• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TrueMacedonian
    • Jan 2009

Eagleburger-Greece has Zero right to dispute over Macedonia's name

Eagleburger: Greece has Zero right to dispute over Macedonia's name
    Thursday, 23 September 2010

The name dispute is unnecessary and unfounded, since Macedonia was called the same in the time of former Yugoslavia and this did not cause any problems then, says former U.S. Secretary of State, Lawrence Eagleburger.

"The country that is now named Macedonia was called the same during its existence as a republic within the former Yugoslavia. Did this fact lead to serious problems between Greece and Yugoslavia or between Greece and the Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia? There were misunderstandings now and then, but they never reached a point when they would pose a threat to peace in the region. Is there anything more immature and more foolish than 'blackmailing' a nation by denying its membership in international organizations, which goal is to preserve the peace and protect their members from aggression of non-members", says Eagleburger in an interview with NTV station.

Pertaining to Greek accusations that Macedonia is creating 'antiquisation', Eagleburger stresses it has no right to make the antique Macedonian history its own.

"Greece claims that Macedon or Macedonia, as well as Alexander of Macedonia are its own. This is a false claim and it is time someone confirms this. The Antique Greeks considered Macedonia a half-civilized region, representing a source of raw materials and nothing more. Macedonia's rise in the time of Phillip and his son Alexander was greeted with opposition, resulting in a defeat of several cities. Phillip and Alexander were considered tyrants who destroy Greeks' freedom. The claims of modern Greeks that the antique kingdom of Macedon was their own ignores a huge historic fact", adds Eagleburger.

Due to these facts, he cannot accept the validity of Greece's request for ownership of name Macedonia.

"Antique Greeks had never been eager in claiming Macedonia was theirs and they never accepted either Phillip or Alexander as their own legitimate rulers. The Greek claim about Macedonia is based on historically incorrect information and are therefore not fact-based", says the former U.S. Secretary of State.

Eagleburger has sympathies for the Macedonian people, although he realizes it is not wise for a foreigner to interfere with internal affairs of two states.

"However, my excitement from the strength of character that the Macedonian people has demonstrated in the course of this debate justifies the fact of my taking sides", underlines Lawrence Eagleburger in the NTV interview.
    Slayer Of The Modern "greek" Myth!!!
  • George S.
    • Aug 2009

I don't think that greece cares any more for the name as it's only a sudden move to counteract the republic of macedonia.Greece wants to be able to dictate to macedonia what their name should be.Originally greece was much tougher & demanded that macedonia should not call itself macedonia as greece had a monopoly on the name.Eg greek is macedonian.That is why greece called macedonia fyrom as greece does not want the world to know that there is another macedonia.Also greece wants macedonia to simply compromise on it's own name.
    "Ido not want an uprising of people that would leave me at the first failure, I want revolution with citizens able to bear all the temptations to a prolonged struggle, what, because of the fierce political conditions, will be our guide or cattle to the slaughterhouse"
    GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

• Frank
      Banned
      • Mar 2010

That is nice to hear but the Macedonian Govt continues to ignore the fact it is talking and talking means everyone expects you to change your name a simple really core logic principle those dick heads dont get

Comment

• makedonche
        • Oct 2008

Originally posted by TrueMacedonian View Post
        http://macedoniaonline.eu/content/view/16524/2/

Eagleburger: Greece has Zero right to dispute over Macedonia's name
        Thursday, 23 September 2010

The name dispute is unnecessary and unfounded, since Macedonia was called the same in the time of former Yugoslavia and this did not cause any problems then, says former U.S. Secretary of State, Lawrence Eagleburger.

"The country that is now named Macedonia was called the same during its existence as a republic within the former Yugoslavia. Did this fact lead to serious problems between Greece and Yugoslavia or between Greece and the Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia? There were misunderstandings now and then, but they never reached a point when they would pose a threat to peace in the region. Is there anything more immature and more foolish than 'blackmailing' a nation by denying its membership in international organizations, which goal is to preserve the peace and protect their members from aggression of non-members", says Eagleburger in an interview with NTV station.

Pertaining to Greek accusations that Macedonia is creating 'antiquisation', Eagleburger stresses it has no right to make the antique Macedonian history its own.

"Greece claims that Macedon or Macedonia, as well as Alexander of Macedonia are its own. This is a false claim and it is time someone confirms this. The Antique Greeks considered Macedonia a half-civilized region, representing a source of raw materials and nothing more. Macedonia's rise in the time of Phillip and his son Alexander was greeted with opposition, resulting in a defeat of several cities. Phillip and Alexander were considered tyrants who destroy Greeks' freedom. The claims of modern Greeks that the antique kingdom of Macedon was their own ignores a huge historic fact", adds Eagleburger.

Due to these facts, he cannot accept the validity of Greece's request for ownership of name Macedonia.

"Antique Greeks had never been eager in claiming Macedonia was theirs and they never accepted either Phillip or Alexander as their own legitimate rulers. The Greek claim about Macedonia is based on historically incorrect information and are therefore not fact-based", says the former U.S. Secretary of State.

Eagleburger has sympathies for the Macedonian people, although he realizes it is not wise for a foreigner to interfere with internal affairs of two states.

"However, my excitement from the strength of character that the Macedonian people has demonstrated in the course of this debate justifies the fact of my taking sides", underlines Lawrence Eagleburger in the NTV interview.
        Pure Gold!
        If he keeps this up Eagleburger will become a national hero! Shit we might even put up a statue of him!(next to the lions)
        On Delchev's sarcophagus you can read the following inscription: "We swear the future generations to bury these sacred bones in the capital of Independent Macedonia. August 1923 Illinden"

Comment

• Prolet
          • Sep 2009

Makedonche, Lawrence Eagleburger knows Macedonia very well and it would be very hard to manipulate him, he was a senior diplomat in the 60s and he knew exactly what our relations are with Greece for a long period.
          МАКЕДОНЕЦ си кога кавал ќе ти ја распара душата,зурла ќе ти го раскине срцето,кога секое влакно од кожата ќе ти се наежи кога ќе видиш шеснаесеткрако сонце,кога до коска ќе те заболи кога ќе слушнеш ПЈРМ,кога немаш ни за леб,а полн си во душата затоа што ја сакаш МАКЕДОНИЈА. МАКЕДОНИЈА во срце те носиме.

Comment

• Vangelovski
            • Sep 2008

Originally posted by TrueMacedonian View Post
            I'm not sure how much of this was Eagleburger's view and how much was journalistic creativity, but whoever put it forward doesn't really 'get it', as suggested in the other thread on the same topic.

The reason Greece's position is unfounded is not because of precedence, which has no place here (if at all anywhere), rather it is unfounded because it violates our individual natural rights AND our collective right to national self-determination.

Although its nice to read something that is seemingly pro-Macedonian for a change, it would be much better for the cause if they actually got it right.
            If my people who are called by my name will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, I will hear from heaven and will forgive their sins and restore their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14

The Revolution was in the minds and hearts of the people; a change in their religious sentiments, of their duties and obligations...This radical change in the principles, opinions, sentiments, and affections of the people was the real American Revolution. John Adams

Comment

• Bratot
              • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Prolet View Post
              Makedonche, Lawrence Eagleburger knows Macedonia very well and it would be very hard to manipulate him, he was a senior diplomat in the 60s and he knew exactly what our relations are with Greece for a long period.
              He was known as 'the Lawrence from Macedonia" because he started his diplomatic career in Macedonia, yes he is a big supporter to us it's good to have such persons on our side.

The purpose of the media is not to make you to think that the name must be changed, but to get you into debate - what name would suit us! - Bratot

Comment

• julie
                • May 2009

Eagleburger is an awesome person, and its heartening to see someone that is pro-Macedonia.
                George, what "other " Macedonia are you talking about ? Its one Macedonia. We are one people, one divided country and people, you have said this before. It doesnt matter from which divided portion we originate from, why do you continue to say there is another Macedonia?
                "The moral revolution - the revolution of the mind, heart and soul of an enslaved people, is our greatest task."__________________Gotse Delchev

Comment

• Frank
                  Banned
                  • Mar 2010

The Bulgars and and Neo-Hellenes believe in their own Macedonia's

To the Macedonians One Country and One people Divided

Comment

• George S.
                    • Aug 2009

You are misrepresenting me & missunderstanding me.From our perspective there is one macedonia ,theres only one macedonian people from the other side which is twisted & full of lies.Greece claims to have greece macedonia ,bulgaria tries to claim that they hold a bulgarian part.The serbs had their side of macedonia & the albanians has the mala prespa.
                    So they can spout their fake crap that greece is macedonia & macedonia is greek.From our side there is only one macedonia & one people.I've only been saying things as a context.Otherwise we don'y go by what crap they make up.
                    "Ido not want an uprising of people that would leave me at the first failure, I want revolution with citizens able to bear all the temptations to a prolonged struggle, what, because of the fierce political conditions, will be our guide or cattle to the slaughterhouse"
                    GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

• Pelister
                      • Sep 2008

In 1888 Lord Salisbury called New Greece the 'blackmailer of Europe'.

Has anything changed?

Is there anything more immature and more foolish than 'blackmailing' a nation by denying its membership in international organizations, which goal is to preserve the peace and protect their members from aggression of non-members", says Eagleburger in an interview with NTV station.

Comment

• Pelister
                        • Sep 2008

Originally posted by George S. View Post
                        I don't think that greece cares any more for the name as it's only a sudden move to counteract the republic of macedonia.Greece wants to be able to dictate to macedonia what their name should be.Originally greece was much tougher & demanded that macedonia should not call itself macedonia as greece had a monopoly on the name.Eg greek is macedonian.That is why greece called macedonia fyrom as greece does not want the world to know that there is another macedonia.Also greece wants macedonia to simply compromise on it's own name.

Greece is only interested in our political extermination.

Look at their historiography. It tells us alot about their intentions.

1. There are no distinctive Macedonians
                        2. Macedonia was an 'ill-defined' region
                        3. It was inhabited by Greeks, Bulgarians, Serbs, Turks and nameless 'Slavs' who had no clear national identity
                        4. The 'Slavs' of Macedonia have always been a highly suspect people

Getting the Macedonians to commit political suicide is about finishing what the invading Greeks started in 1913. The political extermination of the Macedonian Republic is nothing less than the final conquest of Macedonian territory, and the Macedonian 'space'.

Your right also about the Greek 'attack'. It is designed to get us to commit political suicide, but it has another important purpose. The attack is to take important attention away from the circumstances, events surrounding the seizure of Macedonian territory by Greek forces in 1912 and 1913, and its subsequent treatment of the natives they found living there.

I am not raising these points to make a case that Macedonia should be 'unified'. I am highlighting this to make the point that historical and legal injustices have been committed against the indigenous Macedonian population, and that these points need to be addressed. That means confronting Europe with it, becaues ultimately they were behind it.
                        Last edited by Pelister; 09-27-2010, 08:43 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X