Australia's real-life 'Breaking Bad' plotter freed

A Turkish F-16 fighter flies above Turkey.© REUTERS/Murad Sezer A Turkish F-16 fighter flies above Turkey.
                        Turkish fighter jets have shot down a Russian warplane near the Syrian border after it violated Turkey's airspace, military officials say.

Turkish F-16s warned the plane over the airspace violations before shooting it down, a military official said, adding that the plane's origin was not clear.

Two jets were involved in the shooting of the plane after it was warned 10 times in five minutes, Turkey's military said.

Russia's defence ministry told the Interfax news agency that the downed jet was Russian and said Turkish airspace was not violated.

Footage from private broadcaster Haberturk TV showed a warplane going down in flames in a woodland area, a long plume of smoke trailing behind it.

The plane went down in area known by Turks as Turkmen Mountain in northern Syria near the Turkish border, Haberturk said.

Separate footage from Turkey's Anadolu Agency showed two pilots parachuting out of the jet before it crashed.

Turkish F-16s have shot down a Russian warplane near the Syrian border.© Haberturk TV Turkish F-16s have shot down a Russian warplane near the Syrian border. One of the pilots was in the hands of Turkmen forces in Syria who were searching for the other pilot, broadcaster CNN Turk reported, citing local sources.

Russia has repeatedly carried out air strikes in Syria in defence of president Bashar al-Assad.

Turkey called this week for a UN Security Council meeting to discuss attacks on Turkmens in neighbouring Syria, and last week Ankara summoned the Russian ambassador to protest the bombing of their villages.

Ankara has traditionally expressed solidarity with Syrian Turkmens, who are Syrians of Turkish descent.

Turkish prime minister Ahmet Davutoglu has spoken with the chief of military staff and the foreign minister about the developments on the Syrian border, the prime minister's office said in a statement, without mentioning the downed jet.

He has ordered the foreign ministry to consult with NATO, the United Nations and related countries on the latest developments, his office said.

- ABC/Reuters
                        "Ido not want an uprising of people that would leave me at the first failure, I want revolution with citizens able to bear all the temptations to a prolonged struggle, what, because of the fierce political conditions, will be our guide or cattle to the slaughterhouse"
                        GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

• George S.
                          • Aug 2009

Three hundred Australian soldiers sent to help Iraq in the fight against the Islamic State were stalled for weeks due to Baghdad's visa bungling as international players enmeshed in the Syrian war clashed for the first time, risking a dangerous deterioration of the situation.

In a day of rising international tensions over Syria, Turkey shot down a Russian jet that it said had breached its airspace, prompting Moscow to issue a denial and President Vladimir Putin to warn of "serious consequences".

NATO summoned Turkish officials to an emergency meeting as world leaders, including Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull, pleaded for restraint and Russia complained of being stabbed in the back by forces helping the terrorists.

Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull said various players in the battle against Islamic State had their own agendas.© Andrew Meares Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull said various players in the battle against Islamic State had their own agendas. With strategists warning of a "hair-trigger" atmosphere, the downing of the Russian plane has exposed the multiple motives of countries ostensibly battling the Islamic State terror group, but which are furthering their own interests – a fact Mr Turnbull acknowledged was making the security and humanitarian crisis even harder to resolve.

"The various players in that theatre, a number of them have got differing agendas, differing objectives which in some cases overlap and in some cases are in conflict with each other," he said.

"The Turks have got a high level of concern about … fears of Kurdish separatism. The Russians have as a priority the protection or the preservation of the Assad regime [in Damascus]."

But Mr Turnbull insisted that despite the plane's downing, there remained "a strong momentum to a political resolution".

Opposition Leader Bill Shorten said the extreme action by the Turkish airforce reflected the fractious environment.

"It's clear that this part of airspace over Syria or Southern Turkey is crowded, it's dangerous, there's no doubt in my mind we need to have better communication between the people who are sending their warplanes into northern Syria, the Russians and the Turks," he said.

Meanwhile, Defence Minister Marise Payne confirmed that for the second time, bureaucratic sloth by Iraqi immigration officials had held up Australian Defence Force troops even as local forces struggle to beat back the militants who hold key cities in the strife-torn country.

Senator Payne was forced to intervene with Iraqi diplomats in Canberra after the troops' visas became mired in delays at a time when international urgency in fighting the Islamic State is at fever pitch.

As Fairfax Media first reported last year, the 200 commandos who made up Australia's initial "advise and assist" deployment to Iraq were also held up for weeks by visa delays.

Senator Payne told Fairfax Media on Wednesday that "visa processing" was to blame for the delay.

"They're on the way. I don't think they're in place yet. There was a slight delay, but I think they're on the way," she said.

"It was a matter which was raised with me. I followed it up with Iraqi representatives in Australia and I think we're OK."

An Australian solider at the Taji Military Complex in Iraq shows his colours ahead of the Rugby World Cup final last month.© AAP Image/Australian Defence Force, CPL Matthew Bickerton An Australian solider at the Taji Military Complex in Iraq shows his colours ahead of the Rugby World Cup final last month. The 300 Army troops deployed to train local forces at Taji base north of Baghdad were officially farewelled by Defence chiefs at a ceremony in Brisbane on October 31.

But the troops remained stuck in Australia, forcing Defence to extend the existing rotation of those already in Iraq by a fortnight.

Defence said in a statement this had not affected the training mission.

But the bungling raises serious questions about Baghdad's approach to the military assistance being provided by Australia and other countries including the US.

In an interview with Fairfax Media, Senator Payne echoed Mr Turnbull in repeatedly stressing the complexity of the Syria crisis amid differing agendas.

Asked whether that made the US coalition's efforts – to which Australia is the second-largest contributor – hopeless, she said: "I wouldn't agree with that. I think that would be a really unfortunate description to use because the work that we are doing in Iraq and the work we are doing in Syria … is a very important component of this. I think you have to look at the response in a large whole."

Asked why Turkey didn't crack down on foreign fighters passing over its border to Syria, Senator Payne said: "Again I think that's part of recognising the complexity of what we're dealing with. Applying to this challenge our quite dispassionate and basically Western expectations of what should happen or what we think another party should do is a slightly unrealistic approach.

"We have to be able to look at this both from our own perspective and from the perspective of those who are dealing with this in their back yards and quite frankly in their front yards."

The new training deployment mostly from the Army's 7th Brigade, which will serve alongside New Zealand troops, will train local forces in skills including leadership, small unit combat and marksmanship.

This training force makes up the bulk of Australia's efforts on the ground in Iraq.

Separately, the commandos were authorised by the Australian government to go "outside the wire" of bases and advise the Iraqis at the level of battalions, or about 300 to 500 troops.

But this has not happened because the Iraqi government has not approved it, keeping the Australians on bases where sources say their involvement is more restricted.

Asked about this, Senator Payne said: "We have … a set of arrangements, rules by which we're working and legal arrangements by which we're working. We are comfortable with those at the current time, the Iraqi government appears to be comfortable with those at the current time. I don't have any expectation of significant changes in that regard."

The Iraqi embassy did not respond to requests for comment.

Follow us on Twitter
                          GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

• George S.
                            • Aug 2009

Russia says downing of its jet won't deflect it from Syria mission
                            Reuters

Nick Tattersall and Vladimir Soldatkin

Major Crime detectives seize evidence from a Willunga house.

Properties searched over 1998 cold case

US Democratic presidential candidate Vermin Supreme reacts after filing his declaration of candidacy to appear on the New Hampshire primary election ballot.

'Vermin Supreme' joins US presidential race

Russian President Vladimir Putin attends a meeting with Jordan's King Abdullah at the Bocharov Ruchei state residence in Sochi, Russia November 24, 2015© Reuters/POOL Russian President Vladimir Putin attends a meeting with Jordan's King Abdullah at the Bocharov Ruchei state residence in Sochi, Russia November 24, 2015
                            Russia sent an advanced missile system to Syria on Wednesday to protect its jets operating there and pledged its air force would keep flying missions near Turkish air space, sounding a defiant note after Turkey shot down a Russian fighter jet.

The downing of the jet on Tuesday was one of the most serious publicly acknowledged clashes between a NATO member and Russia for half a century, and further complicated international efforts to battle Islamic State militants in Syria.

Russian officials expressed fury over Turkey's actions, and spoke of retaliatory measures that were likely to include curbing travel by Russian tourists to Turkish resorts and some restrictions on trade.

But the Russian response was also carefully calibrated. There was no sign Russia wanted a military escalation, or to jeopardize its main objective in the region: to rally international support for its view on how the conflict in Syria should be resolved.

Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu spoke by phone with Russian counterpart Sergei Lavrov on Wednesday. Turkey's foreign ministry said they would meet soon but Russia's Interfax news agency said Lavrov had not agreed to meet.

"We have no intention of fighting a war with Turkey," Lavrov said. Turkish President Tayyip Erdogan also said Ankara had no intention of escalating tensions with Russia.

Speaking on a trip to the Ural mountains city of Nizhny Tagil, Russian President Vladimir Putin ordered the despatch of an advanced weapons system to Russia's Khmeimim air base in Syria's Latakia province.

"I hope that this, along with other measures that we are taking, will be enough to ensure (the safety) of our flights," Putin told reporters.

The despatch of the weapons, which officials later said would be the S-400 missile system, is likely to be viewed as a stark warning to Turkey not to try to shoot down any more Russian planes.

Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov said Russia was forced to fly missions close to the Turkish border because that was where the militants tended to be located. "(Russia's) operations will continue without doubt," he said.

Russian forces launched a heavy bombardment against insurgent-held areas in Syria's Latakia province on Wednesday, near where the warplane was shot down, rebels and a monitoring group said.

The Russian Su-24 jet downed on Tuesday was hit by missile fire from Turkish aircraft as it flew a mission over Syria near the Turkish border, where the Russian air force has been bombing rebel targets.

Turkey said the plane had encroached on Turkish air space and was warned repeatedly to change course, but Russian officials said the plane was at no time over Turkey.

The crew ejected, and one pilot was shot dead by rebels as he parachuted to the ground. A Russian marine sent to recover the crew was also killed in an attack by rebels. Syrian state media reported the jet's second pilot had been rescued.

Russia's foreign ministry issued a protest over the incident to the Turkish ambassador in Moscow, according to a Russian foreign ministry source.

PATIENCE TESTED

Speaking at a business event in Istanbul, Erdogan said Turkey had made a "huge effort" to prevent an incident like the downing of the Russian aircraft, but that the limits of its patience had been tested.

"We have no intention of escalating this incident. We are only defending our own security and the rights of our brothers," Erdogan said.

Turkey has been angered by Russian air strikes in Syria, particularly those near its border targeting Turkmens, who are Syrians of Turkish descent.

It had repeatedly warned Russia over air space violations and last week summoned the Russian ambassador to protest against the bombing of Turkmen villages.

Erdogan questioned how those Russian strikes squared with Moscow's assertion it is in Syria to combat Islamic State.

"It has been said that they were there to fight Daesh," he said, using an Arabic acronym for Islamic State.

"First of all, the Daesh terrorist organization does not have a presence in this region of Latakia and the north where Turkmens are based. Let's not fool ourselves."

TRADE TIES

Russia and Turkey have important trade ties, and these could be affected in the fallout from the plane incident.

Russian Prime Minister Dmitry Medvedev called the downing of the aircraft a "senseless criminal act."

"The direct consequences could lead to our refusal to take part in a whole raft of important joint projects and Turkish companies losing their positions on the Russian market," Medvedev said in a statement.

Russia is a major exporter of grain and energy to Turkey, and it sends over four million tourists each year to Turkish resorts, second only to the number of German tourists.

The Russian government has already said it will discourage Russian tourists from traveling to Turkey, though the immediate impact will be limited because Turkey is now in the off-season.

Russia imports large volumes of Turkish food products and textiles, and Turkish firms are active in the construction and drinks sectors.

Shares in Enka Insaat, which has construction projects in Russia and two power plants in Turkey using Russian gas, fell for a second day on Wednesday.

Brewer Anadolu Efes, which has six breweries in Russia and controls around 14 percent of the market, also saw its shares fall on Tuesday.

SPONSORING TERRORISTS

Medvedev alleged Turkish officials were benefiting from Islamic State oil sales, a relationship that Russian officials say helps explain why Ankara is not tougher on the militants.

Senior Turkish officials have in the past vehemently denied accusations that Turkey has in any way supported the radical Islamist group. The government says it is doing its best to combat cross-border fuel smuggling, and that it has been able to curb the trade.

The Russian foreign ministry source said the downing of the Russian jet would have an impact not just on bilateral ties but also on multilateral efforts, especially international talks in Vienna to try to find a political solution for Syria's conflict.

"We will without doubt strengthen our anti-terrorist efforts even more and, most importantly, we will more precisely and more specifically ask questions and press for information about who is sponsoring which terrorist organizations and in what way," said the source.

That issue is likely to further complicate the Vienna talks, where Russia and its partners on one side and the United States and its allies on the other have been unable to agree on what constitutes a terrorist group in Syria.

The United States and allied countries have supplied arms and other help to some groups fighting Syrian President Bashar al-Assad which Russia has been bombing on the grounds it considers them terrorist organizations.

(Additional reporting by Humeyra Pamuk, Can Sezer and Ayla Jean Yackley in Istanbul, Seyhmus Cakan in Yayladagi, Turkey, John Davison in Beirut, Maria Kiselyova in Moscow, Paul Carrel and Madeline Chambers in Berlin; writing by Christian Lowe; editing by Philippa Fletcher)
                            GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

• George S.
                              • Aug 2009

Australian Muslim soldier 'labelled a security risk', says he was told he would never be promoted

ABC News

Alex McDonald and Andrew Greene

<p>John F. Kennedy's love letters up for auction. And they weren't for Jackie</p>

John F. Kennedy's secret love letters revealed

Malcolm Turnbull laughs during House of Representatives question time at Parliament House in Canberra

Turnbull laughs off Abbott-led 'insurgency'

The soldier said he had been discriminated against many times during his service.© ABC News The soldier said he had been discriminated against many times during his service. A soldier who converted to Islam says he was branded a "security risk" and told he would never be promoted because of his religion.

The lance bombardier claims he was also excluded from group counselling sessions and told to find another job "if he wanted to practise Islam properly".

As a drone pilot from the 20th Surveillance and Target Acquisition regiment, he spent eight months in Afghanistan in 2011 where he was immersed in the world of military intelligence.

"He's a skilled operator of one of the most technical pieces of equipment we have in the Army," said military lawyer Brian Briggs, who is pursuing a separate compensation claim on behalf of the Brisbane-based soldier.

"He witnessed some pretty atrocious things where he saw people being killed, not on a daily, but certainly on a regular basis.

"How he's being treated is certainly not good enough."

Anthony John (not his real name) enlisted in the army after the September 11 terrorism attacks in 2001. Eight months later he married an Indonesian woman and converted to Islam.

As a serving member of the Australian Defence Force (ADF), he asked not be identified as he feared being targeted by those with an extreme view of Islam.

He believes some of those who serve alongside him fall into that category.

Mr John said he had experienced discrimination repeatedly during his 13-year career, much of it perpetrated by senior army members.

In 2008 — before he joined the surveillance unit — he said a senior army member berated him in front of a group of soldiers.

"My immediate supervisor told me that I would never be deployed or promoted because I'm a security risk," Mr John said. "Because I was a Muslim."

Mr John said he was told he should find another job if he wanted to practise Islam© ABC News / Alex McDonald Mr John said he was told he should find another job if he wanted to practise Islam Soldier's colleague fined over anti-Islamic Facebook post

In 2013, a member of his unit posted on social media that all Muslims were "filthy", "scum" and "worthless".

"If they go overseas with that sort of attitude, in a country where they are predominately Muslim, then we're not really setting a good example for ourselves," Mr John said.

"In fact, we're probably making [ourselves] targets."

Mr John reported the Facebook abuse through his chain of command.

The member responsible was fined $400 and forced to apologise. Mr John said the incident made him deeply unpopular within the regiment.

Last year, he asked to work flexible hours during Ramadan. When his request was refused he approached an Army chaplain for advice.

He said the chaplain suggested he "find another job if he wanted to practise Islam properly".

"I said, 'are you serious?' And he said, 'yes'."

'No evidence' to support discrimination claim

Again he reported the incident internally. But this time he was advised he could be charged with making a vexatious complaint.

Although the Army conceded the conversation had occurred, his commanding officer, Lieutenant Colonel Bede Galvin, said there was no evidence to substantiate his discrimination claim.

His commanding officer suggested it was simply a misunderstanding.

"It clearly was not a misunderstanding between two people," Mr John said.

"I had definitely sought the right advice through the systems available within the military."

The routine inquiry which followed recommended administrative action be taken against Mr John.

The lance bombardier was criticised for using a "religious angle" in his complaint and of being "uncompromising in his expectations".

His commanding officer said there had been "confusion" on both sides and cleared the chaplain of any wrongdoing.

"It was a legitimate complaint," Mr John said. "I hadn't just flown off the handle."

"All I wanted to do was do my job."

He then took his case to the Inspector General of the ADF (IGADF) — an independent body set up to deal with unresolved matters of military justice.

The IGADF found a warrant officer in Mr John's unit had a leadership style that was "incompatible" with the contemporary ADF.

But in a subsequent meeting in June, Lieutenant Colonel Galvin questioned his decision to go outside the chain of command.

"The fact that you went through an anonymous complaint to [IGADF]," Lieutenant Colonel Galvin said, "It would have been very different if you'd given the complaint to me."

"If I don't know about it, I can't do anything about it, and if I lose control of it, I can't help you."

Lawyer Brian Briggs said the alleged discrimination has had a "severe impact" on his client and his family.

"He hasn't been able to celebrate Ramadan with his wife," he said.

"He's been excluded from courses. He wasn't able to participate in group therapy counselling sessions because of his religion.

"I know that [the ADF] will be investigating this because it's not a good look."

ADF should not be demonising Muslims: wife

Mr John's wife has now written to Chief of Army Angus Campbell urging him to intervene.

"Muslims should not be demonised in the Australian Defence Force," she wrote to Lieutenant-General Campbell last month.

She has not received a response.

There are 102 Muslims among the 57,000 permanent members of the ADF.

Mona Shindy, one of the ADF's top-ranking Islamic officers and Navy weapons engineer, expressed concern about the incident involving the chaplain.

"I find it quite alarming to think that a chaplain could say something like that," she said.

The Australian Navy has recently introduced special Islamic dress for female officers, Halal food options and appointed a Muslim chaplain.

"A Muslim lives their life by specific values which are not too different from Defence values," Captain Shindy said.

"Fostering a culture within the Defence Force that is inclusive, that celebrates ... that tapestry of our society is what makes us a truly effective, efficient and powerful force."

The ADF did not respond to a detailed series of questions about the case.
                              GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

• George S.
                                • Aug 2009

Former terrorist Abdurrahman Ayyub warns Australia is 'ticking time bomb' of extremism

ABC News

ABC News

7 hrs ago

TWEET

EMAIL

After 10 days of deliberations the jury in the long-running murder trial of Robert Xie say they are unable to reach a verdict, a Sydney court has heard.

Xie jury unable to reach verdict so far

Joyce's awkward Christmas card

Abdurrahman Ayyub says Australia is failing in its attempts to contain extremism.© ABC News Abdurrahman Ayyub says Australia is failing in its attempts to contain extremism. The former deputy head of the Australian branch of Jemaah Islamiah has described Australia as a "ticking time bomb" as it struggles to contain the spread of radicalism.

Abdurrahman Ayyub was once one of Australia's most-wanted terrorists.

Now he works for Indonesia's anti-terrorism agency, known as the BNPT, on its deradicalisation program.

In the nation's prisons and in the communities, he spreads the message of moderate Islam.

"What Indonesia is doing is recognised by the world now," Mr Ayyub said.

"The counter-terrorism agency working together with former radicals — that's very important, because there's no way a doctrine can change on its own without dialogue."

Australia not addressing radicalised youth: Ayyub

Mr Ayyub entered Australia in the 1990s to recruit and fundraise for Jemaah Islamiah, the terrorist group responsible for the Bali attacks.

He fled Australia after the nightclub bombings in 2002, but insists he had no prior knowledge of the attacks.

He said Australia's counter-terrorism methods were lacking dialogue particularly with the nation's youth.

"Australia is sitting on a time bomb, which means people can quickly turn radical and extreme, even though now they seem calm," Mr Ayyub said.

"What has Australia done in regards to these dialogues for the youth? Someone who was just like I was.

"I am asking the question to Australia: What have you done about deradicalisation?"

Hundreds of Indonesian terrorists await prison release: Bishop

Mr Ayyub's twin brother Abdul Rahim Ayyub was married to Australian-born jihadist Rabiah Hutchinson.

Their Australian child, Mr Ayyub's nephew, is now fighting in Syria.

"My nephew went there — Muhammad Ilyas, the son of Rabiah, he left to join ISIS," Mr Ayyub said.

"How many like that are undetected? How many still hold grudges?"

Australia's Foreign Minister has repeatedly expressed concern about convicted terrorists being released from Indonesia jails.

"A significant number of prisoners in Indonesian prisons who have been convicted of terrorist-related activities will be released. It runs into the hundreds," Julie Bishop said on the sidelines of the UN security council meeting in New York in September.

"And of course, if they've not been rehabilitated, then they pose a serious risk, not only to Indonesia, but to our region."

Indonesia's correctional services body says 41 convicted terrorists have been released from jail this year.

"According to our investigation, these inmates, prisoners, are reformed terrorists," Akbar Hadi Prabowo, a spokesman at the directorate general of correctional facilities, said.

"They have changed their attitude, behaviour and hopefully also their mindset. So they no longer have their old ways, their point of view has changed."

Rehabilitation a 'never-ending cycle'

Senior Indonesia Army commander, Major General Agus Surya Bakti led the nation's deradicalisation efforts as part of the BNPT.

"We remain vigilant," Major General Bakti said.

"The process of deradicalisation is a never-ending cycle.

"The rehabilitation process in the prisons will be continued with rehabilitation process in society."

There are more than 250 terrorists detained in jails across the country.

Umar Patek, who is serving a 20-year sentence for making the explosives used in the deadly 2002 Bali nightclub bombings, is now seen as an Indonesian deradicalisation success story.

Video footage from Porong prison in east Java shows Patek raising the Indonesian flag.

"Who doesn't know Umar Patek," Major General Bakti said.

"He flew the flag, saluted it, it's an extraordinary thing."

There has been no suggestion at this stage that Patek will be released early.

Go to MSN Home
                                GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

Working...
                                X