X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Big Bad Sven
    • Jan 2009

Macedonians Ridicule Expensive Bridge Fence Revamp

A group of Macedonians offers to stand on a Skopje Bridge as the first "permanent living human fence" after the city announces a steep €1.7-million price-tag for a new bridge fence with traditional folk motifs.

In a spoof performance a group of about 100 Facebook and Tweeter users on Sunday gathered on the bridge in central Skopje saying that for the same money, they should be hired by the authorities to pose as a safety barrier.

"Most of us are unemployed so we figured hiring us would be a much wiser option," one participant told Balkan Insight.

To demonstrate what they said was the absurdity of spending so much money on a new fence for the modestly proportioned bridge over the Vardar River, the group covered the existing fence almost entirely with fake 100-Euro banknote stickers.

"We have one million Euros in stickers here, enough to cover the entire bridge" explained Jasna, another participant.

Having originally announced that the new fence would be expensive because it would be "cast separately with depictions of Macedonian folklore", the city on Sunday changed its story.

In a statement it said that the 1.7 million Euros will also cover reconstruction and strengthening of the bridge, which was erected in the 1930s. The city accused the protestors of being politically motivated.

However, public procurement bureau data shows that the three contracts that the city has signed, worth a total of 1.7 million Euros, have nothing to do with reconstruction.

One contract worth 1,150,000 Euros is for "making and installation of a fence and lampposts". The second worth 310,000 Euros is for "reconstruction of a fence-construction", while the fence designer's fee is 240,000 Euros.

By comparison, the city last year spent considerably less, 800,000 Euros altogether, for the revamp of two other bridges in the central area, both of which are larger and longer than the one currently in question.

The bridge revamp is part of a wider government-funded project, Skopje 2014, that aims to give the neglected, grey-looking centre of the Macedonian capital a more monumental appearance.
    Photo by: Sinisa Jakov Marusic

Drawing inspiration from the architectural styles of Classic Antiquity, the project envisages the construction of almost 20 buildings, including, museums, theatres, concert halls, hotels and administrative offices, as well as a large number of large bronze and marble statues.

Critics have highlighted the project's price tag, which, according to some estimates, may be above 500 million Euros. The government, however, has not given out exact figures; bids were launched in 2010.

Critics say that Macedonia, a small country that has to contend with widespread poverty, with a population of just 2.1 million and an unemployment rate of more than 30 percent, should be spending limited resources differently.
  • Big Bad Sven
    • Jan 2009

Photos from the protest:

I think more effort in organizing protests should be shown on macedonia standing up for itself and against shiptar racism, and also to get rid of the japanese ventilator - not on money being "wasted" on redeveloping a ugly capital city.

Comment

• Vangelovski
      • Sep 2008

This is twice as many that turned up to counter the extremist Albanian demonstrations.
      If my people who are called by my name will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, I will hear from heaven and will forgive their sins and restore their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14

The Revolution was in the minds and hearts of the people; a change in their religious sentiments, of their duties and obligations...This radical change in the principles, opinions, sentiments, and affections of the people was the real American Revolution. John Adams

Comment

• Rogi
        • Sep 2008

They had to print 10,000 of the fake EU100 bank-note stickers...

Comment

• George S.
          • Aug 2009

it's getting more weird & ridiculous & people have right toask for value for money.Not just wasting the money on useless projects.
          "Ido not want an uprising of people that would leave me at the first failure, I want revolution with citizens able to bear all the temptations to a prolonged struggle, what, because of the fierce political conditions, will be our guide or cattle to the slaughterhouse"
          GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

• Risto the Great
            • Sep 2008

Clever Macedonians holding hands.
            Maybe they know it is a bridge to nowhere.
            They look motivated though ... around the same inspiring levels as during the handball or whatever sport thingo win.

Is it me or do you think they look emaciated from the lack of food and the distinct poverty they are enduring?
            Risto the Great
            MACEDONIA:ANHEDONIA
            "Holding my breath for the revolution."

Hey, I wrote a bestseller. Check it out: www.ren-shen.com

Comment

• George S.
              • Aug 2009

yeah rtg some look emaciated.I'm surprised to see anyone calling themselves macedonian protesting at all.Some look like they been eating brad with lard dripping too much.
              "Ido not want an uprising of people that would leave me at the first failure, I want revolution with citizens able to bear all the temptations to a prolonged struggle, what, because of the fierce political conditions, will be our guide or cattle to the slaughterhouse"
              GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

• Volk
                • Sep 2008

I've never seen such big bright smiles during a protest!

I wonder which NGO gave these unemployed protesters money to print fake money?
                Makedonija vo Srce

Comment

• Rogi
                  • Sep 2008

I'm curious, why did they decide to spend money to print 10,000 fake Euro stickers, instead of spend it on a donation to the starving and homeless? Surely that would be a better use of funds.

What could possibly have possessed them to spent a percentage of their NGO budget, on something that is purely about raising some sort of awareness, even if only symbolic, among the population?

... isn't that what they were protesting against?

Comment

• Brian
                    Banned
                    • Oct 2011

Originally posted by Volk View Post
                    I wonder which NGO gave these unemployed protesters money to print fake money?
                    Spot-on, it's just to make the government look bad not that they are not doing a good enough job on their own. Someone's behind it but I doubt it will be macedonians.
                    Last edited by Brian; 06-01-2012, 05:44 PM.

Comment

• Jankovska
                      • Sep 2008

The bridge fence is too expensive and it's another pari perenje ideja na vladata.

Comment

• George S.
                        • Aug 2009

more money wastage just wait till they get in the eu & start borrowing those billions will make greece look trivial by comparison.Whatever happened to living within one's means/??
                        GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

Working...
                        X