X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Onur
    • Apr 2010

Turkey launched air-backed ground operation against PKK in northern Iraq

Yesterday, around 300-400 PKK terrorists crossed the Turkish-Iraqi border and launched an attack to 3 different spots in the city of Hakkari, bordering Iraq. They killed 24 of our soldiers, injured 18 more and escaped to Iraqi soil afterwards.

There was massive protestations all over Turkey, 1000s marched in the streets and Turkish army started an air-backed ground operation to northern Iraq this morning, with around 10.000 commandos on the ground.
    About 10,000 elite Turkish soldiers were taking part in a ground offensive against Kurdish rebels in southeastern Turkey and across the border in Iraq on Thursday, making it the nation's largest attack on the insurgents in more than three years, the military said.

The offensive was began Wednesday after Kurdish rebels carried out raids near the Turkey-Iraq border that killed 24 Turkish soldiers and wounded 18, the insurgents' deadliest one-day attacks against the military since the mid-1990s.

The military said in a statement Thursday that 22 battalions, or about 10,000 soldiers, were taking part in the offensive in southeastern Turkey and northern Iraq, but it did not say how many were in each country.

NTV television said most of the troops were believed to be in Iraq.

It was Turkey's largest such offensive since February 2008, when thousands of ground forces staged a weeklong offensive into Iraq on snow-covered mountains.

The military said the soldiers in the current operation are commandos, special forces and paramilitary special forces — making it an elite force trained in guerrilla warfare. They are being reinforced by F-16 and F-4 warplanes, Super Cobra helicopter gunships and surveillance drones.

Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan refused to share details of the military's offensive. The military only said the offensive was concentrated in five separate areas it did not identify.

"Our goal is to achieve results with this operation," Erdogan told a nationally televised news conference. "The military is determinedly carrying out this (operation), both from the air and the ground."

The military said the offensive was launched because the rebels had staged Wednesday's deadly simultaneous attacks on eight separate targets, including military and police outposts.

In its first comment since those attacks and the start of Turkey's offensive, Iraq's government on Thursday condemned the rebel attacks and promised to stop them from using Iraqi territory for future attacks against Turkey.

"The Iraqi government stresses again that Iraq will not be a haven or a shelter to any foreign armed and terrorist group," the Iraqi Foreign Ministry said in a statement on its website, adding that both Baghdad and the regional Kurdish government in northern Iraq "are committed to secure the borders" to prevent the repetition of such attacks.

A senior Iraqi Kurdish official, Nechirvan Barzani, was in Ankara and expected to be received by Erdogan shortly.

The Kurdish rebel attack outraged many Turks and fueled nationalist sentiment. Thousands of high school students, carrying Turkish flags, marched in the streets of the Turkish capital on Thursday.

"Tooth for tooth, blood for blood, vengeance!" students chanted in support of the military as they marched through the affluent Tunali Hilmi district. At one point, the students stopped traffic to sing the national anthem as some shopkeepers joined them and passers-by stood still in respect.

Turkey's Kurdish rebel conflict has killed tens of thousands of people since the insurgents took up arms for autonomy in the country's Kurdish-dominated southeast in 1984.

Associated Press writers Suzan Fraser in Ankara and Sameer N. Yacoub in Baghdad, Iraq contributed.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/...7df4c4a5ec0424

I don't think AKP government can start this operation without the permission and allowance of US officials. So, i guess that this will be a limited operation in the end, maybe clearing few shelters and hiding spots of PKK members close to the Turkish border and thats it. I don't expect more than that in reality but this will surely be enough to take the heat and anger out of the Turkish people.

To be able to eradicate PKK, we have to crush kurdish regime in northern Iraq who supports terrorism in Iran, Syria, Turkey and Iraq by recruiting kurdish youth for PKK and supporting them in every possible way. Ofc this is something undesirable for USA/CIA and impossible to realize by the AKP government.
  • Volk
    • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Onur View Post
    Yesterday, around 300-400 PKK terrorists crossed the Turkish-Iraqi border and launched an attack to 3 different spots in the city of Hakkari, bordering Iraq. They killed 24 of our soldiers, injured 18 more and escaped to Iraqi soil afterwards.

There was massive protestations all over Turkey, 1000s marched in the streets and Turkish army started an air-backed ground operation to northern Iraq this morning, with around 10.000 commandos on the ground.

I don't think AKP government can start this operation without the permission and allowance of US officials. So, i guess that this will be a limited operation in the end, maybe clearing few shelters and hiding spots of PKK members close to the Turkish border and thats it. I don't expect more than that in reality but this will surely be enough to take the heat and anger out of the Turkish people.

To be able to eradicate PKK, we have to crush kurdish regime in northern Iraq who supports terrorism in Iran, Syria, Turkey and Iraq by recruiting kurdish youth for PKK and supporting them in every possible way. Ofc this is something undesirable for USA/CIA and impossible to realize by the AKP government.
    Pressure is being placed on Turkey to counteract the fall of the greek state, the Kurds are a pawn for this..
    Makedonija vo Srce

Comment

• Zarni
      Banned
      • May 2011

My goodluck follow the Turkish Defenders you have our support

Comment

• George S.
        • Aug 2009

Good luck onur i hope you get those trouble makers.If you got crack commandos stationed to the border i think it's good as solved.
        Macedonia instead of sending troops to afghanistan for waste of time maybe they can send some to stop border incursions.I'm sure our wolves would be happy to kick some kurdish ass.
        Last edited by George S.; 10-20-2011, 09:56 AM. Reason: ed
        "Ido not want an uprising of people that would leave me at the first failure, I want revolution with citizens able to bear all the temptations to a prolonged struggle, what, because of the fierce political conditions, will be our guide or cattle to the slaughterhouse"
        GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

• DedoAleko
          • Jun 2009

Originally posted by Volk View Post
          Pressure is being placed on Turkey to counteract the fall of the greek state, the Kurds are a pawn for this..
          I apologize for the offtopic, but people mention the same thing very often. What I don't understand is how greece can benefit with the destibilatisation of the region-Turkey,Macedonia,Kosovo etc. ?

Comment

• Onur
            • Apr 2010

Thanks to all of you.

This latest PKK attack was first of it`s kind, involving around ~400 terrorists, attacking 3 different spots at the same time (a border post, housing complex for the families of the policemen, a police station) and using the heavy artillery, rockets, bombs, grenades and everything. PKK is a 30 year old organization but some people are suspicious about whether the CIA`s Blackwater mercenary forces in Iraq training the PKK terrorists or not because this was something beyond their capability.

Our border with Iraq has been drawn by the British after WW-1 and it`s worst ever for Turkey. All the border is right on the edge of a mountain and nothing can be seen in Iraqi side. The mountains and hills completely blocks the view from Turkish side. The only way to see the Iraqi side is drones, remote control planes. Ofc these are not flying for 24 hours either, so it`s quite easy for PKK to approach to our border, get pass on the small passages on the mountains, launch their attack and return to the Iraq afterwards.

Originally posted by DedoAleko View Post
            I apologize for the offtopic, but people mention the same thing very often. What I don't understand is how greece can benefit with the destibilatisation of the region-Turkey,Macedonia,Kosovo etc.?
            Ehmm, DedoAleko, isn't it absurd that you are asking this question while Greek politicians are in fear about losing Aegean Macedonia because there are a country called Macedonia right at the north of it. And while Papandreu openly says that he is waking up every morning wondering if Turkey invaded the Aegean islands during the night???

Comment

• George S.
              • Aug 2009

If turkey was fighting greece the end product would be macedonia would get its aegean macedonia.We should learn to be greatfull to our friends.If that should happen (wishfull thinking) we should work with turkey for the betterment of the balkans.Together they would not need eu membership as they can find prosperity themselves.
              Last edited by George S.; 10-20-2011, 02:19 PM. Reason: e
              "Ido not want an uprising of people that would leave me at the first failure, I want revolution with citizens able to bear all the temptations to a prolonged struggle, what, because of the fierce political conditions, will be our guide or cattle to the slaughterhouse"
              GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

• Risto the Great
                • Sep 2008

The Kurds are pawns in this region.
                Onur, do you personally believe there may have been any USA influence seeking to destabilise Turkey? I don't think so but I have no doubt the USA is heavily involved with the Kurds in northern Iraq.
                Risto the Great
                MACEDONIA:ANHEDONIA
                "Holding my breath for the revolution."

Hey, I wrote a bestseller. Check it out: www.ren-shen.com

Comment

• cultea
                  Banned
                  • Jul 2011

Originally posted by George S. View Post
                  If turkey was fighting greece the end product would be macedonia would get its aegean macedonia.We should learn to be greatfull to our friends.If that should happen (wishfull thinking) we should work with turkey for the betterment of the balkans.Together they would not need eu membership as they can find prosperity themselves.
                  Well, actually you can't invade Macedonia, because (cough, cough) Albania, Turkey and our other NATO allies will prevent you.

Comment

• DedoAleko
                    • Jun 2009

Originally posted by Onur View Post
                    Ehmm, DedoAleko, isn't it absurd that you are asking this question while Greek politicians are in fear about losing Aegean Macedonia because there are a country called Macedonia right at the north of it. And while Papandreu openly says that he is waking up every morning wondering if Turkey invaded the Aegean islands during the night???
                    If you are talking about full scale war,it is debatable even if Turkey can pull that off, but Macedonia doesn't stand a chance! Our neighbours will eat us alive! Just like so many times in the past!
                    Not to mention Germany,France,England,..."greece" is their baby,they will sure not stand aside!

Comment

• julie
                      • May 2009

Originally posted by cultea View Post
                      Well, actually you can't invade Macedonia, because (cough, cough) Albania, Turkey and our other NATO allies will prevent you.
                      Thessa. Cough, cough.
                      Be afraid. Be very afraid.
                      "The moral revolution - the revolution of the mind, heart and soul of an enslaved people, is our greatest task."__________________Gotse Delchev

Comment

• julie
                        • May 2009

Onur
                        Sorry to hear about Turkish losses
                        Hope Turkey is able to knock it on the head
                        "The moral revolution - the revolution of the mind, heart and soul of an enslaved people, is our greatest task."__________________Gotse Delchev

Comment

• Phoenix
                          • Dec 2008

More power to the Kurds...

I find it sadly and disturbingly ironic that many Macedonians are supporting Turkey over the Kurdish fight for independence and the formation of a free and sovereign Kurdish state.

All peoples deserve a home state and sovereignty and freedom, I am surprised that Macedonians, of all people on this planet can't see this.

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
                            • Sep 2008

Phoenix, would you agree to a part of Turkey being seperated to realise this Kurdish state? Or would it be sufficient enough to grant them full minority rights? I think the Kurdish area in Iraq has more of a chance for autonomy or independence and will be 'easier' to achieve - not that either option is really 'easy' in any case. Macedonians can look at the Turkish-Kurdish situation from both angles, one from a liberation POV, the other from a state security POV.
                            In the name of the blood and the sun, the dagger and the gun, Christ protect this soldier, a lion and a Macedonian.

Comment

• George S.
                              • Aug 2009

Cultea remember your country greece is in nato & they don't participate because they are wusses they might lose soldiers.What makes you think that the rest of nato will rush to your aid.There are vested interests.That's why even greece doesn't trust nato otherwise they wouldn't buy all those 400 tanks..So greece is getting ready for such a scenario.
                              GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

Working...
                              X