X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Vangelovski
    • Sep 2008

NSW "Consorting" Laws

A blatant violation of the freedom of association in our own backyard. Technically, anyone with a criminal record isn't allowed to have any friends.

Interesting article on the issue below:

http://ipa.org.au/news/2700/freedom-...he-moral-panic
    If my people who are called by my name will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, I will hear from heaven and will forgive their sins and restore their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14

The Revolution was in the minds and hearts of the people; a change in their religious sentiments, of their duties and obligations...This radical change in the principles, opinions, sentiments, and affections of the people was the real American Revolution. John Adams
  • EgejskaMakedonia
    • Jan 2010

If the law is anything as the article suggests, then it isn't feasible at all. In theory it may sound like a good idea by cutting any links to criminals, but it can't be done. It makes no mention of family relationships being a viable defence which would be ridiculous if they aren't. It could also be disputed on medical grounds. If you shut an individuals social life down, this can potentially cause some form of mental illness.

If the law managed to pass through parliament, then it must have some credibility. Perhaps the article is exaggerating. Either way, it seems like a pretty stupid law.

Comment

• Vangelovski
      • Sep 2008

Originally posted by EgejskaMakedonia View Post
      If the law is anything as the article suggests, then it isn't feasible at all. In theory it may sound like a good idea by cutting any links to criminals, but it can't be done. It makes no mention of family relationships being a viable defence which would be ridiculous if they aren't. It could also be disputed on medical grounds. If you shut an individuals social life down, this can potentially cause some form of mental illness.

If the law managed to pass through parliament, then it must have some credibility. Perhaps the article is exaggerating. Either way, it seems like a pretty stupid law.
      EM, countless idiotic laws have passed through parliament. Never underestimate the stupidity of our elected representatives.
      If my people who are called by my name will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, I will hear from heaven and will forgive their sins and restore their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14

The Revolution was in the minds and hearts of the people; a change in their religious sentiments, of their duties and obligations...This radical change in the principles, opinions, sentiments, and affections of the people was the real American Revolution. John Adams

Comment

• EgejskaMakedonia
        • Jan 2010

Originally posted by Vangelovski View Post
        EM, countless idiotic laws have passed through parliament. Never underestimate the stupidity of our elected representatives.
        That's true, there are a lot of pointless laws out there. I remember reading an article a few years ago about 'pointless laws' in the nanny-state of Victoria. I'm not sure of the situation in the NSW parliament, but on a federal level, a minority government should provide for greater scrutiny over legislation being passed. This should inevitably lead to 'more credible' legislation. That is if political games aren't utilised by the opposition, which unfortunately is the case most of the time.

But yeh, at the end of the day a lot of them are just idiots.

Comment

• George S.
          • Aug 2009

Big brother will dictate your life for you.It's getting more ridiculous.
          "Ido not want an uprising of people that would leave me at the first failure, I want revolution with citizens able to bear all the temptations to a prolonged struggle, what, because of the fierce political conditions, will be our guide or cattle to the slaughterhouse"
          GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

• Vangelovski
            • Sep 2008

Originally posted by EgejskaMakedonia View Post
            on a federal level, a minority government should provide for greater scrutiny over legislation being passed. This should inevitably lead to 'more credible' legislation.
            In theory maybe, but our current minority government has been a disaster, in my view, with narrow interest groups pursuing their own (at times morally perverted) agenda's and forcing the ALP to comply or lose government.

I think that at the end of the day the only thing that can ensure sensible legislation is strong grass roots engagement in the political process with groups and individuals constantly keeping politicians in check and accountable.

Comment

• United MKD
              • Jul 2011

I did Constitutional Law last semester and by quickly skimming through that article this law should not be passed through as it breaches our Constitution. It sounds very much similar to the bikie laws that they have tried to push through but ultimately failed. State governments try to score cheap political points by drafting legislation that significantly curtails innocent people's liberty without appropriate procedural safeguards. Two interesting cases which cover these points are Totani v SA (2010) and Wainohu v NSW (2011).

Comment

• Vangelovski
                • Sep 2008

Originally posted by United MKD View Post
                I did Constitutional Law last semester and by quickly skimming through that article this law should not be passed through as it breaches our Constitution. It sounds very much similar to the bikie laws that they have tried to push through but ultimately failed. State governments try to score cheap political points by drafting legislation that significantly curtails innocent people's liberty without appropriate procedural safeguards. Two interesting cases which cover these points are Totani v SA (2010) and Wainohu v NSW (2011).
                It'll probably be struck down as soon as its challenged, but it shouldn't even get to that point.

Stupid laws should be weeded out by weeding out stupid politicians before they can even get the chance to run for Parliament.

Comment

• EgejskaMakedonia
                  • Jan 2010

In theory maybe, but our current minority government has been a disaster, in my view, with narrow interest groups pursuing their own (at times morally perverted) agenda's and forcing the ALP to comply or lose government.

I think that at the end of the day the only thing that can ensure sensible legislation is strong grass roots engagement in the political process with groups and individuals constantly keeping politicians in check and accountable.
                  I guess it can work both ways. In theory it may provide for greater accountability, but it can also have the opposite effect. As you said, the government may often have to succumb to pressure in some cases in order to maintain their position and avoid a re-election.

I agree with your second paragraph too. It's exactly what is lacking in Macedonia. The government isn't being held accountable for their actions due to minimal public pressure from Macedonians. The Albanians on the other hand have actively applied themselves in the political sphere and are reaping the benefits, which are no doubt severe detriments for the Macedonian people.

Comment

• EgejskaMakedonia
                    • Jan 2010

It'll probably be struck down as soon as its challenged, but it shouldn't even get to that point.

Stupid laws should be weeded out by weeding out stupid politicians before they can even get the chance to run for Parliament.
                    It's easier said than done. There are so many laws out there that aren't even passed by parliament or elected politicians. Delegated legislation is a key example where these useless laws may pass unaccounted for. They still have to abide by restrictions set by parliament, but these unelected individuals are difficult to monitor and pressure from the perspective of an everyday Australian citizen.

Comment

Working...
                    X