X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Soldier of Macedon
    • Sep 2008

19th century voice recording of Otto von Bismarck

An 1889 voice recording of Otto von Bismarck, Germany's Iron Chancellor, has been identified in the US. The sound is distorted, but Bismarck can be heard singing the French national anthem among others.

An 1889 voice recording of Otto von Bismarck, Germany's Iron Chancellor, has been identified in the US. The sound is distorted, but Bismarck can be heard singing the French national anthem among others.

The only known voice recording of Germany's 19th-century "Iron Chancellor," Otto von Bismarck, has been found and attributed to him, after lying in the Thomas Edison archive in New Jersey in the US for nearly 60 years.

On October 7, 1889, at age 74, Bismarck spoke and sang into a wax cylinder phonograph, developed by American inventor Thomas Edison.

"According to me and I have a certain experience, these really are original recordings," said Stephan Puille, from the University of Applied Sciences in Berlin. He, along with Patrick Feaster of Indiana University identified the cylinders, which were previously thought to have disappeared.

'Tribute' to the French

Although the recording is distorted and the humming of the phonograph is almost louder than his voice, Bismarck was clearly singing various German songs, and, surprisingly, La Marseillaise, the French national anthem.

Experts are not sure why he chose to sing another country's anthem, but Germany had defeated France in a war the French had declared 19 years earlier, so Bismarck may have been poking fun at the French.

Puille and his colleagues also said that Bismarck's voice was by no means as high-pitched and feminine as previously thought.

Bismarck is credited with creating a unified German Empire in 1871, of which he became chancellor. He was removed by Kaiser Wilhelm II in 1890.

Edison first developed the cylinder phonograph in the late 1870s. It became the first commercially produced medium for recording and reproducing sound, before the gramophone system muscled in around 1910.
    The only known voice recording of powerful German chancellor Otto von Bismarck, who died in 1898, has been found and authenticated, a German researcher told AFP on Tuesday.

The wax cylinder phonograph recording was made in 1889 by an associate of Thomas Edison, Adelbert Wangemann, at Bismarck's home, Stephan Puille from the University of Applied Sciences in Berlin said.

"According to me and I have a certain experience, these are really original recordings," said Puille, who along with Patrick Feaster of Indiana University "identified these cylinders which were thought to have disappeared."

The New York Times first published the news, saying the recordings had the "Iron Chancellor" reciting "snippets of poetry and songs in English, Latin, French and German," including lines from the French national anthem.

"Bismarck ends the recording with some advice, apparently for his son Herbert, ... to live life in moderation," it said.

The cylinders were found in Edison's laboratory in 1957 but research work on them only began in 2005.
    In the name of the blood and the sun, the dagger and the gun, Christ protect this soldier, a lion and a Macedonian.
  • George S.
    • Aug 2009

amazing i'm surprised the wax cylinders have survived all this time.
    "Ido not want an uprising of people that would leave me at the first failure, I want revolution with citizens able to bear all the temptations to a prolonged struggle, what, because of the fierce political conditions, will be our guide or cattle to the slaughterhouse"
    GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

Working...
    X