X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Risto the Great
    • Sep 2008

Paul Wohlers - New US ambassador to Macedonia

Paul D. Wohlers, a career member of the Senior Foreign Service, was confirmed as U.S. ambassador to the Balkan nation of Macedonia on August 2, 2011. Wohlers has previous experience in Macedonia.

Here is his "job application":

Statement of Paul WohlersAmbassador-designate to the Republic of MacedoniaSenate Foreign Relations CommitteeJuly 13, 2011Madam Chairman and Members of the Committee:It is a privilege to appear before you today as President Obama’s nominee to serve as the United States Ambassador to the Republic of Macedonia. I am honored by the confidence placed in me by the President and Secretary Clinton. If confirmed, I look forward to working with this Committee and the Congress in advancing U.S. interests in Macedonia.

I am delighted and proud to be accompanied today by my family: my wife,Mary Jo, who has held our family together during multiple moves over almost 27years in the Foreign Service; my three daughters and one son-in-law -- first, Racheland her husband Ryan; then Julia; and Jessica. Foreign Service families areunsung heroes and true diplomats themselves -- my wife and daughters have beenliving, working, and going to school overseas for much of their lives, serving asexamples of American values to their friends and colleagues, and sometimes, evenat school, feeling the sting of criticism from those who did not agree with U.S.policies. My life would have been empty without my family, and I am thankfulthat they have always been by my side as we pursued a Foreign Service life together.

As you are aware, I have served previously in Macedonia, an experience which I believe will enhance my effectiveness as Chief of Mission, should you decide to confirm me. If confirmed, I will return to Macedonia during an important period. On September 8, Macedonia will mark the twentieth anniversary of its independence, and August 13 will be the tenth anniversary of the OhridFramework Agreement that ended the country’s civil conflict in 2001. The Framework Agreement, concluded with U.S. and EU help, remains the foundation for Macedonia’s peace and democratic development. The Agreement ended the conflict by addressing ethnic grievances through principles of equal rights for all citizens irrespective of ethnicity. Today, ten years from Ohrid and after 20 years of independence, Macedonia is working towards becoming a stable, multi-ethnic democracy.

There is much more to be done in Macedonia. The citizens of Macedonia deserve congratulations for the June 5 election in which the people turned out in high numbers and behaved peacefully and with dignity. Now is time for the people of Macedonia, along with their leaders, to focus on moving towards greater prosperity, security, stability, and Euro-Atlantic integration. While democratic structures are in place, full respect for the rule of law and independent institutions remains a problem. An independent judiciary, free and independent media, and strong civil society are vital cornerstones for all democracies, and we have concerns about Macedonia’s development in these areas.

The United States is a partner in confronting these challenges. Macedonia's continued reform and integration into the Euro-Atlantic community remains a priority.

Macedonia became a European Union candidate country in 2005 and in December 2009 the European Commission recommended setting a start date for accession negotiations. Macedonia has also made strides in defense reform in order to meet NATO's performance-based standards for membership. At the November 2010 NATO Summit in Lisbon, Allies reaffirmed that Macedonia will receive an invitation to join the Alliance as soon as the dispute with Greece over the name is resolved. We will continue to support the UN process to help Macedonia and Greece find a mutually acceptable solution.

Macedonia has proven itself as a net provider of security as evidenced by its contributions both in the region and globally. Macedonian troops have served honorably in Iraq and Afghanistan. Indeed, Macedonia has been one of the highest per capita contributors to the International Security Assistance Force in Afghanistan. These contributions to regional and global stability reflect our shared values and the depth of our partnership with Macedonia.

If I am confirmed, my foremost priority as Ambassador will be promoting U.S. interests in Macedonia while working to advance Macedonia’s own internal transformation on the path to full Euro-Atlantic integration. I will continue to pursue the U.S. goals of strengthening the rule of law, fighting corruption,promoting economic growth and prosperity, and reinforcing democratic institutions.

Madam Chairman and Members of the Committee, thank you for this opportunity to appear before you. I would be pleased to answer any questions that you may have.
    Risto the Great
    MACEDONIA:ANHEDONIA
    "Holding my breath for the revolution."

Hey, I wrote a bestseller. Check it out: www.ren-shen.com

Comment

• Risto the Great
      • Sep 2008

I find it a little hollow when USA refers to Macedonia as "Macedonia". Given its stance has never swayed from one where it will refer to Macedonia as whatever is agreed between Macedonia & Greece .... and that it is working towards "helping" Macedonia find a new name ... it is just plain hollow.
      Risto the Great

Comment

• makedonche
        • Oct 2008

Originally posted by Risto the Great View Post
        I find it a little hollow when USA refers to Macedonia as "Macedonia". Given its stance has never swayed from one where it will refer to Macedonia as whatever is agreed between Macedonia & Greece .... and that it is working towards "helping" Macedonia find a new name ... it is just plain hollow.
        RTG
        I disagree, they are helping Macedonia to do what the ROM government has chosen to do! Now if we go back a little further in time and investigate what led the ROM govt. to take this path, we will see that the US also helped in that as well! The blame lies with the people of ROM firstly, the diaspora secondly, for not standing up and demanding their rights and the apathy that has come with the slave mentality which continues to be a self imposed burden that Macedonians have yet to shake off - for whatever reasons - mainly I think due to waiting for a hand or help from external sources. Therefore any hint of assistance or promises from EU/membership is greeted with open arms as some sort of saviour for all their problems. This "waiting for help" mindset has manifested itself throughout Macedonians' history for at least the last 100 or so years and the seeds Macedonians continue to sow will reap them a harvest of similar proportions.
        On Delchev's sarcophagus you can read the following inscription: "We swear the future generations to bury these sacred bones in the capital of Independent Macedonia. August 1923 Illinden"

Comment

• Risto the Great
          • Sep 2008

Totally agree with your sentiments makedonche. I would take a slightly different stance regarding the Diaspora. The position of the Diaspora has always been a tougher one than that of the Republic.
          Risto the Great

Comment

• George S.
            • Aug 2009

RTG i can see some kind of a press release there in that how is america helping macedonia.When that is an affirmation to destroy the macedonian identity on the pretext of doing so ??will be admitted to the eu.TRhis press release must remind the macedonian govt is just hollow rhetoric to get macedonia to change her name.if greece has a problem with the name how come it didn't before when macedonia was under yugoslavia & now it has a problem that the province part she holds is really obtained illegally.Where as the ROM wants to call it's country macedonia.THis is of no importance as it does not affect greece in any way.But why is the macedonian govt hell bent on still negotiating the name when they don't need to.
            Last edited by George S.; 08-29-2011, 09:36 AM. Reason: ed
            "Ido not want an uprising of people that would leave me at the first failure, I want revolution with citizens able to bear all the temptations to a prolonged struggle, what, because of the fierce political conditions, will be our guide or cattle to the slaughterhouse"
            GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

• makedonche
              • Oct 2008

We will continue to support the UN process to help Macedonia and Greece find a mutually acceptable solution.
              So therefore if Macedonia does not need a hand to find a solution because it doesn't have a problem - a simple letter to the UN- will the US help Greece in overcoming it's farcical self created name dispute?

Oh yes and this little gem too:-
              and August 13 will be the tenth anniversary of the OhridFramework Agreement that ended the country’s civil conflict in 2001. The Framework Agreement, concluded with U.S. and EU help,
              Fuck you very much for your assistance with this as well!
              Last edited by makedonche; 08-29-2011, 02:37 AM.
              On Delchev's sarcophagus you can read the following inscription: "We swear the future generations to bury these sacred bones in the capital of Independent Macedonia. August 1923 Illinden"

Comment

• Zarni
                Banned
                • May 2011

If anyone and this extends to everyone doesn’t support Macedonia but sits on the Fence and understands our Neighbours POV then they are not our Friend unconditional support or nothing at all

America can ram the European overlords with a sweeping action but they have no desire too we are not Important beyond the Albanian Minority having sways of Influnce

But I tell you this America is given too much credance they can’t do nothing to us if we told them to get lost
                Last edited by Zarni; 08-29-2011, 04:33 AM.

Comment

• Phoenix
                  • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Zarni View Post
                  But I tell you this America is given too much credance they can’t do nothing to us if we told them to get lost
                  zarni, its not as simple as telling the US to "get lost".
                  Uncle Sam has 'dogs' that he keeps on a very tight leash in Macedonia, if the Macedonian Government turns 'cold' on the 'relationship' with the USA, those 'dogs' will be let off the leash as they were in 2001.

This is how the US operates in many places around the world.
                  Last edited by Phoenix; 08-29-2011, 07:13 AM.

Comment

• Zarni
                    Banned
                    • May 2011

If Russia had big Energy Investments in Macedonia (the overnight News of a Russian Investors opening a handful of goal and Mineral Purification plants across Macedonia was fantastic to hear)and if more of the same with Turkey could occur it would change our geo-political worth.

Comment

• julie
                      • May 2009

Could write so much here, but will refrain, Makedonche, you said it well
                      Disgusting, applauding the genocide of a sovereign nation.
                      "The moral revolution - the revolution of the mind, heart and soul of an enslaved people, is our greatest task."__________________Gotse Delchev

Comment

• George S.
                        • Aug 2009

be carefull julie they may be listening.They may get offended by the truth.They keep saying whether it's the us or the eu that it's going to be beneficial if the two sides iron out their differences.They keep telling macedonia to change it's name etc.How is it beneficial & it's going to be mutual which i doubt.It's like a russian roulette but at our peril everytime.
                        "Ido not want an uprising of people that would leave me at the first failure, I want revolution with citizens able to bear all the temptations to a prolonged struggle, what, because of the fierce political conditions, will be our guide or cattle to the slaughterhouse"
                        GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

• Makedonska_Kafana
                          • Aug 2010

Originally posted by Risto the Great View Post
                          Totally agree with your sentiments makedonche. I would take a slightly different stance regarding the Diaspora. The position of the Diaspora has always been a tougher one than that of the Republic.
                          100% true with that ONE on-going exception in Washington DC. - messenger service
                          Last edited by Makedonska_Kafana; 08-29-2011, 11:10 PM.
                          http://www.makedonskakafana.com

Macedonia for the Macedonians

Comment

• Risto the Great
                            • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Makedonska_Kafana View Post
                            100% true with that ONE on-going exception in Washington DC. - messenger service
                            For the benefit of clarity, the exception is UMD.
                            Talking about the name of a sovereign Macedonia after suggesting new names previously, then awarding Gligorov medals. Will they ever learn?

They will no doubt lend a sympathetic ear to Wohlers no matter what rubbish they endure. All this to grasp relevance.
                            Risto the Great

Comment

• makedonche
                              • Oct 2008

RTG

[QUOTE][All this to grasp relevance/QUOTE]

More of an attempt to gain credibility than relevance, I think. The most critical part they have overlooked is the democratic process in establishing the UMD, which as far as i am concerned is on very weak foundations - and not just politically!

Comment

• Makedonska_Kafana
                                • Aug 2010

ALL US ambassador's to Macedonia are puppets!

- why, don't you join and make changes? Simple, I don't kiss government asses at the best of times!
                                Last edited by Makedonska_Kafana; 09-14-2011, 10:04 AM.
                                http://www.makedonskakafana.com

Macedonia for the Macedonians

Comment

Working...
                                X